• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Tabris

Tabris - how did things go at those restaurants? How was communication? I'd be interested in a write-up of your experiences :D

I was with my girl who spoke Japanese, but they spoke english at everywhere but Kikuchi and Kumoro which were small 6-10 people seating restaurants.

Each meal averaged 2-3 hours each as they were all tasting menus.

My favourite place was Pierre Gagnaire. Had an insane view of Tokyo, including Tokyo TV Tower, lit up at night. Also had amazing wine.

I dunno, what do you want to know?

And price!

We did set tasting menus at all restaurants, for 2 people. Put alcohol in brackets

- Sant Pau (2 star) - $589.07 (Sparkling Wine, Red Wine)
- Esquisse (2 star) - $640.50 (Champagne, Red Wine)
- Pierre Gagnaire (2 star) - $1,178.14 (Champagne, Bottle of Wine)
- Kumoro (2 star) - $851.52 (Lots of Sake)
- Fukudaya (2 star) - $1,199.79 (Sake, Plum Wine) - This one was a private room.
- Kikuchi (2 star) - $401.33 (Sake, Plum Wine)

Thriller

My father and I will buy our two week JR rail pass in a while but we will buy a PASMO card at Haneda airport when we arrive.
Our first 4 and final 3 days will be in Tokyo and we will use the PASMO there.

Just some questions :

- How much money should I put on there and what happens to my Yen when it turns out there is still money on there at the end of my Holiday?

- Can I use PASMO in Kyoto/other cities as well?

My father and I will buy our two week JR rail pass in a while but we will buy a PASMO card at Haneda airport when we arrive.
Our first 4 and final 3 days will be in Tokyo and we will use the PASMO there.

Just some questions :

- How much money should I put on there and what happens to my Yen when it turns out there is still money on there at the end of my Holiday?

- Can I use PASMO in Kyoto/other cities as well?

See here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

The JR pass websites have an entry for reserving seats. How necessary is that? I'm guessing I want to reserve seats for longer train rides?

hwalker84

The JR pass websites have an entry for reserving seats. How necessary is that? I'm guessing I want to reserve seats for longer train rides?

I just go to the JR ticket place with my pass the day of or the day prior and reserve seats. I always get the green pass cause I'm a baller like that!

Some trains require seat reservations, like the NEX and the Tohoku Shinkansen (which goes from Tokyo to Aomori/ towards northern Japan).

Seat reservation on trains where it's optional should be done in high traffic periods like Golden Week and new years so you can secure a seat, unless you want to risk not getting on the train or standing for several hours.

I just go to the JR ticket place with my pass the day of or the day prior and reserve seats. I always get the green pass cause I'm a baller like that!

Last time when I went in April 2014 I just reserved seats on the day on the next available train. Worked fine that way at that time.

Jinaar

Last day before Japan.

JR Pass - Check
Hostels booked - Check

Now just have to get to airport and then I'm Golden. So excited dammit!

Some trains require seat reservations, like the NEX and the Tohoku Shinkansen (which goes from Tokyo to Aomori/ towards northern Japan).

Seat reservation on trains where it's optional should be done in high traffic periods like Golden Week and new years so you can secure a seat, unless you want to risk not getting on the train or standing for several hours.

Last time when I went in April 2014 I just reserved seats on the day on the next available train. Worked fine that way at that time.
Thank you both. Also thanks to everyone helping in this thread, it's my first time traveling outside of NA so I have soooo many questions. You guys are the best at answering them.

So how about electrical outlets? I did a google search and it looks like most NA devices will plug in just fine in the Japanese electrical outlets, with the exception of anything heavy duty such as a hair dryer. Is this correct? I can just use the stock NA plugs for smartphones, tablets, portable game devices, etc?

Yeah, the slight voltage difference won't be a big issue we the exception of some high powered devices like hair dryers or curling irons or stuff like that. But also remember that Japan is two pronged, so anything with a grounding prong won't fit (and you shouldn't force it).

hwalker84

Thank you both. Also thanks to everyone helping in this thread, it's my first time traveling outside of NA so I have soooo many questions. You guys are the best at answering them.

So how about electrical outlets? I did a google search and it looks like most NA devices will plug in just fine in the Japanese electrical outlets, with the exception of anything heavy duty such as a hair dryer. Is this correct? I can just use the stock NA plugs for smartphones, tablets, portable game devices, etc?

Yep all your NA stuff should work no problem.

Tabris

Yeah, the slight voltage difference won't be a big issue we the exception of some high powered devices like hair dryers or curling irons or stuff like that. But also remember that Japan is two pronged, so anything with a grounding prong won't fit (and you shouldn't force it).

Just buy a $5 3 prong to 2 prong adapter. That's what I did.

Airport will most likely have something, or hit up a Best Buy before. May not be able to get a cheap version and have to buy some bigger multi-purpose $20 one... but you can always use that for traveling to other regions too.

Wait, Japan doesn't use ground wires? wtf. I can't believe I didn't notice that when I was there.

They do, but only for fridges, stoves and such stuff, like this:
aZ7bd9m.png

Usually no third prong though.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Im back in Tokyo in 2 weeks and I want to get an unlocked Iphone 6.
Is there still a sales freeze there or are there any alternatives?

Buy it in the Apple Store website and put a delivery to your location in Japan.

My flight home on the 19th got cancelled and I got booked onto the same flight on the 20th. I don't know if I'll be able to find a room for the additional night at this point either, I think I'll go ahead and request some form of restitution for this, what a pain.

Zyzyxxz

My flight home on the 19th got cancelled and I got booked onto the same flight on the 20th. I don't know if I'll be able to find a room for the additional night at this point either, I think I'll go ahead and request some form of restitution for this, what a pain.

Talk to the airline, they are usually required to book you a hotel if this happens.

If the airline is being stingy about it, talk to your credit card company that you booked the flight with.

Talk to the airline, they are usually required to book you a hotel if this happens.

If the airline is being stingy about it, talk to your credit card company that you booked the flight with.

I already sent a mail to the airline, but I'm not expecting a reply until next week and by then I'll be in Japan already. Will have to see how it goes.

kubus

If I want to take a Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto next week (Golden Week), how fucked am I?

I heard the trains are usually completely booked during Golden Week and I can't find an online site to reserve or at least see if there are still tickets available. Does such a website exist? Or should I just give up, lol

Keyouta

What's a recommended place to stay in Hakone? I'd also like to climb Mt Fuji. My friends and I are heading there at the end of June for 2 1/2 weeks, and there's 7 of us. I have mostly everything planned out except for Mt Fuji and a stay at a ryokan in Hakone. I'm trying to find a place that will allow tattoos, one of my friends has a sleeve.

hwalker84

What's a recommended place to stay in Hakone? I'd also like to climb Mt Fuji. My friends and I are heading there at the end of June for 2 1/2 weeks, and there's 7 of us. I have mostly everything planned out except for Mt Fuji and a stay at a ryokan in Hakone. I'm trying to find a place that will allow tattoos, one of my friends has a sleeve.

I stayed in this Ryokan http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...igarashimo_gun_Kanagawa_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Had a great stay. I don't know about tattoos though.

I'm going to Japan on a trip with a couple of friends from May 30th to June 8th. Are there any neat events going on during that time? We'll be mostly in Tokyo area.

Ayumi

I'm going to Japan on a trip with a couple of friends from May 30th to June 8th. Are there any neat events going on during that time? We'll be mostly in Tokyo area.
I dunno what stuff you're into. Maybe some of these sound interesting enough?
http://www.tokyoweekender.com/events/naruto-exhibition/
http://www.tokyoweekender.com/events/star-wars-visions/
http://www.tokyoweekender.com/events/british-museum-exhibition/

Music:
http://eventful.com/tokyo/events/categories#!when=2015053100-2015060823&location=city_id|312335

You can search here too, it has a lot of fun stuff:
http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo

If you're leaving June 8th, you might manage to escape Tsuyu (Rain Season).

So I finally didi and I bought tickets to Japan!!!! (going with 2 friends)

We are goin to be 2 weeks at the start of february (arriving at Tokyo). Could you guys recommend some cheap hostals? Our plan is to be out all day and arrive just to sleep and we want onlye the basic accommodations and if it could be possible wifi.

Is there a place like that? This is my first trip out of my country so I´m very excited!!!!!

hwalker84

We are goin to be 2 weeks at the start of february (arriving at Tokyo). Could you guys recommend some cheap hostals? Our plan is to be out all day and arrive just to sleep and we want onlye the basic accommodations and if it could be possible wifi.

Is there a place like that? This is my first trip out of my country so I´m very excited!!!!!

I recommend Khaosan Tokyo Kabuki in Asakusa. What other locations are you thinking? I may have other hostel suggestions.

Zyzyxxz

Have you thought about AirBnB? If you and your friends split it 3 ways it may be cheaper just to rent an apartment than paying separately at hostels which can go for $30-50 per person per night. I've found apartments in the vicinity of Shibuya for $60 per night with 3 beds. But you can often find places with beds and a couch to save money.

lupin23rd

Khaosan has a few decent places around Tokyo for hostels, I'd reserve early just to be safe. The Ninja location in Asakusabashi is a short walk to Akihabara, and an even shorter walk to a Chuo line station which gets you to Shinjuku quick despite being on the opposite side of the city. I'd recommend it.

I was also at one of the locations in Asakudabashi but don't remember if it was the Kabuki location someone else recommended - it was behind the big temple and had just opened in October / November - nice building.

Thanks for the answers. For now, we are thinking thinking to stay at least 3 days in tokyo then going to other places. ( we still haven't made an itinerary) what would you recommend?

SKINNER!

Banned
Just finishing off the itinerary for the Japan trip with my gf at the end of the month. Tokyo/Hakone/Osaka with maybe trips to Yokohama, Kyoto and Nikko. Really excited about Hakone. Shit is gonna be so tranquil :D Meeting up with an old friend who moved back to Tokyo. Hoping to check out the cool bars.

Time to write up the shopping list. Got my eye on those Ghost in the Shell Arise CE Blu-rays. Hope I can find them somewhere.

Top Bottom