• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Am I correct in thinking Airbnb is pretty pricey for something like a 3-month stay? I just started looking at Sakura House (thanks, GAF!), and the prices seem ludicrously cheap. Does that sound right, or is there something I'm missing?

edit: Maybe someone with experience can reassure me, but is Sakura House generally pretty reliable? I'm just worried that, with no reviews, my girlfriend and I might wind up with something that isn't as advertised. I mentioned this on the previous page, but we'll both be working from home for ~25 hours a week. We can't really compromise when it comes to Internet/cleanliness.

dani_dc

Am I correct in thinking Airbnb is pretty pricey for something like a 3-month stay? I just started looking at Sakura House (thanks, GAF!), and the prices seem ludicrously cheap. Does that sound right, or is there something I'm missing?

edit: Maybe someone with experience can reassure me, but is Sakura House generally pretty reliable? I'm just worried that, with no reviews, my girlfriend and I might wind up with something that isn't as advertised. I mentioned this on the previous page, but we'll both be working from home for ~25 hours a week. We can't really compromise when it comes to Internet/cleanliness.

I'm in a Sakura house at the moment, for a place I basically come to sleep it's decent enough to live by. You have to clean your own room yourself, the common areas are cleaned once a week by a manager, how dirty they get depends on your apartment mates.

Internet can be a bit shitty, especially at hours where most people are in the bulding, also torrents are blocked if you want to use torrents.
My bigger complaint that the bathroom is pretty cramped (and doesn't has a washlet) but that would depend of each apartment I suppose.

There's also the potential issues of apartment mates if you're sharing an apartment, but that's not really something you can plan for.

I know some other people that are also in a Sakura House and none of them had any particular complaints.

I also know some people that used this two places to book a place to stay: http://tokyosharehouse.com/eng/ (This one seems to be an aggregate site that then points you to the owner)
http://www.oakhouse.jp/eng/

Im in a house from Airbnb for 3 months and it isnt too bad. I get my own room and good internet . We have a common kitchen area and I would recommend it. I haven't been to a Sakura house but my roommates have had bad experiences with them. I'm in shibuya and it was around $2000 for all 3 months.

I'm in a Sakura house at the moment, for a place I basically come to sleep it's decent enough to live by. You have to clean your own room yourself, the common areas are cleaned once a week by a manager, how dirty they get depends on your apartment mates.

Internet can be a bit shitty, especially at hours where most people are in the bulding, also torrents are blocked if you want to use torrents.
My bigger complaint that the bathroom is pretty cramped (and doesn't has a washlet) but that would depend of each apartment I suppose.

There's also the potential issues of apartment mates if you're sharing an apartment, but that's not really something you can plan for.

I know some other people that are also in a Sakura House and none of them had any particular complaints.

I also know some people that used this two places to book a place to stay: http://tokyosharehouse.com/eng/ (This one seems to be an aggregate site that then points you to the owner)
http://www.oakhouse.jp/eng/

Im in a house from Airbnb for 3 months and it isnt too bad. I get my own room and good internet . We have a common kitchen area and I would recommend it. I haven't been to a Sakura house but my roommates have had bad experiences with them. I'm in shibuya and it was around $2000 for all 3 months.

Thanks, guys. I'm just going to go with airbnb because I suspect these apartments are more suited to our needs than Sakura House. Again, we'll be working, so we need a place that's relatively comfortable.

That being said, I'm trying to decide between two different places:

Apartment 1: Located in Setagaya right next to the Meidaimae Station. It's a studio, which is annoying because my girlfriend and I both teach online. This means that one of us will have to teach in the hallway. This is obviously not ideal. Westerner-owned apartment.
Pros: balcony, purportedly fast internet (essential for work), location
Cons: slightly sterile, small.

Apartment 2: Located on the outskirts of Meguro ("Meguro-ku"), this one's a 10-15 minute walk from the nearest train station (Toritsu Daigaku). The apartment is well-furnished, spacious, and very homey. It'll be very comfortable for us to work here in the mornings. One of our main concerns is that none of the reviews mention the internet speed, which is very important to us. Is it pretty safe to assume it'll be fast? Our jobs require us to chat via webcam. This apartment is Japanese-owned.
Pros: big, pretty, well-furnished
Cons: location, internet speed is a mystery (none of the reviews mention it being a problem...)

I'm definitely partial to the second option, but I'm wondering if anyone here can weigh in. Does the second apartment's neighborhood sound inconvenient?

Zyzyxxz

Thanks, guys. I'm just going to go with airbnb because I suspect these apartments are more suited to our needs than Sakura House. Again, we'll be working, so we need a place that's relatively comfortable.

Apartment 1: Located in Setagaya right next to the Meidaimae Station. It's a studio, which is annoying because my girlfriend and I both teach online. This means that one of us will have to teach in the hallway. This is obviously not ideal. Westerner-owned apartment.

Apartment 2: Located on the outskirts of Meguro ("Meguro-ku"), this one's a 10-15 minute walk from the nearest train station (Toritsu Daigaku). The apartment is well-furnished, spacious, and very homey. It'll be very comfortable for us to work here in the mornings. One of our main concerns is that none of the reviews mention the internet speed, which is very important to us. Is it pretty safe to assume it'll be fast? Our jobs require us to chat via webcam. This apartment is Japanese-owned.
Cons: location, internet speed is a mystery (none of the reviews mention it being a problem...)

I'm definitely partial to the second option, but I'm wondering if anyone here can weigh in. Does the second apartment's neighborhood sound inconvenient?

To be honest I think it's safe to say your internet will be faster than anything you are use to in any general area of Tokyo. Does the 10-15 minute walk to the station annoy you? That for me would be the biggest issue after personal space.

My wife used to live in an apartment near Toritsu-Daigaku. I spent a lot of time there, it's a great area. There are a lot of cool neighborhoods right next to Toritsu-Dai too, like Nakameguro and Jiyugaoka. But both apartments are positioned pretty well, really. You're on the west side right near Shibuya, exactly where you want to be. So I'd say go with more living space.

Edit: oh man now you've really made me jealous. Living and enjoying Tokyo, and only working 25 hours a week? Enjoy it man!

Ayumi

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the Hakone volcano activity has been upgraded to level 2, with possibilities of small eruptions.
Some trains are suspended and limited resort access have been set (including hiking, etc).

Owakudani area has been evacuated, along with Hakone Ropeway, and probably more.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20150506-00000010-jij-soci

There will probably be an English article for this within the day.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the Hakone volcano activity has been upgraded to level 2, with possibilities of small eruptions.
Some trains are suspended and limited resort access have been set (including hiking, etc).

Owakudani area has been evacuated, along with Hakone Ropeway, and probably more.

Crap. Going there on Friday. Am I already dead?

dani_dc

Hopefully just a false alarm.

Crap. Going there on Friday. Am I already dead?

Maybe a change of plans to play it safe?

JardeL

Hey guys, I'll be at Nagoya City for about a month for a course and weekends will probably be free. Been in Tokyo and Yokohama before but I'd like to visit Tokyo again if possible. Never been in Kyoto and looking forward to visit it, if I'm not mistaken Nagoya to Kyoto is around 30 mins with bullet train. Like to know "what to do in Nagoya" and advices on weekend trips. Thanks in advance!

I know it's been said before, but given how often people are going on trips I figured I'd ask again :) What places have you been to that really exceeded expectations? Ideally places that aren't frequently talked about.

I'm going for my fourth trip in February for the Sapporo Snow Festival/Wonder Festival/Japan Amusement Expo, but I've already done most of the usual places. Did you find anywhere that no one seems to be talking about that really blew your mind?

This is how I felt when I visited Enoshima on a whim
(and definitely not because the group wanted to try octopus crackers...)
as it just isn't talked about that much.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

hwalker84

I know it's been said before, but given how often people are going on trips I figured I'd ask again :) What places have you been to that really exceeded expectations? Ideally places that aren't frequently talked about.

I'm going for my fourth trip in February for the Sapporo Snow Festival/Wonder Festival/Japan Amusement Expo, but I've already done most of the usual places. Did you find anywhere that no one seems to be talking about that really blew your mind?

Miyajima exceeded my expectations.

My suggestion isn't mind blowing, but it was a wonderful day on our last trip in April 2014.

If you're down in Osaka, take the Hankyu Takarazuka line to Hankyu Umeda station and then ride the Minoh line all the way to very last stop. Once there, do the hike up to the Minoh waterfall. It's super easy and not very long but really nice.

Before heading back to Osaka, get off at Makiochi Station on the Minoh line and walk over to Minoh Brewing. Minoh makes some of the best craft beer I've had in Japan and they don't get a lot of foreigners, but are very appreciative of people who come to visit.

Cedric

Posted in this topic a couple of pages back saying I was planning on traveling to Japan with my gf, finally bought my plane ticket (1200 US$ lol) and I'm now looking for places to stay. Before diving into AirBnB and Hostelworld, does anyone have tips on the best central locations in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto? Should I be looking for particular spots (like in walking distance of the main downtown areas) or is the transportation system good enough that I can be pretty much anywhere within these cities?

Zyzyxxz

Posted in this topic a couple of pages back saying I was planning on traveling to Japan with my gf, finally bought my plane ticket (1200 US$ lol) and I'm now looking for places to stay. Before diving into AirBnB and Hostelworld, does anyone have tips on the best central locations in Osaka, Tokyo and Kyoto? Should I be looking for particular spots (like in walking distance of the main downtown areas) or is the transportation system good enough that I can be pretty much anywhere within these cities?

For Tokyo I recommend staying somewhere with plenty of stuff to do at night if you want to stay out late because you don't want to be stuck out after the trains stop 12-1ish unless you don't mind paying for a taxi which is notoriously expensive in Tokyo.

hwalker84

Osaka (Namba or Shinsaibashi) You will be in the middle of the Nightlife and Food scene.

Tokyo I usually stay in Asakusa but at night there's nothing really going on. If you stayed in Shibuya or Shinjuku you'd have a crazy time.

Kyoto - I stayed in Santiago Guesthouse Kyoto and felt it was a close enough walk to downtown Kyoto.

Wife and I rented an apartment (AirBNB) in Den Den Town (Namba area) while in Osaka. We could see Osaka Gundams from our balcony. We had no clue when we booked it and only found out once we got there.

We had an apartment in Sangenjaya this past trip in Tokyo. It's not on a big train line, but it was super close walking distance to Shimokitazawa, which is our kind of nightlife.

ccbfan

The wife and I are heading to Japan and Taiwan in November. Looking for some recommendations. (Food is going to be a highlight of this trip)

The current plan is to

Fly into Tokyo from New York
Stay in Japan for 4.5 days.
Fly out of Osaka to Taiwan
Stay in Taiwan for 3.5 days.

We plan to stay in Tokyo for 2 days and then take the Bullet train to the Osaka region and fly out of there to Taiwan.

Some of the things we want to do in Japan

1. Go to fish market.
2. Go to Kyoto for day trip.
3. Spend a night at a Onsen Ryokan (With private onsen and traditional Japanese dinner)
4. Have a nice Kobe Beef Dinner
5. Have a nice Sushi dinner.

Taiwan its whatever my wife plans she has friends there and always wanted to go there.

Any recommendations on my list or off my list would be appreciates.

While we don't have an unlimited budget we're also not going as poor college students.

6-8 grand is our budget.

We already spent 2000 on flights.

We plan to spend another 2000 on room (Including Onsen Ryokan).

So we have 2-4 grand to actually spend on day to day stuff.

Probably 1500 - 3000 in Japan and 500 to 1000 in Taiwan.

Hopefully the dollar stays strong and the yen stays weak.

Thanks in advance.

Cedric

For Tokyo I recommend staying somewhere with plenty of stuff to do at night if you want to stay out late because you don't want to be stuck out after the trains stop 12-1ish unless you don't mind paying for a taxi which is notoriously expensive in Tokyo.

Osaka (Namba or Shinsaibashi) You will be in the middle of the Nightlife and Food scene.

Tokyo I usually stay in Asakusa but at night there's nothing really going on. If you stayed in Shibuya or Shinjuku you'd have a crazy time.

Kyoto - I stayed in Santiago Guesthouse Kyoto and felt it was a close enough walk to downtown Kyoto.

Thanks to the both of you!

Darksol

The wife and I are heading to Japan and Taiwan in November. Looking for some recommendations. (Food is going to be a highlight of this trip)

The current plan is to

Fly into Tokyo from New York
Stay in Japan for 4.5 days.
Fly out of Osaka to Taiwan
Stay in Taiwan for 3.5 days.

We plan to stay in Tokyo for 2 days and then take the Bullet train to the Osaka region and fly out of there to Taiwan.

Some of the things we want to do in Japan

1. Go to fish market.
2. Go to Kyoto for day trip.
3. Spend a night at a Onsen Ryokan (With private onsen and traditional Japanese dinner)
4. Have a nice Kobe Beef Dinner
5. Have a nice Sushi dinner.

Taiwan its whatever my wife plans she has friends there and always wanted to go there.

Any recommendations on my list or off my list would be appreciates.

While we don't have an unlimited budget we're also not going as poor college students.

6-8 grand is our budget.

We already spent 2000 on flights.

We plan to spend another 2000 on room (Including Onsen Ryokan).

So we have 2-4 grand to actually spend on day to day stuff.

Probably 1500 - 3000 in Japan and 500 to 1000 in Taiwan.

Hopefully the dollar stays strong and the yen stays weak.

Thanks in advance.

You want to be in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and Kobe in 4.5 days? That sounds busy as hell :eek:

StMeph

I have about a 7-8 day window to plan for a trip to Japan, and having booked anything yet, so it's flexible, but the timing is a bit unfortunate because only August is available, which I understand to be peak season everywhere for summer holidays.

I notice several people noting that you can fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka. Is this a normal/easy flight to book, or is it two one-ways?

How reasonable is an itinerary that includes 3 days in Tokyo, 2 in Kyoto, and 1 each for Hiroshima and Miyajima, 8th and final day just for traveling, either back to Osaka or Tokyo and then the outbound flight? Onsen in Kanto or Kansai?

Is there a better way to organize the trip? How complicated is it to book some of these things as an English-speaking foreigner? I'm more comfortable there with phrases and gestures, but I'm more concerned trying to get stuff done in advance because of the language barriers.

Edit: it looks like Hokkaido might be a fun location too, but I don't know how realistic it is to fit that in, and turn it into a cross-country trip

ccbfan

You want to be in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and Kobe in 4.5 days? That sounds busy as hell :eek:

Well its really going to be.

Stay 2 nights in Tokyo and 2 nights in Osaka.

Kyoto will be a day trip from Osaka and then back to Osaka for night activities (I heard Kyoto's pretty dead at night and Osaka is the food capital of Japan)

Got an Osaka Kobe beef recommendation in Tsurugyu.

The only thing that can really throw a wench in my plans is that Onsen Ryokan.

dani_dc

Tokyo Indie Fest was quite a fun experience, I'll be back there tomorrow.

bSOKTBB.jpg

8cGEhQT.jpg

3wVDzuS.jpg

XzhxVnl.jpg

05GgRtH.jpg

ft9VhmA.jpg

hFgMmxS.jpg

pOJJica.jpg

QGXFOzZ.jpg

BHBggVe.jpg

yu1l4fp.jpg

This totally count as pictures from Japan.

Also saw this at Akiba today:

It was creepy. Especially the customers.

But isn't that what makes it an interesting experience?

I went to one. It was really, really embarrassing >.> lol

Cure cafe is the one you want for a non-creppy experience, it's basically a regular cafe with maids that are ridiculous polite to you while they're dressed with really long dresses unlike the other places, and you won't find them advertising in the street. Food was fine and not particularly overpriced.They even have a certificate from Japan tea association.

It was also apparently the very first maid cafe before the whole concept went off rails into the direction it went today, so there's always that curiosity.

I'll have to try one of the other maid cafes just to experience it and see how it is though.

SteaG

How difficult is it to visit concerts in Japan?

Rock, Indie, Metal sort of. Smaller venues would be great.
I suppose it depends a lot on your japanese reading skills (to use the machines in convenience stores), and what type of concerts/artists you want to see.
On my first trip to Japan, I went to a very small place (Zher the Zoo in Yoyogi) to see a small indie band discovered by chance on Twitter. I just went there and bought a ticket with my broken Japanese.
But last year, as I definitely wanted to see Apogee at Club Quattro in Shibuya, I bought my ticket very early at Japan Concert Tickets. JCT sent me the ticket directly at home (in France), via EMS. The JCT website is also interesting as it explains a little bit how the whole system works in Japan.

Thanks for the website. I'll look into that.

I thought about just going to a smaller concert place in Tokyo like what you described.

So adresses to interesting venues would be nice, too.

Ok. For those joining the meetup tomorrow, we can meet in front of the Humax (It has a big sign that says Humax on it as well) building Mo Mo Paradise is in, from about 17:20 near this statue:

It's on the south-east corner of the building. If you're walking in from Kabukicho:

Then the statue is just straight ahead from there. If you're not walking in from Kabukicho, then it's the side that's closest to the Toho building with the big Godzilla head on top.

At 17:30 we'll go up, so if you're late then just take the elevator up to the 8th floor and ask for the Mr. Gurren party.

Sounds good, I arrived in Tokyo this afternoon and am currently staying in a hostel near Ryogoku station. The hostel itself is pretty shit but atleast I already ended up spending too much in Akiba so we're off to a good start on that front. I'll see you all tomorrow, I'm the guy with the shortly shaved hair, beard and glasses wearing turquoise pants.

dani_dc

Ok. For those joining the meetup tomorrow, we can meet in front of the Humax (It has a big sign that says Humax on it as well) building Mo Mo Paradise is in, from about 17:20 near this statue:

It's on the south-east corner of the building. If you're walking in from Kabukicho:

Then the statue is just straight ahead from there. If you're not walking in from Kabukicho, then it's the side that's closest to the Toho building with the big Godzilla head on top.

At 17:30 we'll go up, so if you're late then just take the elevator up to the 8th floor and ask for the Mr. Gurren party.
Sounds good!

I approve of "Mr. Gurren", doubly so if that's your actual name :p

Sounds good, I arrived in Tokyo this afternoon and am currently staying in a hostel near Ryogoku station. The hostel itself is pretty shit but atleast I already ended up spending too much in Akiba so we're off to a good start on that front. I'll see you all tomorrow, I'm the guy with the shortly shaved hair, beard and glasses wearing turquoise pants.

I really should cut my hair before going (haven't done so since coming to Japan), but I doubt I'll have time to do so tomorrow, so if you see a guy with the half-assed beard, glasses and big messy hair there's a decent chance that's me.

Sounds good!

I approve of "Mr. Gurren", doubly so if that's your actual name :p

Hehe.

In a hostel in Asakusa here. It's not the best and not the worst place I've stayed in.

Hehe.

In a hostel in Asakusa here. It's not the best and not the worst place I've stayed in.

I should've done a bit more research, the hostel that we stayed at in Osaka (Weekly Green in Namba, would recommend) gave us a private bathroom, kitchen, room with desk and television.

This place only has a bunk bed, very awkwardly positioned power outlets and the rest of the facilities are public. Due to it being in Tokyo it's more expensive as well.

kubus

You're in Anne Hostel Yokozuna by any chance? I absolutely loved that place! Ryogoku9090 :D

Anyway I'll be the super awkward girl with the ハーフ asian-but-not-really-asian face :p.

You're in Anne Hostel Yokozuna by any chance? I absolutely loved that place! Ryogoku9090 :D

Anyway I'll be the super awkward girl with the ハーフ asian-but-not-really-asian face :p.

We are indeed, the Hostel run by the Black (or in this case White) Hand of Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood.

kubus

We are indeed, the Hostel run by the Black Hand of Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood.
Hahaha, aww too bad you don't like it there. Loved the staff there, very friendly. The guy with the Champagne nickname is very funny. The place was kinda shabby overall but for €100 for six nights you didn't hear me complaining :p. Best showers I've had in Japan so far, too.

Top Bottom