• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Thanks for the tips, Kobe sounds interesting as well. Already did Path of Philosophy and Ginkakuji during the cherry blossom season last time, really amazing. Also visited the Fushimi Inari Shrine but never went to the top or via the back trail. Will look more into that, thanks.

How interesting is Osaka as a city to explore?

it's a big modern city with a good mix of the old. try the Osaka Castle (personally I think it's not as good as Hemiji even thou it's still pretty cool, so maybe go to that first before go to Hemiji). there's a big aquarium call Kaiyukan at the Osaka Bay which is pretty cool. one of the tanks inside has 2 whale sharks amounts other hundreds of fishes swimming around and it's really awesome. and of course you'll have to go to Dotonbori, with all the restaurants, food stores and entertainment. it really feels like the heart of the city at night.

btw, for Kyoto, look into going to the Arashiyama area. I missed my chance to go this time but from what I read it's very nice.

well, in FUK right now and waiting for check in. 3 weeks gone by so fast. I had a wonderful time here in Japan, just like before, and I'll be working on a list of what I'll do and where I'll go for the next trip soon. Mailenstein, thanks again for your hospitality and I'll be sure to return it if you come visit the states. and of course, many thanks to Mike and Ayumi for all the sound advice.

btw, is renting a car for travel in Japan a good idea? I'm kinda thinking about that since a lot of the places I like to go are pretty out of the way and often only has limited public transportation choices.

Cedric

Would you do more of Japan than just Tokyo or just stay there? Seems like there are unending things to do either way.

I'm no expert and I'm being quite frugal but my flights were the single most expensive item and it has surprised me how cheap accommodation can be done if you're willing to put in the research. I'm betting a lot of people who say it's expensive stay in lots of swanky hotels and traditional Japanese style apartments. When we first started looking at Kyoto for example we were getting insane prices and sadly we'd booked too late to get the cheap hostels. We could have written it off but it's a short train ride away from Osaka and Nara so we just stayed there and got the train in.

We've only stayed in one place that was more than say £40-50 a night and that was a spa hotel with onsen / hot spring baths - we've stayed in a fair few places that are way cheaper. The capsule hotel I'm in currently isn't great compared to the other hostels but it's clean, has great amenities and is £11 a night. Its men only by the way, a lot of them are - my girlfriend had to go home before me (work commitments). I haven't totted it up yet but I had to guess it's cost something like £400 for three weeks, plus money on food and days out. Plus a JR pass at circa 250 for 14 days.

You've got a lot of time to save so decide if you need that JR pass and aim for ¥30000 a week minimum would be my suggestion. More if you want to have a really good time.. and/or if you're a nightlife person.

Thanks a lot for the info! We definitely want to do more than just Tokyo, we were thinking of doing Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. I haven't done much reading yet on the different destinations, but those three we're pretty much set on going. Thanks for the costs as well, it's giving me a pretty good idea of what to expect. We intend on staying in hostels, so we won't be spending a lot on fancy hotels.

read the OP and check out the links there. it helps a lot.

where are you flying out of (from)? have you travel to other countries before? what's your general budget/bottom line?

if you book you flights early enough (like 3 months before your trip) you should get some pretty good prices. personally I've never been to Korea so I can't tell you how cool it is (thou I heard it's pretty cool). wait you're talking about South Korea, not "Best Korea" (you know, of the "great leader") right lol?

anyway, I suggest you stick with one country for your trip. both of these two countries have a lot of things you can see and places to go, so one would be more then enough even for a month.

assuming you're going to Japan, I imagine you'll need at least $900 per person for flight. a little over $100 for a wifi hotspot device (seriously useful). maybe a JR pass if you don't plan on staying in Tokyo the whole trip (that'll be around $500 gor 21 days). so that'll be $1400 per person already (plus $100+ for one wifi to share between the 2 of you). as for accommodations, OP has a few links like Airbnb and what not so you can start there. if you do the research and plan ahead, you won't have to pay much at all. the rest would be on transportation cost and food. I LOVE eating so I spent a little more on that but if you're fine with just riceballs, beef bowls and ramen, then it won't cost too much either. transportation won't be too bad either for the most part, especially if you already got a JR pass. you can start from these I guess.

Thank you, that was very helpful! I have travelled before, mostly in Africa but I did work 3 months in South East Asia and did a lil bit of travelling there as well. I'm flying from Canada, I'm expecting to drop 1500$ on a round trip plane ticket (this seems to be about the average price I'm catching online). I don't really have a budget, I'm thinking maybe around 4000$ max excluding my plane ticket?I'll also have to check out the different passes, I haven't really thought about that yet. Regarding Korea, I definitely meant South korea haha. Thanks again, super helpful!

well, in FUK right now and waiting for check in. 3 weeks gone by so fast. I had a wonderful time here in Japan, just like before, and I'll be working on a list of what I'll do and where I'll go for the next trip soon. Mailenstein, thanks again for your hospitality and I'll be sure to return it if you come visit the states. and of course, many thanks to Mike and Ayumi for all the sound advice.

btw, is renting a car for travel in Japan a good idea? I'm kinda thinking about that since a lot of the places I like to go are pretty out of the way and often only has limited public transportation choices.
It was our pleasure! Thanks for joining us the two days, it was so much fun! Makes me wanna go to the west coast now hehe.

Thanks a lot for the info! We definitely want to do more than just Tokyo, we were thinking of doing Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. I haven't done much reading yet on the different destinations, but those three we're pretty much set on going. Thanks for the costs as well, it's giving me a pretty good idea of what to expect. We intend on staying in hostels, so we won't be spending a lot on fancy hotels.

Thank you, that was very helpful! I have travelled before, mostly in Africa but I did work 3 months in South East Asia and did a lil bit of travelling there as well. I'm flying from Canada, I'm expecting to drop 1500$ on a round trip plane ticket (this seems to be about the average price I'm catching online). I don't really have a budget, I'm thinking maybe around 4000$ max excluding my plane ticket?I'll also have to check out the different passes, I haven't really thought about that yet. Regarding Korea, I definitely meant South korea haha. Thanks again, super helpful!

$4000 for 2 to use for a month should be enough if you're mostly staying in hostels. like I said, book early since lots of the less expensive places would get book up fast and also the earlier you book the less it'll cost you. I do suggest maybe book an onsen ryokan for a night or two during the last part of your trip if you can swing it. the experience alone is well worth it plus the price includes dinner and breakfast usually. nothing like soaking in the hot springs to wash the wary of your long journey away.

Cedric

$4000 for 2 to use for a month should be enough if you're mostly staying in hostels. like I said, book early since lots of the less expensive places would get book up fast and also the earlier you book the less it'll cost you. I do suggest maybe book an onsen ryokan for a night or two during the last part of your trip if you can swing it. the experience alone is well worth it plus the price includes dinner and breakfast usually. nothing like soaking in the hot springs to wash the wary of your long journey away.

I meant to say 4000 for me only, if you think 4000 is enough for 2 then that's great to hear lol! Thanks once again for the advice!

I meant to say 4000 for me only, if you think 4000 is enough for 2 then that's great to hear lol! Thanks once again for the advice!

yeah, I was kinda thinking if you really stay in hostel and coach surfing and keep tight on food maybe it's enough, but yeah, if it's $4k each then you have no problem.

Jinaar

Hopefully my last question. Been looking at Hakone Ryokans and really having a hard time finding one that meets my expectations. I'm really trying to find a traditional Ryokan in Hakone that has an outdoor onsen/hot spring that is surrounded by nature. Kijitei Hoeiso looks to be my best selection. Does anyone know of this place or of one similar they would recommend? Cheers folks and thanks again for being such a great OT group!!

Tabris

I'm flying out of Japan. Have so many stories. What an awesome experience.

Only thing I wanted to ask quickly - Is Fuji tv a big deal? And if so, what is the tv show that plays on 12:30am during the week day? Because I will be on it :O

And any chance one of you could record it if I gave you all the details?

Only thing I wanted to ask quickly - Is Fuji tv a big deal? And if so, what is the tv show that plays on 12:30am during the week day? Because I will be on it :O

It's one of the larger TV stations in Japan for sure. I don't watch much TV here but I know I do get it on my basic cable set-up (something like six channels). Their logo has been embedded in my brain from the ending credits of Iron Chef and some other famous shows that were brought over to America.

I understood that as Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, so this might be it.
http://tv.yahoo.co.jp/program/2215213/

come on! give us more detail than that! how you get to be on a show? anybody that looks remotely famous/cute/hot on there? was there anything crazy involved? from that show description it seems to involve something sbout 3 people and April fools and stuff. did you got pranked on? lol details man!

Hopefully my last question. Been looking at Hakone Ryokans and really having a hard time finding one that meets my expectations. I'm really trying to find a traditional Ryokan in Hakone that has an outdoor onsen/hot spring that is surrounded by nature. Kijitei Hoeiso looks to be my best selection. Does anyone know of this place or of one similar they would recommend? Cheers folks and thanks again for being such a great OT group!!

never been there so I'm not sure but just from looking around on the internet,

Fukuzumiro
http://www.fukuzumi-ro.com/facilities/facilities.html

and

Ichinoyu
http://www.ichinoyu.co.jp/shinkan/index.html

might not be exactly what you're looking for and I haven't check the price yet but those seem like a start.

kubus

Japanese tv sure loves foreigners.

Actually I was on Fuji TV as well last week (just a 5 sec clip cut from what must be 30 minutes of footage, lol). It was totally embarrassing though so I'm glad they only gave me that little screentime, haha. But everytime I watch tv here there's always something about foreigners going on!

Unfortunately I can't record the program for you Tabris, no tv allowed after 11 PM in my dorm :(

Ayumi

As long as you guys try to avoid TV shows where they make fun of foreigners on purpose, like YOUは何しに日本へ? that harasses people on the airport. They're fun to watch but I do feel bad for the people on the show..

dani_dc

How are you guys ending on Japanese TV anyway?

watch out on the umeshu, those are pretty strong and packs a kick.

bunny cafe huh? that little bunny does look pretty cute, thou I was sort of expecting the other kind of bunny before I saw the picture lol. I missed out on the cat cafe but I heard there's a owl cafe in Hakata, think I'll give that a try before leaving.

Thanks for the warning, though I haven't had more than one in a row.
First one I had didn't taste like alcohol at all, I was actually wondering if it had any relevant quantity of it, the one I tasted the day after you could definitively taste the alcohol.
Japan Trip 2015 Album http://1drv.ms/1aUy2iz

Any missing albums from the OP? I feel like there have been some members that have gone since I last updated.

I can't seem to be able to access the album, says the "item" might not exist or no longer be available.

Curious to see if I can find myself in the Tsukiji market.

hwalker84

How are you guys ending on Japanese TV anyway?

Thanks for the warning, though I haven't had more than one in a row.
First one I had didn't taste like alcohol at all, I was actually wondering if it had any relevant quantity of it, the one I tasted the day after you could definitively taste the alcohol.

I can't seem to be able to access the album, says the "item" might not exist or no longer be available.

Curious to see if I can find myself in the Tsukiji market.

Yeah that's my fault. I'm incredibly anal and one of my videos had the incorrect date taken exif data. I just fixed it but I'm waiting for Onedrive to update my changes before I create a new link.

Also rereading your post you may have gone the day prior to me. We'll see.

dani_dc

Yeah that's my fault. I'm incredibly anal and one of my videos had the incorrect date taken exif data. I just fixed it but I'm waiting for Onedrive to update my changes before I create a new link.

Also rereading your post you may have gone the day prior to me. We'll see.

Fair enough, I can definitively understand doing that.

I went last Thrusday->Friday (So technically friday morning) if that helps.

Jinaar

never been there so I'm not sure but just from looking around on the internet,

Fukuzumiro
http://www.fukuzumi-ro.com/facilities/facilities.html

and

Ichinoyu
http://www.ichinoyu.co.jp/shinkan/index.html

might not be exactly what you're looking for and I haven't check the price yet but those seem like a start.

Thanks for the information! I went ahead with Kijitei Hoeiso @ http://www.hoeiso.jp/English.html because damn the place looks heavenly. Booked 2 nights. I'm going to get the most out of this Ryokan.

15 more days before Japannnnnnnnnn.

As long as you guys try to avoid TV shows where they make fun of foreigners on purpose, like YOUは何しに日本へ? that harasses people on the airport. They're fun to watch but I do feel bad for the people on the show..
First time that I hear somebody say that YOUは何しに日本へ?makes purposely fun of foreigners and harasses them. I watch that every week and never felt even a little bit like that. How come?

ninanuam

Banned
I just picked up tickets to the sumo tournament for Monday 18 may.

there were only a few days left, most days had no tix available.

If you're interested you should probably get them soon

dani_dc

Quoting for new page:

Oh damn, that site seems to be sold out for the 12th at that time.

The official site still seems have tickets though it's 6000-6500 yen.
Any other place "safe" place to reserve a ticket or should I just go and get it through there?

That will teach me to stop procrastinate D:

Ok lets be honest, it really won't, I'll just procrastinate again some other thing cause I never learn.

Ah. I went Saturday morning.

Ah ok, guess I won't be seeing myself on the pictures then!

Tabris

So I did the following on my trip:

- Shopped in Ginza
- Went to Ladure in Ginza
- Shopped in Shibuya
- Shopped in Akihabara
- Went drinking in Roppongi
- Went to a Maid Cafe (too creepy)
- Went to a Vampire Cafe
- Went to an Alice in Wonderland Cafe
- Went to Tokyo Disneyland
- Went to Tokyo Skytree
- Went to Ferris Wheel in Odaiba
- Walked Meijin Shrine and Park Area
- Went to Lost in Translation bar in Park Hyatt Hotel

Went to the following restaurants:

- Sant Pau (2 star)
- Esquisse (2 star)
- Pierre Gagnaire (2 star)
- Kumoro (2 star)
- Fukudaya (2 star)
- Kikuchi (2 star)

So I did the following on my trip:

- Shopped in Ginza
- Went to Ladure in Ginza
- Shopped in Shibuya
- Shopped in Akihabara
- Went drinking in Roppongi
- Went to a Maid Cafe (too creepy)
- Went to a Vampire Cafe
- Went to an Alice in Wonderland Cafe
- Went to Tokyo Disneyland
- Went to Tokyo Skytree
- Went to Ferris Wheel in Odaiba
- Walked Meijin Shrine and Park Area
- Went to Lost in Translation bar in Park Hyatt Hotel

Went to the following restaurants:

- Sant Pau (2 star)
- Esquisse (2 star)
- Pierre Gagnaire (2 star)
- Kumoro (2 star)
- Fukudaya (2 star)
- Kikuchi (2 star)

nice! so jelly with the bolded. what's the total damage on these restaurants if you don't mind me asking?

Tabris

nice! so jelly with the bolded. what's the total damage on these restaurants if you don't mind me asking?

We did set tasting menus at all restaurants, for 2 people. Put alcohol in brackets

- Sant Pau (2 star) - $589.07 (Champagne, Red Wine)
- Esquisse (2 star) - $640.50 (Champagne)
- Pierre Gagnaire (2 star) - $1,178.14 (Champagne, Bottle of Wine)
- Kumoro (2 star) - $851.52 (Lots of Sake)
- Fukudaya (2 star) - $1,199.79 (Sake, Plum Wine) - This one was a private room.
- Kikuchi (2 star) - $401.33 (Sake, Plum Wine)

dani_dc

Heh. Strange. Were like 50 tickets left last time I checked.

Try buying from here:
http://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/tokyo/a/109436

Make sure you select the right time. You want the 19:50 show.

Thanks, ended up doing the reservation through their site though.

Hopefully no issues!

We did set tasting menus at all restaurants, for 2 people. Put alcohol in brackets

- Fukudaya (2 star) - $1,199.79 (Sake, Plum Wine) - This one was a private room.

Oh my, that Fukudaya price is nearly how much my internship is giving me for monthly living expenses.

hwalker84

I think next time I go I'll hit up a few ultra high end places for food.

Can somebody please explain the Japanese event ticket lottery to me?

Basically I went to buysumotickets.com and got them to get two tickets to a couple wrestling events in June. The tickets just went on sale today, so they went out and got tickets and are sending them in the mail to me.

Now I'm reading that there is some sort of lottery system for tickets. I'm assuming that the tickets I got are good for the show, but my seats will be assigned later.

Is that accurate?

nice. I really should try one of these places next time, maybe reserve a seat at Jiro too. I imagine if I don't do alcohol (or too much of it lol) I can swing a few of these places.

Tabris

nice. I really should try one of these places next time, maybe reserve a seat at Jiro too. I imagine if I don't do alcohol (or too much of it lol) I can swing a few of these places.

Without alcohol, most are $500ish. Except the private room at Fukuduya. Pierre Gagnaire was expensive due to the bottle of wine we got. Expensive wine list there.

Jiro was like a 3-4 month reservation window. We tried to get in. Even Obama had to get a reservation apparently.

Ayumi

Can somebody please explain the Japanese event ticket lottery to me?

Basically I went to buysumotickets.com and got them to get two tickets to a couple wrestling events in June. The tickets just went on sale today, so they went out and got tickets and are sending them in the mail to me.

Now I'm reading that there is some sort of lottery system for tickets. I'm assuming that the tickets I got are good for the show, but my seats will be assigned later.

Is that accurate?

This seems like a third-party service so it's hard to say.. doesn't look like a normal lottery system (it could be, but you won't see it mentioned).

Why don't you just e-mail them and ask about their ticket system?
They say they reply very fast.

Without alcohol, most are $500ish. Except the private room at Fukuduya. Pierre Gagnaire was expensive due to the bottle of wine we got. Expensive wine list there.

Jiro was like a 3-4 month reservation window. We tried to get in. Even Obama had to get a reservation apparently.

haha, yeah, that's what I heard about Jiro too. at least it's something I can aim for on my next trip. but a lot of the street side stuff and little out of the way store are SO GREAT and I can only eat so much... TnT

Ayumi

haha, yeah, that's what I heard about Jiro too. at least it's something I can aim for on my next trip. but a lot of the street side stuff and little out of the way store are SO GREAT and I can only eat so much... TnT
Did you see my post about Jiro some pages back? Might be helpful~

This seems like a third-party service so it's hard to say.. doesn't look like a normal lottery system (it could be, but you won't see it mentioned).

Why don't you just e-mail them and ask about their ticket system?
They say they reply very fast.

Thanks. Thats exactly what I did. It looks like they got actual tickets with seat numbers. Thanks for the help!

When I bought baseball tickets last year I bought them through this guy's site. He does sumo tickets as well. Tickets were at the front counter of my hotel when I checked in. On top of that, when I was at the game the guy stopped by to introduce himself and gave me a English-language media guide that he writes every year (he's a baseball writer for the Japan Times). Whole process was smooth and painless, though he does obviously charge a fee for his service.

Did you see my post about Jiro some pages back? Might be helpful~

ah, did a search and read your post. I can understand where they're coming from with that I suppose. still, I'll try to work on it none the less for my next trip, just something to aim for. and of course if you're free and willing, the same offer from that poster will apply here too ^_~

well, since they already got me working, what better way to kill some time then posting a small part of the remaining highlights of my trip while on the company dime right? lol

so while I was still in Kagoshima, I also went to Ibusuki. the train I rode turns out to be a kind of special train that travels between Kagoshima and Ibusuki a couple times a day only, and they even have people waiting along the track and waving to people on board when we're almost at the Ibusuki station.

NQozyh7.jpg

nFdDUbc.jpg

I guess because it's not the season yet, the streets were pretty empty and as I walk through the suburban area, I even came across a couple small shrines that looks pretty cool.

my main purpose for going to Ibusuki was to try out the hot sand bath there. unfortunately it was raining on and off the day I went there. they moved the sand bath from the open beach to the covered part but it really didn't effect the experience that much. they dug up those holes and then you just lay down and they'll cover you up with the hot sand. they have signs there suggesting people to stay bury for 10 minutes and warn you about the danger of low temperature burns if you stay in there for too long. I suppose it really depends on the person because I was in there for about 20 minutes and I was fine. (and yes, I was in that picture too lol)

a bonus find of that trip thou, was that after I'm finished with the samd bath and I was walking around inside the building, I saw this drawing framed on the wall along with 2 others. they're all a little yellow and faded from being up there so long, but you can still see the signature on this one, and it's done by none other then the god of manga himself, Osamu Tezuka! they have a sign underneath saying that back then a long time ago, 15 mangaka went there on a trip together and many of them left something for the sand bath house, including Mr. Tezuka himself. the drawing on the wall is Atom lifting a big monster thing. it totally made that teip worth while just for this little surprise alone ^_^)b

Top Bottom