• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

ChryZ

Amuse released this in the wake of the SXSW PR:

rkhrbCw.jpg

Striking shot O_O

I just realized I haven't been really been keeping up with the J-Pop scene and was wondering if I could get some recommendations. I'm a huge fan of Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, Koda Kumi, Ayumi Hamasaki, Angela Aki. I also listen to Crystal Kay, Anna Tsuchiya, BENI and Shiina Ringo. I haven't discovered any new J-Pop singers in years so I would appreciate some help!

max_505

I was looking for new Japanese artists to listen to, and my friend recommended Shiina Ringo. Question is, what album of hers should I listen to first?

Shiina

I was looking for new Japanese artists to listen to, and my friend recommended Shiina Ringo. Question is, what album of hers should I listen to first?

Muzai Moratorium, Shousou Strip or Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana. First three and best three (minus the cover album).

Zoe

I just realized I haven't been really been keeping up with the J-Pop scene and was wondering if I could get some recommendations. I'm a huge fan of Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, Koda Kumi, Ayumi Hamasaki, Angela Aki. I also listen to Crystal Kay, Anna Tsuchiya, BENI and Shiina Ringo. I haven't discovered any new J-Pop singers in years so I would appreciate some help!

Nishiuchi Mariya looks promising.

Desmond

For any followers of the idol scene, there was an announcement of the formation of a new 48 sister group. Niigata48, or NGT48. I honestly expected Sapporo48 to be the next one. I'm not sure what Niigata is known for apart from snow.

Kurita

Kawatani Enon from indigo la End/Gesu no Kiwami Otome by Asano Inio (author of Solanin, Oyasumi Punpun...) in the next Rockin'on Japan hnnnnnngh
ilBO9Y2bGtWlE.JPG

Desmond

I'm surprised there's no Okinawa48 or something. Seems easy to come up with a gimmick there.

During a radio interview a good while back Akimoto said he was looking at the possibility of Hokkaido and Okinawa. Seems he got some local investors from Niigata with the offer to set up a group there. I assume that's where they'll throw all the Team 8 girls, especially those from the East of the country.

Desmond

Okinawa is too far removed from the rest of the country for that to be viable IMO.
Sure, even Niigata is quite difficult to travel to, it's mountainous. Perhaps somewhere like Sendai would have been better. Then again, there's the Shinkansen after all.

broz0rs

Sure, even Niigata is quite difficult to travel to, it's mountainous. Perhaps somewhere like Sendai would have been better. Then again, there's the Shinkansen after all.

I think the point of creating a branch there is to create local talent and have the Niigata theater as a source of income. Even a group like HKT48 which has their theater in Fukuoka is 12 hours by road from Tokyo and members often commute by plane. HKT48 also was entirely homebrewed and didn't have any transfers from the bigger groups for at least two years. Point being, distance shouldn't be a factor for the Niigata 48, for now.

New Flower - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXWbzZwKwbg it's nice, but not sure how much I like it at the moment.

Kana Nishino and Itano Tomomi you might like.

I only just found out about her recently, but Shirahata Kamin has a new album or mini LP or whatever you want to call it coming out on March 11.

I love her voice and her style of songwriting really hits me hard somehow.

in this video, her voice really reminds me of Eriko from chatmonchy. Could be one of their songs really. Very cool. Will look more into this lady.

Any jazz groups that you guys can recommend? I'm not into ska, though, so no ska-jazz groups please.

I don't know of any straight up jazz, but here are the bands that I know of with a jazz component:

senkawos

jizue

bohemianvoodoo

fox capture plan

mouse on the keys

edit:

listening to mouse on the keys again reminded me of Atlantis Airport, who thus far have only released an EP with four tracks. Praying for a new release by these classy people sometime soon. I like this girl's voice, too.

Atlantis Airport - AnTi pOp ARt

max_505

@MezzoForte & Kansoku: I listen to a lot of American jazz artists, so I wonder why it took me until now to search for Japanese ones when I've been listening to JPop & JRock for a couple of years now. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Slowdive

Banned
The a-side of Ringo's new single is out on itunes. I like it better than most of the new songs on Sunny tbh.

KygEBD5.png

Any jazz groups that you guys can recommend? I'm not into ska, though, so no ska-jazz groups please.

You might like Ego-Wrappin'

Capsule have just released new song "Another World" on itunes too, it's good. Tumblr won't let me upload it because of copyright, that's never happened before.

Aizo

Banned
Don't know if this was posted, but there is a new Especia MV. Praise Vaporwave.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f8vqm

Oh totally. But in general, japanese music scene is less about talent and creating art, but more about presentation and making people happy with ones music. At least, that's what I think, might be wrong though.
You're ridiculous. I could never make that kind of generalization about any country. I can't even say that about the pop scene, and I'm not into it. There are so many amazing Japanese rock bands that make far more interesting, melodic, and experimental pieces than I've heard anywhere else. Seriously, if you want art, check out anything on the Virgin Babylon record label. Amazing.

Aizo

Banned
First, my favorite.
Soil & "Pimp" Sessions this first track is a colab they did with Shiina Ringo last year. Amazing album with many interesting collaborations.
You also have to listen to Little Fats & Swingin' Hot Shot Party!
Quasimode
勝手にしやがれ (Katteni Shiyagare)
→Pia-no-jaC← is pretty progressive, but they've got a lot of damn energy, and they're fun to listen to.
If you like Bossa Nova, check out the soothing and awesome Lamp
PE'Z
Since we're on a video game forum, I'll also recommend some nerdy ones.
東京アクティブNEETs (Tokyo Active Neets) Ignore the picture someone used for the video. They cover video game music, though.
All That Jazz does anime covers, mostly of Studio Ghibli songs.
Tokyo Brass Style does more anime song covers, but usually various theme songs.

Quasar

Well.

Sonys killing of Music Unlimited kills any hope (which if I'm realistic was just wishful thinking) of seeing Sony add its own japanese labels to streaming services.

Desmond

Digging the new Capsule tracks!!! Also KANA-BOON's new album.

More 48 Group news.
Akimoto was interviewed following the announcement of the Niigata group. His stated reason was that they needed a group on the Sea Of Japan side of the country, with Niigata being the biggest city there. They are still researching the possibility of Sapporo, Okinawa, and Sendai, and hope to have groups there before 2020. Plans for another overseas group in Manilla. He plans to form a Japan 48 group to perform at the 2020 Olympic opening ceremony. Lol. I can't see the group staying around that long unless they have a new gimmick.

Well.

Sonys killing of Music Unlimited kills any hope (which if I'm realistic was just wishful thinking) of seeing Sony add its own japanese labels to streaming services.

I don't mean to sound too negative but that was never going to happen. SMEJ still region-locks its youtube videos.

Quasar

I don't mean to sound too negative but that was never going to happen. SMEJ still region-locks its youtube videos.

As I said it was probably wishful thinking. But you'd think that content exclusive to Sonys own service would make it a unique service. I certainly think its less likely to see they make a deal with Spotify. Hell isn't Spotify not even in Japan?

Hey I'm just frustrated that I still only have a choice between importing CDs or piracy. Isnt this supposed to be the 21st century?

As I said it was probably wishful thinking. But you'd think that content exclusive to Sonys own service would make it a unique service. I certainly think its less likely to see they make a deal with Spotify. Hell isn't Spotify not even in Japan?

Hey I'm just frustrated that I still only have a choice between importing CDs or piracy. Isnt this supposed to be the 21st century?

I kind of split the difference and buy mp3s when I can. it's half the price of ordering CDs.

I mean, sure, I have to manipulate two separate amazon accounts and use a VPN, but whatever

broz0rs

Are majority of Japanese music sales still physical (CD/DVD)? What other popular mp3 services are used in Japan asides from iTunes?

Quasar

Are majority of Japanese music sales still physical (CD/DVD)? What other popular mp3 services are used in Japan asides from iTunes?

I thought the former was still true, hence Spotify not even in Japan. Music Unlimited is there. So is Amazon MP3.

I think Rdio is still not there. Ditto Pandora. Ditto Google Play Music (the store and All Access). Seems like aside from Music Unlimited there is no music streaming in Japan.

I like Amazon because even though you still have to jump through hoops if you're outside of JP, you can buy digital gift cards with foreign credit cards and you don't have to use iTunes.

http://ototoy.jp/ is a great site for indie/small label acts like Suiyobi no Campanella and such. You can use foreign credit cards and they have 24-bit lossless available (!)

I can't really say how much digital music is bought domestically because Oricon doesn't count it. But there has to be a market for it, right?

Top Bottom