• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Hi all,

Just discovered Perfume this month and I really love them. Their song "Magic of Love" is one of my favorite songs ever–I must have listened to it 1000 times already. I am surprised to see that it wasn't performed on their last world tour, especially considering that it's their most popular music video of all!

Any idea why that is? Do they not like the song?

going through the miss ID auditions and cracking up at some of them

Sari from NECRONOMIDOL
Mai from ベッド•イン (lol)
the awkward girl from あヴぁんだんど giving an awkward solo performance

and this weirdo.

---

CS5WXL5UkAANYCq.jpg:large

speaking of weirdos, THIS IS NATS first mini-album Dec 16!

kind of weird hearing her music with some semblance of production values but I still like it. a lot.

Hi all,

Just discovered Perfume this month and I really love them. Their song "Magic of Love" is one of my favorite songs ever–I must have listened to it 1000 times already. I am surprised to see that it wasn't performed on their last world tour, especially considering that it's their most popular music video of all!

it's pretty normal when you've got a pretty big back catalogue to change up your setlists. World Tour 3rd isn't necessarily their strongest setlist though for sure, even though I'm happy they put One Room Disco, Party Maker, and Polyrhythm on there.

Hold Your Hand and Cling Cling though, woof. and I still don't understand the appeal of Chocolate Disco.

the extra percussion there easily makes it sound better (and drowns out that shitty synth).

if nothing else, can we all agree that the Chocolate Disco costumes are by far the worst they've done since going major?

dkeane

I've got the yellow version. So pretty.

Seeing Envy (and Deafheaven) tonight. Excited to finally see them live. Been following a couple people on Instagram who've posted videos, and the show looks awesome.
Going tonight also, super excited.

Hi all,

Welcome

tumblr_lvjap9kDzh1qa23ffo1_400.gif

Kurita

Bought WANIMA's long-awaited first full album, Are You Coming? yesterday.
A good ol' trashy cover art for what could become a classic Japanese punk/melodic hardcore album. Full of danceable/upbeat tunes, listening to it just makes me happy. I want to dance with a big crowd while listening to their warm songs, it's just too good.
If Oricon's charts are anything to go by the album seems to be selling like hotcakes, no doubt WANIMA is the new punk behemoth of Japan. Who knows, maybe they'll reach HI-STANDARD/ELLEGARDEN's levels of popularity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em-d1f55NPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBFI99Y14mc

New Hitorie is pretty sick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXF_tamapmA

Aizo

Banned
I was listening to Wanima in the music store the other day. They're what you'd expect from a Pop Punk band, but they're solid and fun to listen to. I know Japanese wikipedia says they're Melodic Hardcore, but they don't really sound like Melodic Hardcore anymore. I like their more Skapunk stuff on Can Not Behaved!!, so I'll have to listen to this new album more.

whatever that is is 100% pop punk, not sure where the melodic hardcore tag is coming from. it's alright. I think I passed my pop punk phase somewhere in the early 2000s.

Aizo

Banned
That Hitorie track is awesome. I just wrote about it.
That new EP is too pricey for me, but I may be interested in getting that re-issue album.

Listening to that Wanima album on Spotify. Gotta say, I enjoy this crazy (and infinitely cheaper) future where this stuff is often readily available in the US on day one.

Kurita

That Hitorie track is awesome. I just wrote about it.
That new EP is too pricey for me, but I may be interested in getting that re-issue album.
Yeah it's quite pricey, especially for like two songs... They didn't release it digitally, it's just a "deluxe edition" with a meaty photobook (no regular edition either!). Oh well.
Hopefully they'll release a full album in a couple of months.

The new 3776 album is great.

on like listen 3 as I type this. I'm glad they seem to be picking up new fans. they're so odd/unconventional that I half expected them to just exist in obscurity forever.

on the one hand, I like that there isn't a single weak song on the album, on the other, there's not as much weird experimental stuff on it as I might have hoped.

Trying to make a Sexy playlist mix of Korean and Japanese music, any recommendations guys? A bit harder with Japanese music but hopefully you guys can think of something where I am failing. Genre does not matter but yeah it's for sexytimes söooooooo something like that haha

Trying to make a Sexy playlist mix of Korean and Japanese music, any recommendations guys? A bit harder with Japanese music but hopefully you guys can think of something where I am failing. Genre does not matter but yeah it's for sexytimes söooooooo something like that haha

theoretical or you looking for youtube videos or what?

I'm thinking a Hatsune Miku song would set the mood perfectly

TsuXna

So today was Nothing's carved in stone and i was two hours late for the concert. Then i didn't find a place to leave my bag. So i pretty much missed all favorite songs, but the remaining hour was amazing. Saying that they were incredible is the same as saying nothing. Absolutely brilliant live performance, vocals, melody, volume level and lightning effects everything was top notch. They made MY FIRST STORY look like a high school band. I definitely will go to their next concert to enjoy it fully. I think anyone should go to their concert its just shockingly good.

and i saw the most stunning Japanese girl in the crowd today.

New Crystal Kay album 'Shine' - 12/16

I can't believe it's been 3 years since her last.

jesus christ, what terrible uniforms. by an actual fashion designer too

i like that this is somehow the extent of news i could dig up this morning

The second one in from the right just ain't here for any of that, she's done.

*There's a very bad fancam of Perfume's documentary movie out there, was sweet but had to stop watching near the end. Will just wait for it's release over here.

Kurita

Does anyone know of bands similar to ゲスの極め乙女 (Gesu...)

Been loving almost all of their tracks.
Doesn't really exist, their sound is pretty unique.
You can listen to indigo la End though, same vocalist.

2016 edition of Space Shower Retsuden Japan Tour looking amazing
Was sure to see either フレデリック or 夜の本気ダンス in the line-up. Didn't expect 雨のパレード though. My Hair is Bad is also a damn good choice.

Zoe

Koda Kumi's gotten censored in Korea before.

Peru

This author’s life-long dream is to become a craftsman that “writes poems accompanying idol gravure”. In order to fulfill that dream, I’ve taken on the title “expert idol writer”, which does not an actual profession, I am constantly thinking about idols, use the internet, and continue writing papers on idols without my parents having any knowledge about it. I’m waiting for your messages of support.

Top Bottom