• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Please say it.

Nakata is almost tacitly confirming what many jokingly assumed about Kyary as being irrelevant and creatively bankrupt as a "product" as of the last year and a half or so. everything she's been involved with over that timeframe is a watered-down rehash of ground already covered, and she's grown dull as a public personality.

at this point, why not just make a total mockery out of one of your clients/products? he clearly doesn't give a shit about doing anything interesting with her.

Even when he fails with Perfume and Capsule, he at least still experiments.

e: she's even made comments in the past about bringing ideas to him to have him basically say they were doing what he wanted to do. except in the polite japanese business way of saying it.

Aizo

Banned
I actually think Mondai Girl is one of her best songs, but I still agree with most of what you said. It's sad that she's treated this way, but even she seems to understand that she isn't built to last. Even with a different producer and a tonal shift, what can she do to get people interested in her again? Although I consider myself a fan of Kyary, she really is more of a product than a musician. I am curious to see what she would be like if she had more creative control over her career.

I actually think Mondai Girl is one of her best songs, but I still agree with most of what you said. It's sad that she's treated this way, but even she seems to understand that she isn't built to last. Even with a different producer and a tonal shift, what can she do to get people interested in her again? Although I consider myself a fan of Kyary, she really is more of a product than a musician. I am curious to see what she would be like if she had more creative control over her career.

she's a very smart girl and a very capable public persona. she could do a tonal shift to playing things completely straight and still be totally successful. I think she's a wonderful person, (and remarkably candid) but as a "product" she kind of sucks. I'd love to see her take the reigns of her own direction and see where it leads.

Mondai Girl was amazing and I completely forgot it was this year. but that wasn't really an experiment as much as it was an unexpectedly good song in a string of underwhelming ones.

Kurita

I have to admit that Mondai Girl is one the few KPP songs I dig (with Invader Invader and Fashion Monster). Well, it also helps that I loved the drama it was used for.

If there's anyone out there who really liked Hamidasumo! but wished it was a bit rougher around the edges and like ten times crazier, allow me to suggest that you may want to seek out Shoujo Kakka no International's debut mini album...

Kurita

Really digging the fact that Majiko is getting more songs by Straightener's vocalist Horie Atsushi! Her voice goes well with Straightener-like tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWYDFJcm9tk
Definitely a pop singer I want to keep an eye on. Another talent from Nico Nico successfuly transfering to the mainstream.

Today was KEYTALK's Budokan show, seeing a lot of reports about it on my Instagram feed. Wish I was there... 30 songs, sold-out venue, looks like it was an amazing show. Tons of musicians went there obviously.
07GNMLr.jpg
Proud of them <3 Been a fan of them since their first indie album back in 2010. Hope they'll release a DVD/Blu-Ray soon!

she's a very smart girl and a very capable public persona. she could do a tonal shift to playing things completely straight and still be totally successful. I think she's a wonderful person, (and remarkably candid) but as a "product" she kind of sucks. I'd love to see her take the reigns of her own direction and see where it leads.

Mondai Girl was amazing and I completely forgot it was this year. but that wasn't really an experiment as much as it was an unexpectedly good song in a string of underwhelming ones.

I agree, I would like to see her strike out on her own. I've come to appreciate her more as a "regular person" (or at least the person she presents herself as on Twitter and in interviews I've seen) than the musician/pop star she's supposed to be. Clearly there's something behind the image. If anything I feel like Kyary has more potential for evolution than Nakata does at this point, however unlikely that evolution might be.

Lotto

Saw tricot live last night ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~

Still reeling from how awesome it was! I managed to get a pic with Motifour after the show but it was really blurry (my friend tried 4 times but they ended up being all blurry anyways, bah.) I haven't been to shows since middle school and I had so much fun. Their last show is in LA, go see em if you're around there!

Oh god, why are they putting on Capsule and Suiyobi no Campanella at the same time at Moshi Moshi ;_; this is torture for me, I want to see both :(

the struggle is real

Also, what happened with Campanella's 'Ra'? That video must have had a massive budget :eek:
Love it though

even putting aside my opinions of modern Capsule, I think you'd be nuts to pass up Suiyoubi no Campanella at this exact moment in time.

Kansoku

AdamT

Between my car and headphones, I've been listening to the Spotify and CD versions of Star Train. The songs are okay. I like Tokimeki Lights the most. I appreciate hearing less auto tune, being able to differentiate between their individual voices, and the experimentation, but Nakata needs to stop mixing the songs poorly. Even before Cling Cling, certain parts were too loud. This time around, the piano on Star Train peaks and drowns out the vocals. Maybe I'm crazy.

At least the CD came with a nice poster.

Edit: I agree with KPP. While Mondai Girl helped make Mondai no Aru Restaurant even greater, I would like to see her take on something new artistically.

Super Edit: Is anyone dressing up as their favorite J-pop artist for Halloween? If I can get the intestines right, I'm hoping to go as a member of BiS Kaidan.

Ouch, that sounds like a tough choice. Are all the big acts on the same day?

The event is split over 3 days, but I'm only really interested in the third day! Capsule+ Suiyoubi + Kyary + m-flo + WORLD ORDER + Ram Rider, all for free! But dat clash though

even putting aside my opinions of modern Capsule, I think you'd be nuts to pass up Suiyoubi no Campanella at this exact moment in time.

Well I love the new Capsule album, and I've loved Capsule for many years (10+) so it seems crazy for me to miss the opportunity :/

New Crystal Kay, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1Q6Zk-hUk

Unsure why it's sounding like a Christmas jingle but ok, excited for the album.

Between my car and headphones, I've been listening to the Spotify and CD versions of Star Train. The songs are okay. I like Tokimeki Lights the most. I appreciate hearing less auto tune, being able to differentiate between their individual voices, and the experimentation, but Nakata needs to stop mixing the songs poorly. Even before Cling Cling, certain parts were too loud. This time around, the piano on Star Train peaks and drowns out the vocals. Maybe I'm crazy.

The mixing is damn awful, the instrumental sounds so low quality and with some vocals coming in loud then soft, really makes me wonder what he's doing tbh. Sounds good through speakers but with headphones, no.

*Edits for Miwa****

&#12354;&#12394;&#12383;&#12364;&#12371;&#12371;&#12395;&#12356;&#12390;&#25265;&#12365;&#12375;&#12417;&#12427;&#12371;&#12392;&#12364;&#12391;&#12365;&#12427;&#12394;&#12425;;

Very pretty

Aizo

Banned
So, last week when I had a day off, I searched for Yonezu Kenshi's "Bremen," and it was sold out at my local music store. I guess that's a good sign, but lame for me. I shall search once again today! Anything else recent I should be sure to pick up while I'm at the music shop?

Kurita

So, last week when I had a day off, I searched for Yonezu Kenshi's "Bremen," and it was sold out at my local music store. I guess that's a good sign, but lame for me. I shall search once again today! Anything else recent I should be sure to pick up while I'm at the music shop?
Best albums of the past two months :
Nothing's Carved In Stone - MAZE
OKAMOTO'S - OPERA
&#12461;&#12517;&#12454;&#12477;&#12493;&#12467;&#12459;&#12511; - &#20154;&#29983;&#12399;&#12414;&#12384;&#12414;&#12384;&#32154;&#12367;
Czecho No Republic - Sante Fe
Awesome City Club - Awesome City Tracks 2
&#12464;&#12483;&#12489;&#12514;&#12540;&#12491;&#12531;&#12464;&#12450;&#12513;&#12522;&#12459; - &#12464;&#12483;&#12489;&#12514;&#12540;&#12491;&#12531;&#12464;&#12450;&#12513;&#12522;&#12459;
SANABAGUN - &#12513;&#12472;&#12515;&#12540;
&#12467;&#12531;&#12486;&#12531;&#12509;&#12521;&#12522;&#12540;&#12394;&#29983;&#27963; - &#12516;&#12531;&#12461;&#12540;&#12460;&#12540;&#12523;
FOLKS - BLUE & YELLOW
The Mirraz - &#12510;&#12472;&#12363;&#12290;&#12392;&#12388;&#12540;&#12363;&#12289;E.P.

Aizo

Banned
What do you think of Bremen?
Edit: I chickened out and bought nothing. Hard to find anything in that store, because it's so small. Everything is grouped together. Is there a damn tower records in this prefecture?

I'll wait for Bremen to drop in price used or something.

Top Bottom