• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Have we always had this much idol/AKB talk?
I always thought we mostly talked about Rock and Experimental stuff. One of the few (only?) Japanese natives on Gaf said he'd join discussion if we didn't just talk about Perfume and AKB, and I thought, "Oh, no, that's not the case at all," but I'm surprised at what I've noticed after paying more attention. I didn't realize idol groups were so popular among all of you. Maybe it's just that a few of the more common members have been posting less?

hello. I still kinda lurk kinda (kinda) but I've been focusing my attention and resources to other stuff. Infinite disappeared, too. Still very much on the hunt for new J-indie/math/post-hardcore. I think the last Japanese releases I bought other than a Sigh 3LP were the 9mm Parabellum Bullet CDs on Zankyo.

I'm glad to see that there is a new PENs+ release out. Still far and away my favorite guitar-centric Japanese indie band. Perfect emo/math rock. Perfect. Also Bandcamp rules.

Kurita

I think too much stuff bleeds over between stuff you'd call "pure pop" and rock and electronic groups. Like Passepied. they're a "rock band" but they're as poppy as anyone. One thread makes sense, especially since many of us have pretty broad tastes.

I'd be ok with this collaboration.
Yeah, a lot of rock bands I listen to gladly embrace pop to make catchy tunes people who don't like "pure" rock can enjoy, like KANA-BOON, KEYTALK...
I feel like it's a strength of the music scene in Japan, there's no real borders between the genres.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Pretty sure there's been more pop talk than anything else in the years I've been
lurking
here. Experimental stuff hardly gets mentioned.

I've only been lurking for about a year and have come to the understanding that this thread won't be a place I can go for discussion on the latest Keiji Haino jam, but there's still a good chunk of users who will be more than glad to chat about shoegaze/dreampop, and that's okay with me!

uhh, I'll talk about Haino, although I admit I never got around to picking up that Seijaku live album that came out this year.

though to be fair, I don't think there's been much in the way of news from him lately :p

Slowdive

Banned
They recently played him on BBC 6 music, just another reason why it's the best radio station out there. They've played Tricot too.

akileese

hello. I still kinda lurk kinda (kinda) but I've been focusing my attention and resources to other stuff. Infinite disappeared, too. Still very much on the hunt for new J-indie/math/post-hardcore. I think the last Japanese releases I bought other than a Sigh 3LP were the 9mm Parabellum Bullet CDs on Zankyo.

I'm glad to see that there is a new PENs+ release out. Still far and away my favorite guitar-centric Japanese indie band. Perfect emo/math rock. Perfect. Also Bandcamp rules.

Whoa! I'd never listened to PENS+ before but they're pretty much right up my alley! Thanks for sharing.

Have we always had this much idol/AKB talk?
I always thought we mostly talked about Rock and Experimental stuff. One of the few (only?) Japanese natives on Gaf said he'd join discussion if we didn't just talk about Perfume and AKB, and I thought, "Oh, no, that's not the case at all," but I'm surprised at what I've noticed after paying more attention. I didn't realize idol groups were so popular among all of you. Maybe it's just that a few of the more common members have been posting less?

Only of recent, when I first started posting I remember it being 90% rock/indie/whatever and then 10% other things. There are more members now posting about pop etc which is good imo.

Perfume is a special case, I feel like everyone likes them regardless of their music taste.

Slowdive

Banned
Anyone heard the new Urbangarde? It's pretty fantastic, I wasn't really expecting it to be this good.

also I'm definitely feeling that new Paipai Dekami single even though, still, I can't explain why her music appeals to me. It shouldn't. but it does.

Same here.

Aizo

Banned
This was originally supposed to be the pop thread, but it got hijacked by people who were ignoring the already existing J-music thread -_-
That would be such a huge waste. As stump said, there are groups with mixed genres, and there are many of us with mixed tastes. I'm glad we talk about all Japanese music.

It feels like we just hit another wave of idol talk, and it's not always this heavy. But yeah, I always expect at least a few GIFs of the idol shows to pop up every page or two.

While we're sort of on that topic, I've been meaning to ask: can someone explain Sayonara Ponytail to me? They're on T-Palette, so they must be idols. But they don't ever show their faces in public or even appear to exist as anything besides illustrations on album covers. They just put out a THREE-DISC album that often doesn't sound like what I think of when I think idol pop or T-Palette. What's their deal? Are they actually just the made-up personas of some anonymous composer (or group of composers)?

Slowdive

Banned
New Seiko Oomori single out February 17. Includes a new version of Aishiteru.com produced by Seiji Kameda.

news_large_oomoriseiko_art20151217.jpg

http://natalie.mu/music/news/169577

The price of that limited edition though. Still getting it.

New BiSH song: https://soundcloud.com/bishidol/want

Free on Ototoy

While we're sort of on that topic, I've been meaning to ask: can someone explain Sayonara Ponytail to me? They're on T-Palette, so they must be idols. But they don't ever show their faces in public or even appear to exist as anything besides illustrations on album covers. They just put out a THREE-DISC album that often doesn't sound like what I think of when I think idol pop or T-Palette. What's their deal? Are they actually just the made-up personas of some anonymous composer (or group of composers)?

Gorillaz but jpop girl group.

Kind of, except people actually know who the real people behind Gorillaz are, while the musicians behind Sayonara Ponytail remain secret as far as I know. I'm not really sure if they classify as idols either even though they are on an idol label, but they didn't used to be, and they don't have any of the extra-musical characteristics that pretty much define being an idol. Even virtual idols have games and anime to get to know the characters, they make appearances in ads, and have real life voice actors for fans to follow (except vocaloids). Sayonara Ponytail just have the music and a sporadically released slice-of-life manga that I've never even seen. This is all sort of a roundabout way of saying I don't really know the answer to your question. Their new album is the work of five composers and five vocalists and no real names are given except for guest musicians. It's also really damn good.

neshcom

Banned
Here's the three hour FNS the LIVE special that aired a day ago in Japan.

http://www.miomio.tv/watch/cc252902/

Performance list in chronological order is here:

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/FNS/2015/list02.html

If you just want to watch the idol part, which was fantastic, here it is:

http://48videodouga.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3106.html

Only watched bits and pieces, but thanks for the links!

What the hell was up with Nakashima Mika? She's put out a lot of new music lately and she does half of Glamorous Sky out of tune. Damn, girl.

Not sure what to make of the idol medley. It's impressive just wrangling that many girls, costumes, and dances, especially for all these competing groups. I've only really had any idol interest in Morning Musume, but even that's faded in the past couple of years. It was pretty nostalgic to hear LM and RR21 again. Pretty funny that I used to dread them carting those out again for the TV shows, but this was nice. It almost felt like a good-bye to the whole idol scene, but maybe I'm reading into it.

Not sure what made me not like the SEKAI NO OWARI song, but I haven't latched on to anything of theirs.

Man, mad respect for TMR. Dude is 45 and still rocking...that entire thing.

broz0rs

^ Glad you enjoyed the performances! I thought the show was unpretentious and was fun overall.

Agreed about Mika Nakashima. That was a very weird performance that I had to fast forward through because I started to cringe lol

My favorite performance has got to be Ikimono Gakari.

I thought EXILE's popularity was starting to fade, but they had performances scattered throughout the show and also had the closing act. I'm starting to think they'll be repeat winners for Record of the Year at JRA.

Slowdive

Banned
The LLLL album is one of my favourites too. Had the new KOTO on repeat since yesterday.

Zenbu Kimi No Seida's debut album out 27th January, can't wait.

Kurita

Trailer for Hitorie's upcoming single
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpTbmkpzc0k
Good shit as usual, looking forward to a full album next year!

I bought ぼくのりりっくのぼうよみ (Boku no Lyric no Bouyomi)'s debut album today.
Holy crap this is gooooood! It's a somewhat dark rap album mixed with different sonorities that make it stand out from the usual rap artists. It's kinda hard to explain. I guess it's a bit in line with what tofubeats and Tamaki ROY could produce sometimes but not really. I like that he describes himself as "a guy who's like a rapper but not really", cause I think that actually fits his image.
And to think that he's only 17 years old, can't wait to see what this guy will create in a couple of years. Another amazing pick by Victor this year for their label Connectone after Awesome City Club and SANABAGUN. Happy to see that he's already getting a lot of hype. It's funny to follow him on Twitter, he's super excited about a lot of stuff since he's still a kid. Cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKThn7Phxkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L2TDurGgaI

Aizo

Banned
Does anybody else listen to Veltpunch?
Two weeks old, but check out their newest MV for Shandygaff in the cold glass. Hey, it even has GAF in the name. How apropos.
I bought their newest EP when it came out, but I didn't listen to it until today. I like it, just like I always like their stuff. I think I posted about their show that I went to in Osaka in October, but I want to reiterate that they're very fun. I actually think the second track on the EP may be the stronger one.

Here's the three hour FNS the LIVE special that aired a day ago in Japan.

http://www.miomio.tv/watch/cc252902/

Performance list in chronological order is here:

http://www.fujitv.co.jp/FNS/2015/list02.html

If you just want to watch the idol part, which was fantastic, here it is:

http://48videodouga.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3106.html

Idol medley is too good. Ikuze! Kaitou Shoujo! especially. Did Nogi lose a bet or something though? everybody else got multiple costumes and they just wore seifuku the whole time...

soultron

Banned
I'm new to this thread, but I've been listening to a select few Japanese bands as of late. Kinoko Teikoku just released an album last month but I've been struggling to find a way to obtain it that isn't (outrageously priced and) physical.

Is it possible to find the latest Kinoko Teikoku album (and maybe Uzu ni Naru, while we're at it) digitally? It kills me that they don't seem to have a bandcamp page, since that's where I get all of my music (for the most part, unless it's on something like beatport) these days.

Kurita

雨のパレード announced a new single and their major debut!
http://natalie.mu/music/news/170088

Looking forward to it. Victor keep getting amazing acts since 2013.
KEYTALK, キュウソネコカミ, Awesome City Club, SANABAGUN, ぼくのりりっくのぼうよみ, 夜の本気ダンス and now them. Nice.
Funny to see that 夜の本気ダンス and 雨のパレード, both taking part in the 2016 Space Shower Retsuden Tour, are going major with the same label at the same time haha

I'm new to this thread, but I've been listening to a select few Japanese bands as of late. Kinoko Teikoku just released an album last month but I've been struggling to find a way to obtain it that isn't (outrageously priced and) physical.

Is it possible to find the latest Kinoko Teikoku album (and maybe Uzu ni Naru, while we're at it) digitally? It kills me that they don't seem to have a bandcamp page, since that's where I get all of my music (for the most part, unless it's on something like beatport) these days.
There you go :https://www.hmvdigital.com/releases/4872886
And their indie releases (Uzu ni Naru, etc...) are on iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/kinoko-teikoku/id521644940

soultron

Banned
Looking forward to it. Victor keep getting amazing acts since 2013.
KEYTALK, キュウソネコカミ, Awesome City Club, SANABAGUN, ぼくのりりっくのぼうよみ, 夜の本気ダンス and now them. Nice.
Funny to see that 夜の本気ダンス and 雨のパレード, both taking part in the 2016 Space Shower Retsuden Tour, are going major with the same label at the same time haha

There you go :https://www.hmvdigital.com/releases/4872886
And their indie releases (Uzu ni Naru, etc...) are on iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/kinoko-teikoku/id521644940

Thanks for this! Dumb question -- as someone who hasn't used iTunes in close to 10 years -- but are the albums there DRM free and in mp3 format? IIRC, I have a few albums from iTunes back from when I was using it and I can't listen to them on my Android phone since they're in an unsupported format.

Kurita

iTunes's songs have been DRM free for a while yeah but it's AAC 256.
HMVDigital is MP3 320 but doesn't have their older releases.

So looking forward to it. Preordered it a while ago, didn't the bonus DVD has a weird ass video like that haha

My brain can't compute all the amazing releases coming soon : THE ORAL CIGARETTES, Mrs. GREEN APPLE, Gesu no Kiwami Otome, KANA-BOON, The Mirraz and more. Damn.

very. a picture is beginning to emerge as to why Daichi babysits her the most on stage.

--

おやすみホログラムバンド strawberry @Shinjuku LOFT 2015 1209

I hope they just decide to go the "full band" route in the future. they're so much better that way. very excited to see what they do next.

--

loooooollll

it took me way too long to realize that's not actually Takeshi

jbug617

Banned
Song list for Kohaku
http://aramajapan.com/news/song-list-for-the-66th-kohaku-uta-gassen-revealed/53327/

Red:
E-girls – Dance Dance Dance
Ikimonogakari – Arigatou
Ishikawa Sayuri – Tsugaru Kaikyo Fuyugeshiki
Imai Miki – PIECE OF MY WISH
AKB48 – AKB48 Kohaku 2015 SP ~10th Anniversary Medley~
NMB48 – 365 Nichi no Kami Hikouki
Ohara Sakurako – Hitomi
Godai Natsuko – Tokyo Gorin Ondo
Sakamoto Fuyumi – Iwai Zake
Ringo Shiina – Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri ~Koko wa Jigoku ka Tengoku ka-hen~
Shimazu Aya – Kaeranchayoka
Superfly – Beautiful
Takahashi Mariko – Goban Machi no Mari e 2015
Tendo Yoshimi – Jinsei Ichiro
AAA – Koi Oto to Amazora
Nishino Kana – Torisetsu
Nogizaka46 – Kimi no Na wa Kibou
Perfume – Pick Me Up
Fuji Ayako – Manjushaka
Matsuda Seiko – Akai Sweet Pea
Mizumori Kaori – Yamatoji no Koi
μ’s – Sore wa Bokutachi no Kiseki
miwa – fighting-φ-girls
REBECCA – FRIENDS
Wada Akiko – Waratte Yurushite

White:
Arashi – New Year’s Eve Medley 2015
Itsuki Hiroshi – Chikumagawa
EXILE – EXILE Kohaku Special 2015
X JAPAN – Kohaku Special Medley ~We are X!~
Kanjani8 – Maemuki Scream!
Gesu no Kiwami Otome. – Watashi Igai Watashi Janai no
Hiromi Go – 2-Oku 4-Senman no Hitomi -Exotic Japan-
Golden Bomber – Memeshikute
Kondo Masahiko – Gin Gira Gin ni Sarigenaku
Sandaime J Soul Brothers from EXILE TRIBE – Summer Madness
SMAP – This is SMAP Medley
SEKAI NO OWARI – Present
Sexy Zone – Nippon Cha-Cha-Cha Champion
TOKIO – AMBITIOUS JAPAN
Tokunaga Hideaki – Jidai
BUMP OF CHICKEN – ray
Hikawa Kiyoshi – Otokobana
V6 – Zattsu! V6 Medley
Fukuyama Masaharu – 25th Anniversary Special Medley
Hoshino Gen – SUN
Hosokawa Takashi – Kokoro Nokori
Miyama Hiroshi – Oiwakiyama
Miwa Akihiro – Yoitomake no Uta
Mori Shinichi – Ofukuro-san
Yamauchi Keisuke – Spotlight
Yuzu – Kakeru

Specials:
Zattsu, Nihon! Zattsu, Kohaku!” Special
Kobayashi Sachiko – Senbonzakura
70th Anniversary Postwar (Red Team) Special
MISIA – Orphans no Namida

I have near total faith that the white team is going to just walk away with the win again.

I wonder if REBECCA are going to do the original version of Friends or the version with Itsuka from charisma.com that Nokko just put out

e: I meant white team, I'm losing my mind

but yes, #teamred

e2: actually this is the weakest the red team has been in years but I still want them to win just because

Kurita

Only like Perfume in team Red.
Team White has Gesu no Kiwami Otome, fuckin' Hoshino Gen, BUMP OF CHICKEN and SEKAI NO OWARI.
#TeamWhite all the way

Only like Perfume in team Red.
Team White has Gesu bo Kiwami Otome, fuckin' Hoshino Gen, BUMP OF CHICKEN and SEKAI NO OWARI.
#TeamWhite all the way
Look I can't really defend the red team selections, and normally I'm not someone to give people grief for what they like (enjoy whatever makes you happy), but since this is a competition, LOL at those picks except Gesu.

Disappointed a little that Sakanaction isn't there, I thought Shin Takarajima did pretty well on the charts?

Kurita

Look I can't really defend the red team selections, and normally I'm not someone to give people grief for what they like (enjoy whatever makes you happy), but since this is a competition, LOL at those picks except Gesu.

Disappointed a little that Sakanaction isn't there, I thought Shin Takarajima did pretty well on the charts?
Yeah it did but I don't know when they picked the artists. Maybe the song came out too late while Hoshino Gen, Bump of Chicken, Gesu and SnO all managed to release high-selling stuff earlier. Might be why the band back number isn't there either even though their latest single and album both sold like crazy.

Top Bottom