• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Slowdive

Banned
Hatis cancelled six shows because "something" came up, including the one you were thinking of going to stump sock. Lack of interest, maybe?

Hatis cancelled six shows because "something" came up, including the one you were thinking of going to stump sock. Lack of interest, maybe?

possibly. thanks for the heads up. shame because I heard she was killing in the shows so far

looks like she's already in Baltimore hanging out with Matmos which means either

- the tour was not financially or logistically doable
- she's doing something with Matmos this week instead of tour
- something else

can't make it to the baltimore show though. but I guess she saved me $50 or so and a ride on the metro so it's not all bad

Larsa

http://natalie.mu/music/news/182401
New DAOKO x Teddyloid song and animation in a couple of days, with the same director as ME!ME!ME! and Girl.

I can't deal with this shit forever again...

tumblr_o43umb6DYR1s8ty6ro1_1280.png

Edit: or is that 15 seconds video all of it?

Jintor

kids react and old people react is great because i don't talk to a lot of kids and i don't talk to a lot of old people

teens and youtubers are all over the internet so kindly gtfo, teens and youtubers

I can't deal with this shit forever again...

never forget...

last time I searched "daoko" on tumblr the only non-shit posts in the first like 4 pages were yours, mine, and Lena's

article makes it sound like it's just the commercial.

BiSH / DEADMAN[OFFICIAL VIDEO]

Their first release with avex. Not sure if the song is that short or that's just the video since it has an unusual conclusion.

hnnnnYES. IIRC the song was longer live, but I'd need to go back and check the video to be sure. Momoko is a gift :)

--

the new -petit pas!- song is pretty alright. first album is out 5/25

The AKB Senbatsu election just got a bit more interesting this year. Kojiharu has been accepted. I say "accepted" because her application was under review because she's not entering the election as Kojima Haruna, but rather as Nyan Nyan Kamen. I think she may have a chance of taking it because all of her promotions are going to be a lot more interesting since she's going to be doing them under a secret identity instead of doing them straight like all the other members.

that does throw a bit of a wrench into it but I'm still betting on Paruru

also Akimoto would let Kojiharu get away with murder if she stays on the payroll

faridmon

I don't know how I feel about the new Spangle Call Lilli Line record. It hasn't grabbed me as much a their previous ones, especially I loved the last 3 outings. New Season is an incredible EP.

the new one just feels monotonous and repetitive. The aren't much variation in tracks as opposed to their more experimental outings. I have to listen to it more to get the most out of it, but so far I am not feeling it.

Peru

Shame the producers got them to perform that song. Maybe it's good PR I dunno but with a live band it would've been nice to see a newer song from the latest album.

Shame the producers got them to perform that song. Maybe it's good PR I dunno but with a live band it would've been nice to see a newer song from the latest album.

that song was a baffling hit in the west (despite being probably one of the weaker songs in their catalogue), you have to figure that since they're reaching people who have never heard them on this show, it's smart to play the song that hooks people.

I'm really halfway dreading seeing them next month. the performance will probably be pretty good but Babymetal fans can be completely insufferable.

given the new song uses the same cover image as 'days' only in a different colour, isn't it safe to assume there will be an album with both down the line?

maybe, haven't heard anything. I think she's currently independent so I'm sure a lot of it boils down to interest/money/producers etc

neshcom

Banned
Halfway through Cosmic Explorer and it really isn't gelling with me. It's all over the place and a lot of this new stuff just feels like Yasutaka spinning his wheels. I'll probably warm up to it as I hear it more, but man...

ninja edit: Does Perfume have a particular sound anymore? As Perfume and capsule edge closer and closer to mainstream pop and EDM, their sounds are getting indistinguishable. It just feels like this new material is surprisingly light on vocal emphasis.

Peru

Nah Perfume sounds like Perfume still. I think he frequently sounds bored with other artists, including with Capsule, but not really with Perfume.

Impossible for me to rate a Perfume album before it's settled and before I can hear the singles as album tracks instead, but this is v enjoyable.

My scores for their discography:

Complete Best 10.0
Game 10.0
Triangle 10.0
JPN 10.0
Level 3 8.5

As someone who liked Level3 a whole lot, Cosmic Explorer doesn't leave much of a first impression. It's just kind of there, with none of it being particularly awful nor particularly exciting (except Pick Me Up, I guess). My favourite thing about Level3 was seeing Perfume abandon nearly all pretense of making a "balanced" pop album and instead going in hard on dancefloor-ready electropop. (sorry Mirai no Museum, nobody likes you) Cosmic Explorer could've used a lot more of that approach.

Tain

I don't know how I feel about it in terms of ranking or anything yet, but I'm surprised at how much I'm liking the new tracks after not being blown away by Relax in the City or Star Train. Very happy with it so far.

I still need to give Complete Best an honest shot, huh.

Kurita

it's fine for what it is but 10/10 is a crazy person's score, sorry Peru. but at least it has personality and is a pretty good summary of bubbly early 00's jpop all in one place.
I deleted every song from that album except Electro World and Computer City
I ain't even sorry

Tain

it's fine for what it is but 10/10 is a crazy person's score, sorry Peru. but at least it has personality and is a pretty good summary of bubbly early 00's jpop all in one place.

I deleted every song from that album except Electro World and Computer City
I ain't even sorry

lol, ok, this is pretty much exactly where I'm at but throw in Perfect Star Perfect Style.

My Perfume album ranking would go something like JPN>Complete Best>Game=Triangle>>Level 3>>>Cosmic Explorer. I might not give Compete Best a perfect 10 but a 9 is reasonable.

Uh, Complete Best also had Sweet Donuts. It's offensive that a lot of you are disregarding that gem.

COMPUTA DURIVIN

Nocchi has started her modelling career - http://perfumeofficial.tumblr.com/post/142336022239

full version of Flash MV was posted
Kashiyuka is a high kick machine. And the last minute is perfection.

The choreography for the 2nd verse is so much better, more Perfume like and not that Kung-fu mess.

---

Kana Nishino is releasing a new single - 「あなたの好きなところ」/ 2016.04.27

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Kana-Nishino---Anata-no-Suki-na-Tokoro/bdce2a81e121b85b45a0d76058cbbb36

Sort of boring, not country pop, but I'm lowkey liking it.

Peru

Complete Best has some of the more experimental, some of the more emotional Perfume songs. It's full of gems. It's different, but still true.

Outside of Electro World and Computer City..

Wonder2, what a sweet little thing. Had the experience of singing that back to Perfume post-show in Seoul, with them chiming in on microphone behind scenes.

Sweet Donuts is sweetness overload on the earwormiest o f foundations - dare you not to bob along when this is played in a crowd.

Vitamin Drop genuinely one of the underrated masterpieces of the group. Got some of the same brilliant dynamic as their other best songs, finding emotion and even melancholy over plinky plonky toy beats.

Perfect Star Perfect Star is a dang tearjerker. That dirty bass synth and the sugar frosted melody line.

Computer Driving is another stone cold earworm.

Foundation hones in on their indie electro mid-tempo sound they'd return to on GAME.

On some days this is their BEST album and really it does not have much to do with other jpop of the day. A clear statement from Perfume about who they were - only a younger version of today's group.

Jintor

5cm per second was like getting punched in the solar plexus over and over again. I thought my fucking heart would break in that third act, especially at the song montage bit

5cm per second was like getting punched in the solar plexus over and over again. I thought my fucking heart would break in that third act, especially at the song montage bit

It's like getting hit by a bus full of people on a feel trip but hey, the art style is gorgeous.

Top Bottom