• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Love the Instagram promo for COSMIC EXPLORER. It's cute and an interesting idea. Kashi repeating the title over and over and Nocchi with her English <3

tumblr_o4r84c8w6H1qdx3jjo1_500.gif
----

Namie Amuro has announced a new single 'Mint' - released 5/18.

Also announced is a hall tour for 2016.
She literally just finished her most recent tour this past week, no stopping for the queen!
(especially with Utada coming back)

neshcom

Banned
Namie Amuro has announced a new single 'Mint' - released 5/18.

Also announced is a hall tour for 2016.
She literally just finished her most recent tour this past week, no stopping for the queen!
(especially with Utada coming back)

Damn, girl. Will there even be an album for this tour?

Preview of Mint. Her website says it'll be a dark, serious, danceable rock song. I guess it'll be too soon to include that Olympics song too?

Damn, girl. Will there even be an album for this tour?

Preview of Mint. Her website says it'll be a dark, serious, danceable rock song. I guess it'll be too soon to include that Olympics song too?

Yeah I think it would be. She could always release the Olympics track digitally or put another single out in August, although that seems too much.

I know Namie will use any excuse to tour but honestly I have no idea what she'll do for this one. There's the recent collaboration poll that could be used like Checkmate!, or she could do a LIVE STYLE 2016 but I'm not really here for that if she isn't going to do old songs. I dislike hall tours :(

neshcom

Banned
Yeah I think it would be. She could always release the Olympics track digitally or put another single out in August, although that seems too much.

I know Namie will use any excuse to tour but honestly I have no idea what she'll do for this one. There's the recent collaboration poll that could be used like Checkmate!, or she could do a LIVE STYLE 2016 but I'm not really here for that if she isn't going to do old songs. I dislike hall tours :(

I remember that poll. Assuming that hall tour won't be until the summer/fall again, there's some time to announce an album, but you'd think big name collabs would have a decent-length news cycle.

The dream of a tour with a live band lives on in hall tours though.

It's been a minute since I paid attention to Japanese music.

Who are the big acts these days? Though, back in the day, that shit was a revolving door.

Kurita

It's been a minute since I paid attention to Japanese music.

Who are the big acts these days? Though, back in the day, that shit was a revolving door.

Not an exhaustive list at all but I'd say these are some of the most popular acts nowadays for pop and rock :
Sakanaction
BUMP OF CHICKEN (they're still very popular yeah)
RADWIMPS (same as above)
SEKAI NO OWARI
ONE OK ROCK
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
Perfume
Hoshino Gen
MAN WITH A MISSION
KANA-BOON
[Alexandros]
Yonezu Kenshi
Gesu no Kiwami Otome.
back number
WANIMA
KEYTALK
Suiyoubi no Campanella
BABYMETAL
Momoiro Clover Z

And then of course you have the countless Johnny's/AKB/EXILE acts.

It's kind of strange, when I first listened to Tokyo Black Hole it felt like it was surely Oomori's most cohesive and consistently good album, but I haven't felt the desire to listen to it nearly as much as I did with Sennou. I think Sennou had a couple parts that felt extraneous, but its high points were higher.

What I have been listening to a lot recently is something I bought on a whim, the latest album by the instrumental band KURUUCREW (here's their new "music video" or watch this old live performance). They are a new discovery for me but they perfectly combine so many of my musical interests. At heart they seem to be a continuation of bands like Rovo or turn-of-the-millenium Boredoms that took a lot of inspiration from motorik-driven krautrock, but they are also equal parts jazzcore in the vein of bands like Zu or 16-17. Folks were talking about the band Goat on here a while ago who are kind of similar and actually share the same saxophone player, but KURUUCREW head in a more heavy psych direction.

Other stuff: Nona Reeves has a new album out which I plan to order. I am a sucker for this sort of ultra-slick breezy late-70s/early-80s AOR.

The latest Kouteca instrumental has a real Yasunori Mitsuda RPG soundtrack vibe to it.

Merzbow has finally jumped on the idol noise bandwagon.

Chaos ensues when Kuroneko no Yuutsu meets Girlinear. The end of this clip cracks me up every time.

I caught this on twitter, and I love how stupid it is. props to Kanra for kind of "getting it" while the others just twirl around

the silence at the end of that Kuroneko clip is amazing

What I have been listening to a lot recently is something I bought on a whim, the latest album by the instrumental band KURUUCREW (here's their new "music video" or watch this old live performance). They are a new discovery for me but they perfectly combine so many of my musical interests. At heart they seem to be a continuation of bands like Rovo or turn-of-the-millenium Boredoms that took a lot of inspiration from motorik-driven krautrock, but they are also equal parts jazzcore in the vein of bands like Zu or 16-17. Folks were talking about the band Goat on here a while ago who are kind of similar and actually share the same saxophone player, but KURUUCREW head in a more heavy psych direction.

this is really good. I was trying to pin down what it sounds like to me, and there's not a small amount of Lightning Bolt in there too

Larsa

Yo this is fucking dope. And it's on OTOTOY, so I bought it. If only every Japanese album purchase was this easy...

I'm still bumping ZOMBIE-CHANGE regularly, my second favorite album of the year so far after Tokyo Black Hole.

it's one of my most listened to releases for sure. it's so completely charming.

I like that now that KOM_I is a big shot, Asami Nobuoka has switched to best buds with Z-C. their lady-bromance is adorable.

--

apparently KOTO is "taking over" ototoy (KOTOTOY), though it's not really clear right now what that means

but the song is a free download at least

Kurita

New &#24863;&#35226;&#12500;&#12456;&#12525; (Kankaku Piero) mini-album on June 1st!
It will include &#25309;&#21843;&#12289;&#12356;&#12388;&#12363;&#12398;&#21531;&#12408; which was already on their previous release, because it will be used as the theme song for a drama starring some pretty hip actors actually, like Okada Masaki and Matsuzaka Tori. Nice to see that a young band with its own label can get a tie-up like that.

Long-awaited first music video by AL, yes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9vkisNS_yQ

if you don't care about having a physical copy, I can all but guarantee it will be on itunes, spotify, google play music, etc since all their other stuff is.

llehuty

if you don't care about having a physical copy, I can all but guarantee it will be on itunes, spotify, google play music, etc since all their other stuff is.

I will have a physical copy at one point, but yeah, maybe I'll go digital first. It's a bit sad how it seems like Perfume doesn't care about Europe now.

Top Bottom