• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Brian the Sun's major debut single will be out on June 1st, called HEROES. Currently used as the ending theme song for My Hero Academia.

New 04 Limited Sazabys single on June 1st too. Seems like it'll be a busy day.

Peru

Oooh shit Utada two new singles on the 15th.

aramajapan_news_header_utadahikaru_art201604.jpg

Kurita

I'll just wait for my copy. SiM's album will arrive to my house earlier than Perfume's album so it will make the wait easier.

They want their 15 minutes of attention and it's eye-roll inducing, get over yourselves and upload the thing.

I'm very salty right now.

*checks youtube history*

kinoko teikoku
my dead girlfriend
17 year old and the berlin wall
yuragi
not sure if shishamo counts but they're fucking sick

walrus
luminous orange
tokenai namae
the sleepwalk
coaltar of the deepers (sort of)
(early) supercar
plastic girl in closet

e: i guess in some weird way, xinlisupreme might qualify

e2: harsh reminder of how goddamn good supercar were in the beginning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFLuZubqizI

e3: maybe also check out Number Girl, not really shoegaze, but some of the best jangly 90s alt rock the country produced

Kansoku

Slowdive

Banned
*checks youtube history*

kinoko teikoku
my dead girlfriend
17 year old and the berlin wall
yuragi
not sure if shishamo counts but they're fucking sick

Luminous Orange
Parupunte
101A
THE NOVEMBERS
溶けない名前
Tokyo Shoegazer
Hartfield
Mass of The Fermenting Dregs
BP.
pasteboard

i'm just happy we all said tokenai namae

my poor wallet :(

well you live in japan and a lot of this shit is a decade old at this point, I'm sure you can track them down pretty cheap at least

e: just went to add Shoujo Skip and kansoku beat me to it
e2: and lemon's chair dammit

GutsOfThor

Just got the email from cdjapan that my copy of Cosmic Explorer has shipped! Going to be a long week but I'm in the middle of listening to Perfume's discography from beginning to end so that should make the weight a little easier.

Why is 575 so fucking good? Can someone explain that!?

Kurita

Just got the email from cdjapan that my copy of Cosmic Explorer has shipped! Going to be a long week but I'm in the middle of listening to Perfume's discography from beginning to end so that should make the weight a little easier.

Why is 575 so fucking good? Can someone explain that!?
It's their best song

Slowdive

Banned
Its a good thing I was not expecting her best work for a NHK drama and News Zero.

Its okay.

Now I'll listen to it for the sixth time in the past hour.

edit: we have to wait a few hours for the News Zero one? When will hese be on itunes?

On the 15th.

it's probably their weakest major album, though the new non-single tracks are actually pretty good.

the thing about Level 3 was that the album-mix versions were actually good on their own, the ones here just make me want to listen to the singles. and that only counts the singles that I liked to begin with.

--

oh natsuki

Kurita

I'm actually too weak and can't wait for my CD, listening to the Cosmic Explorer album right now. Typing the message as I'm listening to it.

First the non single-songs
-Good intro.
-Cosmic Explorer is sick, kinda sounds like Perfume version of a synth-pop song from FOLKS or Czecho No Republic.
-Miracle Worker is god damn solid, love how the vocals sound.
-Next Stage With YOU has a great intro.
-STORY's intro is hype at first but might get tiring after a while, just get to the point. Otherwise the song is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire. Would love to hear it live.
-Baby Face is different, it's laid-back, I dig it.

Time to enter the dreaded part, the album mixes. I think it ruined Magic of Love and Spring of Life in LEVEL3. I mean they were cool but Nakata went overboard and we lost what I enjoyed about the original songs. They became too focused on the electro part and lost the pop charm (RIP Magic of Love god-tier chorus). Both versions of Spending All My Time were cool.

Anyways :
-FLASH, still a top-tier song. The chorus is better in the original version though.
-Sweet Refrain is cool but again, original was better. This one is like Sweet Refrain meets Hold Your Hand.
-TOKIMEKI LIGHTS, well, I still don't really care about that song. It's decent but Nakata should have put DISPLAY.
-STAR TRAIN... Now this is what I'm talking about, the changes aren't enormous and that's what I like. Same treatment as Laser Beam for JPN, which is the GOAT album mix. Just moderate tweaks turning a killer song into something even better.
-Cling Cling has some DISPLAY elements thrown in there, I really liked this album-mix.

So I guess it's 2 "singles were better" and 2 "yeah this is better!".

I'm glad Pick Me Up, Relax In The City and Hold Your Hand didn't get a remix cause they're all great.

I'm actually too weak and can't wait for my CD, listening to the Cosmic Explorer album right now. Typing the message as I'm listening to it.

First the non single-songs
-Good intro.
-Cosmic Explorer is sick, kinda sounds like Perfume version of a synth-pop song from FOLKS or Czecho No Republic.
-Miracle Worker is god damn solid, love how the vocals sound.
-Next Stage With YOU has a great intro.
-STORY's intro is hype at first but might get tiring after a while, just get to the point. Otherwise the song is fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire. Would love to hear it live.
-Baby Face is different, it's laid-back, I dig it.

Time to enter the dreaded part, the album mixes. I think it ruined Magic of Love and Spring of Life in LEVEL3. I mean they were cool but Nakata went overboard and we lost what I enjoyed about the original songs. They became too focused on the electro part and lost the pop charm (RIP Magic of Love god-tier chorus). Both versions of Spending All My Time were cool.

Anyways :
-FLASH, still a top-tier song. The chorus is better in the original version though.
-Sweet Refrain is cool but again, original was better. This one is like Sweet Refrain meets Hold Your Hand.
-TOKIMEKI LIGHTS, well, I still don't really care about that song. It's decent but Nakata should have put DISPLAY.
-STAR TRAIN... Now this is what I'm talking about, the changes aren't enormous and that's what I like. Same treatment as Laser Beam for JPN, which is the GOAT album mix. Just moderate tweaks turning a killer song into something even better.
-Cling Cling has some DISPLAY elements thrown in there, I really liked this album-mix.

So I guess it's 2 "singles were better" and 2 "yeah this is better!".

I'm glad Pick Me Up, Relax In The City and Hold Your Hand didn't get a remix cause they're all great.

I am pretty much in general agreement with you, man. I also want to note this whole album sounds more Nakata experimental and less "safe" than LEVEL3. That said, Miracle Worker is like mechanical sirens soothing you, very quaint. I know, that sounds completely off color but that's how I visualize it, lol.

llehuty

Other than the Cling Cling album mix (which is a really disappointing remix), the tracks go from good to great for me.

The first half of the album is great, and all the new tracks could have been singles (Cosmic Explorer specially, all those melodies and riffs). The opening 3 is magical. I had zero expectations for Next stage with U, but the song is really good. STORY still gives me goosebumps.

Too soon to rank it compared to the other albums, but I'm really happy about the album. It's a shame it can't keep the momentum of the first half, though.

Peru

Tokimeki Lights is so good though mang. It's like those warm and comforting mid-tempo Perfume songs they did a couple of albums ago.

Kurita

Tokimeki Lights is so good though mang. It's like those warm and comforting mid-tempo Perfume songs they did a couple of albums ago.

It has potential but it lacks a je ne sais quoi. It's far from being bad but I don't know... Imo the best b-side from the Cosmic Explorer era is 恋は前傾姿勢 from Sweet Refrain.
Maybe it'll grow on me.

EDIT : well, two more spins later I like it a lot, good job Peru

Kansoku

Okay did the commenting through the album thing:

Navigate is surprisingly nice.
Cosmic Explorer is quite good. Would change some things here and there, but otherwise nice start.
Miracle Worker is also quite good. The album would be pretty nice if it was in this and Cosmic Explorer styles, but since we had already heard 85% of it before I know it won't be. =/
Next Stage with YOU what a funky start. Honestly the instrumental parts are the best parts =X
STORY it kinda feels out of place. I still maintain it should've been the intro. Change places with Navigate and expand on that. The first minute and half are great then it devolves into one of the sounds I usually hate in EDM and the like. Okay, I changed my mind. It feels EXTREMELY out of place.
FLASH honestly I kinda like this version, at least so far. Yep. Some weird moments, but definitively a improvement.
Sweet Refrain oh god i already hate it. didn't even need 10 seconds. nakata wtf. WHAT IS THAT A GUITAR? He killed Spring of Life (my favorite single from LEVEL3) and now he killed this. He can't keep getting away with this.
Baby Face what. this is good.
TOKIMEKI LIGHTS first time listening to it, let's see. surprisingly nice.
STAR TRAIN meh. at least he didn't make it worse.
Relax in the city chillin'
Pick Me Up good as we've know
Cling Cling Oh this don't seem all that dif- what. WHAT. Man I would rather enjoy if instead of experimenting with songs he already made, he could you now, put these in new songs and work them from the ground up. The new weird parts? I like it, but then the Cling Cling parts come in and the mix get quite odd. At least the song is a lot more interesting now.
Hold Your Hand meh. unlike some, I actually kinda like the song, but still =/

So in the end, okay album. The new songs are all quite good. I would love if the album was a jazzy electronica kinda of deal but it's kinda all over the place =/
Also the track order kinda sucks. With all the songs we have, I would do something like this:

STORY
Pick Me Up
Cosmic Explorer
透明人間
Next Stage with YOU
Miracle Worker
Navigate (extended version)
Cling Cling (Album Version)
Sweet Refrain (SINGLE VERSION DO NOT TOUCH THIS)
FLASH (Album Version)
TOKIMEKI LIGHTS (Album Version)
STAR TRAIN (Album Version)
Relax in the City
Baby Face
恋は前傾姿勢

And
LEVEL 3 = JPN >>> GAME >> COSMIC EXPLORER >= ⊿

Top Bottom