• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

neshcom

Banned
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/crazy-crazy-feat.-charli-xcx/id1188768645?l=en

Anybody able to hear this song? I'm very curious but I don't have an iTunes Now account

Sounds neat with a nice pop beat, though the chorus sounds vocoded to all hell. It's cute enough to be catchy probably, but seems uninspired. I think Nakata needs a break because he's lost it.
Remix sounds...um. If the preview is right, it's literally just the song with a stronger, 4/4 kick drum. Guess it's more of a re-mix.

iTunes preview of song and remix.

The Especia news is sad but not surprising. At least Monari has a new single out next month.

This new Koutei Camera Gal track might be my favorite from them.

This is the first footage I've seen of the recently reunited Afrirampo. Brings back memories.

On a unrelated note. MAAAAN AZUMA HITOMI IS SOOOO GOOOOOD. Her album フォトン is goddamn amazing.

I like her a lot and hope she's working on new music. The last thing she was active in was the rock band 37°2 which never really took off. She also did a lot of the arrangement on the last Akiko Yano album but I want new solo stuff soon.

Kansoku

The Especia news is sad but not surprising. At least Monari has a new single out next month.

This new Koutei Camera Gal track might be my favorite from them.

This is the first footage I've seen of the recently reunited Afrirampo. Brings back memories.

I like her a lot and hope she's working on new music. The last thing she was active in was the rock band 37°2 which never really took off. She also did a lot of the arrangement on the last Akiko Yano album but I want new solo stuff soon.

As far as I know, 372 ended and she started another "band" with U the drummer from 372. It's called キスできればそれでいいしス. Nothing from them yet though.

Jintor

two new artists i love found thanks to a youtube algorithm that is monitoring my every motion. not sure whether to be thankful or afraid

Melchior

Will we ever see another Esno release? Visionary and Release were so good. I need more of it in my life. Also 夕暮れパラレリズム with daoko is great too. And more album covers from たえ.

Kansoku

two new artists i love found thanks to a youtube algorithm that is monitoring my every motion. not sure whether to be thankful or afraid

A bunch of artists I like were from either YouTube recommendations or stuff posted on /r/japanesemusic

Will we ever see another Esno release? Visionary and Release were so good. I need more of it in my life. Also 夕暮れパラレリズム with daoko is great too.

I hope so. I was already caught by surprise by Release. I thought he wasn't active anymore after the 夕暮れパラレリズム single.

Koutei Camera Girl 3 is going to be a thing apparently, auditions for entirely new lineup soon
https://www.barks.jp/news/?id=1000137212

I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not. I wonder if Mol will still be around though.

the audition form is pretty funny. "no previous rap experience required. in fact, we prefer you don't have any."

--

https://twitter.com/SCUM_BEACH_BOY/status/821861811469193216

Have a Nice Day! are going on hiatus because Asami just had a kid

--

https://twitter.com/PlainSugarSubs/status/822119001660624898

BiS are performing every day for a week and then running a 100km marathon because Watanabe thinks he's gotten too soft on them. maybe Peri will wear actual running shoes this time. Meanwhile I think he needs to be more creative with his dickishness.

PillarEN

Crazy Crazy is on Spotify and YouTube (unofficial) now.

Eeee I don't know. Sounds like barely less safe than typical pop in the west. I would have expected the instrumental to go to Katy Perry or something and then slightly water it down so it's not too playful.

"You make my heart go boom"??? Doki doki or bust!

But seriously, I'm a bit scared of the next KPP album with this recent stuff. I was down with the songs added to the Best Of album though. My fear is that Nakata will simply do what he wants to do and like the last Capsule album he'll get into some kind of boring fad and simply work with that. I mean it's ok from an execution standpoint. Hell "Take Me To Another World" gets me psyched up and I totally see the album working at a higher end club with people getting their expensive drink on and flashing their expensive clothes, but as an alum for the sake of listening to it on its own, it's no good aside from a few tracks.

C2ivmwzUcAA5bnP.jpg

not sure if this was posted yet, but new Shounen ga Milk mini album out on 2/8

---

oh and I guess LLLL announced that project he was talking about.

https://zoomlens.bandcamp.com/album/chains-phase-1-resent-ep

”Chains" is the 12-month project of LLLL.

A new chain will be released the 1st Friday of every month.
A compiled EP will be released on the day of every 3rd chain.

The entire project will be split into 4 individual phases lasting 1 year.

A new visual artist will be invited for every track.Their basis in creation is to uphold a projective sense of the work before them.

Nice!
I remember watching an old live DVD of OOR one day, my mom randomly heard a song (I think it was Mikansei Koukyoukyoku) while walking by my room and she said "Huh that's pretty great" hahaha
Well she doesn't listen to them but still. :D

I'm really enjoying that album more than I thought. I mean, I knew I'd love it obviously but you know. So happy to have another amazing OOR album. I've already listened to it like 15 times since Tuesday :D
I wish the two versions didn't have a different tracklist cause 20/20, Lost in Tonight, Always Coming Back from the Japanese version, and American Girls, Jaded, Hard to Love from the International one are all great. I'm afraid some people won't have the chance to hear all of them (well you can get the International version easily in Japan).
Maybe they'll release a deluxe edition later with all the tracks.

This is a damn good week for music, BLUE ENCOUNT and Mrs. GREEN APPLE also released killer albums.

I'm always forwarding youtube links to her. I know she loves rock music, so whenever I hear something she might like I'll send it over. Right now she is into RADWIMPS, SPYAIR and Man with a Mission. I've been sending her some HaKu too.
Mom is awesome, I'll catch her busting this is not a business from her car. She doesn't care, she loves it.

PillarEN

Really? There are many other amazing ones, including the wonderful Kashiwa Daisuke.

It's not something I look into. I kinda treat him like Brian Eno. I got into Sakamoto because of a Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence so it was a soundtrack connection which made me interested in his works. Brian Eno was a connection of loving his production on U2's The Unforgettable Fire and then checking out his ambient work. Uh, what am I trying to say. I guess that their types of music is not something I search for in terms of personal taste but I bumped into them in roundabout ways and really adore their work while still not necessarily digging into other artists similar to them or in their respective genres. For Sakamoto for example I never go out of my way to look for piano albums (not counting stuff like Ben Folds Five or Suddenly Tammy!) the same way for Eno I don't look for random ambient or soundtrack esque music.

I hope that makes sense. A little tl;dr but I can't really explain it better.

Kurita

Listening to uverworld

im missing the early 2000s japanese rock scene. My nostalgia is overflowing

edit: i want want want want want this alexandros hoodie https://twitter.com/alexandroscrew/status/823053523885563904

i dunno how to get it :(

Well unless you go to a show I doubt you'll be able to get one, unless the webstore gets more stocks. Maybe they'll have some after the tour ends? Doubt they ship internationally though.

Personally I got the "We Come in Peace" white shirt since I'm going to their tour finale on April 23th and I don't want to wait 1 hour in line for goods lol

Speaking of goods, I LOVE the new SiM shirt

broz0rs

There's a new TBS drama called "Quartet" that has the most awesome theme song. It's performed by the four cast members, but the main vocal is the same one who sung the Japanese version of "Let it Go" from Frozen. I just wish the song was longer cause it's amazeballs.

カルテット主題歌 おとなの掟 / Doughnuts Hole

edit: seems like TBS has been taking down links, so here's an outside link to the PV instead:
http://pv755.com/otona-no-okite

Kurita

There's a new TBS drama called "Quartet" that has the most awesome theme song. It's performed by the four cast members, but the main vocal is the same one who sung the Japanese version of "Let it Go" from Frozen. I just wish the song was longer cause it's amazeballs.

カルテット主題歌 おとなの掟 / Doughnuts Hole
And the song is by Shiina Ringo

I need to watch that drama, I love one of the main actors.

Larsa

And the song is by Shiina Ringo

I need to watch that drama, I love one of the main actors.
Both the main actresses, Hikari Mitsushima and Takako Matsu, are fantastic. It's written by Sakamoto Yuji which means it's potentially great if it's comedic like Mondai no Aru Restaurant or it's a melodramatic disaster like Soredemo Ikite Yuku and Itsuka Kono Koi... Probably the latter lol.

Top Bottom