• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Larsa

Larsa rejoice, Shinsei Kamattechan are releasing a full album next Summer
http://natalie.mu/music/news/215629

Yeah! heard https://twitter.com/nitramsral/status/815308823825121280
Very excited :D

--

http://lars-martin.tumblr.com/post/155268362089/top-15-albums-of-2016
Wrote down my top 15 albums of 2016 a few days ago.

15. Haru Nemuri - Sayonara Youthphobia
(14. Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp)
13. REOL - Σ
(12. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition)
11. Have a Nice Day! - Anthem for Living Dead Floor
10. BiSH - KiLLER BiSH (and Fake Metal Jacket)
9. BPM15Q - BPM15Q ALL SONGS
8. Shinsei Kamattechan - Natsu. Install
7. GOMESS - Joukei -Kouhen-
6. Togawa Jun with Vampillia - Watashi ga Nakou Hototogisu
5. Yukueshirezutsurezure - Post Katastrophe
4. Bellring Shoujo Heart - BEYOND
3. ZOMBIE-CHANG - ZOMBIE-CHANGE
(2. Death Grips - Bottomless Pit)
1. Oomori Seiko - TOKYO BLACK HOLE

After listening to it a lot the last few days I'd probably fit Koutei Camera Girl Zwei's Night on Verse in there somewhere. I think it's my favorite album by them.

After listening to it a lot the last few days I'd probably fit Koutei Camera Girl Zwei's Night on Verse in there somewhere. I think it's my favorite album by them.

yeah I think I'm in the same place. it feels like all the elements have totally come together on this one, just in time to break up.

LayLa

yeh the last Koutei album is easily their strongest work, Salt Lake has been my jam all week.
the first Koutei Gal EP is really good as well!

Puffy AmiYumi us shows!

Tuesday 04 April 2017
Puffy AmiYumi
Belasco Theater, Los Angeles, CA, US

Thursday 06 April 2017
Puffy AmiYumi
The Regency Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, US

Sunday 09 April 2017
Puffy AmiYumi
Trees, Dallas, TX, US

Baby meal will be opening for Red hot chili peppers on these dates:

April 12 | Washington, DC | Verizon Center
April 14 | Atlanta, GA | Phillips Arena
April 15 | Raleigh, NC | PNC Arena
April 17 | Charlotte, NC | Spectrum Center
April 19 | Columbia, SC | Colonial Life Arena
April 22 | North Little Rock, AR | Verizon Arena
April 24 | Jacksonville, FL | Veterans Memorial Arena
April 26 | Orlando, FL | Amway Center
April 27 | Tampa, FL | Amalie Arena
April 29 | Miami, FL | American Airlines Arena

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me identify a Japanese boy band. I was in Japan on the 24th of December and a Japanese boy band performed live at Diver City near the giant Gundam statue. Unfortunately I was not able to identify their name, nor could I record or take photos. Their music was great though and I'd love to purchase it.

Is there a good site where I could buy digital high quality versions of Passepied albums?

Their second album is available on Bandcamp in FLAC via a French label. Unfortunately, their other albums don't appear to be on Ototoy, which is the usual go-to for FLACs. I think there's another Japanese storefront that sells lossless files but it escapes me at the moment, and I feel like Ototoy is the more popular one so if they don't have it, dunno that anyone else would.

You could probably buy MP3s off Amazon.co.jp as a last resort.

EDIT: The other lossless store is Mora, and they've got newer stuff in FLAC. Everything starting from singles off their latest album (娑婆ラバ) is there; the rest of the library is too but only in 320kbps AAC-LC. I've never bought from them before so I don't know how easy it is to buy stuff as an overseas customer, but the Passepied site references Mora specifically so it's legit.

Kurita

Is there a good site where I could buy digital high quality versions of Passepied albums?

Mora has them
http://mora.jp/artist/141740/

Dunno if you can buy from overseas though

Their second album is available on Bandcamp in FLAC via a French label. Unfortunately, their other albums don't appear to be on Ototoy, which is the usual go-to for FLACs. I think there's another Japanese storefront that sells lossless files but it escapes me at the moment, and I feel like Ototoy is the more popular one so if they don't have it, dunno that anyone else would.

You could probably buy MP3s off Amazon.co.jp as a last resort.

Mora seems to be bigger than Ototoy for hi-res files, especially if you want stuff from major labels. Though I assume you can find some stuff only on Ototoy and vice versa.

Mora seems to be bigger than Ototoy for hi-res files, especially if you want stuff from major labels. Though I assume you can find some stuff only on Ototoy and vice versa.

Oh, that explains why Passepied's on there (and why I don't know Mora, I guess?). I'll have to go through their library at some point and see if you can actually buy stuff!

Anyways, another option I just discovered: if you have a 7digital storefront in your country (US, UK and Canada all appear to work), it turns out they ALSO have 娑婆ラバ/shaba-lover as FLACs. So that's two western sources that should cover everything except that pesky first album (which unfortunately also happens to be my favourite).

It's so hard to find FLAC storefronts that whenever I learn about one, I hang on for dear life.

Baby meal will be opening for Red hot chili peppers on these dates:

April 12 | Washington, DC | Verizon Center
April 14 | Atlanta, GA | Phillips Arena
April 15 | Raleigh, NC | PNC Arena
April 17 | Charlotte, NC | Spectrum Center
April 19 | Columbia, SC | Colonial Life Arena
April 22 | North Little Rock, AR | Verizon Arena
April 24 | Jacksonville, FL | Veterans Memorial Arena
April 26 | Orlando, FL | Amway Center
April 27 | Tampa, FL | Amalie Arena
April 29 | Miami, FL | American Airlines Arena
EEEEK WASHINGTON DC I'M GOING

kasane

guess on ok rock will keep in doing the 2 version songs

edit: the 18 fes version is fucking sublime. I hope they have a better master of this version

edit2: i cant even this is so good

tumblr_o245qf6noc1uj92k5o1_500.gif

Kurita

Didnt see that version and holy shit this is awesome.
Yeah, the whole show was pretty great. It showed two things : portraits about some of the teenagers who took part in it, very touching, as well as OOR actually making the song.
All of that lead to the performance, it was so good.

I just bought the album during my lunch break, last class of the day will be haaaaard

broz0rs

That live version of We Are is dope af

no regular audience can sing like that though, is that some type of special choir? they didn't just sing along, they harmonized lol

Kurita

That live version of We Are is dope af

no regular audience can sing like that though, is that some type of special choir? they didn't just sing along, they harmonized lol
Yeah, basically 1000 fans got handpicked by the band for this project (they sent video messages talking about them, showcasing some sort of skill...).
Then they had like 2 months were they all rehearsed (bear in mind that the majority of them aren't singers/part of their school choir/whatever). The live was the first time the band and the fans did it together though.
Really the whole show had some nice stories (like that girl who had to quit her soccer club because of an injury), it was well made. And it was the first time ONE OK ROCK appeared on broadcast television!

-
I'm listening to the album right now, preeeeeeeetty great. I'm surprised by the featuring with Avril Lavigne lol, it's quite good, and Aimer is actually in it too (she does the backing vocals)! I think the American version doesn't have Avril Lavigne on it tho, so I might end liking that one better lol Guess I'll have to wait 2 more days to hear it (looking forward to the 3 exclusive tracks).
EDIT : alright, done with it. No complaints about it really. It's everything I expect and want from a poppy pop-punk/emo album. I expected something closer to 35xxxv actually, but it does some new things, I was pleasantly surprised.
Also it doesn't have any songs I see myself skipping in the near future. Almost all of their previous albums had some of those (Wherever You Are, Be the Light, Pierce, All Mine, Heartache...) that I simply deleted from my library, so that's great.
Too early to pick favorite songs from it, but amongst the new songs (i.e. not Taking Off, Bedroom Warfare, Always Coming Back and I Was King) I really enjoyed We are (which is imo going to be one of their new classics), 20/20, Start Again... and some will definitely grow on me like One Way Ticket. The featuring with 5 Seconds of Summer is a great song too. Only know their name but not their music, I guess they're a popular pop-rock band for teenagers too.

Kurita

Grabbed Mrs. GREEN APPLE and BLUE ENCOUNT's new albums today too. Both veeeery good releases.
Bonus points to BLUE ENCOUNT for namedropping Ellegarden on one track!!

hazukash

SMAP, like other idols, were mostly single-sellers so it's not that surprising really. 2001 was during their peak and at the height of Japan's music industry. Everything started going downhill in 2002. The album on which Sekai ni hitotsu dake no hana was released didn't even sell a million whereas the (recut) single did almost 3 times that. Granted, it might be the most iconic J-pop song ever so the figures are exceptionally disproportionate.

I miss those days when Oricon charts and records had actual relevance, and I'm speaking as an idol fan.

Zoe

SMAP, like other idols, were mostly single-sellers so it's not that surprising really. 2001 was during their peak and at the height of Japan's music industry. Everything started going downhill in 2002. The album on which Sekai ni hitotsu dake no hana was released didn't even sell a million whereas the (recut) single did almost 3 times that. Granted, it might be the most iconic J-pop song ever so the figures are exceptionally disproportionate.

I miss those days when Oricon charts and records had actual relevance, and I'm speaking as an idol fan.

In the 90's everything was printing money though. Million-seller albums were the norm for the top artists.

Top Bottom