• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

neshcom

Banned
while this is far from her worst song, Nakata is so creatively bankrupt that it's just embarrassing. this is what, the 3rd or 4th single of hers with the toy piano/pizzicato strings thing going on. the prechorus is just Party Maker.

at least kyary doesn't look anorexic anymore

The video isn't anything to write home about either. Her visuals are past the tipping point of being very technically impressive and conceptually boring.

Kurita

love love love, can't wait for the new album

also very excited to pick up blue encount's new album today
It's sooooo good. Might be better than the previous one which is my favorite Blue Encount album... Full of powerful and forward looking songs as usual.
Some very surprising stuff in it, especially "city" which is basically a hip-hop song about the vocalist's life. Love it.
だいじょうぶ is slowly becoming my favorite song by these guys. I was already loving it when the single came out. It's so positive and full of energy.

---
MAN WITH A MISSION - Dead End in Tokyo (if it's blocked just replace Tube by Pak)

Yeah, basically 1000 fans got handpicked by the band for this project (they sent video messages talking about them, showcasing some sort of skill...).
Then they had like 2 months were they all rehearsed (bear in mind that the majority of them aren't singers/part of their school choir/whatever). The live was the first time the band and the fans did it together though.
Really the whole show had some nice stories (like that girl who had to quit her soccer club because of an injury), it was well made. And it was the first time ONE OK ROCK appeared on broadcast television!

-
I'm listening to the album right now, preeeeeeeetty great. I'm surprised by the featuring with Avril Lavigne lol, it's quite good, and Aimer is actually in it too (she does the backing vocals)! I think the American version doesn't have Avril Lavigne on it tho, so I might end liking that one better lol Guess I'll have to wait 2 more days to hear it (looking forward to the 3 exclusive tracks).
EDIT : alright, done with it. No complaints about it really. It's everything I expect and want from a poppy pop-punk/emo album. I expected something closer to 35xxxv actually, but it does some new things, I was pleasantly surprised.
Also it doesn't have any songs I see myself skipping in the near future. Almost all of their previous albums had some of those (Wherever You Are, Be the Light, Pierce, All Mine, Heartache...) that I simply deleted from my library, so that's great.
Too early to pick favorite songs from it, but amongst the new songs (i.e. not Taking Off, Bedroom Warfare, Always Coming Back and I Was King) I really enjoyed We are (which is imo going to be one of their new classics), 20/20, Start Again... and some will definitely grow on me like One Way Ticket. The featuring with 5 Seconds of Summer is a great song too. Only know their name but not their music, I guess they're a popular pop-rock band for teenagers too.

sounds great, cant wait till Friday to hear it. Also 5SoS is an Australian pop band that toured with OOR over the summer, which is why they are on the new album( I think or it might be some label thing)

Aizo

Banned
I'm at the Vampillia/Togawa Jun show now. VMO was fucking awesome like always.

My friend surprised me tonight by telling me that I'm going with 'em to Kyary in March for free!!! Woooooooo! Finally :D

Kurita

Grabbed the 3 exclusive tracks of the international edition of ONE OK ROCK's new album on iTunes. They're all pretty great! American Girls cracks me up cause it's basically Taka saying "I'm a Japanese dude in America and I desperately want an American girl" hahaha The song itself is super upbeat and catchy, can't help but smiling while listening to it.
Hard to Love is pretty touching, guessing it's about Taka and his dad.
Jaded, featuring All Time Low's vocalist, is very straight-forward, a simple but super effective pop-punk tune.

So yeah, Ambitions is basically an amazing 17 tracks long (well, 16 cause there's an intro) album. They didn't disappoint.

I'm at the Vampillia/Togawa Jun show now. VMO was fucking awesome like always.

My friend surprised me tonight by telling me that I'm going with 'em to Kyary in March for free!!! Woooooooo! Finally :D

Have fun at that show! KPP put on a great show when I saw her last summer.

Kansoku

maybe because it's a cover (of sorts?) not sure.

I mean, sure, but why not one of the album tracks? Like everyone does when releasing a new album =P

Speaking of the album, I'm listening to it right now and it's so weird. There's a lot more electronic in it that I was expecting.

Aizo

Banned
Togawa Jun and Vampillia were incredible performing together. What an amazing show. Over three hours long. VMO opened, then Vampillia, and then Togawa Jun and Vampillia. What crazy endurance this band has to open for themselves twice!!

There was an ongoing joke at the show (which they haven't done the past two times I've seen them), that they kept attempting to do a member introduction of the band but always got interupted. One time, Togawa Jun was coming back on stage, so they didn't get to do the introduction, and she said "Oh, I don't mean to interrupt. It seems like you were about to do a member introduction," so Micci (the face of the band) was in the background waving his hands like "No, no, no." Togawa caught on and was like "But that seems like a running gag, perhaps." I laughed pretty hard at that. Good comedic timing.

Another moment that made me laugh, while I'm on the subject, was when Mongoloid had finished up his typical (he's done this every time I've seen them in the last three years) ladder routine, where he climbs to the top of the ladder and shakes it while screaming from the top. He left the ladder extended in the audience, and they started playing a song. The instrumental section was really setting the mood, and he suddenly says on the mic "So that's the kind of ladder with a button on the side. If you press that, it will collapse, and you can just put it to the side," in a really dry manner, which was just so perfect as it completely ruined the atmosphere. Hahaha.

They played all the greats, including lilac, which was very cool to hear live. They even did a special version of 赤い戦車 (so this song was played twice) as their final encore song.

Vampillia, even after seeing them three times, remains the most mysterious band I've ever been into. They really appear to have a strict separation between themselves as performers and themselves as people. I talked to the stand-in guitarist a bit after the show, so I might message him in a bit to get some info out of him. haha

Edit: Here's a shitty picture from the show.
C2HbnR2UoAElEtp.jpg
Also, I bought one of the shirts that Togashi (of Hunter x Hunter/Yu Yu Hakusho fame) drew the design for!!

Grabbed the 3 exclusive tracks of the international edition of ONE OK ROCK's new album on iTunes. They're all pretty great! American Girls cracks me up cause it's basically Taka saying "I'm a Japanese dude in America and I desperately want an American girl" hahaha The song itself is super upbeat and catchy, can't help but smiling while listening to it.
Hard to Love is pretty touching, guessing it's about Taka and his dad.
Jaded, featuring All Time Low's vocalist, is very straight-forward, a simple but super effective pop-punk tune.

So yeah, Ambitions is basically an amazing 17 tracks long (well, 16 cause there's an intro) album. They didn't disappoint.

I convinced my Mom to give them a listen and she immediately bought the album yesterday off iTunes. She says she has been listening to it nonstop since yesterday and loves them. I love that my Mom is so open minded.
By the way, I'm enjoying the album too! Haha

Kurita

I convinced my Mom to give them a listen and she immediately bought the album yesterday off iTunes. She says she has been listening to it nonstop since yesterday and loves them. I love that my Mom is so open minded.
By the way, I'm enjoying the album too! Haha

Nice!
I remember watching an old live DVD of OOR one day, my mom randomly heard a song (I think it was Mikansei Koukyoukyoku) while walking by my room and she said "Huh that's pretty great" hahaha
Well she doesn't listen to them but still. :D

I'm really enjoying that album more than I thought. I mean, I knew I'd love it obviously but you know. So happy to have another amazing OOR album. I've already listened to it like 15 times since Tuesday :D
I wish the two versions didn't have a different tracklist cause 20/20, Lost in Tonight, Always Coming Back from the Japanese version, and American Girls, Jaded, Hard to Love from the International one are all great. I'm afraid some people won't have the chance to hear all of them (well you can get the International version easily in Japan).
Maybe they'll release a deluxe edition later with all the tracks.

This is a damn good week for music, BLUE ENCOUNT and Mrs. GREEN APPLE also released killer albums.

Larsa

broz0rs

I don't think I've ever seen as many YT reaction videos posted of a Japanese song than We Are. I'm starting to believe OOR can find success outside of Japan.

Kurita

I don't think I've ever seen as many YT reaction videos posted of a Japanese song than We Are. I'm starting to believe OOR can find success outside of Japan.
I'm not really sure what warranted them but hey, good for them even though I don't care for reaction videos! Happy to see they're finally recognized worldwide not just by people who usually listen to Japanese music.
The album seems to be getting good digital sales overseas, so yaaay! Can't help but feel proud of them after following for 10 years. Here's to 10 more.

In other news, RADWIMPS will perfom at Tokyo Dome alongside Coldplay in April, part of Coldplay's world tour.

Kurita

Wow, I'm not used to Perfume's vocals being so front and center. Is this a radio rip? The instrumental sounds kind of lacking to me. Honestly, this sounds like a KPP reject. Hopefully the B-side redeems the single.

Yeah they aired it yesterday on the radio

According to Oricon, ONE OK ROCK's new album topped the charts and sold 230.000 units the first week. The international version also charted, it's number 4 and sold around 37.000 copies. For reference, their previous album, 35xxxv sold around 165.000 copies the first week.
http://ro69.jp/news/detail/154756?count=1&topic=2
Curious to see the digital sales too.

llehuty

Wow, I'm not used to Perfume's vocals being so front and center. Is this a radio rip? The instrumental sounds kind of lacking to me. Honestly, this sounds like a KPP reject. Hopefully the B-side redeems the single.
Yeah, I think it's a radio RIP, found a better quality RIP where the instrumental shines a bit more, but it's from a NSFW tumblr, for some reason. I would share it otherwise

Top Bottom