• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Infinite

They've done some live vocals if they're not too processed - the new album has more natural vocals than ever before so I foresee more live vocals this tour. A-Chan in particular has a great voice.

And they are quite a few notches above Kendrick on the 'legend' ladder of music history.

Disagree wholeheartedly - what makes MCZ ten times more attractive to see live than other idol groups is their energy and stamina and balls out-ness on the stage and it would not come across half as well if that didn't include singing their asses off even after doing acrobatics around the stadium for two hours. It's impressive and charming.

And here's a solid example of how decent they are vocally when not running around like mad (still 20 songs deep in the set list). http://vid48.com/watch_video.php?v=YH33B5R8SHY9

Of course Perfume's appeal is different - the perfection of the moves, the club atmosphere, it's like the Daft Punk pyramid - whether the sound is live or not is not that important.

Perfume lives always have like a new stage gimmick. Their lives always pioneers some sort of innovation with stuff like projection mapping and unique set designs.

LayLa

Disagree wholeheartedly - what makes MCZ ten times more attractive to see live than other idol groups is their energy and stamina and balls out-ness on the stage and it would not come across half as well if that didn't include singing their asses off even after doing acrobatics around the stadium for two hours. It's impressive and charming.

Oh I'm not criticizing them for it, I'm a big fan and I'm glad they do it. I'm just saying that they don't actually need to, the competition doesn't. It's a big plus with me though!

Aizo

Banned
They've done some live vocals if they're not too processed - the new album has more natural vocals than ever before so I foresee more live vocals this tour. A-Chan in particular has a great voice.

And they are quite a few notches above Kendrick on the 'legend' ladder of music history.

And here's a solid example of how decent they are vocally when not running around like mad (still 20 songs deep in the set list). http://vid48.com/watch_video.php?v=YH33B5R8SHY9

Of course Perfume's appeal is different - the perfection of the moves, the club atmosphere, it's like the Daft Punk pyramid - whether the sound is live or not is not that important.

Oooh. Real instruments, too? I'm charmed. I've never listened to Momoiro Clover Z, but I'm impressed. I don't really like idol groups, but I will check them out.

LayLa

Oooh. Real instruments, too? I'm charmed. I've never listened to Momoiro Clover Z, but I'm impressed. I don't really like idol groups, but I will check them out.

yeh they are quite different from other idol groups, half the fun is seeing what crazy direction they go in next
this song with a live band was recorded for a TV show, gives a more accurate idea of their live singing than an official DVD would http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrFxO4WgpW4

Peru

Even that was lip synced though :\

It's hard for me to accept them as top of the game as long as they keep doing that.

Unless you go to see them live every day I don't see why that has any relevance to their stand in 'the game'. It's not like they can't sing live: http://youtu.be/TcA5HtvhOrw

practical reasons are behind them not doing it much, and their shows are more about the modern pop art they make with their choreographer. I've never been to one where the crowd got more pumped.

yeh they are quite different from other idol groups, half the fun is seeing what crazy direction they go in next
this song with a live band was recorded for a TV show, gives a more accurate idea of their live singing than an official DVD would http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrFxO4WgpW4

To be fair they've not really struggled with a song more challenging than BIRTHØBIRTH. Here's a slow tempo TV performance (with miwa, who seems to be by their side all the time) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HfVuAOt34Q

Kurita

Ew. I give up on trying to see a show in Japan, then.
You're really missing out then, the atmosphere during their shows is crazy.
I was more exhausted after their Paris show than after the Maximum The Hormone concert I've been to a couple of years before.
Plus their shows in Japan are often an amazing mix of music and visuals.

Aizo

Banned
You're really missing out then, the atmosphere during their shows is crazy.
I was more exhausted after their Paris show than after the Maximum The Hormone concert I've been to a couple of years before.
Plus their shows in Japan are often an amazing mix of music and visuals.

I am a pretty poor dude. I buy cheap things. Perfume concerts are insanely expensive, and, as a musician, I really don't want to see that sort of musical performance live, personally.

I'm sure it would be a very fun experience, but I'd rather spend my money on Indie shows.

Zoe

Unless you go to see them live every day I don't see why that has any relevance to their stand in 'the game'. It's not like they can't sing live: http://youtu.be/TcA5HtvhOrw

practical reasons are behind them not doing it much, and their shows are more about the modern pop art they make with their choreographer. I've never been to one where the crowd got more pumped.

I like how the response to criticism of their lip syncing is always to bust out a clip from 8 years ago.

It's disappointing to me because there are other girl groups and singer-dancers, now and those who came before them, who have managed to put on great performances and properly balance choreography and singing. All flair, little substance musically.

Peru

I like how the response to criticism of their lip syncing is always to bust out a clip from 8 years ago.

It's disappointing to me because there are other girl groups and singer-dancers, now and those who came before them, who have managed to put on great performances and properly balance choreography and singing. All flair, little substance musically.

How is that in any way related to the musical substance? What's put on record is their product and it's plenty substantial. Again what does any of this have to do with the songs, the albums? I genuinely don't understand what you're saying.

I'd venture to say that none of the groups you refer to have vocals processed this way for basically every song, but I'm not really here to argue how good their lives are or not. Plenty of people would say their shows are among the most unique and artful in pop but some may only want live vocals. I'm saying mixing up that with arguing about their legend status for putting out inventive, unique pop for ten years running is not relevant.

Zoe

How is that in any way related to the musical substance? What's put on record is their product and it's plenty substantial. Again what does any of this have to do with the songs, the albums? I genuinely don't understand what you're saying.

I'd venture to say that none of the groups you refer to have vocals processed this way for basically every song, but I'm not really here to argue how good their lives are or not. Plenty of people would say their shows are among the most unique and artful in pop but some may only want live vocals. I'm saying mixing up that with arguing about their legend status for putting out inventive, unique pop for ten years running is not relevant.

They are touted as the second coming in the idol/girl group business, but in my opinion to be able to hold that title they should be impressing on all fronts. They don't sing live, so for me that's a big mark against them in their TV performances and concerts.

Not all of their singles are super-processed. Effects can be done live. But you could watch all of the TV performances they've done for a single, and the only thing that changes is the stage.

Kurita

The new Galileo Galilei album leaked, since I'm weak I listened to it.
It's really great. Pretty straight-forward upbeat electro-pop-rock, perfect!
As good as (if not better than) Portal, their 2012 album which was amazing.

Top 3 songs of the album imo : Oh, Oh!, ロンリーボーイ and Jonathan. But overall it's great from start to finish.

Infinite

They're still going I think, just that one of their members left recently.

I think you are thinking of Hotel Mexico

on both counts Lol
they posted on their facebook that a member was leaving but i don't remember them saying band activity will continue afterwards.

Also learned recently that Crypt City, Nakao Kentarou's most recent band has split up too. That dude is seriously cursed, Number Girl, Spiral Chord and now crypt city all bands he was involved with that disbanded before their time. Granted Crypt City is probably the most mediocre band Kentarou been in but still.

finally got Tricot's THE.

it does not disappoint.

Also learned recently that Crypt City, Nakao Kentarou's most recent band has split up too. That dude is seriously cursed, Number Girl, Spiral Chord and now crypt city all bands he was involved with that disbanded before their time. Granted Crypt City is probably the most mediocre band Kentarou been in but still.

Don't forget, Sloth Love Chunks! (i really liked their album :()

the sad thing is, even the ones he produced (Mass of the Fermenting Dregs) disbanded quickly, i swear anything he touches starts great then dies. I love NG and its history, but lol, this guy really is, as you put it, cursed. (many fans rumor that he's also to blame for NG's disband haha)

GhaleonQ

Haha, true! I was hyped for Sunday though.

Anybody like Jesse Ruins? They're pretty great.

Or Sapphire Slows? Just found out her new album is out in November. Here's a new song from it.

it does not disappoint.

I'm not just talking about you, but this whole topic has refreshingly good taste in music (that just happens to come from Japan). I think they're pretty well-known, but a total novice could enter this topic and come away with ideas for 350 dollars of quality music.

I'm still spinning Moskitoo, but Tricot will bump it soon.

Infinite

it does not disappoint.

Don't forget, Sloth Love Chunks! (i really liked their album :()

the sad thing is, even the ones he produced (Mass of the Fermenting Dregs) disbanded quickly, i swear anything he touches starts great then dies. I love NG and its history, but lol, this guy really is, as you put it, cursed. (many fans rumor that he's also to blame for NG's disband haha)

I forgot about Sloth Love Chunks and yes their album was pretty good. I think the best band he's been apart of post number girl was Spiral Chord. A legitimate super group with a lot of potential but short lived.

And he is in fact the reason NG broke up as his departure led to them breaking up haha

Aizo

Banned
I got my winnie hoodie in the mail yesterday morning.
YcO9euQ.jpg

9uD4ZcT.jpg
It came with a concert list. I wish I saw them with Heavenstamp, but I think I'll try to see 'em with Shit Happening on November 2nd. Unless.... is winnie just opening? I hope not.

Infinite

The new Galileo Galilei album leaked, since I'm weak I listened to it.
It's really great. Pretty straight-forward upbeat electro-pop-rock, perfect!
As good as (if not better than) Portal, their 2012 album which was amazing.

Top 3 songs of the album imo : Oh, Oh!, ロンリーボーイ and Jonathan. But overall it's great from start to finish.

I took a bite on this myself. The album starts off good.

ChryZ

tumblr_inline_muc1ngRInp1qc5o9h.jpg

Nakata Yasutaka is featured on the cover of popular music magazine Sound & Recording for the November 2013 issue. The magazine comes out October 15th. Here is the topic of his feature, (very) loosely translated:

Introduction of new elements such a drone and abstract sounds and full of experimental spirit, “CAPS LOCK” is completed!

"CAPS LOCK" is CAPSULE’s long-awaited first release in over a year. CAPSULE fans must surely be confused. That is, now the artist name capsule has been changed to the capitalized CAPSULE, they switched labels to Warner, and they are doing an early release of their newest album on 10/16, showing a dizzying rate of expansion abroad. But the #1 topic of interest is the sound. Whereas before their albums were dance-oriented, displaying 4/4 beats as the main time signature, the newest work has undergone a change. Of course the format of pop-oriented synths are still in use, but a skillfully abstract sound was introduced, giving the work a fully experimental spirit. In addition to working as a producer for Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Perfume, Nakata has shown a big evolution as a musician in this album."

Courtesy of http://fuckyeahystk.tumblr.com/post/63443854131

Brace yourselves! This might get interesting.

ChryZ

Yeah, those previews are great. CAPSULE is once again evolving. Way electro, right up my alley. Reactions should be interesting.

Holy shit, the CAPSULE songs are amazing
It feels a bit sci-fi to me, like an evolution of their earlier image, but the sound is something completely different

I'd even say the new Perfume album with tracks like Party Maker are closer to how Capsule previously sounded than what we've heard from CAPS LOCK
crazy stuff

Top Bottom