• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Aizo

Banned
SiM's last MV was really creepy on a lot of levels. It made me not really want to listen to them anymore.

Kurita

I get why people think that but I'm sure showing how creepy/dangerous the club scene can be was the point. In other music videos that take place in the same setting it always looks like a wonderland, with love at first sight, where people are flirty with everybody... That's how I saw it.
It's not like they're approving of the behaviors we see in the video.
And the song itself was quite good so I wasn't bothered by it.

Previews for 80kidz's new album are on iTunes and it's actually not that bad! I was scared that they would keep doing songs like their terrible 80:XX series.
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/face/id914387237?l=en

Larsa

I wrote some shit about my impressions of the new Shinsei Kamattechan album on my tumblr (shameless promotion, like, subscribe and #engage with the #brand). Might as well post it here.

tumblr_inline_nbnm5bBNLn1rhl7jd.jpg

Okay, after listening through the new Shinsei Kamattechan album around 5 times I feel the need to write down some thoughts.

The number one reason I love this band so god damn much, is that they have always felt really honest and personal like no other band i know. of. You can feel to an alarming degree the mood Noko was in when he was creating and writing the songs. Feelings ranging from crushing depression, raw anger and glimmers of hope. Mix that with Noko’s prodigy-like sense of melody and you get something that truly feels unique.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, some of that charm is missing from this album.To me, this really feel like the band trying to appeal to a larger audience and a whittling down of their unique sound.This feels like the album of a major label artist and not the weird wonderland that was their major debut Tsumanne, For all I know this is completely wrong and this is for them a perfect realization of their vision of what they want their music to be.

The production here is wonderful, surprising, pleasant to listen to and to me missing something; be it passion, rawness or a hint of imperfection.

It’s probably easier to write my track by track impressions:

1.オルゴールの魔法

Great and promising opening. It sounds really different from previous Kamattechan songs except for the now familar pitch-shifted chanting chorus used in a lot of their songs. I really like the bright, ethereal production coupled with Noko’s clean vocals.

2. ズッ友

The music video for this song is pretty fucking great. I don’t think it’s a particularly amazing song, except for the part at around two minutes and the outro. I like the coupling songs on the single, 夏のゆーれい部員スタートっ! and 躁鬱電池メンタル a lot more. Still, that music video + single cover art combination is top notch.

3. ロボットノ夜

This was my favorite of the three singles leading up to the release of the album. This song and the three other songs on the single might make it my favorite Shinsei Kamattechan release of the year. The back half of this song is just unstoppable. The way Noko, time after time, makes these simple and catchy melodies with a great emotional punch is just amazing to me.

4. 新宿駅

I didn’t like this song very much when I first head it a couple of weeks ago, but god damn it’s so catchy. I’ve caught myself singing the chorus an alarming amount of times the last few weeks. Also really like that sigh at around 2:10, gives the song a lot of personality for me.

5 .おかえり

Like in a lot of the songs on the latter half of this album i find myself missing elements from their previous versions, instead of enjoying them on their own merits. This song I don’t feel quite sticks the landing like the demo version did and I can’t quite decide why. I might change my opinion on this one and grow to prefer the studio version. Great song, regardless.

6. 背伸び

One of the (very) few songs I knew nothing about before my first listen of the album. The instrumentation is so beautiful here, especially the violin. Other than that it’s kinda a standard pop-rock ballad, very pretty though. I only have the iTunes version yet, so I haven’t been able to check out the lyrics. Parts of this song really reminds me of Hawaii, from the Front Memory single, which is a big plus. Might be a slow grower

7.彼女は太陽のエンジェル

Now this is probably the most surprising song on the album. What a weird, cool song. It left a huge dumb smile on my face after the first listen and I don’t see that changing soon. The sampling from this song (??.Not sure if that’s the origin, seems to appear in a lot of songs.) is pretty bizarre and cheesy, but in a really fun way. No one can accuse Shinsei Kamattechan for not trying new things at least.

8. ひとりぼっち

I really, really love the version on the secret track of Tsumanne. I don’t feel this hits quite the same notes, unfortunately. The violins are beautiful and the sound is clean, compared to the dirty Tsumanne version. I don’t feel nearly the same passion in Noko’s singing on this version. I really miss the distortion, I guess. It gave it so much character. Great song nonetheless.

9. フロントメモリー feat.川本真琴

I was never a huge fan of the demo version of this song, so when it was announced as the first single for the album I was actually pretty hopeful that the new production and the mastering would make me love it. And it did in pretty much every way, except the vocals. I don’t think Makoto Kawamoto delivers a bad performance or anything, but it’s a little hard to swallow after being used to the familiar voice-pitched Noko. That coupled with ex Morning Musume member Niigaki Riisa starring in the music video, made me a little worried. It seemed kinda desperate.

10. だいじょぶわないじゃん

Now this is pretty good. What a great pull from Noko’s extensive back catalog of weird demos. I really like this version, even though I wished it sounded a little dirtier. I definitely prefer the demo version’s tortured sounding vocals. but I’m just happy to see this appear on this album. Really like the weird ending too.

11. 砲の上のあの娘

I’m probably repeating myself too much here, but it sounds so clean. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing in this case when it comes to the melody and the mixing. Especially the ending with the piano is really beautiful, but once again I miss the violent intensity from the demo version (from around 2 minutes and to the end just hit me like a brick every time.)

12. フロントメモリー (の子vo.ver)

Oh man, how I wish this were what were released as the single and the only version of this song on the album. Probably the best of the now three versions of the song. It lacks a little punch appearing at the end (as a bonus track) with the Kawamoto version only three tracks back.

TL:DR

I like this album a whole lot, I don’t love it (yet).

Kurita

You know what, I gave the album a try because I wanted to get back into this band. I mean I bought some of their albums a couple of years ago! Turns out I really enjoyed it, I think I'm used to their weirdness now.
彼女は太陽のエンジェル might be my favorite song.

Slowdive

Banned
Nice write up. I know what you mean about them aiming for a wider audience, it's certainly missing the harshness of their other stuff, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I still think it's good. 彼女は太陽のエンジェル was surprising to hear, especially because I've heard the vocals sampled before.

Kurita

Bought さよなら、また今度ね (Sayonara, Mata Kondo Ne)'s newest mini-album.
I liked their full album released last year, their music is quite fun, catchy and joyful. Sometimes they remind me of Shinsei Kamattechan's distant cousins (they're way less weird than Shinsei though haha). Wasn't really planning on getting it so I have a to say it's a nice suprise. Give them a try!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd2WHk61zvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_KoyZuL4vs

Kurita

Sweet, The Mirraz released a short version for 世界一キレイなもの from their upcoming album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2nioSLbI5k
I love it.

THE ORAL CIGARETTES finally revealed the name and the release date for their first album. It's called THE BKW SHOW!!! and will be released on November 12th!
Their new artist picture :

Also, yesterday I bought 在日ファンク (Zainichi Funk)'s new album.
It's funk in case you didn't get it. It can sound a bit kitsch but I find them hilarious. It helps that the leader and vocalist Hamaken is charismatic. Some catchy melodies as well as slower songs that will make you want to either shake your butt or gently tap your foot.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yMkpJfrePk

tatsuki

Janken Tournament starting soon. Get hyped!
1bshibata.gif

Who am I kidding... I will be hyped by myself.

Edit

Watanabe Miyuki Janken Winner + Solo Debut

Watanabe Mayu + Miyawaki Sakura Center for 38th single.

Hello everyone! Thanks to Kurita, I've discovered this thread.

I listen to a lot of J-music, but my knowledge isn't very deep, which means I'm getting kind of sick of the stuff I listen to. I'm a fan of Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Sambo Master, and The Pillows. I lean more toward the rock side of things than the pop. I'm also a fan of Tokumaru Shugo, but haven't been able to find any artists like him besides some random indies on soundcloud.

I listened to most of the recently linked youtube songs in this thread but nothing really caught my ear, though I might look into FOLKS a bit more. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Kansoku

I listened to most of the recently linked youtube songs in this thread but nothing really caught my ear, though I might look into FOLKS a bit more. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

oh boy, here we go.
androp - M1 M2 M3
chouchou merged syrups - M1 M2
The Florist - M1 M2
HaKU - M1 M2 M3
Hello Sleepwalkers - M1 M2
indigo La End - M1 M2 M3
KANA-BOON - M1 M2
KEYTALK - M1 M2
LITE - M1 M2
MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS - M1
school food punishment - M1 M2
SHISHAMO - M1 M2
té - M1 (best song ever) M2 M3
tricot - M1 M2 M3
アルカラ (Arukara) - M1 M2 M3
きのこ帝国 (Kinoko Teikoku) - M1 M2 M3
ゲスの極み乙女 (Gesu no Kiwami Otome) - M1 M2 M3
サカナクション (Sakanaction) - M1 M2
ヒトリエ (Hitorie) - M1 M2
凛として時雨 (Ling Toshite Shigure) - M1 M2 M3
宇宙コンビニ (Uchuu Conbini) - M1 M2
東京酒吐座 (Tokyo Shoegazer) - M1 M2 M3

That's the ones I listen too. Now, for the ones that I either used to listen, will be checking out or just don't like but know by name:

RADWIMPS, BIGMAMA, MAMADRIVE, [Alexandros], Sekai no Owari, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, Number Girl, Boris, チリヌルヲワカ (Chirinuruwowaka), 赤い公園(Akai Kouen), THE NOVEMBERS, PENs+, rega, 3nd, the cabs, Lyu:Lyu, syrup16g, sgt., Luminous Orange, Hartfield, PLASTIC GIRL IN THE CLOSET, 101A, Lemon's Chair, Coaltar of the Deepers, Cryuff in the bedroom, SWIM SEET UNDER SHALLOW, mudy on the 昨晩 (mudy on the Sakuban), plenty, andymory, My Dead Girlfriend, How to Count One to Ten, OGRE YOU ASSHOLE, ART-SCHOOL, cinema staff, and many, many more.

oh boy, here we go.
androp - M1 M2 M3
chouchou merged syrups - M1 M2
The Florist - M1 M2
HaKU - M1 M2 M3
Hello Sleepwalkers - M1 M2
indigo La End - M1 M2 M3
KANA-BOON - M1 M2
KEYTALK - M1 M2
LITE - M1 M2
MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS - M1
school food punishment - M1 M2
SHISHAMO - M1 M2
té - M1 (best song ever) M2 M3
tricot - M1 M2 M3
アルカラ (Arukara) - M1 M2 M3
きのこ帝国 (Kinoko Teikoku) - M1 M2 M3
ゲスの極み乙女 (Gesu no Kiwami Otome) - M1 M2 M3
サカナクション (Sakanaction) - M1 M2
ヒトリエ (Hitorie) - M1 M2
凛として時雨 (Ling Toshite Shigure) - M1 M2 M3
宇宙コンビニ (Uchuu Conbini) - M1 M2
東京酒吐座 (Tokyo Shoegazer) - M1 M2 M3

That's the ones I listen too. Now, for the ones that I either used to listen, will be checking out or just don't like but know by name:

RADWIMPS, BIGMAMA, MAMADRIVE, [Alexandros], Sekai no Owari, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, Number Girl, Boris, チリヌルヲワカ (Chirinuruwowaka), 赤い公園(Akai Kouen), THE NOVEMBERS, PENs+, rega, 3nd, the cabs, Lyu:Lyu, syrup16g, sgt., Luminous Orange, Hartfield, PLASTIC GIRL IN THE CLOSET, 101A, Lemon's Chair, Coaltar of the Deepers, Cryuff in the bedroom, SWIM SEET UNDER SHALLOW, mudy on the 昨晩 (mudy on the Sakuban), plenty, andymory, My Dead Girlfriend, How to Count One to Ten, OGRE YOU ASSHOLE, ART-SCHOOL, cinema staff, and many, many more.

Wow, thanks for all the recommendations. I went through the youtube vids and found a couple I liked. I'm going to check out more of The Florist, きのこ帝国, サカナクション, and 宇宙コンビニ.

Kurita

November 5th is shaping up quite nicely, CreepHyp will release a new single.
http://www.creephyp.com/news/#690

So far I'm interested in CreepHyp's new single, Ling Tosite Sigure's new single, Yoru no Honki Dance's new album go!go!vanillas's major debut album, Contemporary na Seikatsu's new album and a flood of circle's new album. All releasing on November 5th. Sweet.

Slowdive

Banned
Hmm, lots of old songs (Ariamaru Tomi, really? It came out before Sanmon Gossip!). Seems kinda low effort. Expecting disappointment, please surprise me Ringo.

Ling Tosite Sigure and Suiyoubi no Campanella the same month (wait, day!?) is pretty sweet though.

Yeah it's kind of disappointing, but I can't not be excited. Kodoku no Akatsuki is getting a new arrangement at least, I wonder if any others are.

Suiyobi no Campanella released a new demo the other week which has two tracks off the new mini, if you didn't already know.

Larsa

Suiyobi no Campanella released a new demo the other week which has two tracks off the new mini, if you didn't already know.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Looking at their release dates is crazy. Their first album/mini-album was just last may and their next one is already their fourth.

Glad you like FOLKS, I absolutely adore them.

Time for some links! I'll try to avoid stuff Kansoku already linked to since we have similar tastes.

I think that's enough for now... :lol

Alright, I've gotten about halfway through them! I'm really digging ストレイテナー and Czecho No Republic. Czecho is some fun music :)

Kurita

Oh yeah forgot to post this. フレデリック (Frederic) released a digest video for their major debut mini-album. The hype is real. I love everything I'm hearing, one of my most anticipated releases of the year. I discovered them a couple of months ago and they're already one of my favorite bands.
http://youtu.be/r0NokO7T_Qc

Kurita

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Only listened to one single they released before this album so most songs will be new to me.
And it'll be available on iTunes overseas so I think I'll buy it.

Kurita

KEYTALK revealed their new artist picture as well as the cover for their upcoming single called MONSTER DANCE. It'll be released on October 22.
Hype!

Bought folca's "first" album (i.e. the first one to get a nationwide release, their previous discs were limited to live venues/indiesmusic.com)
The band is signed to the label created by Arukara and you can definitely hear the latter's influence in certain songs. They manage to create music that's both cool and little bit dark at the same time, I love that. Their music also reminds me of ジラフポット (Giraffepot) sometimes, who are another promising young band. Give them a try!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5fqSCuUZUM

Mesoian

So Shonen Knife is doing an American tour right now. I saw them last night, and while I don't really like their albums (they just seem so placid, there's no energy), they were OFF THE CHAIN live! There was a guy who wanted to form a mosh pit but he was surrounded by 18-52 year old women and it was just not happening. Kudos guy, I liked your energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3F8zW44bmk&list=UUW0Pxle6RGaN-xl6kbYNbJA

The rumour was true.

New Shiina Ringo album announced, out November 5

http://www.kronekodow.com/gaiko/141105album.html

FUCKING YEAH! YEAH!

YEAH!!!!

Hi everyone! So thanks to the great suggestions here I got a couple CDs. One of them is the new Czecho no Republic - Mantle. I'm having a small issue though, in the song Maridabu, I think I can hear crackling in the backround of the loud parts. I listened to it with two sets of headphones. This is actually an AAC file that I ripped to my computer, and I don't have the disc with me to check, but does this song indeed have a slight crackling sound in the background, or did I rip it wrong, or maybe it's supposed to be there, or I dunno? If anyone has the CD and could give it a listen, I would very much appreciate it!

Kurita

Hi everyone! So thanks to the great suggestions here I got a couple CDs. One of them is the new Czecho no Republic - Mantle. I'm having a small issue though, in the song Maridabu, I think I can hear crackling in the backround of the loud parts. I listened to it with two sets of headphones. This is actually an AAC file that I ripped to my computer, and I don't have the disc with me to check, but does this song indeed have a slight crackling sound in the background, or did I rip it wrong, or maybe it's supposed to be there, or I dunno? If anyone has the CD and could give it a listen, I would very much appreciate it!
It's normal (I own the CD).

It's their best album imo.
What did you also get?

I got きのこ帝国 - 渦になる, Czecho no Republic - Mantle, ストレイテナー - Lost World's Anthology, and I also picked up Asian Kung-Fu Generation - ソルファ which I think I had at one point but must have lost.

Top Bottom