• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

XDDX

Great post Kurita. That reminds me check out more of Good Morning America. I've only heard a few of their songs but I've loved them. Have just been listening to Hello Sleepwalkers' album (that released earlier this year) over the past week and it's great. The mix of the male and female vocals just works so well with their sound. Will check out the mini album soon.

Also that Keytalk song is pretty good too.

Kurita

Do you sell drugs to buy all these CDs, Kurita?

Heh, digital music isn't that expensive :p

Also grabbed Sasanomaly (ササノマリイ)'s first mini-album. He's a former vocaloid producer (Nekobolo/ねこぼーろ) and was relatively famous. This time he's singing his own songs and damn, it's amazing. Great voice, great universe. Definitely shows that vocaloid producers have an amazing potential. Yonezu Kenshi as well as wowaka (with his band Hitorie), both former vocaloid producers, are great examples of this. It really bums me out that some great tunes are "ruined" (no offense to vocaloid lovers) by Hatsune Miku, Kagamine Rin...
So yeah, I'm pretty excited to see what Sasanomaly will release in the future because this mini-album is impressive.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPFcDt4y0Dg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2UN-lC4I88
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4rTzmI2b4

Kurita

Straightener's new album, Behind The Scene is a masterpiece.
kcO7j93.jpg
I received it this morning and already listened to it three times.
They've been around for 14 years, 10 years in major, and they are here to stay, I'm sure that in 10 years they'll still be a centerpiece of the Japanese rock scene.
Always managing to reinvent themselves, they keep coming up with unique songs that only them can create. They never did a single bad song and this new album shows once again that they're in a league of their own. I don't even know where to begin, every song is wonderful.
It's been three years since the last full album so needless to say I was hyped as hell. Good job Straightener.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iEzz1n7LaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXFecmmc2PU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeq0T7JhdHA

I can already say that my top 3 albums of the year will be this one, the HIATUS's Keeper of The Flame and Nothing's Carved In Stone's Strangers In Heaven.

Also, I keep track of everything I've listened to in 2014 (well, only albums/mini-albums/EPs) on my Tumblr, so if you want to discover stuff...
http://lekurita.tumblr.com/tagged/2014-in-music

Aizo

Banned
What are the names of the underlined members?

Thanks

Your underline of the top one is in the way of the bottom right one you underlined... I googled her last name, though, and found her.
Top is Kizaki Yuria (木崎ゆりあ)
Left is Ōwada Nana(大和田南那)
Right is Mukaichi Mion (向井地美音)

I think I read their names right, but I know nothing of AKB—I likely can't help you with any other questions about them.

Kurita

That's a super interesting picture (though underage idols in swimsuits is creepy)

January 14th is looking good :
The Cheserasera are releasing their first full album.
Nothing's Carved In Stone have a new single and live DVD coming.
Kyuso Nekokami will release a new mini-album.
Great way to start the year.

Kankaku Piero (感覚ピエロ) released a new PV, imo they're one of the next popular bands, I'm waiting for their big break. I'm sure a major label will be interested in signing them in the next couple of years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ge5fqsZ0Ls
There's even a reference to Frederic's オドループ PV (www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCp2iXA1uLE) at 3:31 :lol
I'm pretty sad that their CDs aren't available outside of their website (well you can get them at their live shows). Can't buy them on HMV/Cdjapan/Tower Records, so it's pretty much impossible to get them if you're not in Japan.

Infinite

Well I haven't posted in this thread for a minute. I'm still setting on the essential albums list we compiled but I'm actually still waiting on some people's submissions. They got pms from me. Also I'm still down for doing a rewrite of the OP to better reflect the content of our thread.

Anyway what's everyone's favorite releases of September and October so far?

Kurita

September and October were some amazing months for J-Music.
Bolded are the ones I recommend the most (doesn't mean the other releases aren't awesome)

Singles
FOLKS - Hometown Story
indigo la End - 瞳に映らない
BLUE ENCOUNT - TIMELESS ROOKIE
ストレイテナー - 冬の太陽/The World Record (no really need to listen to it though since the album released this week has both songs)
空想委員会 - 純愛、故に性悪説
KEYTALK - MONSTER DANCE

Albums/Mini-albums
フジファブリック - LIFE
SiM - i AGAINST i
TAMTAM - Strange Tomorrow
Suck a Stew Dry - ジブンセンキ
ircle - i しかないとか
神聖かまってちゃん - 英雄syndrome
QOOLAND - 街と大都市
くるり - THE PIER
アルカラ - CAO
uchuu, - HAPPY
空創ワルツ - それより僕と踊りませんか?
tofubeats - First Album
Galileo Galilei - See More Glass
SAKANAMON - ARIKANASHIKA
folca - Glamorous
80kidz - FACE
新世界リチウム - 新世界リチウム
赤い公園 - 猛烈リトミック
フレデリック - oddloop
ユビキタス - 奇跡に触れる2つの約束
シナリオアート - Tokyomelancholy -トウキョウメランコリー-
在日ファンク - 笑うな
さよなら、また今度ね - 夕方ヘアースタイル
ストレイテナー - Behind The Scene
Hello Sleepwalkers - Liquid Soul and Solid Blood
The Mirraz - OPPORTUNITY
LEGO BIG MORL - NEW WORLD
グッドモーニングアメリカ - inトーキョーシティ
ササノマリイ - シノニムとヒポクリト
アザヤイタ - 人は愛を唄う
嵐 - THE DIGITALIAN
Bentham - Public EP
THE NOVEMBERS - Rhapsody in beauty

Infinite

I have A LOT of stuff to catch up on, Kurita. Imma parse through your list when I get more free time to.

I really love Einsteins's new EP, OTSMN. It's available for free streaming on soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/einsteins/sets/otsmn-ep

Been digging Sankaiten to Hito Hineri LP, メルヘン巻.

Old Lacy Bed's LP, Little Girl is also something I been listening to.

Slowdive

Banned
Here's a snippet of a new Capsule song at a recent Nakata DJ show. Not sounding too good. Their album has been delayed too, it was meant to be out this year but now it's coming "soon."

Peru

Watching the Perfume Gurungurun tour broadcast. The Ijiwaru na Hello routine is GLORIOUS. They should do it for the world tour.

Kurita

Kinda wish it wasn't Shiina Ringo on the cover (not a fan, don't hurt me), but hey I'll still buy it, I have almost every issue released in 2014. :p

In other news...
Gesu no Kiwami Otome's new album got an early release on iTunes...
Let's do thiiiiiiiiiis!

Kurita

Soooo, I think Gesu no Kiwami Otome just released one of the best albums of the year, I'm loving everything on their first full album.
Bye-bye 999 sounds like a mix between Gesu and indigo la End, perfect way to end the album.
The two a-sides from the previous single are still amazing, As for the others songs I don't know where to begin. It's everything I expected and more.

Kurita

Watched the WOWOW version of ONE OK ROCK's live at Yokohama Stadium with my gf, damn, incredible show. Haven't been listening to them a lot lately but that was a wake up call. Their energy, the crowd, the fireworks/flames... Can't wait for the full version on DVD, can't wait for the new album and more importantly, can't wait for their Paris show on December 2.

GOOD ON THE REEL just announced a new mini-album to be released in December. Love these guys, their emotional rock is so good. Very productive band, they've released 5 mini-albums as well as full album between 2011 and 2014.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9TeUyCgg1o
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-jPfVDLOkE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb1IpTRjuyM

Top Bottom