• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Mmm pretty cool. I hope this is following her trend of releasing poppy songs and then having her trademark raw voice featured more prominently on her coming album.

The album is... pretty different from her previous stuff. It's fucking fantastic, but be ready for a bit of a shock if you're expecting "wailing over acoustic guitar" stuff because that's basically nonexistant.

She's described her music as "Disneyland in hell" in the past and I think this is the closest she's come to that description. It's also some of the most range she's shown with vocals; she still sounds completely nuts, but she covers a lot more ground stylistically.

...probably my album of the year. I know it's a little early to call it since it just came out today, but I've got a feeling...

also despite the huge range of styles she covers, she still apparently wrote the entire album. god, I love her.

Larsa

The new Oomori Seiko is so, so good. I think this is the most positive first impression I've had with an album this year.

I was ready to be all grumpy about the lack of acoustic guitar and raw, emotional singing, but I don't care if this is what we get in return.

The production and the instrumentation here is so varied and unique. A lot of moments on this album made me think of Karuki Samen Kuri no Hana, which is pretty much the highest praise I can give.

Kurita

ONE OK ROCK's show in Paris tonight was amazing. Short but intense, on par with last year's show. Bigger venue, it was even more exciting. Can't feel my neck anymore, my body has been destroyed but it feels good.
Managed to catch Toru's guitar pick! Made my night.
Dude looked straight at me and threw a perfect pitch. Caught it instantly.
iyXJX4LPH9PpO.JPG

Kurita

Hey guys, the AOTY 2014 thread is now running and I would love it if we got some contribution from this thread :)
Will do, 2014 has been such a fantastic year for J-Music.

Quick thoughts on the albums I bought today.

CreepHyp - Hitotsu ni Narenai nara, Semete Futatsu Dake de Iyou (クリープハイプ - 一つになれないなら、せめて二つだけでいよう)
Yet another amazing album by them. They really can't do a shitty song, evey piece of music they produce has some catchiness, some emotion, some sincerity to it.
When I discovered this band a few years ago I hated the singer's voice but it's one of the most touching I can find in Japan. Weirdly childish and bizarre at times, so good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLJs3II1EZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPkFQGl2514

Age Factory - Te wo furu (手を振る)
Yet another mindblowing and young rock band from Japan. I'm totally charmed by their sound. They're like 21-22 years old and yet their sound is really mature.
Melancholic, raw, passionate... So fucking good. Can't recommend these guys enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYF2grnlIxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aABZFYZmDAU

Brian the Sun - Brian the Sun
I don't really know how to describe their music. It's some really great pop-rock but there's something about them that makes me feel so good when I listen to them.
Like, they're dropping a warm blanket on my body while performing. They're one of the most solid acts right now, it's always a pleasure to listen to them. I'm becoming a huge fan of these guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGoHxln6C0

The Fin. - Days With Uncertainty
I loved their EP released earlier this year (well, re-released) and this full album proves that they are master at synth-pop-rock.
It's not boring, I always feel relaxed yet pumped up when listening to them. I feel like it's a perfect album for this season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EtEFFg3iwo

Arukankaku - Vital Respect (或る感覚 - バイタルリスペクト)
I was also pretty excited to listen to this album. I quite liked their album released last year even though I haven't listened to it that much.
Kinda like Age Factory, they also rock pretty hard and are into emotional/sad/intense songs. I love how the guitars sound in their songs.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W44i6drZEYM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8XR3q5yI0k

Bakudan Johnny - Minna no Shiawase (爆弾ジョニー - みんなの幸せ)
Way more upbeat than Arukankaku :lol These guys are mostly inspired by bands such as THE BLUE HEARTS.
This album felt way more dynamic than their major debut album released earlier this year. I felt like this album was a huge step up.
14 songs to go wild and sing along. If you like old fashioned punk-rock it's heavenly. Good way to warm your body during winter.
http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Bakudan-Johnny---Tada-Hitori/f8bf6d5c8fb8352fdc5753279b9abd3a
http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Bakuda...ty-People%29/a62cfebe25eb18fadfdc908a9d3fcab5

Utada tribute album tracklist -
1. SAKURA Drops / Inoue Yosui
2. Letters / Shiina Ringo
3. Automatic / Okamura Yasuyuki
4. Movin' on without you / Ayumi Hamasaki
5. Flavor Of Life / Hanaregumi
6. FINAL DISTANCE / AI
7. Be My Last / Yoshii Kazuya
8. Hikari / LOVE PSYCHEDELICO
9. For You / Kato Miliyah
10. Stay Gold / Ohashi Trio
11. time will tell / tofubeats with BONNIE PINK
12. Keep Tryin' / KIRINJI
13. Sanctuary / Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis feat. Peabo Bryson

Kurita

6. FINAL DISTANCE / AI
Couldn't care less about Utada but I love Yoshii Kazuya so I'll check his cover.

tatsuki

I think the biggest one was Milky getting caught of the second time, and now she even has her own single coming out.
I kind of feel like winning janken and getting a single is her punishment. The song she was given isn't very good. Her stage performance for the song also isn't anything special. Milky is fine with her group, solo Milky just isn't for her. I don't think she carries herself well enough for it.

Hopefully there are no nasty surprises like last year when Yuko announced her graduation. KojiHaru is the one that people are always nervous about now.
Hopefully not. I'm going to assume nothing like that will happen though. It's not a very good event for an announcement like that when everyone is having fun and celebrating.

141129 AKB48 SHOW
308mayu.gif

141201 NOGIBINGO!3
Sayuri.... Worst cook ever.

JEKKI

6. FINAL DISTANCE / AI
HOLY SHIT!!

For You is my favorite Utada song...

Miliyah is my favorite singer,

the matching couldn't be any more perfect!!!!

Miliyah already covered Automatic which was ok, but got dang her on For You is gonna blow my mind X_X

tatsuki

it's alright, you can rest easy with the confidence that Mayuyu's still got the best butt in the biz.

I imagine that episode will come at some point. The first episode they ranked breasts. That's assuming the show doesn't get canceled before than though. It's a pretty bland new show.

ONE OK ROCK's show in Paris tonight was amazing. Short but intense, on par with last year's show. Bigger venue, it was even more exciting. Can't feel my neck anymore, my body has been destroyed but it feels good.
Managed to catch Toru's guitar pick! Made my night.
Dude looked straight at me and threw a perfect pitch. Caught it instantly.

This is awesome.

Anyone from the UK ordered from Amazon JP before?. I need to know if you'd still get charged for tax if you go through them instead of CDJapan (or if there's a difference at all).

LayLa

This is awesome.

Anyone from the UK ordered from Amazon JP before?. I need to know if you'd still get charged for tax if you go through them instead of CDJapan (or if there's a difference at all).

in my experience you don't get charged tax with Amazon.jp but the shipping method they use means that it's almost guaranteed to get stopped at customs. With CDJapan you can use SAL which is slower but has a better chance of getting through, but there is still a risk.

in my experience you don't get charged tax with Amazon.jp but the shipping method they use means that it's almost guaranteed to get stopped at customs. With CDJapan you can use SAL which is slower but has a better chance of getting through, but there is still a risk.

Thanks. I normally use CDJ with SAL which amazingly, still manages to get to me on release day but I end up paying around £18 (if not more?) on custom tax (and this is just a concert DVD). I thought I'd ask around to see how Amazon does their stuff.

Kurita

Discovered a band called THE GAME SHOP, a mix between, rock, electro, dubstep, chiptune... It's all over the place and I think it like it... ? :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCdGVDam4O0

WANIMA are a pretty great punk-rock band, I'm usually not a fan of this genre but for some reason I love them. I like the way the vocalist sings, I think it's different from the usual punk-rock style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auofz0gr7C8

Also been listening to phatmans after school new album.
I think the quickest way to describe them is BUMP OF CHICKEN-junior, the vocalists' voices are exactly the same, and their sound is quite similar. And both bands belong to the same label. I think phatmans after school's songs might be more dynamic and shorter than BUMP's though.
Buuuut, I'm a huge BUMP OF CHICKEN fan so I can't say I'm bothered by the fact they're almost identical bands. I'm a sucker for this kind of music.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwzWCjro1I4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRec2kUusrQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62HXFMnoeg

Moumoon posted their December concert a little while ago.

http://youtu.be/xWogbI1MBx8

Timestamps in the description for navigation!

HOLY SHIT!!

For You is my favorite Utada song...

Miliyah is my favorite singer,

the matching couldn't be any more perfect!!!!

Miliyah already covered Automatic which was ok, but got dang her on For You is gonna blow my mind X_X

This. So much. I'm so pumped for that CD. "For You" is pretty good, but Miliyah is probably my favorite artist right now.

new プラニメ song/video「UNIT」

I still don't know what the official romanization is. Pla2me? Puranime? Planime? I'm not even sure they know.

(Saki from BiS, Mari [Izukoneko])

Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised with what we've seen of ex-BiS projects. Except Lui's band.

It's Pla2me.

I've literally seen the group and their management spell it multiple ways, but store listings file it under Pla2me if they don't use the kana so I'd go with that too.

survivor

Banned
Also been listening to phatmans after school new album.

I think the quickest way to describe them is BUMP OF CHICKEN-junior, the vocalists' voices are exactly the same, and their sound is quite similar. And both bands belong to the same label. I think phatmans after school's songs might be more dynamic and shorter than BUMP's though.
Buuuut, I'm a huge BUMP OF CHICKEN fan so I can't say I'm bothered by the fact they're almost identical bands. I'm a sucker for this kind of music.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwzWCjro1I4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRec2kUusrQ
www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62HXFMnoeg

Gave them a listen today, and yeah they are pretty solid. Would need to keep an eye for more releases.

Sasshi voted as having the best legs by other members... I guess I've just never really paid much attention to her legs.

Receiving her award.

I thought that they got the breast one right (Jonishi Kei is hard to beat), but this one was odd. Also I was surprised by several members not making the legs list. Like Kishino Rika, Furukawa Airi, and Mayuyu.

I imagine that episode will come at some point. The first episode they ranked breasts. That's assuming the show doesn't get canceled before than though. It's a pretty bland new show.

They're going back to Tani Marika's dirty ass room this week. So that should be a lot of fun. :p

And on sad but expected news, Takamina announced that she's going to graduate on AKB's 10th anniversary. Which will be next December 8th. She announced that Yokoyama Yui will be her successor. Which was sort of a surprise since the speculation was that it was going to be either Yamamoto Sayaka or Sasshi.

Peru

I thought that they got the breast one right (Jonishi Kei is hard to beat), but this one was odd

Nah man Sasshi's straight famous for that.

. A She announced that Yokoyama Yui will be her successor. Which was sort of a surprise since the speculation was that it was going to be either Yamamoto Sayaka or Sasshi.

Sasshi was never a real alternative. She's got theater manager duties in a different place.

Dempagumi.inc announced a new album- 「WWDD」(how original), coming out 2/18. coming out in the standard array of a billion different versions, including a 12" vinyl (!), and deluxe 2cd x blu-ray fan club version (for the low low price of 10,000 yen).

More info here(Japanese)

It's probably just going to be 80% made up of the singles from the last year or so, but that's fine by me.

Rainy

Banned
Anyone listened to the Hikki cover album yet?

Listening right now, some of the songs are really hit or miss. Ayu's is my favorite so far.

Kurita

Oh my god yes
KANA-BOON announced a new full album. TIME will be out on January 21st! The limited edition will come with a DVD featuring 14 songs from their huge live show held outdoors last August, as well as a documentary! AOTY 2015 confirmed.

Promo picture

Covers
CD Tracklist
01. タイムアウト
02. LOL
03. ターミナル
04. 結晶星
05. クラクション
06. フルドライブ
07. 生きてゆく
08. スコールスコール
09. 愛にまみれて
10. シルエット
11. スノーグローブ
12. パレード

DVD Tracklist
01. A.oh!!
02. ワールド
03. クローン
04. ロックンロールスター
05. 夜をこえて
06. 結晶星
07. さくらのうた
08. 生きてゆく
09. レピドシレン
10. 盛者必衰の理、お断り
11. フルドライブ
12. ないものねだり
13. シルエット
14. 眠れぬ森の君のため

After waiting a week i finally have :

Linked Horizon-Luxendarc Kikou
Persona Music Fes 2013 -In Nippon Budokan
androp-One-Man Live 2014 At Yoyogi National Stadium Yoyogi 1st Gymnasium
L'arc-En-Ciel Live 2014 At Kokuritsu Kyougijou (regular)
RADWIMPS LIVE&DOCUMENT 2014 (regular)

all blu-rays.

Kurita

After waiting a week i finally have :

Linked Horizon-Luxendarc Kikou
Persona Music Fes 2013 -In Nippon Budokan
androp-One-Man Live 2014 At Yoyogi National Stadium Yoyogi 1st Gymnasium
L'arc-En-Ciel Live 2014 At Kokuritsu Kyougijou (regular)
RADWIMPS LIVE&DOCUMENT 2014 (regular)

all blu-rays.

Hnnnngh
Ordered RADWIMPS's DVD for Christmas (as well as other live DVDs and a few CDs)... Really need that androp one.

tatsuki

And on sad but expected news, Takamina announced that she's going to graduate on AKB's 10th anniversary. Which will be next December 8th. She announced that Yokoyama Yui will be her successor. Which was sort of a surprise since the speculation was that it was going to be either Yamamoto Sayaka or Sasshi.

Yea, I was watching the LOD. Sad news indeed. I honestly didn't expect it to be this soon though. I know it's a year from now but still... I figured 2 years not 1. Graduating on the 10th anniversary is a pretty good sending off date though. Also, Yui seems well liked by the other members so it should be a good transition when the time comes.

I like sasshi but I never considered her at all. I feel like shes stuck babysitting HKT till she graduates.

In other news, Shiraishi Mai PB released the other day which seems to have sold really well. Some of those pictures... O_O

141207 Ikoma and Manatsu cosplaying.
Doko 1
Doko 2
Doko 3

Rena approves.

ys45

Hey guys I'm looking for some good Japanese rock/metal
I recently listened to some songs from Nano and Yuyoyuppe and really like what I heard .

Any recommendation ?

I recently listened to some songs from Nano and Yuyoyuppe and really like what I heard .

Any recommendation ?

if you like Yuyoyuppe you might try BiS. frankly they were only "idol" in name. They're mostly rock/punk/metal

Idol is Dead
Idol
BISimulation

says the guy with an Uika avatar

凛として時雨 (Ling Toshite Shigure)

Another good choice

Kansoku

Any recommendation ?

凛として時雨 (Ling Toshite Shigure)

Kurita

Any recommendation ?

You want some gloomy/somewhat dark rock?

或る感覚 (Aru Kankaku)
9mm Parabellum Bullet
凛として時雨 (Ling Tosite Sigure)
ircle
MY FIRST STORY (recommending them mostly because they did a song with Nano)
ゆれる (Yureru)
LOSTAGE
それでも世界が続くなら (Soredemo Sekai ga Tsuzukunara)
Age Factory
Lyu:Lyu
cinema staff
THE STARBEMS
HaKU
THE BACK HORN

Top Bottom