• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Speaking of the cabs, I remember being really surprised when I realized it was the bassist/vocalist from one of my favorite bands, KEYTALK :lol
Kinda sad that the cabs broke up heh Oh well, the drummer recently joined plenty so it's cool.

Kansoku

Speaking of the cabs, I remember being really surprised when I realized it was the bassist/vocalist from one of my favorite bands, KEYTALK :lol
Kinda sad that the cabs broke up heh Oh well, the drummer recently joined plenty so it's cool.

Holy shit. I listened to the cabs for the first time a couple of days ago and was amused on how the normal vocals were really similar to KEYTALK's. It all makes sense now.

actually it's really sad they broke up, since I thought they were pretty much one of a kind and we only saw one LP out of them. They are surely missed. I still haven't checked out KEYTALK but I'll get on that. Glad that the drummer is still around, the guy is a beast.

Kurita

Recently discovered the band 或るミイ (Aru mii, though they use Almie on their website heh). Don't really know how to define their sound, maybe shoegaze, pop, rock... Their songs have a nice dreamy and cheerful touch to them. Actually their songs kinda remind me of the chef cooks me, which is a good thing since I love them.
Really digging their latest mini-album released two months ago, you can find it on iTunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMpsJWfWIPo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU24P3SUi0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5OJSQvzl0E

Oh yeah, last week I received KANA-BOON's first live DVD. Perfect show, 20 songs, great interaction with the crowd, definitely shows that KANA-BOON are one of the best acts in the business right now. They totally deserve to be this popular. Even converted the DVD to MP3 files so I can listen to the live versions whenever I want. I love that Maguro isn't afraid of singing with a more "agressive" voice during live shows, it gives even more emotion and energy to their songs. I hope they'll release a DVD for their Budokan show...

tatsuki

141210 AKB Shirabe

The residence of Tani Marika.... idol life.

krsrhj.gif

I left out her bathroom.

I could see a few more members living just like this though. The crazy schedules and not wanting to bother with cleaning anything. There is also the possibility this was staged to look much worse for tv though. Who knows.

Peru

I'm crying. tricot are putting out a new full album in March. And a new single.

Single "E" out February 18th.

2nd full album March 2015.

Peru

Break was solid, not their greatest song, but the b-side, which was pretty math-less, was frikkin awesome. In general I'm all for math though.

Shiina

Oh my god yes
KANA-BOON announced a new full album. TIME will be out on January 21st! The limited edition will come with a DVD featuring 14 songs from their huge live show held outdoors last August, as well as a documentary! AOTY 2015 confirmed.

Awesome. They're actually one of my favorite Japanese male-vocals bands right now. And phatmans after school stuff seemed pretty cool, too. Need to investigate further.
Sennou is next, though.

Kansoku

holy goddamn at that news. Waiting anxiously. But please crank up the math.

Yes, please. I was listening to 爆裂トリコさん and the songs アナメイン and 爆裂パニエさん are so damn good, but so different from their last stuff (especially the Break single) , that I really want them to go back to that style.

Tho, I'm a little afraid that the reason for komaki leaving (differences in what they wanted to create and play musically) is that he wanted to keep with this style and the girls wanted to do this style we have now.

Kurita

Awesome. They're actually one of my favorite Japanese male-vocals bands right now. And phatmans after school stuff seemed pretty cool, too. Need to investigate further.
Sennou is next, though.
Glad to hear that. They're basically my favorite band in Japan right now, period.

New Czecho No Republic single coming, February 4th! Takahashi Mai (the only girl of the band) will be the one singing this time. The title track For You will be a love song apparently.
The B-Side will be a cover of Anarchy In The UK, Czecho No Republic style!
Promo pics

Peru

Yes, please. I was listening to 爆裂トリコさん and the songs アナメイン and 爆裂パニエさん are so damn good, but so different from their last stuff (especially the Break single) , that I really want them to go back to that style.

Tho, I'm a little afraid that the reason for komaki leaving (differences in what they wanted to create and play musically) is that he wanted to keep with this style and the girls wanted to do this style we have now.

I very much doubt it looking at their recent live shows. And again the b-side to Break is not really similar to Break and pretty stupendous.

THE reprents the peak of their powers though and I pray for a repeat.

it would be nice to hear them carry on with their signature sound, and I'm hoping for that. The next single will basically confirm or deny any speculation we have about what they want to do. It's not too far out from now so yeah. I think the next album will be called K O M A K I P L Z.

about Komaki, it can't be overlooked as merely a coincidence that immediately upon his exit they put out Break but he did play for that one chick's song which wasn't even rock. Possibly he was just an interesting hire for that one. I just checked his Twitter out. I don't know if any of you guys can make sense of what's going on there. New band? It's nu-metal lol.

https://twitter.com/komaki1986

Kurita

it would be nice to hear them carry on with their signature sound, and I'm hoping for that. The next single will basically confirm or deny any speculation we have about what they want to do. It's not too far out from now so yeah. I think the next album will be called K O M A K I P L Z.

about Komaki, it can't be overlooked as merely a coincidence that immediately upon his exit they put out Break but he did play for that one chick's song which wasn't even rock. Possibly he was just an interesting hire for that one. I just checked his Twitter out. I don't know if any of you guys can make sense of what's going on there. New band? It's nu-metal lol.

Oh yeah he joined the band wrong city a few months ago. They're an up-and-coming screamo/punk/whatever band kinda like Coldrain. Can't say I'm a fan though, but to be fair I'm not really into this kind of music.

I don't know if any of you guys can make sense of what's going on there. New band? It's nu-metal lol.

Nothing exciting, mostly just promoting the split cd his new band is on as well as their live dates.

Also he apparently gives drum lessons?

I checked out his new band, I don't like it at all really.

also, reading his timeline after spending so much time trying to read tweets by idols is refreshing. You know what's a terrible way to try to learn Japanese? translate tweets written by teenage girls.

I'm the same way actually. I can see the appeal but they don't do much for me personally. I usually prefer female vocals and/or things that are heavier or weirder

Kansoku

geez, wrong city kinda sucks.

But yeah, lots of anticipation for the single. At least I hope that, in the worse case, they keep with the T H E sound, even though I like their old stuff better. タラッタラッタ, おちゃんせんすぅす and POOL are amazing (Not counting old songs like おもてなし and 99.974ºC), and I want more of that. But the whole album felt very samey, sadly. If they vary up stuff, it will be really good.

Peru

Less 'samey' and more a true cohesive work, I'd say, but layered like hell. The amount of melodic ideas, gorgeous details and little twists in every track was what made it such an unbelievable debut album - that fully formed in the 'first' go - you could dive into that album for days on end and still feel surprised by some turn of phrase. Album cuts actually better than most of the singles.

They obviously will vary up their sound, but secretly my dream is really more of the same.

Kurita

I'm the same way actually. I can see the appeal but they don't do much for me personally. I usually prefer female vocals and/or things that are heavier or weirder

Yeah, basically.

I see, I see. I kinda feel the same way about certain artists/bands actually. For instance I'm sure I would love tricot if it had a male vocalist. I also really really like Kinoko Teikoku but I'm convinced I would like them even more if it had a guy singing.
Now that I think about it, I only listen to a handful of bands with female vocals : Kinoko Teikoku, SHISHAMO, Scenarioart (male and female vocals), Chatmonchy, Czecho No Republic (mostly male vocals), Tokyo Karankoron (male and female vocals), Akai Koen, Negoto, Perfume, Charisma.com, Ling Tosite SIgure (male and female), Hello Sleepwalkers (male and female) and that's pretty much it.

Garasu Goshi no Bouso, chouchou merged syrups., aquarifa, uchuu conbini are also great.

when it comes to Japanese rock, I pretty much have to have a female singing for some reason. I don't really know what it is. For me the best example of Japanese rock with male singing vocals that I absolutely LOVE these days is PENS+. Still, their instrumentation is so sophisticated for the style that I don't really group them with other big bands of the J-rock scene. malegoat is another example but they scream a lot. I listen to a lot of male-fronted Japanese music but it's usually of the heavier variety.

Kansoku

I'm pretty balanced. From the ones I listen to: 10 male, 9 female and 4 both.
Though I'm pretty picky about vocals, and it can make or break a music for me, tho I find that most of the time I don't have problems with female vocals and the instrumental that don't catch me, while the opposite happens frequently with male vocals.

Also, chouchou merged syrups. is the GOAT.

To be fair, I'm the same way across most music. when it comes to clean singing, I prefer female vocals like 90% of the time.

yeah, this. And the funny thing about that is, music that with straight clean vocals probably comprises 10% of my overall listening. The other 90 is all male harsh, hardcore, or rap.

also yeahhh chouchou. They finally put clepsydra on Bandcamp.

btw this thread is crackin' today. Love it.

Kurita

I'm pretty balanced. From the ones I listen to: 10 male, 9 female and 4 both.
Though I'm pretty picky about vocals, and it can make or break a music for me, tho I find that most of the time I don't have problems with female vocals and the instrumental that don't catch me, while the opposite happens frequently with male vocals.

Also, chouchou merged syrups. is the GOAT.
Oh yeah vocals are really important to me, too. If the voice doesn't do anything for me I'll just pass. I'm generally less impressed by female vocalists, they're kinda boring to me, I just feel less emotions I guess, so that's why I tend to overlook these bands even if the instrumental side is good.

Kurita

Garasu Goshi no Bouso, chouchou merged syrups., aquarifa, uchuu conbini are also great.

when it comes to Japanese rock, I pretty much have to have a female singing for some reason. I don't really know what it is. For me the best example of Japanese rock with male singing vocals that I absolutely LOVE these days is PENS+. Still, their instrumentation is so sophisticated for the style that I don't really group them with other big bands of the J-rock scene. malegoat is another example but they scream a lot. I listen to a lot of male-fronted Japanese music but it's usually of the heavier variety.
You might like フィッシュライフ
http://youtu.be/-dT_fzBB1_g
http://youtu.be/1V5TkQSvhAg
20 years old, I'm pretty sure they'll become a fairly popular band in a couple of years.

You might like フィッシュライフ
http://youtu.be/-dT_fzBB1_g
http://youtu.be/1V5TkQSvhAg
20 years old, I'm pretty sure they'll become a fairly popular band in a couple of years.

hey I can get down with these guys. I think you mentioned them earlier in the thread. Really strong guitar playing which is a plus. Thanks for the re-rec. Not sure why but the PV made me think of the new rega video. Track is all about that funk.

Kurita

LAMP IN TERREN released their first major PV, it's so beautiful, damn.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1239V3xkY4
Really looking forward to their major debut mini-album next month. They won the same audition as THE ORAL CIGARETTES and フレデリック so A-Sketch definitely got another great young band in their roster.

Anyone else enjoying the new Dir En Grey album?

Also FOLKS new album coming out Feb 25th! its called Snowtown( not sure if this was mentioned or not)

In other news, Shiraishi Mai PB released the other day which seems to have sold really well. Some of those pictures... O_O

I think they have to be very careful with Nogi. They're the one group that continues to trend up, so morphing them into another 48 group may not be the best of ideas. They're still more of a classic idol group, which is what I think is helping their popularity. I just kinda think that it may be a better idea to keep them separated and continue to let them grow without going down any of the usual AKB paths.

This is probably just reads trolling, but MetalSucks readers named the Baby Metal album the AotY

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/12/0...ls-self-titled-release-best-metal-album-2014/

I'm saying that it's probably trolling since their very existence seems to anger some hardcore metal fans that think that they're taking away attention from "legitimate" bands. But it's still cool to see them gaining a decent amount of success in the west.

This is probably just reads trolling, but MetalSucks readers named the Baby Metal album the AotY

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/12/0...ls-self-titled-release-best-metal-album-2014/

I'm saying that it's probably trolling since their very existence seems to anger some hardcore metal fans that think that they're taking away attention from "legitimate" bands. But it's still cool to see them gaining a decent amount of success in the west.

MetalSucks' MO is to troll metalheads, so I'm sure there's a healthy amount of that going on. But their editors are way into Babymetal, so that's cool.

I'm more surprised by people who aren't into j-music, or idol music that have picked up on Babymetal. For me it was a no-brainer.

Scanning natalie, seems like it's been a pretty slow week for news...

edit: I guess the details about the new Ebichu album are out, including creepy variant cover.

Regular:

Limited:

Tracklist:

01, Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku no Nichijo(Prologue):Nijo no Jijo
02, Kinpachi Dance Music
03, Mikakunin Chuugakusei X
04, Teburadesuki ~Seishun Liberty~
05, King of Gakugeikai no Theme ~Nu Skool Teenage Riot~
06, Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku no Nichijo(Interlude):Hayaben Rap
07, Butterfly Effect
08, Chichinpui
09, U.B.U Kinpachi ver
10, Fuyukoi
11, PLAYBACK
12, Shiawase no Harigami wa Itsumo Senaka ni
13, Haitateki
14, Tairyou Ebisubushi
15, Kaimono Shiyouto Machida e
16, Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku no Nichijo(Epilogue):Hotaru no Hikari(Demo)

lots of new tracks. #2 is a Hyadain joint. #10 is Kenta Matsukuma (BiS' songwriter)

Kurita

Ozaki from CreepHyp (クリープハイプ) also wrote a song for that album, interesting...

Top Bottom