• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Has anyone else heard the rumors about Namie Amuro possibly doing a U.S. tour in the summer of 2015?
Dear God I hope it's true. I'm getting freaked out just thinking about the rumor.

Has anyone else heard the rumors about Namie Amuro possibly doing a U.S. tour in the summer of 2015?
Dear God I hope it's true. I'm getting freaked out just thinking about the rumor.

Yep, if it's true (which I really doubt it is), I hope she doesn't leave out Europe. At the moment I'm just looking forward to Live Style 14

Yep, if it's true (which I really doubt it is), I hope she doesn't leave out Europe. At the moment I'm just looking forward to Live Style 14

Yeah, I'll try not to get my hopes up
too late!
. I have the deluxe blu-ray preordered. From the pics I've seen, it looks like she used a lot more stage props/decorations this tour which I'm excited to see lol

Yeah, I'll try not to get my hopes up
too late!
. I have the deluxe blu-ray preordered. From the pics I've seen, it looks like she used a lot more stage props/decorations this tour which I'm excited to see lol

It must look beautiful in blu-ray, I still haven't preordered mine but I'll be getting the deluxe DVD. Importing them are so expensive (I get customs taxed too) but it's worth it once a year for Namie!

It must look beautiful in blu-ray, I still haven't preordered mine but I'll be getting the deluxe DVD. Importing them are so expensive (I get customs taxed too) but it's worth it once a year for Namie!

You have time! I'm sure the deluxe will stick around for a bit too since its a little more expensive. I really want to see all the extra live performances, like white light. I love seeing her perform that.
You're so right! It's like $70 before shipping to get the blu-ray in the US, I've been lucky and haven't been hit with customs taxes. I can't imagine how expensive it would be all in the end. I do try to save up all my CDJ points for Namie's tours and it helps knock off a little bit lol

yes, and there's a chance she will only play in L.A/ NYC , no where else.

That's fine for me, I'll fly wherever I need to haha. Being in Chicago, it's not too hard getting direct flights to those cities.
If the rumor ends up being true, hopefully she will end up adding Europe to her tour stops next time.

Kurita

So, what are everybody's favorite releases of 2014?
Here's my top 30, it's been an amazing year! Lots of newcomers releasing some impressive stuff.

1. the HIATUS - Keeper Of The Flame

2. Nothing's Carved In Stone - Strangers In Heaven

3. Straightener - Behind The Scene (ストレイテナー - Behind The Scene)

4. KEYTALK - OVERTONE

5. androp - period

6. The Mirraz - OPPORTUNITY

7. Gesu no Kiwami Otome. - Miryoku ga sugoi yo (ゲスの極み乙女。- 魅力がすごいよ)

8. Hitorie - WONDER and WONDER (ヒトリエ - WONDER and WONDER)

9. THE ORAL CIGARETTES - The BKW Show!!

10. CreepHyp - Hitotsu ni Narenai nara, Semete Futatsu Dake de Iyou (クリープハイプ - 一つになれないなら、せめて二つだけでいよう)

11. Takahashi Yu - Ima, Soko ni Aru Meimetsu to Gunjo (高橋優 - 今、そこにある明滅と群生)

12. FOLKS - NEWTOWN

13. Yonezu Kenshi - YANKEE (米津玄師 - YANKEE)

14. Kyuso Nekokami - Change The World (キュウソネコカミ - チェンジ ザ ワールド)

15. Frederic - oddloop (フレデリック - oddloop)

16. SAKANAMON - INSUROCK

17. Kuso Iinkai - Shu no Kigen (空想委員会 - 種の起源)

18. Czecho No Republic - MANTLE

19. Handsome Kenya - Amnesia (ハンサムケンヤ - アムネジア)

20. BUMP OF CHICKEN - RAY

21. LEGO BIG MORL - NEW WORLD

22. Brian The Sun - Brian The Sun

23. go!go!vanillas - Magic Number

24. Good Morning America - In Tokyo City (グッドモーニングアメリカ - inトーキョーシティ)

25. Fujifabric - LIFE (フジファブリック - LIFE)

26. UNISON SQUARE GARDEN - Catcher In The Spy

27. Bakudan Johnny - Minna no Shiawase (爆弾ジョニー - みんなの幸せ)

28. Base Ball Bear - Nijuukyuu Sai (Base Ball Bear - 二十九歳)

29. Giraffepot - Hydro human (ジラフポット - Hydro human)

30. This is Not a Business - DEATH MARCH

Babymetal - S/T
BiS - Who Killed Idol?
Oomori Seiko - Sennou
You'll Melt More - Unforgettable Final Odyssey
You'll Melt More - SUImin CIty DEstroyer [EP]
Meliyas - MAJO LP
Charisma.com - DIStopping
Suiyobi no Campanella - Watashi wo...
Suiyobi no Campanella - Cinema Jack
Gaki Ranger - Kids Return

tatsuki

150102 Nandacolle TV

kyarypp1.gif

Rooster12

My favorite 2014 J-Rock/Pop releases

QKcYGUZ.jpg

Odotebakari No Kuni -s/t

news_thumb_Wienners_DIAMOND_jk.jpg

Wienners - Diamond

tamtam_jk-thumb-autox240-17894.jpg

Tam Tam - Strange Tomorrow

51eROWjdKWL._SY300_.jpg

Sakamoto Shintarou - Nama De Odorou

10413108_1425400624397658_50701945_a.jpg

Fact - Witness

%E3%82%A2%E3%83%A0%E3%83%8D%E3%82%B8%E3%82%A2-300x255.jpg

Handsome Kenya - Amnesia

Will do a J-Rap one later

Slowdive

Banned
My favourites from 2014, in no particular order:

Suiyoubi no Campanella - Watashi wo Onigashima ni Tsuretette
Suiyoubi no Campanella - Cinema Jack
Seiko Oomori - Sennou
Mariko Goto - Kowareta Hako ni Rinakkusu
Charisma.com - DIStopping
Meliyas - MAJO LP
Lillies and Remains - Romanticism
Koducer x Daoko - Kireigoto EP
Shiina Ringo - Hi Izuru Tokoro
FEMM - Femm-Isation
Inshowha - (not) NUCLEAR LOVE (or affection)
Dir En Grey - Arche
Kero Kero Bonito - Intro Bonito (Not sure if this counts but)

Mariko Goto - Kowareta Hako ni Rinakkusu

thank you for the reminder, I keep forgetting to check this out. the one song I've heard off of it kind of rules.

Early prediction that the new Dempa album will be on my list next year. Related: Pinky and Eimi reading dirty comics - https://gfycat.com/EmbellishedPepperyAlpinegoat# (source)

edit: this Mariko Goto album is fucking fantastic. first listen and this has grabbed me harder than anything else she's ever done.

not really feeling that one, but I do kind of appreciate that it sounds like it came off a Katamari Damashi soundtrack. maybe it'll grow on me

Kurita

Recently came across some pretty good bands lately.
My Hair is Bad are a nice pop-punk trio, really digging the vocalist's voice.
http://youtu.be/Eqnpw9ul1iU

プププランド (Pupupu land) do some sweet soft rock. Colorful and happy-go-lucky melodies, love that kind of sound.
http://youtu.be/jNTYl_1-MPw

I need to order both bands' latest releases, they aren't available digitally heh

04 Limited Sazabys are also a cool pop-punk band. These instrumentals aren't that original but the vocalist's high-pitched voice definitely grabbed my attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=447cO8LTq9A

Peru

This is an interesting move, kind of a different tactic from what we've seen before in j-pop. Lots of alternative idol groups these days, musically or visually or through shock value, but distancing yourself from the biz model has different consequences.

Idol unit TOKYO GIRLS’ STYLE held a special live streaming today where they exposed the direction they intend to take from this year on, as well as new releases and some pretty shocking decisions.

The five girls from Avex Trax will indeed make some pretty big changes in terms of identity in the near future: It’s been announced that from April 2015 they will quit all their activities as Idols to take a more artistic path, meaning they will leave any tie to the Idol world, which includes participation to Festivals dedicated to this particular niche of market and everything related to it

http://landofrisingsound.com/from-idols-to-artists-tokyo-girls-style-to-leave-the-idol-world/

Musically they've got some great albums behind them so they didn't have to make a big change to find praise in that regard, but I see where they're coming from. This will be part marketing and part a real desire, I'm sure, to find themselves artistically. They've already done very nice collab work with other artistes and are apparently getting more involved in the creative aspect starting from next single.

Zoe

More like SPEED then? (I know they get lumped together with past idols now, but they weren't considered an idol group in the 90's)

The beginning of their career back when they were doing (bad) covers really turned me off of them. Guess I should give them another shot.

Slowdive

Banned
New Shiina Ringo single out February 25th, theme for a drama which starts next week.

Kyary has a new single out on March 18th too.

Kurita

Short version of Czecho No Republic's new PV, For You.
Takahashi is so pretty it hurts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8PdQ8lZjjI

Based Yonezu Kenshi also released a new music video, can't wait for the single. Beautiful song and video, I can tell it's gonna be one of my favorite PVs of the year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_vXzyOJHE

I recently came across Sugar's Campaign, a duo composed of Avec Avec and Seiho, two pretty famous composers/DJs, they'll release their first major album in two weeks and I'm quite liking what I'm hearing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl3xnY9QG_Q

really, none of you were going to tell me that the new Bellring Shoujo Heart album came out a week ago?

Frankly even my other usual sources dropped the ball on that one. what the heck, internet

e: shit, listening to the previews is already making me weak in the knees. wasn't really expecting them to actually get weirder.

e2: this song. holy shit.

ONE OK ROCK UPDATE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_MQD0IlSRE <--Studio Jam Session that i think comes with the LTD version

[CD track list]
01.3xxxv5
02.Take me to the top
03.Cry Out
04.Suddenly
05.Mighty Long Fall
06.Heartache
07.Memories
08.Decision
09.Paper Planes (featuring Kellin from Sleeping with Sirens)
10.Good Goodbye
11.One by One
12.Stuck in the middle
13.Fight the night

Mirin from Dempagumi just posted her top 3 video games from 2014 on twitter

&#21476;&#24029;&#26410;&#37428;Verified account
&#8207;@FurukawaMirin
&#21776;&#31361;&#12395;&#12290;
&#20491;&#20154;&#30340;2014&#24180;&#12505;&#12473;&#12488;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#12290;

1&#20301;&#12300;&#12507;&#12507;&#12463;&#12512;&#12301;
2&#20301;&#12300;&#12475;&#12452;&#12531;&#12484;&#12525;&#12454;IV &#12454;&#12523;&#12488;&#12521;&#12539;&#12473;&#12540;&#12497;&#12540;&#12539;&#12450;&#12523;&#12486;&#12451;&#12513;&#12483;&#12488;&#12539;&#12487;&#12521;&#12483;&#12463;&#12473;&#12539;&#12456;&#12487;&#12451;&#12471;&#12519;&#12531;&#12301;
3&#20301;&#12300;&#22934;&#24618;&#12454;&#12457;&#12483;&#12481;2 &#30495;&#25171;&#12301;

&#12391;&#12375;&#12383;&#65281;
Really quick.

My personal best games of 2014.

1. Hohokum
2. Saints Row IV Ultra Super Ultimate Deluxe Edition
3. Youkai Watch 2 Shin'uchi

That's it!

e: vvv lol, added to the collection.

Top Bottom