• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

faridmon

ONE OK ROCK revealed the title, cover and release date for their new album.
35xxxv (Thirty-five) will be out on February 11th!

Super hyped for it. The single released this year was fantastic.

Doesn't sound like their old style will come back but I will still have hope.

pls be like Niche Syndrome. pls pls pls pls pls

geez, wrong city kinda sucks.

THE FUCK?

Wrong city are amazing. Their sound is so inventive in a sea of horrible cliches of the pop-rock/emo world of Japan and their Lyrics is fantastic. They have this Baroque way of playing the guitar and the main vocalist have some serious talent when it comes to vocal control and delivery.

Honetsly their new album is one of the best albums this year (Japanese or otherwise)

Kurita

Nice you got a 9mm Parabellum Bullet dvd! I have the Act O+E on blu ray, both of them are great.
Can't wait to watch it.

So far I've watched [Alexandros]'s live, KEYTALK's and The Mirraz's. All three were amazing, god damn.
[Alexandros]'s show in Budokan was fantastic, didn't expect to love it this much. They're so good live.
KEYTALK's one was in a smaller venue but it was as good. These guys have so much energy and the crowd was wild. Loved when one of the vocalists jumped into the crowd during the last song.
The Mirraz's show was also great, they seem like cool guys even though they didn't interact with the crowd that much. I'm waiting for a new live DVD since their latest album was fantastic.

Kurita

Doesn't sound like their old style will come back but I will still have hope.

pls be like Niche Syndrome. pls pls pls pls pls

It won't.
If Mighty Long Fall is an indication of the overall quality of the upcoming album it will definitely be an instant classic in my book.

The band This is Not a Business just announced their major debut! They're the Tengu masks-wearing guys that've been gaining quite some hype lately.
lcwN4a5.jpg
Their major debut mini-album will be out on March 11th, can't wait.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm5EhPElP2Q
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Zp9dMbBpY

Kansoku

CAPSULE - "WAVE RUNNER" MEGA-MIX MOVIE

Sounds way less experimental than Caps Lock and looks like Toshiko will have a more important role in this one.

Interesting. There are some parts I really like here (mainly Toshiko parts), but there's also some club-style sounds that I don't really like as much.

CAPSULE are releasing the single 'Feel Again' today/tomorrow on iTunes
you can hear it here

Now this, this I love. Very nice.

THE FUCK?

Wrong city are amazing. Their sound is so inventive in a sea of horrible cliches of the pop-rock/emo world of Japan and their Lyrics is fantastic. They have this Baroque way of playing the guitar and the main vocalist have some serious talent when it comes to vocal control and delivery.

Honetsly their new album is one of the best albums this year (Japanese or otherwise)

I don't really know about the emo scene in Japan, but the songs I listened on YouTube sounded like the Post-Hardcore US scene. And I find that scene to be really samey, and kinda bad. It actually reminded me a bit of Dance Gavin Dance, but less math-y and a little "darker".

Someone should probably stand over Nakata and swat his hand when he reaches to turn up the sidechain compression

Besides that, I like it.

The idol industry needs to check what "chubby" really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9DpPssGEw

lol

it's kind of a double-edged sword. the culture as a whole is so anti-obesity (let's not forget this happened) that eating disorders are extremely common in young girls and women. I applaud an effort to keep people healthy, but obviously that kind of obsession can be harmful too. if a group like this can tell a few young girls that it's okay to not starve themselves to be rail-thin then maybe that's a good thing.

or maybe this is just for chubby-chasing salarymen to gawk at.

Kurita

My Instagram feed is filled with people attending Countdown Japan, arguably the biggest winter festival. Feels bad man.

God damn it, ART-SCHOOL are taking a break starting next february... At least they promise to come back with new stuff so that's something. Hope it won't last long, they've been one of my favorite bands for a very long time.

vanty

I thought this thread was basically dead since I remember checking it out a while back and it would get just a few posts a week. But I've looked through some recent pages and been very happy to (re)discover tricot who are great and the テンテンコ song which I'm liking 100x more than any BiS stuff I've heard.

this is my first time watching the unedited/live Kouhaku Uta Gassen and it's unbearable. somehow more tedious than the American new year's eve shows.

Japanese TV is just unbearably uncool.

yeah. I watch a lot of variety shows and news programs to try to sharpen listening skills, but this is still unexpectedly tedious.

related: Cling Cling is still a super mediocre song. but it's not like they had a ton of choices of new songs to perform this year. even the choreography is unremarkable.

they just shaved one of the guys from Golden Bomber's head on-stage during their song. this is weird.

edit: Momoclo is up! Momoka is out with the flu apparently :\

e2: ah, that was cute. Aarin held up a picture of Momoka and the backup dancers/crowd all sang her part in unison.

Kurita

Watch Shiina Ringo's performance despite not liking her music just to see Ubukata Shinichi, ELLEGARDEN and Nothing's Carved In Stone's guitarist :lol

2 let it go performances... I hope the let it go performances calm down with the new year.

god you'd think so. thank you Japan for keeping that torch burning :\

Ringo's pretty much the best part of the show so far.

I thought Nana Mizuki was supposed to be on this thing?

at this point I'm just going to assume the white team is going to win based on crowd reactions. even though I think the ladies have done a better job overall.

tatsuki

I called it. let's face it, the audience was there to see Arashi and SMAP, judging by the crowd reactions. the ladies never had a chance.

also Red Team has won ONCE in the last ten competitions.

I just felt like the ladies did a better job as a whole. This could just me being biased towards perfume, miwa, momoclo, nishino kana, kyary & the 48 groups though.

Now to watch performances on CDTV

pzglzw.gif

Cling Cling @ Kouhaku 2014, drone lampions are the new projection mapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-HTEkixt-E

the funny thing about that is that when I was watching it live, it didn't even occur to me that they were drones until the end, which is kind of a failure since it's kind of the coolest thing about the performance. now that I watch it again, it's even cooler. shame on you camera people for not making it clear what I was watching.

I used to think Nocchi's weird double joints were cute until I noticed her fingers and I've been forever creeped out by them since.

nf6sjKH.jpg

despite my love of Babymetal, I don't pay attention to Sakura Gakukin (and honestly they kind of weird me out anyway), so I'm not surprised I missed it.

... that Tommy vocal version needs to be released independently.

Cling Cling @ Kouhaku 2014, drone lampions are the new projection mapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-HTEkixt-E

I want them to do a dome tour next year and have these everywhere.

Daito Manabe who does this all for them posted these clips on YouTube after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2no2aepDUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jrobQV8nN0

Pretty cool stuff, and the lady in the first link is Perfume's choreographer.

Catching up on a few of the performances, links if anyone is interested -

Kana (looking beautiful btw) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CF5qtNxUJg
miwa - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxfPGhP_4ww
E-girls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2pSVBLX59A

Top Bottom