• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Finally got home to my N3ds :) Has anybody posted/seen a guide for a system transfer? I had a look at the first few pages of this thread after release but couldn't see anything... don't want to mess up my MH4/G save... do I copy the sd data separately, before/after system transfer?

kubus

Finally got home to my N3ds :) Has anybody posted/seen a guide for a system transfer? I had a look at the first few pages of this thread after release but couldn't see anything... don't want to mess up my MH4/G save... do I copy the sd data separately, before/after system transfer?
Ahh I made the guide but it's not in the OP yet as I wanted to doublecheck it first. I'll PM what I have so far to you.

Halabane

Ahh I made the guide but it's not in the OP yet as I wanted to doublecheck it first. I'll PM what I have so far to you.

You should share that with the world kubu!

A great project would be a web site that has all of this information...a lot of stuff from this thread you started....so folks can kind of flow chart thru the process of buying and setting up a JPN 3ds. I think a lot more people would get into this part of the hobby if they could get a little hand holding at the start. so surprised that it doesn't exist.

If you want to I have another 3ds coming soon...I could take some pictures of the screens and use your words to go thru it step by step and then we could post it.

I used the third option for a transfer where I copy everything over via my computer, probably a slightly stupid question but am I supposed to be downloading all my games again or should they already be showing up?

Impotaku

Been going back over some of my older games to try the new improved 3D out must admit impretty impressed, not just by the better viewing angle but something more important, i'm not sure quite what they have changed but the 3D no longer pulls my eyes even at it's most highest setting it feels as normal as looking at the screen with it off. On my previous XL i could see the 3D fine but it made my eyes feel strained just like when i view 3D at the cinema, my eyes could tell it's not quite natural so they start to strain a little. With this new 3D+ i feel no eye discomfort at all it's weird.

Been leaving it on all the time now, games are a little different than before i'm loving been able to play them how they were intended. One thing i have noticed though when sunlight goes near the head tracking sensor it causes the head tracking to sometimes freak out a little, same problem as the wii had with the remotes.

Got around to downloading conveni dream off the eshop, really enjoying it. It's been a while since i got to enjoy a conveni style game and i'm enjoying the simulation bits as well. Shame it's not on a cart though i'd love to own a physical version, download only games feel like there's something missing. Love fun & unusual Japanese games like this as i have a weakness for cooking & food related games. Waiting for the ramen one to come out next week :)

500yen of eshop credit sat waiting to download
http://www.d3p.co.jp/simpleseries/page36/

Rich!

How well does the 3D work in total darkness? Is it just as good as in a well lit room?

I assume it would be, due to the IR sensor next to the camera. Just want someone to verify for sure.

Impotaku

Works absolutely fine in total darkness. Another thing is sometimes my glasses cause it to freak a little but not sure why as sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Thankfully i can take them off for close up stuff so not essential that i have them on.

In the dark you can see the little IR light glowing if you look closely, it doesn't seem to stay on all the time.

Rich!

Excellent, thanks!

One month left until I have my PAL unit!

fry-futurama-foaming-mouth-want-foam-13581153622.gif

Halabane

does changing the category to Gift on the Tenso shipping do anything for me? I thought gifts did not get a customs fee...

txs for any help.

Josh7289

Thinking Nintendo may want to use this as box cover review. :)

I love it. Everything about it is better than the original 3DS. It's lighter, it's got a very comfortable matte plastic surface, the buttons feel and look great, it's easy to press any combination of the new shoulder buttons, start and select are finally in the right place, the screen size is pretty much perfect, the face tracking for the 3D effect is fantastic, the speakers are much better than the old XL's (though I haven't yet compared them directly to the original, which did have good speakers), the C-Stick is just fine and it's located in a good place and I love the little thumb indent they added to the hinge above it, etc.

I could go on with a bit more but you get the point. I haven't tried the New 3DS XL but the regular New 3DS is easily better than any version of the 3DS that came before it. So far I think it's the ideal 3DS.

Been going back over some of my older games to try the new improved 3D out must admit impretty impressed, not just by the better viewing angle but something more important, i'm not sure quite what they have changed but the 3D no longer pulls my eyes even at it's most highest setting it feels as normal as looking at the screen with it off. On my previous XL i could see the 3D fine but it made my eyes feel strained just like when i view 3D at the cinema, my eyes could tell it's not quite natural so they start to strain a little. With this new 3D+ i feel no eye discomfort at all it's weird.
This was one of the first things i asked when people start getting their hands on import units. Hopefuly this holds true for many other users. This was one of the obstacles in the way of more penetration for the 3D effect.

Are there any games that impressed you with the 3D, that with the original you didn't noticed much?
I love it. Everything about it is better than the original 3DS. It's lighter, it's got a very comfortable matte plastic surface, the buttons feel and look great, it's easy to press any combination of the new shoulder buttons, start and select are finally in the right place, the screen size is pretty much perfect, the face tracking for the 3D effect is fantastic, the speakers are much better than the old XL's (though I haven't yet compared them directly to the original, which did have good speakers), the C-Stick is just fine and it's located in a good place and I love the little thumb indent they added to the hinge above it, etc.
About the sound quality or noise level. Is pretty much an accepted fact that the New 3DS sounds better than the first XL and about the same as the original one. i think i even heard of a person that used a decibel meter to test the sound levels and that was the conclusion he reached.

kubus

You should share that with the world kubu!

A great project would be a web site that has all of this information...a lot of stuff from this thread you started....so folks can kind of flow chart thru the process of buying and setting up a JPN 3ds. I think a lot more people would get into this part of the hobby if they could get a little hand holding at the start. so surprised that it doesn't exist.

If you want to I have another 3ds coming soon...I could take some pictures of the screens and use your words to go thru it step by step and then we could post it.
Haha, actually I've been thinking about starting a website just like that for a long time now. If I can find the time, I also want to start writing walkthroughs for games. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of free time so it's gonna take a while before I can actually start working on it.

does changing the category to Gift on the Tenso shipping do anything for me? I thought gifts did not get a customs fee...

txs for any help.
I believe that if it's marked as gift, the max value threshold before paying tax becomes higher. Here in the EU it's something like: If the item value is €22 or more, you have to pay tax/clearance fees/etc, unless the item is a gift, then you will only pay tax/clearance fees/etc if the value exceeds €45.

But it can be risky. If you have it marked as gift, but the sender is clearly a business or shop, then it might raise suspicion.

Yasawas

I don't suppose anyone has the new LL and the Waterfield City Slicker case? Considering buying the latter but not sure how snug a fit it is already and if the extra 4mm on the new console will make a difference.

Halabane

装甲悪鬼村正;136013137 said:
I've been playing Bravely Default basically non-stop since I got my New LL and noticed that the 3D breaks significantly easier at night when it's dark.

Makes sense...camera needs some light to work. Guess any improvement in low light would be just that the 3ds has more processing capability to do a better job in general (even without the camera)...but thats a guess.

Rich!

I got to try out a N3DS LL today. Posted my thoughts in the australian thread

its really good. less than a month until PAL launch!!

kubus

Bought a couple new games from eBay over the past few days - I'm addicted to hunting down bargains...

- Gaist Crusher - $8
- Medarot DUAL Kuwagata Ver. - $9
- Inazuma Eleven GO Shine - $9
- Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - $16,50
- Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 - $11,50
- Rockman.EXE 2 (GBA) - $10,50

Really happy with these pick-ups! Now to find time to play them... :(

Bought a couple new games from eBay over the past few days - I'm addicted to hunting down bargains...

- Gaist Crusher - $8

Man, what I wouldn't give to experience the Ouendan games for the first time again...

kubus

Man, what I wouldn't give to experience the Ouendan games for the first time again...
Yeah, I know right! I have fond memories of when I played Ouendan. We were on vacation and instead of going outside, I was hooked on those two games and I couldn't stop playing so I always stayed behind XD. But back then I was using... less legal methods to play them. *cough*

But now I can finally display the real deal :). I wish they made a new game :(

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else' new 3DS volume slider not have any sound output for the first 1/3 of the sliding distance? Basically have to slide the switch a full "switch-length" from its off position before I start to hear anything, and that's with the speaker up to my ear. The full volume range seems fine and plenty loud at max though.

StayDead

Does anyone else' new 3DS volume slider not have any sound output for the first 1/3 of the sliding distance? Basically have to slide the switch a full "switch-length" from its off position before I start to hear anything, and that's with the speaker up to my ear. The full volume range seems fine and plenty loud at max though.

It's because I think they use that part as a fixed off position and especially now it clicks into place you can't turn the sound/3D on and off by accident.

yankee666

FINALLY!!!!! . After 1 hour traveling 3 hours in customs and payed 50 USD for taxes i have my new 3DS and MH4G :)
Tonight i going to start the transfer process. Any tips or a guide to transfer. Im going to use the same SD card btw

Yeah, I know right! I have fond memories of when I played Ouendan. We were on vacation and instead of going outside, I was hooked on those two games and I couldn't stop playing so I always stayed behind XD. But back then I was using... less legal methods to play them. *cough*

But now I can finally display the real deal :). I wish they made a new game :(
Oh man, me too. At least we got three of them though, many people never get a sequel to games they love! It saddens me to no end that iNiS has been stuck in karaoke hell for like half a decade. Keiichi Yano, are you out there? I played Eden to Green but even that was quite some time ago now...

Rich!

FINALLY!!!!! . After 1 hour traveling 3 hours in customs and payed 50 USD for taxes i have my new 3DS and MH4G :)
Tonight i going to start the transfer process. Any tips or a guide to transfer. Im going to use the same SD card btw

unless you want it to take a day (literally), select the minimum amount option (just transfer NNID and licences) and then swap the SD card. Don't use the option to transfer the data on the SD itself.

Halabane

EMS is slow. Two days and it has yet to leave Japan. They said 2-4 days to get here for the same price I was paying for 1-2 from fedex (including customs). The delivery of the package is the USPS which is not the best solution, the reason why fedex and ups exist is because of how poor a job USPS does. Since they are using a us govt delivery service my guess is customs is going to be my next delay.

So, not impressed so far. Including the time for Tenso to "put the package together" because they only ship on certain days I guess, so far I am close to two weeks since buying the products. Part of the delay is Amazon, they could not deliver to them a couple of times, didn't say why, just the message was they would retry. Guessing it was the hours that Tenso is open??

Compare to Playasia: I ordered the a new 3ds and had it in my hands in two days total. From Ordering to FedEx at my door. Yup paid more but probably about 25 bucks. The shipping cost is higher at Tenso so some of the higher price of playasia goes away.

I don't have any issue with Tenso, its EMS....why can't Tenso offer an option of FedEx?

I've been ordering from Tenso for years and have yet to have a package take more than 3 days to get to me once I get an EMS tracking number. Cleary this is a YMMV situation!

kubus

So far I'm impressed by how fast Tenso processed my order, consolidation request and shipment request. Tracking shows that the parcel left Japan yesterday, only a day after I got my shipment notification. I'm now waiting for it to show up at my door. It only has cheap stuff inside so I don't expect it to be delayed by customs. Although you never know with them.

I think I read on Tenso's website that they can ship using other services than EMS if you send them an e-mail, but I can't recall if that was only possible in specific cases. Either way sucks to hear that your experience with them so far has been negative, I hope you get the stuff you ordered soon :(.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I believe Tenso is willing to use other options if you contact them. They used to ship via FedEx automatically when your order contained lithium ion batteries during that temporary ban period EMS had on them. They charged more for it though.

Keyouta

I kind of want to get one of these so I can practice my Japanese more often, and in a fun way. Still trying to figure out though if it's worth it, I already have a launch NA 3DS that works just fine. But I'd love to play some Yokai Watch and DQ7 as well. I've decided now though that whenever Nintendo launches their next gen system, if it's region locked, I'm getting one from Japan.

Yasawas

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a European XL though so I see this as good machine for DS games too, as well as silly Japanese games about cats and big robots.

Why are a couple of Inazuma Eleven games really cheap on Nippon Yasan, is there something special about them like you're meant to buy both or something?

Halabane

So far I'm impressed by how fast Tenso processed my order, consolidation request and shipment request. Tracking shows that the parcel left Japan yesterday, only a day after I got my shipment notification. I'm now waiting for it to show up at my door. It only has cheap stuff inside so I don't expect it to be delayed by customs. Although you never know with them.

I think I read on Tenso's website that they can ship using other services than EMS if you send them an e-mail, but I can't recall if that was only possible in specific cases. Either way sucks to hear that your experience with them so far has been negative, I hope you get the stuff you ordered soon :(.

It seems they will use ups if its a weight issue. Again its not Tenso its EMS. When I get the package I will send Tenso an email and see what they have to say. Tenso has been very helpful on making sure I had info correctly entered. What concerns me is that after ems gets done with this it goes to our us mail service which for packages is not very good and even slower. Not whining just letting others know my experience.

Glad its working out well for others...perhaps its a country thing. I live in the US...maybe its better heading to Europe?

Impotaku

No i think that's a fair point, it really does come down to what country you live in as when EMS leaves Japan it's then at the mercy of which ever postal system your country has.

In the UK it's taken over by a company called parcel force they can be pretty good most of the time but at times they can be totally rubbish too. I tend not to buy lots of things over xmas as the postal system gets clogged up & there is a bigger chance of things getting lost at that time of year.

Hopefully you can get things sorted out.

Makes sense...camera needs some light to work. Guess any improvement in low light would be just that the 3ds has more processing capability to do a better job in general (even without the camera)...but thats a guess.

In the prerelease video they showed that it has an ir light and could work in darkness, so I'm a little sad to hear it doesn't work that well.

Halabane

In the prerelease video they showed that it has an ir light and could work in darkness, so I'm a little sad to hear it doesn't work that well.

for neogaf science...a supposedly grown up just went under a blanket in total darkness to test this...

3d worked fine. Moved the device around a bit and it tracked just like it did in the light.

Either there is enough light from the screen or its the gyro. I don't think IR has the fidelity to image eyeballs for the kind of money we are paying for these devices. But maybe...all I know from my unofficial under the blanket test...it worked fine.

Halabane

some more testing...I don't think its an infrared camera capability...its a light. to the right of the camera is a little red light (when it turned on). so they use that to illuminate and use the camera. clever. the difference being is that an infrared camera using the existing light / heat sources this guy generates additional light while in the dark, still could be processing it using infrared techniques but who knows..

if you want to see it, just turn down the screen intensity on your 3ds and get into dark room or under the covers. you will easily see the red glow.

and it seems to work based on my quick testing...

Rich!

Hm. I'm sure its infrared...I thought that was confirmed. Wouldn't make any sense the way you are describing.

Easiest way, try filming it with a video camera or phone camera. The IR light should show up when it flashes on and off, just like a TV remote or Wii sensor bar does.

Halabane

Hm. I'm sure its infrared...I thought that was confirmed. Wouldn't make any sense the way you are describing.

Easiest way, try filming it with a video camera or phone camera. The IR light should show up when it flashes on and off, just like a TV remote or Wii sensor bar does.

maybe this helps...http://nintendoeverything.com/a-few-more-tidbits-about-the-new-3ds/

to save you a trip: "The New 3DS contains a new infrared LED lamp. As mentioned before, this is used for 3D stabilization in dark places. You’ll also be able to take better pictures in dark places." Which is what I was trying to say but my wording perhaps was poor.

Impotaku

Seems youkai watch is getting a bit more interesting just discovered the youkaipad is getting released, that one totally slipped me by. What's interesting is the medals slot into that as well bringing up the youkai's data on it, have a feeling a few of the apps on it wil link in with the game somehow as they all share with each other in some way.
&

Halabane

The youkai watch stuff must be tough to collect outside of japan. As I understand its hard in to find the stuff living there. I have been trying to stay away from it.

Zornica

Banned

- Gaist Crusher - $8

y, I noticed the price for inazuma eleven and gaist crusher... although I payed even less

I got the gaist crusher limited edtion (!) + IE go + some stupid pokemon accessory + a manga for about 8€! Feels like I just ripped someone off.

edit: btw: does anyone of you fresh j3ds owners also own culdcept? I'd love to play against some real people instead of playing against the AI all the time

Impotaku

The youkai watch stuff must be tough to collect outside of japan. As I understand its hard in to find the stuff living there. I have been trying to stay away from it.

Yeah it's pretty hard as i have to rely on online shops for nearly it all as i don't have the luxury of living there and store hunting in person to track stuff down plus not everything i can find online. A few times i have had to ask my friend who lives there to help with stuff like the YW xmas cake, i would never be able to get get it from outside japan as you have to preorder it at a convenience store, damn those medals lol. Still hoping he managed to get me one preordered.

Too late for me to back out now im in too deep with collecting, it's fun but it stretches my wallet and search skills a lot, they keep putting them in various things and i never find out on time lol. I have to do many web searches in Japanese to track down the new stuff but managing well so far.

Halabane

anyone know how I can access the magazine that has the demo code for pokemon ORAS?
Can't seem to buy it and probably take forever to get here.

mrback

I have a copy of link between worlds (Japan) version & a 3ds soft pouch. Is anyone interested in making an offer? The pouch is brand new & just arrived from play Asia, I ordered a couple of cases & decided to keep the hard one. PM me if interested. The game & case is immaculate. Cheers to all.

Impotaku

anyone know how I can access the magazine that has the demo code for pokemon ORAS?
Can't seem to buy it and probably take forever to get here.

The code is unfortunately one use only so any that i have found online via google image search/youtube were already used. Either you will have to find someone with a november issue of corocoro comics that doesn't want their code or you will have to try and buy a copy for yourself.

Top Bottom