• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Halabane

can't find a new copy online, its commanding a rather nice price for a used copy (guessing the code is long gone). anyone know of a us distributor?

kubus

My tenso shipment is here! Super happy with their service.

The Hori hard pouch is perfect and looks amazing. I'm too scared to apply the screen filter though, I can't read the instructions and I only bought one. What if I mess up?!

I think I'll try to find a Japanese how-to video haha.

edit: Welp, I knew it. I screwed up. Even though I knew exactly what to do, I managed to make multiple dumb mistakes and now there's dust and fibers stuck under the bottom screen filter.

I knew I should've ordered two sets >_<.

Impotaku

Roll up a piece of tape so the sticky side is facing out and use it to pull the dust off the filter you should be able to fix it. I always seem to get a bit of it under no matter how careful i am.

kubus

Holy crap, it worked!

It's not perfect yet, but I managed to grab most of the dust using your method suggestion :D. I might not have to order a new set now... Thank you!

Impotaku

The hardest part is getting the screen protector back up without gouging the slicone layer underneath as once you scrape that it doesn't want to stick down flat anymore and you see air bubbles. Glad to hear you got most of it off with the tape method, see all is not lost :)

kubus

Haha, for me the hardest part was lifting a corner of the filter, I really had to scrape under there with my fingernail (thankfully I didn't damage the screen) in order to remove it.

There's a small air bubble at the top of the bottom screen now and it won't go away, but it's not very intrusive so I'm gonna leave it like that. Some of the corners of the filter are also a bit bended and scratchy because of all the peeling, but at least the center part of the filter is completely clean now!

I'll probably still order a new filter set, but there's no real rush now, so I guess I will order it when a new faceplate comes out that I want.

Speaking of which... Smash Bros. faceplate is coming out pretty soon I think? Another week or so :D.

Lookie401

Hello again. Just a reminder I still have the Daigasso! Band Bros P Debut codes to give away. Prefer request via PM but I'll check this thread too just in case. :)

kubus

Finally got my import and the screen has a yellowish (&#23615;) tint :(. More impressions to follow later.
Did you disable the power saving thingie in the screen settings? It causes a yellowish tint and I think it is enabled by default.

Lookie401

I have the game, but it's several months since I last played, where would I go to find my own codes? ^^
First make sure you update the game to the latest version, should be v2.0. Then, at the main screen press and hold the L button while selecting the tomato icon. It should load a screen with the codes. Hope this helps.

for neogaf science...a supposedly grown up just went under a blanket in total darkness to test this...

3d worked fine. Moved the device around a bit and it tracked just like it did in the light.

Either there is enough light from the screen or its the gyro. I don't think IR has the fidelity to image eyeballs for the kind of money we are paying for these devices. But maybe...all I know from my unofficial under the blanket test...it worked fine.
It is not an infra red camera, that small orifice is either an IR LED or an IR sensor.

To be sure do this little exercise.

1) Turn on the dynamic brightness adjust.
2) Cover the camera with your finger and see if there's a change in brightness level.
3) Cover the smaller IR orifice with your finger and see if the brightness changes.

If there was a change in brightness covering the camera it means the thing is an IR LED. If there was a change in the other case then it means it's a IR sensor.

The camera is not tracking your eyes or eyeball movement. What i think the camera is doing is recognizing your face and it's orientation. Then it uses the gyroscope data to make adjustments for the slight movements while using your face as a reference point. The reason for me to think this is that the camera is too low res at 640*480 to do anything more complex than the above.

Would be interesting to hear if you did this little experiment. XD
Does Pokemon Oras use of N3ds new found horsepower or is it only a standard 3DS game?
From what i heard it doesn't.

Every game from now on should acomodate the improved specs of the system, it's a waste not to do so. Of course, developers should do this respecting the old user base.

Netto-kun

(Obviously free) Codes for the JPN version Pokémon ORAS special demo are up for grab through Amazon JP. Which also includes a 500 yen discount coupon that can be used for either OR or AS.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00OT5NT50/

Got my code right away, but no idea whether they still have more available or not. At check-out it'll ask for your card info, but you obviously won't have to pay a yen for the code. Also make sure to use whichever Japanese address you have as your billing info at the check-out.

In other news related to importing, got this 3DS game from Nippon-yasan on Wednesday. I haven't gotten around to play it yet because priorities and Monster Hunter 4G. At least I'll make sure to grab that one DLC which is free right now.

Kysen

4hrs later and still transferring wtf(75%). Nintendo really needs to sort out their software. Both 3DS are right next to each other, it shouldn't be this slow.

Chopper

4hrs later and still transferring wtf(75%). Nintendo really needs to sort out their software. Both 3DS are right next to each other, it shouldn't be this slow.
Did you buy a second 32GB SD card? Is it transferring absolutely everything over, or just the licenses and save data?

I am confused and concerned about the transfer process.

Impotaku

If it's taking that long then you must have a lot of digital games as when i did it the entire process took less than half an hour in total. I just transferred my licenses and save data then downloaded the few digital games i bought back off the eshop, due to the download speeds been a lot faster on the new hardware it took hardly any time at all to get everything back on.

Kysen

Did you buy a second 32GB SD card? Is it transferring absolutely everything over, or just the licenses and save data?

I am confused and concerned about the transfer process.

Yes as the old style SD card doesn't work on the new model. New one uses micro SD cards instead. Everything transferred over, was like it just cloned the whole system.

As for my impressions

Good
  • Head tracking on 3D effect means that you can move the 3ds alot and not break the 3d. Due to this I will always be using 3d on now. Gone are the headache inducing image warps when you move your head slightly.
  • System is much snappier, feels faster booting.
  • Better home button and start and select way easier to use. Hated that bottom row on the last model.

Bad
  • c-stick is not recognized by default in MH4G, has to be enabled like you were using the old addon.
  • c-stick throw is abysmal, this is basically an Thinkpad laptop nub. You can forget about using this in a FPS game.
  • getting at the sd card slot requires a screwdriver. No where near as elegant as the previous model. Also the covering is flimsy and looks like it will crack if dropped.
  • Stylus has a weird head shape and this makes it easy to get it stuck when putting it back into the system.
  • Screen has warmer colors than last model. Whites appear yellowish.

Overall this is the model the original 3ds should have been. That 3d screen effect aided by head tracking is huge. If this was there at launch you wouldn't have heard about all those stories of peoples eyes hurting.

Yasawas

Does anyone know how much content is in this new Youkai Watch due next month? Enough to make me feel like a mug for getting the current version with my 3DS this weekend? I can afford two games with it and choosing them is torture :(

Halabane

"Bad
c-stick is not recognized by default in MH4G, has to be enabled like you were using the old addon."

for mh4g it worked automatically for me. I never turned it on. Worked right from the opening scene on the ship.

Impotaku

Does anyone know how much content is in this new Youkai Watch due next month? Enough to make me feel like a mug for getting the current version with my 3DS this weekend? I can afford two games with it and choosing them is torture :(

About as much content as there is betweeen the ganso & honke versions this is the final 3rd part to youkai watch 2 not really an upgraded sequel that people seem to think it is. The shinuchi version contains the final group of youkai that you couldn't get in the other 2 versions. Mostly the dark youkai, there is a new main quest that revolves around the story of the movie and there will be unique side quests just like there was in the ganso & honke versions. Also will have a new opening song & intro along with a group of youkai you can only friend in that version.

It also links back with the ganso & honke games it uses the connection data from those games to unlock more content mainly new characters to fight in the youkai busters portion of the game, seems to be a mysterious wild looking youkai that looks like jibanyan & one that looks like komasan.

Interestingly if you upgrade your patch data in ganso & honke with the new patch coming soon it gives you additional content there will now be an S rank version of jibanyan & komasan along with a stronger oni that will be roaming around the town in oni time.

Already totally done ganso & honke so i'm looking forward to the shinuchi version,

Here is the official Japanese page listing some of the differences
http://www.youkai-watch.jp/yw2/game/game01.html

Yasawas

Thanks man, I'll check that out later!

I actually ended up not getting YW2 as I'd intended anyway. I just ordered my New 3DS there (yay!) and a couple of games but there are a couple of things I want in December (Youkai, that Sega compilation, some sick faceplates) so since I'll definitely be putting another order in before Christmas I decided I could hold off for now. Also apparently their eShop has a ton of demos so this could end up being some size of order as there were a number of titles I was on the fence about :)

Can't wait for this wee thing. I've only ever used an XL but I vastly prefer the smaller size/weight of the DSi and from what I've heard from a number of people the smaller one this time round is pretty sweet. This is kind of a test for which one I go with when I inevitably buckle at the end of the month and import an Australian one too.

Impotaku

The youkai watch games are pretty good, i had no problems coughing up the cash for all of them as they have enough different content between them to make the purchase worth it. Probably helps that i'm a massive fan of them, i have been well & truly sucked into that world love everything about the games they are so much fun, personally i'd recommend getting all 4 but i appreciate importing is expensive so that's not practical for a lot of people. Unfortunately they don't seem to hugely drop in price even the first game is still pretty expensive

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
(Obviously free) Codes for the JPN version Pokémon ORAS special demo are up for grab through Amazon JP. Which also includes a 500 yen discount coupon that can be used for either OR or AS.

Got my code right away, but no idea whether they still have more available or not. At check-out it'll ask for your card info, but you obviously won't have to pay a yen for the code. Also make sure to use whichever Japanese address you have as your billing info at the check-out.
This is an even better deal for those interested in the downloadable version of ORAS now since the price for the DL versions dropped a little.

DL versions are now 4400 yen each so you'll only pay 3900 yen with no tax after getting the promo code for picking up the demo. Compared with nearly 5000 yen direct from the eshop after tax.

kubus

Does anyone know if the Japanese version of Pokemon ORAS will have English text?

Probably not, but the fact that the Western versions of X/Y included Japanese text options gives me hope...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure about ORAS but I believe the JP versions of X/Y had English text options so this should too unless they decide to change it up this time.

Does anyone know if the Japanese version of Pokemon ORAS will have English text?

Probably not, but the fact that the Western versions of X/Y included Japanese text options gives me hope...

I think it was already confirmed. All versions of XY allowed you to play in any of the languages the script was written in so that should be the case with ORAS.

Yes as the old style SD card doesn't work on the new model. New one uses micro SD cards instead. Everything transferred over, was like it just cloned the whole system.

As for my impressions

Good
  • Head tracking on 3D effect means that you can move the 3ds alot and not break the 3d. Due to this I will always be using 3d on now. Gone are the headache inducing image warps when you move your head slightly.
  • System is much snappier, feels faster booting.
  • Better home button and start and select way easier to use. Hated that bottom row on the last model.

Bad
  • c-stick is not recognized by default in MH4G, has to be enabled like you were using the old addon.
  • c-stick throw is abysmal, this is basically an Thinkpad laptop nub. You can forget about using this in a FPS game.
  • getting at the sd card slot requires a screwdriver. No where near as elegant as the previous model. Also the covering is flimsy and looks like it will crack if dropped.
  • Stylus has a weird head shape and this makes it easy to get it stuck when putting it back into the system.
  • Screen has warmer colors than last model. Whites appear yellowish.

Overall this is the model the original 3ds should have been. That 3d screen effect aided by head tracking is huge. If this was there at launch you wouldn't have heard about all those stories of peoples eyes hurting.
Thanks for sharing your impressions.

In regards to the C stick and it's limitations for FPS aiming. IF the 3D effect holds as well as some people claim, it would be possible to use the C stick as brought camera movement method and do fine tuning to the aiming reticle with the Gyroscope. That's how it works in something like Nintendo Land and it ends up being more precise than dual stick aiming (on the Wii U) but at least in the 3DS it could make FP shooters playable.

Halabane

Originally Posted by Netto-kun

Thank you!!

M3d10n

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

In regards to the C stick and it's limitations for FPS aiming. IF the 3D effect holds as well as some people claim, it would be possible to use the C stick as brought camera movement method and do fine tuning to the aiming reticle with the Gyroscope. That's how it works in something like Nintendo Land and it ends up being more precise than dual stick aiming (on the Wii U) but at least in the 3DS it could make FP shooters playable.

Yeah, gyro aiming is very good in Resident Evil Revelations too. Should work very well on the N3DS.

Yeah, gyro aiming is very good in Resident Evil Revelations too. Should work very well on the N3DS.
Revelations has Gyro aiming? Does it supports the circle pad pro (or C stick) while doing so? Have played the game yet i didn't knew that XD

Would have been sweet to hear impressions about using Gyro aiming in Revelations to see if the 3D doesn't brake. Kind of strange videos didn't focus on this aspect.

This is an even better deal for those interested in the downloadable version of ORAS now since the price for the DL versions dropped a little.

DL versions are now 4400 yen each so you'll only pay 3900 yen with no tax after getting the promo code for picking up the demo. Compared with nearly 5000 yen direct from the eshop after tax.

Thanks to this deal plus the exchange rate I'm actually saving money compared to buying AS domestically, lol

TheWraith

Revelations has Gyro aiming? Does it supports the circle pad pro (or C stick) while doing so? Have played the game yet i didn't knew that XD

Would have been sweet to hear impressions about using Gyro aiming in Revelations to see if the 3D doesn't brake. Kind of strange videos didn't focus on this aspect.

Can confirm that 3D doesnt break at all when I used the gyro controls in Star Fox with it. Super awesome.

kubus

I think it was already confirmed. All versions of XY allowed you to play in any of the languages the script was written in so that should be the case with ORAS.
Aaargh thanks to your confirmation I just decided I want to import the Japanese version but then I realized I've already got the EU steelbook version preordered + paid off D:

It's gonna be hard to go back to the normal XL after playing with my New 3DS...

Maybe I should double dip... >_>

Edit: omg just noticed Japan is getting the game a week ahead of europe... Yeahhh probably double dipping XD

Garou

So Amazon.co.jp has temporarily stopped selling the black LL-model, to investiagte a potential problem.

BDzbpWN.png

Any idea if this is just a small lot, or have there been reports of any severe problems?

Halabane

So Amazon.co.jp has temporarily stopped selling the black LL-model, to investiagte a potential problem.

BDzbpWN.png

Any idea if this is just a small lot, or have there been reports of any severe problems?

odd its just the black ll. That would seem to be a cosmetic issue with the color? The guts would be the same ... no?

Can confirm that 3D doesnt break at all when I used the gyro controls in Star Fox with it. Super awesome.
This was confirmed by other importer also with Star Fox. But this is always super exiting to hear.

Would be interesting to try out and reply various games with the stereo 3D and some motion controls. Ocarina, RE: Revelations, Star Fox, Mario Kart. ISn't that dating Sim Love Plus(?) capable of using the gyro controls XD

That's concerning. But specially the Black models? Not the Blue or MonHun limited edition. What could the problem be concidering the difference between those 3 is just the paint color.

lupin23rd

How is the 3DS version of Dragon Quest X?

Is it possible to play it overseas or is it region locked like (I believe) the rest of the versions?

Top Bottom