• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Impotaku

Considering that the game was struggling to run for people inside japan i seriously doubt it could work for someone who imported, oh it would run but you would need to have an amazing internet connection to be able to stream that without it been a unplayable laggy mess due to the distance of the servers it has to connect to.

Always been curious about this game for years. Any of the importers have experience with this game? It looks like a showcase demo of the 3DS features, might be worthed as a curiosity.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else having an issue where their New 3DS (I'm using an LL) isn't waking up from sleep mode?

I'll close it to go into sleep mode, and I just get a black screen when I open it up. Nothing but turning it off and back on seems to fix it.

Any ideas?

Aeana

http://www.realmofdarkness.net/dq/up/2014/8/5

SEE POST BELOW TURNS OUT THIS IS NOT TRUE ANY LONGER: at this time you would still need a JPN 3ds and SE account. But the ip blocking is done. Though I have not personally tested it. There is a PC version you could try.

IIRC, they re-added the IP Block sometime after that news post. I'd check in over at Woodus's Dragons Den about getting it to work if you're overseas.

It's not relevant to the 3DS version, though. It has no IP lock. It is, however, unplayable outside of Japan for latency reasons.

Anyone else having an issue where their New 3DS (I'm using an LL) isn't waking up from sleep mode?

I'll close it to go into sleep mode, and I just get a black screen when I open it up. Nothing but turning it off and back on seems to fix it.

Any ideas?

Is it a black LL? Could it be related to this?

I have a black New 3DS LL, but I have not used it much yet. It's concerning, to say the least.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Any ideas?
Is it a black new LL? Amazon JP recentlly temporarily stopped selling them due to a problem with their stock.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's a blue one. Ordered from Nippon-yasan.

Would be a pain in the ass to ship this over to get repairs from the states. I guess I'll just wait until I'm in Japan again next March if it does turn out to be a hardware issue.

I've been searching online, and apparently this problem has existed in past models. Strangely enough, placing an old DS series device on top of it can take it out of sleep mode. I guess it has to do something with a magnetism sensor on the 3DS being triggered by it. I'll have to give it a try later.

Halabane

"It's not relevant to the 3DS version, though. It has no IP lock. It is, however, unplayable outside of Japan for latency reasons."

Glad I skipped it. Had it in my cart for this last order. Read that it was 'streamed' to the device and decided against and had downloaded the pc version but never activated it.

"Black screen"

I did a quick look on the amazon site and didn't see this problem but I just did a quick look.

Checked out the support site http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/chart/3ds/index.html and didn't see anything but my japanese is limited so I could have missed it. It seemed to push me to contacting support.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"It's not relevant to the 3DS version, though. It has no IP lock. It is, however, unplayable outside of Japan for latency reasons."

Glad I skipped it. Had it in my cart for this last order. Read that it was 'streamed' to the device and decided against and had downloaded the pc version but never activated it.

"Black screen"

I did a quick look on the amazon site and didn't see this problem but I just did a quick look.

Checked out the support site http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/chart/3ds/index.html and didn't see anything but my japanese is limited so I could have missed it. It seemed to push me to contacting support.

There's an entry about it right here:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/chart/3ds/freeze/f3.html

Their grand solution is to power off the device and turn it back on.

Kind of defeats the whole damn purpose of sleep mode, doesn't it?

Any ideas?
It's basically an error within the software for the sensor. So it needs to be fixed aka replaced by Nintendo. But before you send it in, you could try the following:

1. try using a different power outlet/different power outlet at a different place

2. did you do a system transfer or did you download any software which might be corrupted? It happened to users with a corrupted Swapnote install before. Remove it and check.

3. Is it connected to a WiFi? Try using it with a different WiFi access point and put the device to sleep. Try turning off WiFi completely.

4. Do you go into the home menu before you put it to sleep? Does it behave the same way if you don't do that?

5. Latest update?

6. Turn the system off, take out the sd card, restart and try again. Anything different? Could be a faulty card.

7. Shut the system down and remove the battery for a minute. Put it back in and try again.

Good luck!

Zornica

Banned
Always been curious about this game for years. Any of the importers have experience with this game? It looks like a showcase demo of the 3DS features, might be worthed as a curiosity.

I've been curious for years.... but I haven't had the chance to buy it for cheap yet. But if I ever get the chance, I'll check it out for sure.

It's not relevant to the 3DS version, though. It has no IP lock. It is, however, unplayable outside of Japan for latency reasons.
[...]

is it playable within japan (yet)? most reviews on amazon seem kinda worrying.

Impotaku

Never even heard of nazo waku yakata, just looked it up. Intriguing i hope the puzzles are not prof layton levels of comprehension but from the youtube vid it seems i may be able to get through it.

Seems Amazon have new first print copies for £11 just picked one up. The box art is amazing how on earth did i miss this game? Glad this thread exists as i'd never have known.
813YJB3gBsL._AA1500_.jpg

Also discovered that there are binders specifically for holding 3DS AR cards picked one up to hold all my various loose ones as once the packs of cards for project mirai were opened they are all loose in the case & there are loads of them i'd prefer to have them all together safe,
610qJJwkj-L._AA1000_.jpg

sakipon

Also discovered that there are binders specifically for holding 3DS AR cards picked one up to hold all my various loose ones as once the packs of cards for project mirai were opened they are all loose in the case & there are loads of them i'd prefer to have them all together safe,

Nice find. I'd need that. Are those available at other (import) stores? Made a quick check to Play-Asia and CD Japan but not sure how they'd name those binders.

Kysen

There's an entry about it right here:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/chart/3ds/freeze/f3.html

Their grand solution is to power off the device and turn it back on.

Kind of defeats the whole damn purpose of sleep mode, doesn't it?

This isn't a new 3ds problem, I have had this happen to me multiple times on my OG LL. Left MH for a few days in sleep mode while connected to the mains. Went to resume and got nothing but a black screen, rebooting fixed it. Obviously I lost progress.

is it playable within japan (yet)? most reviews on amazon seem kinda worrying.
I bought it last month and as far as playability goes, it plays extremely well imho. Font could be bigger tho. Other than that, I can't really complain. Pretty smooth experience so far.

Never even heard of nazo waku yakata, just looked it up. Intriguing i hope the puzzles are not prof layton levels of comprehension but from the youtube vid it seems i may be able to get through it.

Seems Amazon have new first print copies for £11 just picked one up. The box art is amazing how on earth did i miss this game? Glad this thread exists as i'd never have known.
813YJB3gBsL._AA1500_.jpg
It was released within the 3DS launch window back then. It's not a very good game tbh. Very easy to find used for a few bucks here in Japan.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's basically an error within the software for the sensor. So it needs to be fixed aka replaced by Nintendo. But before you send it in, you could try the following:

1. try using a different power outlet/different power outlet at a different place

2. did you do a system transfer or did you download any software which might be corrupted? It happened to users with a corrupted Swapnote install before. Remove it and check.

3. Is it connected to a WiFi? Try using it with a different WiFi access point and put the device to sleep. Try turning off WiFi completely.

4. Do you go into the home menu before you put it to sleep? Does it behave the same way if you don't do that?

5. Latest update?

6. Turn the system off, take out the sd card, restart and try again. Anything different? Could be a faulty card.

7. Shut the system down and remove the battery for a minute. Put it back in and try again.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of this! I did do a full system transfer (over wireless, which took forever) when I bought the new 3DS LL. Was probably around 15 GB of data, so corruption is possible, I suppose. Hopefully I can identify the issue.

This isn't a new 3ds problem, I have had this happen to me multiple times on my OG LL. Left MH for a few days in sleep mode while connected to the mains. Went to resume and got nothing but a black screen, rebooting fixed it. Obviously I lost progress.

Interesting. I owned both an original 3DS and a 3DS LL for years and never had this issue occur even once. I also had a OG DS and DS Lite over the years without any problems.

Insaniac

Hey guys, how sturdy is the upper screen on the n3ds? On the OG 3ds the top screen wobbles and it always bothered me. On 3DS XLs the screen was really sturdy with no wobble. How is it on the N3dS?

Zing

Banned
Every XL I have seen has a slightly floppy lid. It appears to be generally assumed the looseness is to prevent hinge cracking.

Conversely, the four OG systems I've bought were tight. Do you mean your XL lid literally wobbles left and right?

Huh, I've never heard of this at all. Honestly, if it's just a janky montage of weird stuff using 3DS features, that kinda sounds up my alley, lol.

Jeez, looking through related items on Amazon, Gaist Crusher really did mega-bomb, huh? For sub-$10, is it worth it? The demo didn't do anything for me at all, but... I'm kinda getting tired of waiting for the next original Treasure game lol.

Impotaku

Most likely yes as whenever your Japanese 3DS connects to Nintendos servers it's the Japanese ones that it will connect to regardless of the language you are playing it in.

Does anyone know if the new shantae game is on the Japanese eshop? Is it in english on there if it is? Since I got my n3ds, it feels shitty using my english one, its just so slow :(, to the extent I bought and haven't played Fantasy Life and SMT4... I've also been spamming Smash today with the c stick after playing 4G nonstop and I love it :)

Also, could we draw up a list of games which are easy to understand/have English options (e.g. the Phoenix wright trilogy)? I've seen one on a different website (can't remember where right now), but I don't think it was fully updated...

Halabane

... I've also been spamming Smash today with the c stick after playing 4G nonstop and I love it :)..

that c-stick smash is fun.

MH4G the c-stick still needs a bit of getting used to for me...I had the external stick (whatever its called) for mh3g and got used to that.

Halabane

I did get my order from EMS. It was long road to my house but it did arrive. Again not a Tenso issue (though they were closed during one of the delivery's from Amazon so that did add to the delay). It was just long time between EMS/JPost and US postal service. The web sites for tracking does not even map together. EMS never said it got to the US or was delivered. The US postal site did a better job but there were a couple of days of delays for some reason in going from place to place. Literally took two days to go about 200 miles.

Overall shipping time was about 8 business days which is much longer than promised but its here. Time from purchase was two 1/2 weeks from hitting order on amazon to my house. So next time I know what to expect. This was a first time (usually use playasia) and there was a lot of unknowns that I now have a handle on. Did save quite a bit of money so all is well and some people in my family are getting some great gifts!

I will be much more comfortable with this route in the future now that I understand the ups and downs.

that c-stick smash is fun.

MH4G the c-stick still needs a bit of getting used to for me...I had the external stick (whatever its called) for mh3g and got used to that.

Yeah, its fun. I used the CPP too for 3g/4 and found the transition was quite straight forward! But it feels a little unresponsive vertically sometimes. Also, the console itself feels really different because of the glossy back (makes it kinda slippery), as well as the fact that the CPP made it very bulky, whereas without it its small :p

It is not. A good number of western indies don't make it to the JP eshop.

Disappointing to hear, guess I'll have to buy it on my english one ._.

Also, anyone from Europe(UK in particular) buying a N3DS from Australia? If so, where are you importing from? Likely won't import that too because already splurged on the Japanese one, but yeah...

Halabane

I have followed the jpn market but not the uk/eu...is there a reason to get the uk/eu version of the 3ds in addition to the jpn version? besides language...

Zornica

Banned
I bought it last month and as far as playability goes, it plays extremely well imho. Font could be bigger tho. Other than that, I can't really complain. Pretty smooth experience so far.

It was released within the 3DS launch window back then. It's not a very good game tbh. Very easy to find used for a few bucks here in Japan.

I guess I'll give it a try as soon as I'm done with smt4. btw how long is the main quest? (dqx)

y, I've heard that its not great, but I like the artstyle and somehow I want it for my shelf :/

[...]

Jeez, looking through related items on Amazon, Gaist Crusher really did mega-bomb, huh? For sub-$10, is it worth it? The demo didn't do anything for me at all, but... I'm kinda getting tired of waiting for the next original Treasure game lol.

bought that one last week for like 300 yen from amazon. It was the collectors edition (!) btw ... kinda sad :/

I have followed the jpn market but not the uk/eu...is there a reason to get the uk/eu version of the 3ds in addition to the jpn version? besides language...

besides language? generating sales so that other people less fortunate get to play great (niche) games... people who can't import from japan or people who don't speak english and are in need of a properly localised version. To me that's reason enough to buy most games for my pal system
besides that, probably not.

Impotaku

In order of priority for nintendo it goes Japan/America/Europe so if you go for Europe expect to have your game selection slashed to a fraction of the other 2 regions. I personally gave up on domestic Nintendo gaming a long time ago i got fed up of been denied games because i was living in the UK.

From the mono gameboy onwards, i ditched my UK consoles and went Japanese and never looked back.

Zing

Banned
Europeans are able to get a native n3DS shipped to them in just a few weeks from now, so I am not shedding any tears for you.

NoA still pretends this thing doesn't exist.

StayDead

The only thing I can really think of is a bunch of indie games come out in America/Europe that don't get published in Japan for Nintendo's weird "you need a BoO in Japan to publish on the store" rule. Not worth an entire console though.

Guys how are these 'improved' cameras?

I'm wondering if they'll make the Chibi Robo photo game more viable, which is something I thought was intetesting but the old cameras made it near-unplayable at times.

Impotaku

Nope same old horrible low quality cameras which is a shame, you need to have near mythical lighting conditions to get anything even remotely respectable.

pronk420

Europeans are able to get a native n3DS shipped to them in just a few weeks from now, so I am not shedding any tears for you.

NoA still pretends this thing doesn't exist.

wait what how? I thought it wasn't releasing until like spring 2015

Rich!

I'm getting a PAL english New 3DS in two weeks, as are many others.

It releases in Australia on the 21st November. Will work with all European games as its the same region.

pronk420

I'm getting a PAL english New 3DS in two weeks, as are many others.

It releases in Australia on the 21st November. Will work with all European games as its the same region.

oh wow I just assumed australia would be some kind of oceania region. is there a place to order them online that isn't insanely overpriced?

Impotaku

After what Iwata said about it at the shareholders meeting i doubt it will get released that early in the west, apparently the 3DS hasn't sold enough over here to justify releasing the newer version.

Rich!

oh wow I just assumed australia would be some kind of oceania region. is there a place to order them online that isn't insanely overpriced?

Playasia have them for about £160 for the XL. 365games have them for about £170.

I ordered from mightyape. Together with shipping, it comes to £170 for a new XL

The standard model n3ds is cheaper of course.

Galdelico

In order of priority for nintendo it goes Japan/America/Europe so if you go for Europe expect to have your game selection slashed to a fraction of the other 2 regions. I personally gave up on domestic Nintendo gaming a long time ago i got fed up of been denied games because i was living in the UK.

From the mono gameboy onwards, i ditched my UK consoles and went Japanese and never looked back.

I've been just like you until PS360 era. Massive, massive import gamer on all consoles, not just portables.

Now, after a long generation of PAL gaming - with some exceptions, of course, but still 90% domestic - I feel a bit afraid to get back to a Japanese-only affair, even if on the 3DS.
It's like I've lost some confidence - if that makes any sense - to approach a game without fully understanding what I'm doing... My 3DS collection isn't *huge* by any means, but I played games that I'm not sure I could've enjoyed the way I did, if not (at least) written down in english. Jeez, even looking at Senran Kagura 2 menus makes me feel quite overwhelmed, and I could never play through a Japanese Zelda or a Fire Emblem title, nowadays.

But yeah, since I've already planned to import my New 3DS XL, woud you still suggest me to get a Japanese one or to wait for a later US release?

Zornica

Banned

I know this still comes up from time to time, but in reality it hasn't been true for at least 5 years. NoE has been way more active latetly in bringing interessting stuff to europe - stuff america didn't get through NoA or didn't get at all.

MicH

Is 32GB still max storage capacity? I already have a 32GB SanDisk SD card in my 3DS, so I'm looking to buy a micro SD for the new 3DS

Zing

Banned
Is 32GB still max storage capacity? I already have a 32GB SanDisk SD card in my 3DS, so I'm looking to buy a micro SD for the new 3DS
There is technically no max, as long as it is formatted in fat32. By default, exfat is used on cards over 32, but the 3DS can't read that format.

Be warned that the card will have increased access time the larger the fat32 partition.

MicH

There is technically no max, as long as it is formatted in fat32. By default, exfat is used on cards over 32, but the 3DS can't read that format.

Be warned that the card will have increased access time the larger the fat32 partition.
Oh. Thanks. I guess I'll stick with a 32GB card. I stopped have plenty of space left on my current one despite having a lot of digital games. Just ordered a new micro SD from Amazon :)

Top Bottom