• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Kind of want to cancel everything and go the Play-Asia or Amazon+Tenso route. It may be more expensive but at least I know I'll have everything within a week. Blah. Just venting. Been importing games for the last 17 years and this is supposed to be my first non-used Japanese console, never had any issue with customs or things taking so damn long, so just really frustrated.
I know the feeling brother.
My only experience was importing OTO! from Play-Asia with no trouble. Now I patiently wait for the thing to ship.
I heard that the reason is the n3DS handhelds are holding it up from other threads. The rumor mill make be with a grain of salt, but it is also why we are not getting regular 3DS in the states as well.

So for those that have received their import systems, what are ya'll currently playing in them?

Right now I'm alternating between Ace Attorbey 123 and Bike Rider DX3. DX3 is stupidly addicting for what is basically an endless runner. AA123 is still all new to me as I missed the original releases and looks fantastic on the 3DS.

I also downloaded the Final Fantasy 3D eShop release last night and played through defeating Garland. The game is based off the PSP release so graphics look great and the 3D is really impressive.

And last, but not least, I'm still toying around with Box Boy and the Badge app on a daily basis as well.

Owari

So for those that have received their import systems, what are ya'll currently playing in them?

Right now I'm alternating between Ace Attorbey 123 and Bike Rider DX3. DX3 is stupidly addicting for what is basically an endless runner. AA123 is still all new to me as I missed the original releases and looks fantastic on the 3DS.

I also downloaded the Final Fantasy 3D eShop release last night and played through defeating Garland. The game is based off the PSP release so graphics look great and the 3D is really impressive.

And last, but not least, I'm still toying around with Box Boy and the Badge app on a daily basis as well.

Is Final Fantasy 3D playable of you don't know a lick of Japanese? I'm playing Smash and Pokemon.. And the badge app. What is box boy?

Drago

Just bought a white New 3DS and a Groudon/Kyogre cover plate off Amazon JP. Woop. Also bought an orange cover plate off Nippon Yasan a few days ago.

So ready for this system. Now I just need the Gateway update to play my NA games on it.

rpmurphy

Shieeeeeeeeeeeet, all these new themes today.

5 Legend of Legacy
3 New Etrian Odyssey 2
3 Tales of Graces
1 Atelier Rorona

...and two I don't know where it's from (SHOW BY ROCK!!, some eShop game?), but looks cute.

Hattori

Banned
I get my n3DS on friday!
4n0kh6j.gif

I know most here don't really advocate for Play-Asia but it seems they have the standard New 3DS on sale for $166.99 and the charger stands on sale for $11.49, so I really want to take the plunge as I know it'll be here by Friday morning (via FedEx) as I wish to take both my New LL and the standard New to a gaming convention I'm wotking at this weekend (trying to raise awareness for #OperationFaceplateNA and have the two models to compare side by side)

Edit: Forgot to also mention that VideoGamesNewYork will be at this convention as well. I gave them a call to ask if they carried faceplates for the n3DS and they said they did, so I requested that they bring some to the convention so I could possibly purchase some

I mean, you can find it cheaper on other sites and not have to bother with customs. My understanding is that a shipment from play-asia can take awhile

I actually never have a problem with customs when ordering from PlayAsia (*knocks on wood*) and they usually ship to me in a very timely manner. I had actually contacted Nippon Yasan via Skype and they said an order placed tonight would ship Monday

rpmurphy

Edit: Forgot to also mention that VideoGamesNewYork will be at this convention as well. I gave them a call to ask if they carried faceplates for the n3DS and they said they did, so I requested that they bring some to the convention so I could possibly purchase some
Nice, I hope if they come to Momo-con in Atlanta they'll carry them. Tell them to have the MonHun ones, if possible. lol

Would someone recommend a Japanese game to purchase along side a Japanese n3DS for someone who does not speak the language? :)

Any genre is fine. Just looking for unique experience that I won't see here
My preference is always rhythm games. Taiko no Tatsujin and Project Mirai series on the 3DS are good.

ryushe

I'm playing Bravely Default for the sequel on my n3DS with a helping of Super Mario 3D Land (absolutely love that game), Box Boy and Monster Hunter 4.

Also, I assume that the FF doesn't have an English language option?

Oh, and does anyone have any thoughts on The Little Battler Wars?

Koppai

Ugh why is the New Nintendo 3DS Kyogre edition sold out, I want that faceplate, and the Groudon one too. I realize they made a separate one but ;-;

So tempted to order one :(

DoctorZ

I actually never have a problem with customs when ordering from PlayAsia (*knocks on wood*) and they usually ship to me in a very timely manner. I had actually contacted Nippon Yasan via Skype and they said an order placed tonight would ship Monday

Amazon+Tenso, you can get one for around $160 shipped and can add stuff onto the order from Amazon for small increases in shipping.

FZZ

Banned
I just bought one from Play Asia, it's my first time importing a console so will it be relatively easy to use and understand if I've used and own an OG 3DS even though I don't read Japanese?

Also what are the chances of region-free being viable since the browser exploit was recently found to work on the OG 3DS, I know the n3DS has a different browser but knowing the overall chances of playing region free would be nice.

Koppai

I just bought one from Play Asia, it's my first time importing a console so will it be relatively easy to use and understand if I've used and own an OG 3DS even though I don't read Japanese?

Also what are the chances of region-free being viable since the browser exploit was recently found to work on the OG 3DS, I know the n3DS has a different browser but knowing the overall chances of playing region free would be nice.

I don't think you should have too much trouble unless you are playing a story heavy game. However, Google came out with a new translation app that can translate text from pictures. :eek:

DQM2's pretty cool so far. I just joined the circus. Took me a while to figure out what to do because I saw that he wanted me to whistle but I just skipped past his explanation of how to whistle because I thought what I was doing was whistling.

Turns out I was pressing the wrong direction on the d-pad. Oh, if only I had actually read his explanation of how to whistle from the get-go... Lesson learned?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Ugh why is the New Nintendo 3DS Kyogre edition sold out, I want that faceplate, and the Groudon one too. I realize they made a separate one but ;-;

So tempted to order one :(

Where is it sold out? Still available from Amazon.co.jp last I checked. It's the one I have coming. :)

By the way, does anyone have a link to a translated guide to do a system transfer? I'm going to need to transfer my Japanese 3DS LL over. Also, this is a long shot, but is there any feasible way to change my NNID on my Japanese 3DS?

For the importers, do you guys use tenso to forward your packages? I am feeling a little weird about their proof of identification. If anyone knows, do you have to send a new document any time you want to ship to a different address?

Has anyone else ordered their console from Nippon-Yasan? I ordered mine on Monday morning and it is still showing as "Preparing to ship" on their website. How long does that normally take?

tiijj

Has anyone else ordered their console from Nippon-Yasan? I ordered mine on Monday morning and it is still showing as "Preparing to ship" on their website. How long does that normally take?

I ordered mine on monday night (tuesday there) and I'm in the same situation as you. I ordered a couple of amiibo's from them. It seems so random, one was shipped minutes after the "Preparation in progress" and the other one was like 5 days after.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Nippon-Yassan can sometimes be slow getting stuff out, but they are reliable.

kunonabi

Mostly EX Troopers since it seemed like the game that benefit the most from the N3DS. Game is a lot more wordy than expected. I'm probably going end up still using my Orange LL for some games since it's easier for me to read the kanji on that. I did put in Time Travelers for a spin on my N3DS and it has furigana so I'll probably play it on the N3DS as well.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

I ordered mine last thursday, shipped on monday, arrived yesterday. They are a bit slow but I'm happy with their prices.

That said, I love my n3ds. Screen is so much nicer than my old LL. :)

Beckx

Okay, stupid question. I scored replacement icons from the badge game, but how do I replace the stock icon with the new one? All I seem to be able to do is to put the new icon down, but the old icon stays there too. So now instead of one settings app icon I have two. I do not want two.

Impotaku

Okay, stupid question. I scored replacement icons from the badge game, but how do I replace the stock icon with the new one? All I seem to be able to do is to put the new icon down, but the old icon stays there too. So now instead of one settings app icon I have two. I do not want two.

Make a folder and hide all the original icons in there. The badge game icons do not replace the original ones they are just working shortcuts.

DoctorZ

A bit premature to start recommending the card to people who don't bring it up. Using it will probably mean not updating the firmware, not accessing the eShop, etc, etc.

Read the thread. It does not require any flash card. It works on 9.4 as well, just 3DS though, no N3DS yet.

It doesn't allow homebrew, pirating or other functions that gateway or other cards might allow, but it allows you to play games from other regions.

Some games don't work (http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Regionthree_Compatibility_List) or have issues, but hopefully this can lead to more work being done by the community to get this to work on the New 3DS as well. But if you have a 3DS right now you can play out of region games, at least those that don't have issues.

On another note, hoping to get my N3DS in a few days. I'm in CA so I'll try and post how long it takes for others curious.
be8JxSU.jpg

Magnus

I just tried out a 3DS XL in a best buy here in Toronto.

The new 3D effect? Magnificent. I was really amazed at how much better it is than the current systems. I actually feel ripped off in a retroactive way. Current 3DS models now feel broken to me with how small their sweet spots are.

The new second analog stick and ZL and ZR Buttons are laughably bad. Playing the Majora's Mask demo had me contorting my hand to reach for and hold ZL for lock on. It was Kid Icarus control scheme levels of bad. So that sucked.

But wow, that new 3D stability. It's selling me on its own.

Ainaurdur

Just jumped in.

Got a standard New 3DS Black and Dairantou Smash Bros.

Probably will place another order in the coming weeks for a couple cover plates and another game or two.

rpmurphy

Make a folder and hide all the original icons in there. The badge game icons do not replace the original ones they are just working shortcuts.
The annoying thing though, is that if you open these apps from the Notification menu (e.g. eShop, StreetPass plaza, etc.) they'll default to open the original apps. :(

The new second analog stick and ZL and ZR Buttons are laughably bad. Playing the Majora's Mask demo had me contorting my hand to reach for and hold ZL for lock on. It was Kid Icarus control scheme levels of bad. So that sucked.
Wait, so instead of the outer most L and R buttons functioning as they would, you now have to use the innermost? Is that what you're saying?

If so that's kinda a pain in the ass, no? I dunno why they'd do that.

rpmurphy

Wait, so instead of the outer most L and R buttons functioning as they would, you now have to use the innermost? Is that what you're saying?

If so that's kinda a pain in the ass, no? I dunno why they'd do that.
The L and R buttons are still the same. ZL and ZR are the inner buttons.

They seem fine to me, but I haven't played anything yet that really requires them. All I use them for right now is to page through my home menu.

Mine has been in town since the 19th, but my memory card is still in Frankfurt or someplace, so I can't go pick it (the New 3DS) up yet. Can't test the hardware for defects without the memory card :/

I thought the new 3ds came with a 4GB card.

I'd have to delete almost all of my games/trailers/demos to make the transfer, then I'd have to move whatever's left on the 4GB card to the 32GB card just a few days later. I'd rather wait a couple of extra days. I can go pick up the New 3DS within less than 40 minutes when I need it.

Impotaku

What could someone do with someone else's serial? I've always wondered why people treat them like their credit card numbers.

Absolutely nothing as if somebody was thinking about trying to call nintendo and saying their console was stolen and then using that serial to try and get them to transfer the digital stuff they would also need the NNID. It's a stock N3DS so it doesn't have any games preloaded into it besides the usual factory preloaded AR games/faceraiders stuff, any other new digital purchase from the e-shop would require a NNID so they wouldn't have that.

Also with it been an import system they would have to call Nintendo Japan, hope they have enough fluent Japanese to talk to the customer service rep hehe.

I think the person who posted the pic doesn't have much to worry about.

20cent

Banned
using it for warranty, registration, for a possible matching serial/region once flashing a full region change is made possible to access the eshop, etc...

Top Bottom