• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Fixed my problem! For the record this issue happens on every kind of 3DS (2DS included) and is solved by changing the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4. The English equivalent of my error message is something like "Error while updating! System is restarting."

Juice

Fixed my problem! For the record this issue happens on every kind of 3DS (2DS included) and is solved by changing the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4. The English equivalent of my error message is something like "Error while updating! System is restarting."

Yeah it's possible that your ISP's default DNS just didn't get along well with nintendo's client software.

Josephl64

It happens on my 3DSLL, but there's apparently nothing that can be done for me :/

Owari

Anyone else find dust begin to build on the sides of their screen? You go to wipe it off and it just gets pushed to the side of the screen where the lip of the screen is? My screen protector SHOULD arrive this week or the next and I don't want the dust on the lip of the screen to interfere with it when I put it on. Might want to invest in one of these...
81WDVkSdXNL._SL1500_.jpg

This has happened to me with literally every DS model. The solution is a microfiber cloth + nails, unfortunately. Just gotta keep up with it.

Juice

Sigh I really want to create a club Nintendo account but I have no physical games and I'm going all digital.

Any way for me to get a code so I can sign up for an account before splurging on a bunch of games???

DoctorZ

Sigh I really want to create a club Nintendo account but I have no physical games and I'm going all digital.

Any way for me to get a code so I can sign up for an account before splurging on a bunch of games???

Check ebay, saw a couple on there for a few bucks.

Are there any benefits to having a club nintendo account if you don't buy a ton of games to redeem codes?

Are there any benefits to having a club nintendo account if you don't buy a ton of games to redeem codes?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151556142296

Not sure if you can register a new JP CN account with an accessory code, but it's worth a try.

Juice

I'm buying via the eshop so it'll register with club Nintendo. Stupidly the first purchase has to be physical

GamerJM

Banned
Okay, so for people who own a New 3DS, are the buttons and D-Pad different from the ones currently on the 3DS XL, and if so how? I've owned every single model of DS and 3DS in the past and the different D-Pads and buttons were usually the main factors in me upgrading.

Just redeemed a code for 3D Picross from Club Nintendo, JP, and I have no idea of what I'm doing. Never played a picos game before.

Anyone have a good guide on how to play these picos games? Is it like sudoku?

20cent

Banned
Just redeemed a code for 3D Picross from Club Nintendo, JP, and I have no idea of what I'm doing. Never played a picos game before.

numbers show you how many sequences of "pixels" in a row/column. How many empty boxes between them is for you to find out.

for example (0 are filled squares, x are empty/manually crossed when you are sure they are empty):

2 3 1 -> 00xxxxx000xxxx0

now you can start playing

edit: didn't notice you were talking about the 3D version, but it is still the same thing, numbers tell you how many cubes to keep.

DoctorZ

Just watch a video of the game being played, maybe the english version. It's fairly easy to pick up once you get the mechanics.

Okay, so for people who own a New 3DS, are the buttons and D-Pad different from the ones currently on the 3DS XL, and if so how? I've owned every single model of DS and 3DS in the past and the different D-Pads and buttons were usually the main factors in me upgrading.

I didn't own an XL but the dpad on the regular N3DS feels exactly the same as the standard 3DS minus the icky slippery/shiny feeling. The buttons feel a little better but are mostly the same, I think. The ZL and ZR buttons are placed a bit awkwardly and were clearly designed for someone with smaller hands than I. In general the feel is really really nice, although the second "stick" is maybe the worst part. Maybe there's a sensitivity setting somewhere in the menus but by default you have to press it super hard to get it to register movement, so hard your finger basically slides off.

DoctorZ

Amazon package was delivered to Tenso yesterday morning (Japan time), but I guess it takes them a bit to process. How long is it typically until I can consolidate/pay the usage fee? Do you think they will process it today when the open?

Juice

FWIW this worked great. $1.99 and 30 minutes later I had the code.

It actually took me longer to get through the ridiculous sign-up form (half the fields want single-byte chars and half want double-byte chars; how Japanese folk put up with this shit is beyond me)

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked!

Yeah, the sign-up process is absurdly complicated.

i23mix

Has anyone ordered from Superufo? Any adcice regarding shipping choices and customs to ship to US?

I actually ordered a n3DS from there. I picked EMS. It got sent back to them since they won't allow batteries to be shipped via Air. Kinda strange since I've read that other Gaffers received their PS Vitas just fine. They want an extra $10 to ship it via FedEx. I'm guessing the safe option is to go with the FedEx shipping if you're ordering from them.

I got my North American New 3DS XL review unit today, just posted an unboxing video and played around with it for awhile. If anyone has any questions about the system or my thoughts on it compared to previous iterations, I'll be happy to answer!

Owari

I got my North American New 3DS XL review unit today, just posted an unboxing video and played around with it for awhile. If anyone has any questions about the system or my thoughts on it compared to previous iterations, I'll be happy to answer!

How does the aliasing compare to the OG XL with the 3D turned on? Also, which firmware did it ship with? Thank you!

How does the aliasing compare to the OG XL with the 3D turned on? Also, which firmware did it ship with? Thank you!

No problem! The aliasing looks pretty comparable to me. I've tried out both Ocarina of Time 3D and Kingdom Hearts 3D on the New 3DS XL, and they both look pretty much identical on the New 3DS XL and original 3DS XL with the 3D on (aside from the wider 3D viewing angle on the former, of course). If you're basically wondering if the aliasing with the 3D on has been toned down at all, no, it hasn't that I can tell.

As for the firmware, I don't know its specific version number off-hand, but when I first turned on the New 3DS XL it had the somewhat recent firmware that introduced themes. I had to do a system update to bump it up to the current version (which introduced automatic shuffling between multiple themes).

Anyone any thoughts on using the XL system to play dialogue portrait heavy JRPGS like Soul Hackers, SMT IV, FEA, DeSu… etc

Do you find the enlarged screen of the XL to be especially worse on the dialogue 2D portraits?

Or do you actually find the enlarged screen much easier in terms of seeing more details of character designs?

Honest answers pls

akileese

Wow. I was actually thinking about getting it set up like you did once I get my N3DS. Does that mean the requirement for club nintendo codes will be gone?

I just set mine up yesterday (got a free code from someone off Reddit) but if I were one of the people in this thread who paid for codes, I'd be pretty pissed off.

How many coins do games give you on average for physical copies. I wanted to get Youkai Watch 1&2 and if I have any hope of getting anything decent, I'd consider going physical.

DoctorZ

Tenso finally processed my Amazon shipments. Looking back I thought I saw someone say that Tenso calculated their XL weight at 600g. My regular N3DS got calculated at 620g which feels a bit high to me.

So for anyone curious one faceplate and N3DS was calculated at a total 720g ($22). For some reason I have a hard time believing my package actually weighs almost 1.6lb, but whatever can't do anything about it now.

Anyways, it is in consolidation now so I guess I won't be able to pay until Tenso processes it later today and it won't get shipped until the next day.

Total for an imported N3DS from Amazon+Tenso

$141.75 + $20.4= $162.15

About $5 cheaper than Nippon-Yasan with the added benefit of buying extra stuff cheaper from AmazonJP.

kubus

I just set mine up yesterday (got a free code from someone off Reddit) but if I were one of the people in this thread who paid for codes, I'd be pretty pissed off.

How many coins do games give you on average for physical copies. I wanted to get Youkai Watch 1&2 and if I have any hope of getting anything decent, I'd consider going physical.

I got registered Youkai Watch and Youkai Watch Shinuchi and got 20 coins for each.

Btw does anyone know if there's a way to get points for digital games? I bought a download code of Alpha Sapphire from Amazon Japan and it shows up in my registration history, but I wasn't awarded any points for it :(

ryushe

I'm like 60 points away from the A Link Between World's soundtrack. Thank goodness for this sale going on right now.

Btw does anyone know if there's a way to get points for digital games? I bought a download code of Alpha Sapphire from Amazon Japan and it shows up in my registration history, but I wasn't awarded any points for it :(
That's odd. Is there a way to check for the code via your email or Amazon itself?

bms2993

Banned
There's a certain novelty to having a Japanese 3DS, but I'm afraid that novelty might wear off soon. Here's hoping Gateway will prevail!

kubus

That's odd. Is there a way to check for the code via your email or Amazon itself?
Oh, is the Japanese Club Nintendo different in that you still need to manually enter a registration code even if it's a download? If so I may have to dig in my mailbox to see if I can find it...

Pics_nao

It feels so natural for me to go from an XL to a n3DS. Fuck Nintendo for not bringing this over. Sitting on firmware 8.1 so I'm not updating or even connecting this to the Internet just to be safe >_>

Playing Senran Kagura 2 while I wait. Might get smash if it's a cheap import since I lost my us copy.

Boogiepop

So, what's the deal with Post Play Surveys on Club Nintendo Japan? I registered some games like 2 weeks ago and yet I don't seem to have any, according to the tab. Hm... Also I'm sitting at like 70 points, so I guess I've got to keep clinging to the vague hope that maybe Club Nintendo Picross+ will still somehow end up there before the thing closes down... though since they already seem to have added a ton of games that seems doubtful...

Might be wrong on this but I don't believe CN Japan does post-play surveys. I think you gain extra points based on early registration, though unlike in the US where it's either early or it isn't there are increments based on how far from release you register.

ryushe

Oh, is the Japanese Club Nintendo different in that you still need to manually enter a registration code even if it's a download? If so I may have to dig in my mailbox to see if I can find it...
No, it's automatically listed on Club Nintendo once you purchase and download a game. I was just trying to workshop a few ideas as to where your code could be since its weird that it isn't associated with the download code you purchased.

Speaking of, is there some kind of pro to buying a download code via Amazon vs. straight from the eShop? I assume there's a price difference, but how much, if at all?

Edit:
Any thoughts on The Little Battler Wars? Thinking about buying it since it's on sale, but then I found out it's a pseudo real-time strategy game...

Garou

I got registered Youkai Watch and Youkai Watch Shinuchi and got 20 coins for each.

You actually get double-points on the 3DS-eShop. You have to link your CN-account in the eShop-settings, then after you bought/redeemed something you can do a survey ~12 hours later which will grant you your points. Check your CN-page for blue notification-dots.

AllenShrz

Is the quality sound of still shit?

It always frustrated me how bad the quality is from the original DS, the 3DS and now I wonder about his one.

Im talking about only the quality while using headphones, not the volume or inbuilt speakers.

Prophane33

Copying and Pasting post from another thread. Sorry in advance to anyone who reads it here and there :)

So, question:

1) let's say I have a Japanese n3DS, k? I play a US ver Monster Hunter 4 on it. Can I play online?

2) for whatever reason, i want to play the same game card on a US based n3DS later, can i move my save file over and carry on?

Basically I just want all physical games from the U.S to play on a Japanese n3DS. I just want to fully understand any limitations. I know game saves are locked to region of game card. I am not worried about eShop, digital games or domestic NNID.

Thank you very much :)

AFAIK unless you resort to extra-legal means (that may or may not even work) you can ONLY play JP 3ds games on a JP 3ds and US 3ds games on a US 3DS. Eshop games are also region locked due to the region locked nature of the eshop (e.g. can only access the JP eshop on a JP 3DS). Long story short, the 3DS is region locked.

Juice

Copying and Pasting post from another thread. Sorry in advance to anyone who reads it here and there :)

So, question:

1) let's say I have a Japanese n3DS, k? I play a US ver Monster Hunter 4 on it. Can I play online?

2) for whatever reason, i want to play the same game card on a US based n3DS later, can i move my save file over and carry on?

Basically I just want all physical games from the U.S to play on a Japanese n3DS. I just want to fully understand any limitations. I know game saves are locked to region of game card. I am not worried about eShop, digital games or domestic NNID.

Thank you very much :)

You can't do this at all. The 3DS is region locked

Prophane33

Wow, I'm having a rough time joining the JP N3DS community. Its been over a week and my New 3DS, and 4 games has not even been picked up by DHL after 2 days (and after SJ gave me a coupon due to the 5~6 days it even took my order to "ship"), now it's been marked as "awaiting pickup" for 2~3 days. Never had an issue like this before from Amiami (or any other import shop).

Don't even get me started on my order of a Luigi cover plate and Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives from Nin Nin Game which is just marked "pre-order confirmed" (what pre-order?) for the last 3 days (though honestly this isn't a problem unless it doesn't ship tomorrow.).

Kind of want to cancel everything and go the Play-Asia or Amazon+Tenso route. It may be more expensive but at least I know I'll have everything within a week. Blah. Just venting. Been importing games for the last 17 years and this is supposed to be my first non-used Japanese console, never had any issue with customs or things taking so damn long, so just really frustrated.

Top Bottom