• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jared Leto to Star as Hugh Hefner in Biopic

Link.

Jared Leto, 45, will soon be donning the iconic silk pajamas and smoking jacket of Playboy founder Hugh Hefner, who died Sept. 27 at age 91, for an upcoming biopic from Brett Ratner.

"Jared is an old friend," says Ratner, 48, who will direct the film. "When he heard I got the rights to Hef's story, he told me, 'I want to play him. I want to understand him.' And I really believe Jared can do it. He's one of the great actors of today."

The project is in early development with Ratner's RatPac Entertainment. The director-producer has been set on helming the movie since 2007, when it was initially set up at Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment. Robert Downey Jr. had once been attached to play Hef.

When the rights expired, they were purchased by producer Jerry Weintraub (Ocean's Eleven, HBO's Westworld) for Warner Bros. After Weintraub died in 2015, Ratner snapped up the rights for his own company. Says Ratner, "My goal is to do the motion picture as an event."

In April, Ratner invited Leto to the Playboy Mansion for the premiere of Amazon's docuseries American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story, which doubled as a celebration of Hefner turning 91.

Ratner had hoped to introduce Leto to the man he'd be playing on the big screen, but Hefner was in failing health and not greeting guests that day. But Ratner isn't worried. "There's enough footage on Hef out there that Jared will be able to get as much information as he wants," he says.

Ratner also plans to reboot the Hefner-hosted, late-1960s talk show Playboy After Dark.

strafer

geez, is Leto going to play every damn character now?

will he go full meta like he did with The Jolker?

Hydrus

I'm just not a fan of Leto. He's not a bad actor or anything, just comes off really full of himself, even when acting.

A combination of things that could only be made in the darkest timeline.

giphy.gif

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Nice. Can't wait to see him in full costume with "I <3 boobs" tattooed on his forehead.

Blader

Because it implies she has made good career choices since Suicide Squad while Leto has not. And there is literally no basis for that. It's a silly comment.

Robbie is getting Oscar buzz for I, Tonya. Leto is starring in a Brett Ratner movie. Seems like plenty of a basis to me!

Leto:
Whelp, I guess I just have to spend three months banging models now. For the craft.
Who will receive my used condoms this time? Decisions decisions.

Bronx-Man

Banned
For the longest time, I thought the used condom thing was just some story from the Onion that everyone on Twitter was posting.

They need a comedic actor to play this role, like a Steve Carrell.

Or a young Kurt Russell. I can't think of any young actor with huge swagger right now.

Oh directed by Brett Razner? It doesn't matter I am out.

For the longest time, I thought the used condom thing was just some story from the Onion that everyone on Twitter was posting.

I believe I had heard that they were used in the sense that they were out of their packaging. They didn't literally have jizz in them.

Still creepy, nasty, disgusting, vile, and wildly inappropriate though, don't get me wrong.

Top Bottom