• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jennifer Lawrence On Her X-MEN Future: 'Fox Should Be Terrified'

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

I'm starting to really dislike Lawrence. She has become way too smug.

Hate is one thing but saying she's a bad actress is just wrong, fact is she is one of the best young working actresses in Hollywood today.

And she must be doing something right.

8XeJPc8.png
The Academy loves her, that's different than being the best. Her performances in Joy and American Hustle didn't deserve those nominations.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
She doesn't phone any of those roles in.

Joy is a terrible movie, but she's working.

We evidently disagree. I developed an interest in Lawrence's career following WB and none of the performances she's displayed since securing mainstream success have impressed me even remotely as much. Not all that is her fault, of course, but there's a distinct rawness and sincerity that punctuates emotional scenes in her formative projects that I feel is missing in later ones. She has, in her post-THG years, continually failed to convince me that she's the character she's portraying, and what frustrates me is that I know she can do better, which is why I chose the phrase that I did. The performances aren't necessarily bad, but all are below what she's truly capable of.

In fewer words, I get the impression that she no longer aims as high as she once did. And that's a shame.

Farsi

The Academy loves her, that's different than being the best. Her performances in Joy and American Hustle didn't deserve those nominations.

Her accent in American Hustle was bad. Like really bad, shit you hear from a year one student at a community acting school. She was lucky to have Bale and Adams to build off of, both of which deserved their noms without a doubt.

a.wd

Mackavoy and fassbender should stay, they partner fabulously together. Lawrence? I love her as an actress and person but you can tell she doesn't give a shit. Watch her on Graham Norton just straight not giving a fuck about the character.

Also her performance in the film was the weakest of the whole cast, including psylocke who had like 3 lines. She hates being blue and the justifications they say in the film for why she isn't is just poor.

To have such a situation with a character that could be done by a different actress in each movie and would still make sense, it's kind of funny for me.
I like Jlaw but yeah, I'm more one the xavier/magneto train.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
JLaw is the worst actor in the Xmen franchise. That's saying something in a franchise that had Vinnie Jones, Olivia Munn and Jessica Jones.

JLaw is the worst actor in the Xmen franchise. That's saying something in a franchise that had Vinnie Jones, Olivia Munn and Jessica Jones.

Olivia Munn is supposed to be a bad actress now? I quite enjoyed her stint in the Newsroom on HBO. And she was fine with whatever material she had in Apocalypse IMO.

She's terrible in this and her mystique looks terrible with that big lumpy head. Losing her is a win for the franchise.

Old mystique >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jlaw's mystique.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Making Mystique a major character in these movies was always the weirdest decision. Totally out of character for the character.

Making Mystique a major character in these movies was always the weirdest decision. Totally out of character for the character.

A decision made to lure Lawrence no doubt. Despite that, her character is poor in every respect. Hank, Charles and Erik are the only standout characters in this series. Head and shoulders above the rest.

I hope we get an emo Scott going forward. I miss the unstable Cyclops.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

yeah, but they had the opportunity to cash in on the fact that Jennifer Lawrence became a huge star (remember, First Class came out before Hunger Games), so of course they "had to" make her character a bigger part of the movies

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
yeah, but they had the opportunity to cash in on the fact that Jennifer Lawrence became a huge star (remember, First Class came out before Hunger Games), so of course they "had to" make her character a bigger part of the movies

True, but she was also a pretty big part of First Class.

It's kind of funny she's trying to threaten fox when she's been terrible and it's actually sucked them switching focus so she's a main character. I like Fassbender but not the end if leaves, McAvoy leaving would suck but I kind of doubt he will even if the other two do.

highrider

Banned
Seriously, the great thespian tradition of the X-men movies? She's a good actress in roles suited for her, but I'm not getting her as a bad Mystique. She's serviceable, like most of the other actors. Hugh Jackman, Fassbender and Patrick Stewart excelled in their roles, but Mystique was always more of an ancillary character anyway. She's wildly popular, and she puts people in theaters to see her. Most importantly, she brings in people that aren't necessarily action/superhero devotees.

Phamit

Nah JLaw, Fox is chilling

They could drop any of them and still make a lot of money. Thanks do DOFP they could make an Cyclops or Jean Grey School in present time, could back old Mystique or cast anyone different who doesn't have a problem to wear blue make up. They could add Deadpool and probably make a even higher grossing Movie than new X-Men movies.

.JayZii

Banned
I wouldn't mind a few x-men movies without Mystique at all. The Mystique role is also the most easily replaceable.

I haven't liked Lawrence much in any of her recent roles. Her novelty has worn off and I think we're starting to see the limitations of her current abilities.

I think she has a lot of potential, but it feels like she is resting on her laurels, currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom