• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jennifer Lawrence On Her X-MEN Future: 'Fox Should Be Terrified'

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Hate is one thing but saying she's a bad actress is just wrong, fact is she is one of the best young working actresses in Hollywood today.

And she must be doing something right.

8XeJPc8.png

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm guessing that this is one of those situations where she thinks she has an agreement in her head with McAvoy and Fassbender but they don't lol.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Hate is one thing but saying she's a bad actress is just wrong, fact is she is one of the best young working actresses in Hollywood today.

8XeJPc8.png

She was quite bad in DoFP tbh, I re-watched it yesterday and she was phoning in the role (especially when she was in blue makeup). I can't imagine how bad she must be in Apocalypse.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
She was quite bad in DoFP tbh, I re-watched it yesterday and she was phoning in the role (especially when she was in blue makeup). I can't imagine how bad she must be in Apocalypse.

I don't even think she's bad, she just looks bored and disinterested. It's not so bad in a group, but any 1-on-1 scene falls flat.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

8XeJPc8.png
She clearly isn't a bad actress, but I don't think anyone can say these films are her best work. It's precisely because she's a good actress that you get the distinct feeling she really doesn't want to be there and if not for the money she wouldn't. You get the distinct sense that she's really phoning it, which becomes much more apparent when you see Mcavory actually putting some effort into his role in the exact same scene.

I believe it's case of your better off with a mediocre to good actor that actually tried than a good to great actor that doesn't. If this was a football team she's probably be benched and transferred/sold and everyone would be better off for it.

Question: Has ANYONE actually been sold on seeing a movie based star power?

I mean, okay, MAYBE it's one thing if it's someone playing a lead character like Hugh Jackman or RDJ. But a supporting character like JLaw in this case? Nobody went to see X-men cause of you, darlin'.

That's what Marvel has been doing with Cumberbatch and Johannson and soon Emily Blunt.

This whole JLaw whining is caused by Fox signed up a bunch of up and coming actors for cheap and have been milking their star power for maximum profit. All the other actors are professionals and fulfill their boring media hype circuit tour duty, only JLaw has been finding all kind of angles to whine about it.

Even Edward Norton was being very professional after he got booted out of Marvel.

Deadpool is a decade long, trying to get made, passion project in which the Director needed to blackmail the studio (using the internet) to get it green-lit, and the studio still ended up cutting 8 million of its already small budget because they didn't believe in it. I wouldn't put much stock into the X-men brand until we see how well X:A does. imo if all three actors left, with Jackman leaving after Wolverine 3. this franchise under fox is as good as dead (we are talking Fant4stic levels here), excluding Deadpool since now Fox will have the confidence to keep things cheap while raking in a good profit at worst. So if Jennifer Lawrence is telling the truth expect Fox to bow down.

I don't see how this disproves what I said? Deadpool, was easily the highest grossing film in the franchise despite having almost no star power. Even if they lost all 4 of the stars for future films, I don't think it would hurt FOX that much as long as the quality of the movies they made were up to snuff.

The whole idea that you need big stars in order to get people to see a movie is outdated as hell.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
She clearly isn't a bad actress, but I don't think anyone can say these films are her best work. It's precisely because she's a good actress that you get the distinct feeling she really doesn't want to be there and if not for the money she wouldn't. You get the distinct sense that she's really phoning it, which becomes much more apparent when you see Mcavory actually putting some effort into his role in the exact same scene.

She actually (half jokingly) admits it herself.

https://youtu.be/-S9DkEcCoqs?t=10m34s

BLACKLAC

I don't see how this disproves what I said? Deadpool, was easily the highest grossing film in the franchise despite having almost no star power. Even if they lost all 4 of the stars for future films, I don't think it would hurt FOX that much as long as the quality of the movies they made were up to snuff.

The whole idea that you need big stars in order to get people to see a movie is outdated as hell.

I'm basically saying Fox got lucky with Deadpool. And it wouldn't take much for the franchise to end up back in the dark ages (early 2000's). The stars they have on X-men is imo what has kept them afloat, you take that away and suddenly they have to lean very heavy on their script work and action. Both of which aren't their strong suit (excluding Deadpool).

I'm basically saying Fox got lucky with Deadpool. And it wouldn't take much for the franchise to end up back in the dark ages (early 2000's). The stars they have on X-men is imo what has kept them afloat, you take that away and suddenly they have to lean very heavy on their script work and action. Both of which aren't their strong suit (excluding Deadpool).

X men First Class, had all three (Lawrence, McAvoy, Fassbender) and was the lowest grossing X men film in the US (Aside from the Wolverine (Which also had another of the series big stars)). So again I reiterate. Whether or not people go to see these films has little to do with whose in them.

y2dvd

I must admit I thought First Class was hella mediocre and a large part was due to Jlaw's performance in the movie. She got a little better in DoFP but not by much. These trailers for Apocalypse ain't doing her any favors.

BLACKLAC

X men First Class, had all three (Lawrence, McAvoy, Fassbender) and was the lowest grossing X men film in the US (Aside from the Wolverine (Which also had another of the series big stars)). So again I reiterate. Whether or not people go to see these films has little to do with whose in them.

That has a lot to do with it being the first film after said dark ages. Was the same situation with Batman Begins.

That has a lot to do with it being the first film after said dark ages. Was the same situation with Batman Begins.

Yeah but if star power was so important that wouldn't have mattered right? Again X men is a popular enough brand that people will go see it, regardless of who stars in it. As long as Fox doesn't drop the ball again, they should be fine. Worst comes to worst they could just do another soft reboot like they did with First Class, and bring in new stars.

BLACKLAC

Yeah but if star power was so important that wouldn't have mattered right? Again X men is a popular enough brand that people will go see it, regardless of who stars in it. As long as Fox doesn't drop the ball again, they should be fine. Worst comes to worst they could just do another soft reboot like they did with First Class, and bring in new stars.

I just don't have much confidence in Fox being able to not drop the ball. They did it last year with Fant4stic and it looks like they did it again this year with X:A, we'll see how the box-office run looks for that. Deadpool could end up saving their ass and they didn't even want it. This isn't a particularly great studio when it comes to genre fare.

And Batman is a major brand, yet Batman Begins made lass than 375 ww. Brand isn't everything.

I just don't have much confidence in Fox being able to not drop the ball. They did it last year with Fant4stic and it looks like they did it again this year with X:A, we'll see how the box-office run looks for that. Deadpool could end up saving their ass and they didn't even want it. This isn't a particularly great studio when it comes to genre fare.

And Batman is a major brand, yet Batman Begins made lass than 375 ww. Brand isn't everything.

Batman Begins was the 2nd highest grossing batman film of all time when it came out though (aside from Tim Burton's Batman which was the first Batman film in over 20 years). I do agree that Brand definitely isn't everything though, but I definitely think it matters more than star power. Especially in the case of the X men. Also Apocalypse dropping the ball only proves my point doesn't it? That start power doesn't really matter in the outcome. What Fox needs to focus on is making films that don't suck in my opinion. Who they get to star in them really won't affect the outcome much as we've seen with Deadpool.

kIdMuScLe

What stars? The only star is Jlaw and the rest no one cares. I only know James as prof. X and as that guy in Pride and Prejudice. Magneto guy is only known as magneto and the guy in Alien and that's it... Don't know what other movies he came out on.

Except for maybe McAvoy, none of those people were nearly as famous when First Class came out.

Lawrence's biggest movie prior was Winter's Bone. Hunger Games didn't come out until the year after. Fassbender's most well known role was probably his scene in Inglorious Bastaerds.

Get rid of her.

She's a terrible Mystique.

Mystique is supposed to be like her name: mysterious, seductive, and frightening all at the same time. Does anyone get that from J-Law's depiction? I sure don't.

I still don't understand why Mystique has always been in body paint. She wears a white dress in the comics and cartoon, why couldn't she stick with that? It looks much better.

(I think she finally gets something like that in Apocalypse but it's been like four movies.)

megalowho

The franchise could do without all 3. Fassbender is a good actor who fits the role but the writers just recycle the same arc with Magneto, it's a crutch at this point and takes away from the rest of the cast's development.

McAvoy has chops as well and good chemistry with Fassbender but he's far from an iconic Professor X the way Patrick Stewart was, or the way Hugh Jackman oozes Wolverine. Maybe it's the prolonged Young Adventures of Xavier these reboot movies have gone down but I'd be interested in seeing another competent actor take up the mantle with a more traditional take.

Mystique has been overexposed and overused since they started making X-Men movies, how they decided that character was a core pillar while simultaneously dulling her complexities I cannot understand. Let alone Lawrence's uncompelling performance and aversion to the makeup required.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

8XeJPc8.png

Her performance in Winter's Bone is the only one on the list that actually deserves to be there. I think she can be a great actor but simply began phoning it in after THG blew up as she knows roles will come her way regardless.

I can imagine it's been said, but she needs to stop complaining. Even if she didn't know about the extensive makeup process, she is an actress, that signed up to play a completely blue woman in a movie where people can do extraordinary things. On quite a large movie franchise. What did she seriously expect. Yea, there is going to be a lot of make up. Yea, there is going to be a lot of time in a makeup chair. And yea, you will get paid a boatload of money for doing it. Days of Future Past supposedly had the makeup application down to three hours. I've never had to sit in a makeup chair for that long, but if you are making millions of dollars from being in a movie, I'd say three hours of makeup a day is a trade off.

styl3s

Why these are movies, your entertainment will be hampered if the films are full of poor actors and nothing else.
Fox wouldn't be worried about replacing her with a competent actor because there are plenty that would do as good of a job playing Mystique they would be worried about how money they will lose because she isn't in it because believe it or not she has a following and those people buy tickets. She sells movies. J-Law is a fantastic actor but lets be honest her perfomance as Mystique is no Joy or American Hustle.

As for entertainment being hampered by poor actors again she can be replaced by someone who would do just as good of a job.

Olivia Munn and Jennifer Lawrence are kinda hated nowadays ? I don't know why Munn but for me Lawrence is just annoying.
GAF is below the minority when it comes to hating Jenniffer Lawrence she is loved by millions.

GAF is often times hipster when it comes to popular things and people.

Her performance in Winter's Bone is the only one on the list that actually deserves to be there. I think she can be a great actor but simply began phoning it in after THG blew up as she knows roles will come her way regardless.

She doesn't phone any of those roles in.

Joy is a terrible movie, but she's working.

I can imagine it's been said, but she needs to stop complaining. .

"Nimoy needs to just shut up already. He knew what he was getting into. He's rich. He'll keep getting rich. Wearing the ears is part of that. Just shut up and do your job."
--Facebook user, 1968

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Olivia Munn and Jennifer Lawrence are kinda hated nowadays ? I don't know why Munn but for me Lawrence is just annoying.

Probably her association with that G4 show she used to be on, she gets people around here super riled up. She isn't nerdy enough or something, who knows. She put up a video of her doing some stunt work for her role in this and people were analyzing it like the Zapruder tape.

Probably her association with that G4 show she used to be on, she gets people around here super riled up. She isn't nerdy enough or something, who knows. She put up a video of her doing some stunt work for her role in this and people were analyzing it like the Zapruder tape.

Lol Forreal. That thread was freaking embarrassing

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Munn because she is a "fake" nerd. By that, basically for some reason people feel insulted and betrayed she became as big as she was by hosting a show about videogames and supposedly getting her way to the top because she slept with people. Basically a bunch of bullshit.

JLaw, I can't entirely blame them. She clearly doesn't give a shit about Xmen and like said, is probably pissed she got signed for cheap when she was basically a nobody.

PSqueak

Banned
Im retty sure if she leaves, everyone else will come back.

She's not as important (to the franchise) as she thinks.

Azazzel

That's what Marvel has been doing with Cumberbatch and Johannson and soon Emily Blunt.

This whole JLaw whining is caused by Fox signed up a bunch of up and coming actors for cheap and have been milking their star power for maximum profit. All the other actors are professionals and fulfill their boring media hype circuit tour duty, only JLaw has been finding all kind of angles to whine about it.

Even Edward Norton was being very professional after he got booted out of Marvel.

You know you fucked it up when Edward Norton is more professional than you.

jelly

Funny when she said her acting was awful after watching a clip of the latest film on Graham Norton.

I think her character isn't the only current X-Men problem or major part that would fix everything if changed.

After seeing Apocalypse, they closed the loop from prequels to the original trilogy so I don't think we need any further X-Men movies.

Also, this prequel trilogy has absolutely confirmed that Jennifer Lawrence has always been miscast as Mystique. She just can't portray the bad or morally ambiguous side, to the point where she explicitly has to say "I'm not a hero". Her acting is on Hunger Games levels, which is a shame, as she's not given time to shine compared to Winter's Bone or even Silver Linings Playbook. You just can't see her becoming a villain later on. Even if Rebecca Romijn is a model, she was able to convey Mystique's coldness from acting to combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom