• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jennifer Lawrence on why she's returning for 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix'

Scoops312

Banned
Why are you guys saying this? Does she hate the suit?

Yep
For X-Men: Apocalypse, they gave her what she described as "a blue pantyhose that goes around [her] whole body," which was easier to deal with... with one caveat. There was no good way for her to go to the bathroom. Unlike Wolverine, who's basically wearing street clothes, Mystique is put in a most awkward position. Fortunately for Lawrence, movie magic found a way. Unfortunately, that way was just a goddamn funnel.

Yup, Lawrence was expected to pee standing up. Of course, with Mystique's powers limited to shapeshifting and not some kind of urine telekinesis, things didn't always go as planned. Yup, she got some "drips" of piss on her costume which, not surprisingly, led "to a distinct smell." Meaning that X-Men's sexy, kickass character had the aroma of the floor of a bus terminal.

Cipherr

q6IXmI9.jpg

Girl please. Chase them checks. Damn shame though. I absolutely hate her in these latest films. Feels so phoned in.

Slermy

The thing that drives me crazy about movie Mystique is I LIKE Mystique as one of my favorite characters... in the comics.

And none of the traits that I love about her in the comics are anywhere in the film, except her blue skin and shapeshifting ability (to be fair, that's par for the course for the X-men franchise).

In the comics, she's a deeply complex and damaged woman who has lived centuries under assumed aliases before finding love with another woman and disguising herself as a man. This woman also had the gift of prophecy to foretell great calamity and Mystique spent decades trying to prevent the future her lover predicted.

She's the mother of Nightcrawler, with whom her relationship is highly disturbed and corrupted. She always acts to save herself, and discarding her own baby to save her own skin is something that both haunts her yet she justifies to herself time and again.

She's the foster-mother of Rogue, and does care deeply for her surrogate daughter, even allowing her to join her adversaries if that's her ultimate wish and looking out for her time and again despite their clear differences of opinion (while, again, often taking measures against her to save her own skin if need be).

She's a villain in the comics straight-up, but one with enough baggage, ambiguity, and bigotry levied against her to somewhat justify it, along with her own glimpses into the future from Destiny to know that altruism alone won't win the war of genocide against her people.

She's SO interesting in the comics... and so DULL in the recent films.

Which issue/arc is your image from? Any issues/arcs that you'd recommend that focus on this relationship?

Garlador

Which issue/arc is your image from? Any issues/arcs that you'd recommend that focus on this relationship?

Here's a great place to start. It's 12 Pages of summary.

It's hard to sum up her relationship arcs in single stories, unlike some characters, because so much of it was seeds planted over decades worth of storylines.

Uncanny X-men #177-185 have some great moments from way back when.

To me, Mystique is defined in the comics as a very damaged, misguided, but loving mother who had happiness with a family of her own make that fell apart due to her own actions and ego and who spends half her time trying to prove she still loves them and half the time convincing herself she's too damaged to be happy and pushing them away.

She's insanely complicated.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
X-Men have fans? Not according to Marvel.

BTW glad to see J Law back, but dont delude yourselves into thinking that this isnt all about the $$$.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Gotcha. I definitely wouldn't call Mystique her best work but I don't remember it being particularly offensive either. As a person she's always seemed pretty honest and chill to me. And I mean everyone likes to get paid that kinda goes without saying, that doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't give a shit. Not trying to lead the J-law defense force but I like her so I was just curious. lol

shes phoning it in

which would be fine, but the producers see her as a goldmine so they turned the xmen movies into mystique and the xmen

which makes no damn sense at all besides "jlaw is a famous actress"

Top Bottom