• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, in reference to Mr. Aaronology, I liked the film. What I'm counter-pointing is the hyperbole of declaring this "one of the greatest action films of all time." Like, would some people seriously put this in the same breath as Aliens, Predator, Mad Max, Drunken Master (remake), Raid 2, etc.?

(1) That's fine. It has superlative gun and hand-to-hand choreography in the second act, but it is absolutely the same rinse-and-repeat action by Act III. Don't get me wrong: Act II is excellent. That middle 40 minutes is a ton of fun, but the third act is completely deflated by the time it comes around.

(2) Obviously, JW2 is better. I'm simply saying that turning something into a franchise can be problematic, and Taken is a fairly appropriate analogue to this, I feel.

In general, the point I'm making is that I liked the film, but I'm kind of floored by people calling something "one of the greatest action films of all time" when it has:

- A slow first act with way too much table setting (after the great prologue)
- A totally watered down third act (fun house mirrors... because they basically had no other ideas)
- A completely limp villain
- An epilogue that's cool on paper but is sort of ridiculous when you realize that is just sort of stupid
- A hero that has zero vulnerability
- A lack of meaningful dialogue or funny one-liners
- A running time that's 20 minutes too long
- A shocking lack of dynamism for such a strong cast (Ian McShane could do that role in his sleep)

Really, where do you go from here for a third film? For John Wick to be John Wick, the choreography has to kind of stay the same, and I feel that will only hurt the film over time.

Love that 2nd act, though.
I actually thought the prologue was the weakest scene and I loved the first act table-setting because I enjoy the world they are creating. The third act setting was great to watch because of a) the limited resources (one gun, seven bullets), which made it fun to see how he was getting more ammo / weapons throughout, and b) the homage to enter the dragon. I liked the villain because of how smarmy / despicable he was - I was right there with John when facing him at the Continental. I'm not sure what is stupid about the epilogue within the context of the world they've built. It got me excited to watch part 3 - in fact, if part 3 was playing in the theatre next door I would immediately go in and watch. I do agree JW was sometimes protected by the script rather than his own resourcefulness / abilities (a similar thing happened in the first). I didn't need funny one-liners, and I thought the chemistry between JW and Cassian was excellent.

So all this is to say that I can understand where you're coming from, but I think the positive reaction can be explained by the fact that people are genuinely liking the world building that went on here, they like (especially right now) protagonists that are the "best in the world" at whatever skill, they like inventive action choreography, and they personally appreciate Keanu Reeves and how he's thrown himself into the role. There's room to diverge in our opinions, of course, but it shouldn't just be chalked up to hyperbole or people being caught up in the moment. :)

Wigdogger

I actually thought the prologue was the weakest scene and I loved the first act table-setting because I enjoy the world they are creating. The third act setting was great to watch because of a) the limited resources (one gun, seven bullets), which made it fun to see how he was getting more ammo / weapons throughout, and b) the homage to enter the dragon. I liked the villain because of how smarmy / despicable he was - I was right there with John when facing him at the Continental. I'm not sure what is stupid about the epilogue within the context of the world they've built. It got me excited to watch part 3 - in fact, if part 3 was playing in the theatre next door I would immediately go in and watch. I do agree JW was sometimes protected by the script rather than his own resourcefulness / abilities (a similar thing happened in the first). I didn't need funny one-liners, and I thought the chemistry between JW and Cassian was excellent.

So all this is to say that I can understand where you're coming from, but I think the positive reaction can be explained by the fact that people are genuinely liking the world building that went on here, they like (especially right now) protagonists that are the "best in the world" at whatever skill, they like inventive action choreography, and they personally appreciate Keanu Reeves and how he's thrown himself into the role. There's room to diverge in our opinions, of course, but it shouldn't just be chalked up to hyperbole or people being caught up in the moment. :)

Hey, thanks for taking the time to engage what I said. That's all I was really interested in hearing from some people. Again, I like the film, but I found some of the comments pretty out of sync with what I'd call a truly "great" action film. Good to hear some sound points for it, though.

I guess I wish the "only seven bullets" idea went further, as they dropped that pretty quick, but still fun, I guess. Him and Cassian did have a fairly amusing back and forth, so I definitely agree there. I actually would've liked more of D'Antonio's sister, as the film needed some kind of femme fatale, frankly. To each their own on the first act, I guess.

I guess as far as world building, I just thought that it was interesting at a surface level, and
the Act II reveal of the assassins was pretty neat, but if the conceit going forward is that basically everyone is an assassin
, well, I think that's pretty silly. It sounds cool on paper, but it will be hard to make it work on the screen. He at least was on the run, so that was some danger.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to engage what I said. That's all I was really interested in hearing from some people. Again, I like the film, but I found some of the comments pretty out of sync with what I'd call a truly "great" action film. Good to hear some sound points for it, though.

I guess I wish the "only seven bullets" idea went further, as they dropped that pretty quick, but still fun, I guess. Him and Cassian did have a fairly amusing back and forth, so I definitely agree there. I actually would've liked more of D'Antonio's sister, as the film needed some kind of femme fatale, frankly. To each their own on the first act, I guess.

I guess as far as world building, I just thought that it was interesting at a surface level, and
the Act II reveal of the assassins was pretty neat, but if the conceit going forward is that basically everyone is an assassin
, well, I think that's pretty silly. It sounds cool on paper, but it will be hard to make it work on the screen. He at least was on the run, so that was some danger.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Right back atcha! :) Oh, and I agree that it did feel at the end that they'll need to do some work to explain how this world is reasonable and sustainable. And so that could definitely be where part 3 drops the ball.

Grifter

You know that incredible scene in Collateral where Cruise stops a dude, then has to take a pause to reload and finish him off? JW2 is that expanded to feature length, so I have to agree it's one of the best action movies ever made.

Those one-offs as he returns to NYC in the middle were so satisfyingly brutal.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I really enjoyed this movie but did anyone else find Keanu's acting kind of... bad?

He had very little dialogue but every line he delivered, even single words, was so awful. My friend pointed it out as well.

norm9

I really enjoyed this movie but did anyone else find Keanu's acting kind of... bad?

He had very little dialogue but every line he delivered, even single words, was so awful. My friend pointed it out as well.

He seemed tired and slightly tubby regardless of a tactical suit armor. But I guess the character was supposed to be that way since he's always just finished with a crazy fight.

Gitaroo

Just saw the movie, enjoyed it but the raid franchise is still way above it. Really wish they would hurry up and make part 3

norm9

Just saw the movie, enjoyed it but the raid franchise is still way above it. Really wish they would hurry up and make part 3

I hope there isn't a part 3 for either frnachise. Seems each movie would have to top their previous movie and both raid and wick went to the edge with their movies, that a 3rd would be ridiculous. I could just be real cautious about the franchises.

Gitaroo

I hope there isn't a part 3 for either frnachise. Seems each movie would have to top their previous movie and both raid and wick went to the edge with their movies, that a 3rd would be ridiculous. I could just be real cautious about the franchises.

I am confidence that those director can top their previous work

Quick

Banned
I had a John Wick marathon today.

I watched the first one on Netflix earlier in the day for the first time ever (it was pretty good), and Chapter 2 tonight.

Chapter 2 was better than the first. I like that John Wick's world is a bit more expanded, but I also kind of missed the smallness of the first movie. In any case, it was a natural progression from the personal story of Chapter 1 to the larger scope of Chapter 2. What Chapter 2 does well is simply not straying from the formula while padding up its world-building.

The only thing that I've really questioned is the role of The Continental in both movies. My impression of it from Chapter 1 was that it was a central hub and neutral site for assassins managed by Winston, rather than being an organization headed by him as it's portrayed in Chapter 2. But it makes sense for it to be the latter in retrospect. Or did I mix it up?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Both films are set up perfectly for a sequel

Wick's would be about
Basically his death.
Raid 2 would be about
The void created and after the Chaos of 2, returning a sort of law to the world

I just got back from seeing it. Holy Shit. It was amazing. They somehow managed to top the first film, and the fight/gun scenes were insane. John Wick is now on the same level to me as John McClane, Rambo, Martin Riggs, Dirty Harry, Indiana Jones, James Bond, and Mad Max as far as great action heroes. Maybe not yet as iconic as those names, but well on his way. I hope it wraps up nicely with JW3.

Keanu Reeves is a bad dramatic actor. Line delivery and dialogue, he's servicable at best with stuff like that.

But he's a great physical actor, thanks in no small part to his commitment to stuntwork and rehearsal. Stuff like the Wick films and The Matrix show off his impressive command of body language.

Carrie Anne Moss for John Wick 3 pls

keanu-reeves1.jpg

Go ahead and take issue with what I said, but you shitposted Predator, Dredd and Fury Road all in one fell swoop just to prop up a 75 metacritic action film.

I'm not saying everyone has to like the same thing, but really, dude?

Can you defend JW2 for being way too long, having a watered down third act, having no memorable characters, having no good lines or decent banter? Any sense of danger? It wasted its cast entirely.

The choreography is there in spades in the second act. On that merit, I'm with you. It's awesome. So if that's your only criterion for a dope action movie, who am I to argue?

But the three I mentioned all have different qualities in an action movie, many of which JW2 didn't possess, so that's what I'd put to you.
I've just concluded I really do not enjoy replying to you, because each time I do results in me having to read another one of your posts that continue missing the point of why I engaged you to begin with. I did not "shitpost" Dredd or the Predator series. I stated I didn't enjoy them. I made no comment on my opinion of Mad Max. As it happens, Fury Road is one of my favorite films ever. My highlighting that there are people who dislike it and thought it was "overhyped" was simply to draw parallels to your behavior in this thread.

You shouldn't be so quick to cite metacritic given the scores for the other films you praise over John Wick 2. I'm guessing you didn't look at anything beyond Mad Max? Dredd doesn't even score higher than the first Wick (which I'm now going to assume you haven't seen or also didn't enjoy), and neither it nor either Raid top Chapter 2 on Metacritic. So go right ahead, Wigdogger, turn this into a battle of critical acclaim and not just your subjective opinion.

As far as your specific problems with Chapter 2, I don't care to address them. 1) I'm totally content in how I enjoyed the film and am not bothered that others did not, 2) at this juncture I don't particularly value what you think about it or anything else and 3) getting bogged down in an argument over utterly subjective qualities is pointless. You're a single person who didn't like the film, which is fine. But unlike the other people in this thread who found issues with Chapter 2, you decided to waltz into the topic attacking the opinions of everyone else who did enjoy it. This entire discussion is aggravating and not really adding anything to this thread beyond giving you a reason to continue being active in it.

Feel free to toss up another rejoinder but as a heads up, I won't be responding to it.

With that ending, you can't stop.

I want Wick to
kill them. Kill them all.

Same creative team and it'll be fine.

I had a John Wick marathon today.

I watched the first one on Netflix earlier in the day for the first time ever (it was pretty good), and Chapter 2 tonight.

Chapter 2 was better than the first. I like that John Wick's world is a bit more expanded, but I also kind of missed the smallness of the first movie. In any case, it was a natural progression from the personal story of Chapter 1 to the larger scope of Chapter 2. What Chapter 2 does well is simply not straying from the formula while padding up its world-building.

The only thing that I've really questioned is the role of The Continental in both movies. My impression of it from Chapter 1 was that it was a central hub and neutral site for assassins managed by Winston, rather than being an organization headed by him as it's portrayed in Chapter 2. But it makes sense for it to be the latter in retrospect. Or did I mix it up?

Winston is the manager of NYC continental. From the
excommunication order of wick it looks like there's about ~14 offices worldwide.
The high table is above the continental.

I was thinking if they wanted 4 movies, the next movie could be the impossible task.

Also I'm guessing we'll get William Dafoe in chapter 3 in some form of a flashback. Something along the lines of making a plan for wick if they were ever jw2 spoiler:
excommunicated

BearPawB

Banned
I appreciate any film that just "goes there" with its story.

I love that they went so deep on this bizarre lore rabbit hole.

It is amazing

I really liked that they expanded on the intrigue the lore had in 1, but didn't quite tip its' hand entirely

Also everyone acts in such a fucking crazy ass manner, like holy shit that Marker is the end of god

Foggy

I've got no problem with anyone lauding JW or JW2 as being one of the greatest action films. It does what the genre demands with a high mark of excellence and that's what makes certain genre movies endure. There's a reason nobody gives a shit about Maggie Cheung and the comedy in Police Story. There's a reason nobody says, sure that horror movie scared the fuck out of me but what about the characters. Genre movies have never had to be well-rounded, it's part of their magic.

I also take issue with the idea that JW2's choreography was too much of a good thing in regards to all the headshots. There's a density of action in those blinding fast moments that will stand up to fine examination. I personally prefer the fluidity of the first film's nightclub setpiece, but no way am I going to dismiss JW2 as just simply being sound and fury.

Wigdogger

Fair enough. I didn't mean to incorrectly characterize your opinion on Fury Road. It was a bit unclear with how you spoke of the other films so negatively. My bad.

And for the record, I still like JW2, so you characterizing that as otherwise isn't true. And I did see the first John Wick, and it's also a three-star film (IMO).

I wasn't "attacking" anyone's opinion. My opinion was that some sentiment seemed to be out of sync with how I saw the movie. Others engaged some of my criticisms. Discussion was had.

I simply brought up some other films as comparison, all without the need for Jordan gifs.

Regardless, didn't mean to bother you so.

Daft_Cat

Hey, thanks for taking the time to engage what I said. That's all I was really interested in hearing from some people.

Seriously? I mean - you honestly thought gems like these would result in a healthy, meaningful discussion?

Boy, a lot of hyperbole in here.

Like, would some people seriously put this in the same breath as Aliens, Predator, Mad Max, Drunken Master (remake), Raid 2, etc.?

I'm kind of floored by people calling something "one of the greatest action films of all time"

... especially when no one is really articulating why this is some sent-from heaven action film. If you're content to keep blowing smoke up the movie's ass, then have at it.

Go ahead and take issue with what I said, but you shitposted Predator, Dredd and Fury Road all in one fell swoop just to prop up a 75 metacritic action film.

I'm not saying everyone has to like the same thing, but really, dude?

I highly doubt that, but in any case...

giphy.gif

Heartbreak and headshots: an examination of John Wick and its sequels.

http://www.slashfilm.com/john-wick-chapter-2-analysis/

Man, I love these films.
One of the posters for John Wick: Chapter 2 (partially seen at the top of this article) features Reeves staring forward, poker face at the ready, with countless guns aimed straight at his noggin. The internet wryly pointed out that this looked an awful lot like imagery from Two-Gun Gussie, a 1918 silent comedy short starring the legendary Harold Lloyd. What those who haven't given John Wick the time of day didn't realize is that this was very intentional. Lloyd, like Buster Keaton and other early film comedians, is silent cinema's equivalent of an action star. Without the use of dialogue, their jokes had to be purely visual and the most memorable of them involve genuine risk to all involved. The very nature of early film technology, including generally static cameras and the lack of sophisticated visual effects, meant that you just couldn't fake certain things. Either you did it on camera, either you risked your life for the gag, or it didn't happen.

two-gun-gussie-700x300.jpg
John-Wick-Chapter-2-poster1-700x300.jpg
Every bullet is accounted for, with the action choreography accounting for him reloading his weapons after the proper number of shots are fired. There is no John Woo-esque cheating when it comes to the number of rounds in every magazine. Every physical encounter is shot wide enough to showcase the specific details of the struggle, revealing how Wick fights his way out of any given situation with enough real-world accuracy to suggest that maybe it's possible for him to survive his ordeal.

SheHateMe

Heartbreak and headshots: an examination of John Wick and its sequels.

http://www.slashfilm.com/john-wick-chapter-2-analysis/

Man, I love these films.

^^^^^
Great read. That was some outstanding work done in that article.

The wife and I went on Saturday to watch the film and we thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife is NOT an action film lover; very rarely will she engage in action films. This time, however, not only was she truly ready to see it, she was actually EXCITED.

I hope this concludes in the third one movie wise: not that I don't want more, because I do. I just don't want it to overstay its welcome. (Actually, give me a video game. That'll work just fine.)

Curufinwe

Well, in reference to Mr. Aaronology, I liked the film. What I'm counter-pointing is the hyperbole of declaring this "one of the greatest action films of all time." Like, would some people seriously put this in the same breath as Aliens, Predator, Mad Max, Drunken Master (remake), Raid 2, etc.?

It's far better than Mad Max.

Alec

I had a realization while I was watching it. "These are live-action versions of the XiaoXiao flash animations from a lifetime ago."

Love it.

Winston didn't like her anyways and she broke the rules like fifty times
Yeah she broke the rules for money and it's clear that if there were a price high enough, she would never adhere to the rules. Hell the guy she killed in the hotel wasn't even her target, just someone in her way.

John broke the rules out of conviction. He had the cowardly rat bastard dead to rights before he ran to Winston demanding John's membership be revoked for no reason.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I really liked that they expanded on the intrigue the lore had in 1, but didn't quite tip its' hand entirely

Also everyone acts in such a fucking crazy ass manner, like holy shit that Marker is the end of god

One thing I was a little puzzled by, was the rule about
not fighting or killing in the hotel, which I guess supersedes all the rule breaking the main villain did with his marker betrayal. He absolutely broke the rules first, and I got bogged down wondering about the "legal" implications for Wick's final coup de grace. Like, shouldn't that be nullified because the victim was already in breech? I guess it's like excommunication rather than banning, but still and the evil chick from the first film got away with the same thing - at least for a bit

Fun flick, growing on me more as time passes. Didn't pack the wallop or surprise of the first, but I didn't really expect it to.

Chief nitpick? It seems like half the world is employed by the 'assassination economy'.

I had a realization while I was watching it. "These are live-action versions of the XiaoXiao flash animations from a lifetime ago."

Love it.

Which is hilarious to me considering one of the Matrix sequels totally stole a sequence from there, the staff kicking one

JOHN WICK/JOHN WICK 2 SPOILERS

Yeah she broke the rules for money and it's clear that if there were a price high enough, she would never adhere to the rules. Hell the guy she killed in the hotel wasn't even her target, just someone in her way.

John broke the rules out of conviction. He had the cowardly rat bastard dead to rights before he ran to Winston demanding John's membership be revoked for no reason.

Yeah she was a shithead money grubber, Winston usually just ices people when they fuck up it seems

not fighting or killing in the hotel, which I guess supersedes all the rule breaking the main villain did with his marker betrayal. He absolutely broke the rules first, and I got bogged down wondering about the "legal" implications for Wick's final coup de grace. Like, shouldn't that be nullified because the victim was already in breech? I guess it's like excommunication rather than banning, but still and the evil chick from the first film got away with the same thing - at least for a bit

so here's the thing; that little shit never actually broke any rules. He was in the right to use the Marker, and once that was done, was within his rights to take Wick out. He could ask Winston to expel John, but that seems to be a case-by-case basis, so he got denied. And no matter what he did, Continental rules say no business.

You could tell Winston knew John was fuckin -gone- though, you could see the wheels turning

But
Santiano didn't owe John anything. John owed him and when he refused, Santiano had every right to take him out according to house rules. So grenading his house wasn't breaking the rules. John technically fulfilled his end of the bargain when he killed the sister. Both John and Santiano wanted to kill each other, but they couldn't because they needed each other. Winston forced John to honor his end of the bargain and Santiano needed John to kill his sister. As soon as the blood oath is fulfilled, there is nothing stopping those two from killing one another...Except if they are on Continental grounds.

Also, real being real, for being an silly action movie I fuckin' audibly gasped at the ending because of how well they set up the lore

The final confrontation at the contentinental?
I loved how the sound was made for it to be the loudest scene in the film. The whole theater gasped.

I don't think it's hyperbole at all. It's fucking awesome.
Yeah, we know he's not gonna die, just as we do with John McClane, James Bond, Indiana Jones, Rhama from The Raid and every other action hero known to man. It's the beautiful action that makes it, the great little character moments, that wonderful assassin universe that is its own microcosmos, the beautiful composition of certain shots etc.

I agree with Monocle, I think it's up there with the greatest action films ever made.

Yeah, I loved it just like the first one, the stunning action and how they tracked everything and just the right beats of character moments, and bits of laughs, and especially the assassin universe is still so damned good even with them expanding it, which is quite impressive. Also, they really nailed the new additional actors for those international Continental parts again just like in the first.

The part where he was getting the weapons was so good. The rapport between Keanu Reeves and Peter Serafinowicz in that scene was so much fun, they must have had a lot of fun with that. Some of the assassin universe stuff once again was wonderfully funny. Also, Ian McShane and Lance Reddick's characters continued to be classy as hell like in the in the first one (Charon taking care of the dog too :D). Very interested to see where Fishburne's character goes in the next since that's the one he'll clearly play an even bigger part in after this introduction and them showing him in the last montage.

The ending of the movie slightly upsets me for an admittedly kind of silly reason.
John being excommunicated from The Continental sucks because that's one of my favorite aspects about both movies.

Agreed, heh.

Fortunately I think it helps that they probably know that and they probably expect us to feel this way while we wait for the third movie, as both Winston and Charon are clearly feeling the same as us. At least there's the marker Winston chose to give him too.

The final confrontation at the contentinental?
I loved how the sound was made for it to be the loudest scene in the film. The whole theater gasped.

Oh yeah. The sound plus
how fast he took the shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom