• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joint West African military force enters Gambia to install newly elected president

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJPIA

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gambia-politics-idUSKBN15305Q?il=0
West African nations launched a military operation in Gambia on Thursday, Senegal's army said, aiming to install its new President Adama Barrow and remove longtime ruler Yahya Jammeh, who refuses to step down despite an election loss.
The intervention, led by a Senegalese general and dubbed Operation Restore Democracy, involves "significant" land, air and sea resources, according to a Senegalese army statement.

"This action aims to re-establish constitutional legality in Gambia and allow the new elected president to take office," it said, adding that the operation was being carried out under an ECOWAS mandate.

A local Senegalese government official saw a military convoy including tanks in Diouloulou, near Senegal's border with Gambia on Thursday morning. And soon after Barrow's swearing in, Senegal's army spokesman told Reuters its forces crossed into its much smaller neighbor.

Nigeria, which pre-positioned war planes and helicopters in Dakar, is also part of the operation, but it was not immediately clear if it too had crossed the border.

Ghana has also pledged troops.
"This is a day no Gambian will ever forget," Barrow said after taking the oath, which was administered by the president of Gambia's bar association. "Our national flag will now fly high among the most democratic nations of the world."
The U.N. Security Council on Thursday backed ECOWAS's efforts to ensure Barrow assumes power, and the United States said it supported Senegal's intervention.

ECOWAS has been attempting to persuade Jammeh to quit for weeks, and has failed to do so, despite his increasing political isolation and last ditch efforts to reason with him overnight.

Jammeh, in power since a 1994 coup and whose mandate ended overnight, initially conceded defeat to Barrow following a Dec. 1 election before back-tracking, saying the vote was flawed.
Hundreds of Gambians celebrated in the streets, cautiously at first, and then gradually in larger numbers as they realized the security forces looking on were not going to open fire.
"The dictator is out," shouted pharmacist Lamine Jao, 30, as others cheered and whistled in agreement. "It's just a question of time. We'll soon flush him out. Believe me," he said.
U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in a statement pledged "his full support for his (Barrow's) determination, and ECOWAS's historic decision, with the unanimous backing of the Security Council, to restore the rule of law in The Gambia so as to honor and respect the will of the Gambian people."

Barrow gave the oath in a tiny room in Gambia's embassy in the Senegalese capital, Dakar, and many of those present broke into the Gambian national anthem once he had completed it.

Outside the building on a residential street amid a heavy security presence, dozens of Gambians listened to the ceremony through loudspeakers.

"It's very sad to be swearing in a president in someone else's country," said Fatou Silla, 33, a businesswoman who fled Gambia with her son a week ago.
It was unclear what Jammeh's next move would be.

He faces almost total diplomatic isolation and a government riddled by defections. In the biggest loss yet, Vice President Isatou Njie Saidy, who has held the role since 1997, quit on Wednesday, a government source and a family member told Reuters.

Gambia's long, sandy beaches have made it a prime destination for tourists but Jammeh, who once vowed to rule for "a billion years", has also earned a reputation for rights abuses and stifling dissent.

He has ignored pressure to step aside and offers of exile.
It is long past time this guy is removed from a position of power.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...10fe486791c_story.html?utm_term=.fa5457d86f70
The military action reflects the region's dissatisfaction with what leaders see as Jammeh's seemingly unhinged leadership. It was also aimed at forestalling ”hostilities or breakdown of law and order that may result from the current political impasse in Gambia," the Ni­ger­ian government, a member of ECOWAS, said in a statement. Nigeria and Ghana have also pledged military forces to the effort, but it was not clear whether any of them had joined the Senegalese forces in launching cross-border operations.

Jammeh's term officially expired at the end of Wednesday night. Earlier that day, troops from Senegal moved to the border with Gambia.

Jammeh, a former army officer who first took power in a 1994 coup, has increasingly become an international pariah. He is known for making bizarre claims, such as touting his ability to cure AIDS with local herbs. In Gambia, Jammeh's many critics say he helped enrich a small circle of politicians while doing little for the rest of the impoverished country, leading to a massive exodus to North Africa and Europe.

Jammeh also vowed to slit the throats of gay men and ordered security forces to round up hundreds of people accused of witchcraft. Last year, he said Gambia would leave the International Criminal Court, which his administration mocked as the ”International Caucasian Court."

Lock if old.

finley83

Banned
These strongmen really are the scourge of African democracy. I hope this leads to a peaceful transition of power and that the future government respects the democratic wishes of the people.

Wonder what will happen to Yahya when he's out for good.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Hopefully there won't be major loss of life. I've read that the Gambian military won't oppose this intervention.

Mr.Sumal

I don't think the intervention was needed. Most of Jammeh's inner circle bailed and the chief of staff told the media he wouldn't tell his soldiers to lose their lives for him.

Seems like military has been halted for now. They are giving him Friday to leave the county to Guinee. Otherwise Senegal military will remove him.

I knew a guy who was in the Peace Corps in the Gambia who told me a story about a run-in he had with President Jammeh. To give you a sense of the ridiculous ego of the man, President Jammeh has the ridiculous style "His Excellency Sheikh Professor Alhaji Dr. Yahya Abdul-Aziz Awal Jemus Junkung Jammeh Naasiru Deen Babili Mansa," and he likes to ride around the country and throw small gifts to the gathered crowds for people to tussle over. So one day Jammeh comes to town, and the Peace Corps volunteer goes to see him, and is standing around while Jammeh is throwing little boxes of cookies out. Jammeh spies the white dude, and heaves a whole armload of cookies right at him. The crowd goes berzerk and dogpiles the guy, who emerges moments later, shirt torn, shoes missing, slightly bloodied, cookieless -- and literally sees His Excellency Sheikh Professor Dr. President laughing directly at him. So a memorable day for all involved.

jelly

That's pretty awesome. Good on some Africa nations stepping up. Leaders like these only hold countries back. At least this gives them a chance to improve.

I don't think the intervention was needed. Most of Jammeh's inner circle bailed and the chief of staff told the media he wouldn't tell his soldiers to lose their lives for him.

But the man himself is still holed up in the country, the intervention was absolutely needed.

MJPIA

Best case scenario would've been this guy just stepping down but military intervention in that region is probably the best scenario.
The Senegalese operation — conducted with the support of nations across West Africa — marks a rare instance in which an African regional military coalition has responded with force to a leader's refusal to step down after an election. In recent years, many African heads of state have changed their countries' constitutions or rigged elections to remain in power, with limited opposition.
“That a regional bloc is willing to go beyond mere rhetoric, and defend the will and democratic aspirations of an entire people, speaks volumes and will undoubtedly resonate well beyond the Gambia,” said Jeffrey Smith, founding director of Vanguard Africa, a nonprofit organization that has worked closely with the Gambian opposition.
This sets a tone for any country in that region that they will not just throw out empty words and look away from any shenanigans during elections and also eliminates the small chance of clashes between loyalists and opposition breaking out.

Seems like military has been halted for now. They are giving him Friday to leave the county to Guinee. Otherwise Senegal military will remove him.
By any chance do you have a article link you could share so I could update the OP?

Have an extension of family members who have been killed by him due to being an opposition political party. He's a wicked evil dictator that represented the definition of a hypocrite and he's being cornered each and every day.

Well, if all goes well for the people, I'd be interested in visiting.

*Googles Gambia*

The country looks like a penis.

This joke annoys me considering it was British forces who created the borders around the Gambian river which makes the shape of the country. Thanks colonialism.

Sesha

Just read up on this debacle and Yahya. Fascinating read. I hope justice is swiftly carried out. On a side-note, I was surprised to learn that he banned female genital mutilation and child marriage, which seemed oddly progressive while being rather peculiar considering his other views.

Annnd he is stepping down, awesome news. Ecowas once again paving the way on how an intervention is supposed to go, using force as an absolute last result but being willing to commit such forces when called upon. Even during the intervention diplomatic efforts were still being used to get him to step down and it seems he has agreed to step down, it doesn't help him that everyone has abandoned him.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Good, I was worried when he initially went back on his word that this could only end in violence. Hopefully everything is settled now.

How did this guy even loose in the first place? Did his people just...fail to rig the election votes? For a dictator who vowed too rule for a billion years, you'd assume his minions will take care of stuffing ballots and killing political opponents, no?

Mivey

How did this guy even loose in the first place? Did his people just...fail to rig the election votes? For a dictator who vowed too rule for a billion years, you'd assume his minions will take care of stuffing ballots and killing political opponents, no?
That's what happens when a dictator just stops caring. Ennui is the greatest enemy of tyranny.

norinrad

As long as all this is happening in an alternate universe of course.

Good to see African countries looking after each other. Hope the new guy does well. This is the guy who worked as an Argos security guard while studying in London, which suggests he's not some kleptocratic corrupt warlord.

Mesousa

Banned
The Gambia needs to join Senegal.

No way they will ever be anything,economically, surrounded by a much larger state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom