• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce a Batgirl pic for WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbles

That sounds interesting. Hopefully he has a lot of control and autonomy to make the film as he wants it.
I think he will. DC seems to clearly be letting the directors do whatever the hell they want with the films, look at Ayer's world and tatted up takes on iconic characters

jph139

I'd be into that. Hopefully they go with a strong father-daughter dynamic and rope JK Simmons into things... could be the best thing in the DCEU if they hit the right notes.

Just no Killing Joke please.

yunbuns

I'm intrigued. Also as far as making movies with female leads, DC is definitely winning over Marvel. We're getting this, Wonder Woman, and Gotham City Sirens compared to only Ms. Marvel. Hopefully these movies are good though...

A-V-B

I'd be into that. Hopefully they go with a strong father-daughter dynamic and rope JK Simmons into things... could be the best thing in the DCEU if they hit the right notes.

Shit yeah, I just realized that.

If they nail the casting on Batgirl and give Whedon latitude to be creative, this could blow away pretty much everything we've seen from the current DC efforts.

Well... that's something, isn't it?

Out of freaking nowhere.

I can only imagine this will be good... but man, they're really going for the Bat Family Extended Universe.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Just no Killing Joke please.

all of this sounds real good

giphy.gif

Can we try to leave this bullshit at the door, please?

This MARVEL FANBOYS VS DC FANBOYS thing is getting so fucking tiring.
Is it wrong to find this funny? Because bullshit tribalism aside, the main reason that people used to both criticize the MCU and legitimize the D.C. Films as being better art was the Whedon's style of action comedy. And now that Joss has signed on to do this, I'm curious to see whether the same criticisms that dogged him when he was doing Avengers follow him with Batgirl.

Potential for Hypocrisy amuses me.

Joss, my man. I know I've talked shit about your films for a while now. And I know this movie is gonna be about Barbs because this world sucks. But if you give me even a tiny Cass Cain cameo, I will do things for you. Anything you can dream of. I will do it.

A-V-B

Hard time believing it's not gonna be this Batgirl

key-600x480.jpg

Or at least inspired by this Batgirl.

It's a great match for Whedon's more... casual/homey superhero tendencies that I think are at heart for him. If they ever put Barbara in a suit, it's gonna be something A LOT like that one.

Ahasverus

No way.

I don't like him, but it'll be interesting to see what he cooks up free of Disney's shackles.

The DCEU is turning into the bat universe though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Joss Whedon sucks, but when you have a blank canvas for a character so unknown to the general populace, I don't think you can lose.

shoreu

Please please please don't make it like that DC you batgirl please or i won't be able to watch this

Cross post

kswiston

Hard time believing it's not gonna be this Batgirl

key-600x480.jpg

Or at least inspired by this Batgirl.

I think so too. Is DC still using that iteration in the comics?

Batgirl is one of major characters in the little girl line of toys/cartoons that DC has been putting out for the last 2-3 years. This is the perfect character to get a lot of (young) female audience crossover. Moreso than the DCEU Wonder Woman from what I have seen.

A-V-B

Good. Now to hope Warner doesn't pass Whedon's cut through a shredder.

Yup. Only way I believe this succeeds is if WB basically gives Whedon free rein to tackle this the way he wants to. Just... step out of the way and let Joss be Joss. I think they'll get something pretty fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom