• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce a Batgirl pic for WB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw shit.

...this is probably going to START with Killing Joke as a flashback, wont' it.

Like a quick/slick 2-3 minute montage under the credits.

So she's gonna start paralyzed?

Is she gonna end up racing wood cars but her dad's going to invent a way for paralyzed people to drive cars and her brother is going to be mad he can't beat her up like a regular sister but he can't because she's special

shingi70

Banned
Silver lining: The fact they're shouting out a specific comics run as inspiration at all is maybe a good sign. They're not looking to base it so much off the DCEU, but Whedon adapting Gail Simone.

So now it's a question of how faithfully they're looking to go with that.

That Simonie run would fit in with the DCEU in terms of grimness. That was nothing but Babs misery. It's why Burnside Batgirl was so refreshing

Is she gonna end up racing wood cars but her dad's going to invent a way for paralyzed people to drive cars and her brother is going to be mad he can't beat her up like a regular sister but he can't because she's special

"Wiggle. Your big. Toe."

"Wiggle it."

"Just a little bit."

Probably gonna be post paralyzed since it's a Batgirl not Oracle movie.

So basically Stephanie with red hair.

Ross61

She's probably gonna already be healed.

Aw shit.

...this is probably going to START with Killing Joke as a flashback, wont' it.

Like a quick/slick 2-3 minute montage under the credits.
If they did that I'd rather they just open with the scene where she gets shot, and not like a whole twenty or thirty minutes at the start dedicated to it.

Theorry

Doubt we get a big actress to be fair. Think alot are also waiting on whats gonna happen and who is gonna get cast for Sirens and she needs to compete against Robbie. Also they really need to cast a "nerdy" character to differentiate from Sirens.

I wanna see the receipts!

Darn, I can't find the tweet, but a big comic book movie account just tweeted the proof. She just teased working on a huge project, she currently works for the CW (partially owned by WB), retweeted the Batgirl announcement out of nowhere and pretty much fits the bill in terms of looks.

She's gorgeous. Never heard of her though.

40f6e901-f17e-42f0-907b-6750e028760a.jpg

THOSE AREN'T RECEIPTS, DOROTHY

Cool to see Warners leaning into female led movies using huge properties. Not too thrilled by Whedon; more indifferent to him.

My concerns have to do with the nature of a shared universe. First, we recently had the Nightwing announcement, and while it's true there were MoS2 rumors, I don't want to see them leaning too hard on Batman. Second, what this means for Matt Reeves' Batman, Chris McKay's Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens, etc. Third, during the AoU press tour Whedon talked up how much he wants to work on Batman, so do they get Affleck to come in for scenes? Leto to shoot Barbara in flashback? [insert Nightwing actor] to show up? Four, where this leaves the long rumored Bird of Prey.

A-V-B

Oh. So it's dark and edgy Batgirl, not light Batgirl that could have the flexibility to be dark when she has to be. Whedon will have to conform to the Snyderverse.

Right. Guess I'm out of this again.

Good luck, Joss.

Ross61

Oh. So it's dark and edgy Batgirl, not light Batgirl that could have the flexibility to be dark when she has to be. Whedon will have to conform to the Snyderverse.

Right. Guess I'm out of this again.

Good luck, Joss.

Lmao, man.

And I kind of doubt they would pick an actress this early.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Sounds good to me. I'll watch it. I want to see something similar to the Year One storyline. I'd probably stay away from the Robin stuff in that book, and I'd go with more street level crime fighting before she's taken in by Batman.

Killer Moth is the villain that book, but he's kind of too hokey. I'd probably go with someone like Firefly.

The movie also needs Black Canary.

would be my chance to get killer moth in something finally but on the other hand firefly and firebug are rad as well

A-V-B

Lol, we barely know anything yet, slow down. And Simone's run was far from dark and edgy.

Well, what is post Killing Joke supposed to imply? Isn't that a pretty dark place for Barbara Gordon to start out at?

Or do they mean they're leaving the after effects of the Killing Joke behind?

sleepykyo

Lol, we barely know anything yet, slow down. And Simone's run was far from dark and edgy.

-Ptsd (from having a gun pointed) causing her to freeze and let someone die
-Fought a vigilante that was a failed heroine with brain damage
-Fought another villain that suffering from a twisted version of suvivors' guilt.

That run was pretty dark, it just wasn't the ridiculously cheesy grimdark that Snyder churns out.

Well, what is post Killing Joke supposed to imply? Isn't that a pretty dark place for Barbara Gordon to start out at?

Or do they mean they're leaving the after effects of the Killing Joke behind?

The current happy-go-lucky Batgirl is also post Killing Joke, technically. And they still make references to it once in a while. It's an important part of her backstory, like the death of the Waynes for Batman, it doesn't mean the movie itself will be dark and edgy. Don't get me wrong, it very well might be the case but we simply don't know yet. And I don't see Whedon going full Snyder, that's just not in his DNA.

-Ptsd (from having a gun pointed) causing her to freeze and let someone die
-Fought a vigilante that was a failed heroine with brain damage
-Fought another villain that suffering from a twisted version of suvivors' guilt.

That run was pretty dark, it just wasn't the ridiculously cheesy grimdark that Snyder churns out.

Yeah, it had its moments of darkness for sure but Batgirl herself was still pretty funny and positive. It was a far cry from BvS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom