• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge Dredd Mega-City One TV Show in development

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'm sure Urban is expensive. If they follow other judges and only use Dredd sparingly, I could see it working. If the show gets popular enough that they can afford Urban he could become a regular in following seasons.

I feel like if Karl Urban was in this, they would have announced it immediately in the press release to help promote the series as its main detail of interest. Seeing as how that's not the case, I'm struggling to see Urban actually being involved in this project.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

jediyoshi

aw, this fan page i've been following for years finally has something to look forward to

iOckTGS.png

So they're just starting development on this? Cool vaporware, bros. Definitely the right time to announce.

Also, Almost Human was legit awesome.

They better be getting in contact with Karl Urban for this, he nailed the Dredd role and should definitely be given the role again.

Urban has retweeted this news on his Twitter account about an hour ago, fingers crossed that is a sign he might be involved or at least looking to be involved.

I feel like if Karl Urban was in this, they would have announced it immediately in the press release to help promote the series as its main detail of interest. Seeing as how that's not the case, I'm struggling to see Urban actually being involved in this project.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

Yeah. Hope they figure out a deal and bring Urban on. Would love to see that.

Man I feel like this week has been awesome for announcements. New Hellboy movie announced. An animated Deadpool show. Now a Judge Dredd show?

Hope I'm wrong, though.

I suspect Urban or Thirlby will not be in this because the world sucks.

Kev Kev

They better at least attempt to get by boy Karl Urban back as Dredd

giphy.gif

Man this was such a good fuckin movie.

Also, for those who didn't see it in theaters in 3D, it was one of those rare movies that was actually awesome in 3D. I would totally wear those stupid glasses again for that experience one more time.

Hope I'm wrong, though.
It's not at that stage yet. It's an idea on paper. This is a ridiculous announcement, way too early. Stuff like this happens (and dies) CONSTANTLY.

Sanjuro

almost-human.jpg

USA, FX, AMC or TNT can provide more than a bit budget as demonstrated many times (The Last Ship...). The concern is the amount of gore & violence allowed, and I'm pretty sure that between TWD, The Strain or Legion and a few others (heck even on Fox with The Exorcist) those concerns have been dealt with.
Now if Dredd had to have nudity, it would be a different story obviously...

I wouldn't consider those programs to be programs to shoot for.

I'm sure Urban is expensive. If they follow other judges and only use Dredd sparingly, I could see it working. If the show gets popular enough that they can afford Urban he could become a regular in following seasons.
Urban has done TV work in the past (Almost Human). Depending on where this show ends up (SyFy seems like the most likely destination), it wouldn't be an impossibility. All this comes down to scale of budget, which seems like the biggest unanswered question right now.

It's not at that stage yet. It's an idea on paper. This is a ridiculous announcement, way too early. Stuff like this happens (and dies) CONSTANTLY.
I'm getting the sense they announced this as a means of proving viability to networks and studios. Give a clear picture of fan demand, and use that momentum to sign a bigger deal.

Of course it also results in plenty of cases where nobody bites, and they wildly disappoint the fanbase.

I'm expecting a production similar to The Man in the High Castle. Better though, since Dredd will attract more eyeballs than an obscure Philip K Dick story.

I'm getting the sense they announced this as a means of proving viability to networks and studios. Give a clear picture of fan demand, and use that momentum to sign a bigger deal.

Of course it also results in plenty of cases where nobody bites, and they wildly disappoint the fanbase.
Yep. Not the first time they've tried this exact thing with this exact franchise.

Point is, keep hopes firmly in check.

Briarios

I'd almost prefer this go to a streaming service - Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Starz ... Something like that. 12 or 13 episode seasons would be plenty.

Acorn

👊 to all my fellow Urban fans. I hope he gets involved given how much he enjoyed the property and wanted to continue his involvement.

Nice, I'll definitely give it a shot. If they can somehow pull off having Urban play Dredd again I would be infinitely more excited. My man nailed that role. Anderson would be another plus.

I'm expecting a production similar to The Man in the High Castle. Better though, since Dredd will attract more eyeballs than an obscure Philip K Dick story.

I wouldn't have a problem with this. TMitHC is a good show that looks to use it's budget well. There are some cheesy looking parts but overall it is has good visuals.

Karl Urban or this is dead in the fucking water.

Also, am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that somehow a video game company owns the rights to 2000 AD?

I'm standing by with hope. Karl Urban was one of the first to retweet the announcement, as if he'd been ready for it. Search his name on Twitter. People are begging him to be a part, so listen up producers.

EYEL1NER

I was trying to figure out why I received an email with the announcement in it, and it must be because I signed the petition located at the link posted ITT.

If there is no Urban, I'll not pay any attention to it until release and then wait and hear what people have to say about it, and then maybe check it out when I'm bored. If Urban is in it, I'm down for it day one. Thirlby being back as Anderson would be cool too, I can't imagine she has anything too huge going on in the movie/TV world right now. I like what little I've read of Judge Dredd and think the concept and overall setting is interesting enough but I loved the 2012 Dredd movie and want more of that. If the only relation this has to the 2012 movie winds up being that some of the producers are the same and that's it, then I'm not all that interested.

Nether!

Dredd is such a cool, versatile property.
I read through the whole run of the connected stuff published since 1977 a year or so ago and they can really do any kind of story in that universe.
The 90s movie wasn't great, but it's not like they pulled everything from their asses - a lot of that stuff is straight from the comics.
I'd say the earlier movie draws more from the actual material than Dredd 3D (despite the newer one being better).
Looking forward to this new version.
Could make an amazing ongoing series, there are so many amazing stories they could adapt, but I have no idea how they'd do that without making the show animated.

pa22word

Hope they keep the pitch black humor. As much as I love Urban's dredd movie that's one of the spots I don't like about it.

It'd be strange but I could see Dredd being a reoccurring character but not the main. Let's Urban work around the schedule and they can justify keeping the helmet on, always.

Top Bottom