• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT 2| Monday Night Raw and Thunder Live!

orioto

Good Art™
Anyone having played any native rez good looking game on Vita knows 540p is impressive. It'll be more impressive playing a xenoblade X like game in 540p than the bunch of crappy clean graphics some are happy to play on their phones. The comparison is ridiculous.

Happy #MeltzerSaturday everyone

STR118_Dave_Meltzer.png

Looks like there's a lot going on. :)

Had this discussion with some people last night about PWG and how much it's fallen off. Tickets are hotter than ever, I guess, but it does come off like a small servicing crowd that just want to go so they can chant and FallingEdge can sweat. Rather than build an interesting promotion, they just grab 'who's hot this week' from Europe, Lucha, and ex-WWE guys and don't even attempt to build interesting stories.

The issue with that is the promotions those guys come from are already doing that and usually have better production values. I can watch a better top to bottom card from AAW doing the same things PWG used to do for a cheaper price with better booked matches, for example.

AAW does the supercard booking of indie guys and they put out better matches, for example. Pentagon vs Hero and Pentagon vs Fenix at AAW are better than anything out of PWG in the last 5 years.

AAW now is like PWG in 2008, but with way better production values (seriously, AAW kick just about everyone's ass on the US indie scene at the moment). They also don't have a distribution problem like PWG does, so it's far easier to maintain excitement and keep up to date. That being said, AAW can't stack the shows like PWG can - there's certainly crazy indie dream matches, but not a whole card full of them. Some people like that, although personally I've found PWG very hard to watch in one sitting in recent years, whereas AAW is a breeze.

PROGRESS is a far superior product to PWG as well and they do it on the back of almost exclusively homegrown talent. Hell, AIW's more enjoyable (even with its faults) to me. All PWG has going for it at present is the ability to book guys from all corners against each other on every show.

The way I see PWG now is that it is just people having fun booking and watching a wrestling show. Get your dream matches, get your crazy shit in. They know what they are and are very aware and they do a great job of it. It just entertains the fuck out of me which is all I ask for. But I totally see where you guys are coming from.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The way I see PWG now is that it is just people having fun booking and watching a wrestling show. Get your dream matches, get your crazy shit in. They know what they are and are very aware and they do a great job of it. It just entertains the fuck out of me which is all I ask for. But I totally see where you guys are coming from.

The dream matches thing is fine, but they aren't booked like dream matches. They're booked like 'we got these two guys that are popular and we stuck them in the ring and they're gonna get their spots in and the other guys gonna get their spots in. The only 'dream match' that felt like one, which wasn't even billed as one, was Fenix vs Sydal and Hero vs Cobb to me.

Lucha Elite, Fortune Dream, and the aforementioned AAW usually do these kinds of dream matches and they actually feel like matches rather than just spectacle

PWG feels more like it should be a wrestling convention than a wrestling event these days.

imBask

Banned
I don't know... your job is to type stuff on a computer, you might as well invest in a macbook or a surface pro or something, I wouldn't want to work on a stupid CRT

You're surprised that the person still running a 'newsletter' in 2016 is using a CRT?

Surprised it's still working, not that he's using it. I kept using mine until the tube died, then I succumbed to the lighter flatscreens. Though I doubt meltz is too interested in refresh rates lol

And the newsletter is fantastic.

Adree

This story never gets old.

Reading this del rip shoot from 14, he said that wwe thinks guys like him, Ziggler, and Rey can bounce back from anything. What he is referring to is losing many matches in a row.

Del Rio is kinda boring to me but he always gets over with the crowd so they should probably have done something with him to match the huge amount of money they spent getting him back.

Pikma

Banned
Del Rio is kinda boring to me but he always gets over with the crowd so they should probably have done something with him to match the huge amount of money they spent getting him back.
At this point it's like they paid him just to keep him off LU

They just got him back to keep him from working elsewhere. After Ambrose makes light work of Ziggler, they need to pair the two up. I believe Ambrose & Albertas can have great matches, plus it keeps him a little happy. I like the guy and I hate that they're wasting him. Maybe he'll stick around so we can see him and Shinsuke go at it. Maybe if they got Rey back, they could re do that feud as they have great chemistry. Benjamin v Albert can be good as well. So many possibilities but I wonder do they see it.

Ithil

Got round to Jericho's podcast with Nakamura, some neat info but the best part was after Nakamura mentions his favourite match ever was vs Ibushi at WK9, Jericho notes Ibushi is in WWE too for the CWC, and wonders if they will sign him full time too, to which Nakamura goes "Maybe...but he's strange. Very very strange".

20160402-IMGP3591-Kota-Ibushi.jpg

That he is.

somedevil

I don't think Ibushi can do a full time WWE schedule. He has already burned out doing DDT and New Japan. The best I think they can get with him is a part time like contract.

They would probably also have to sign Michael Nakazawa to help him.

Top Bottom