• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

shaowebb

I find it hard to say I have a "top 5" or anything similar. I have tons of dudes I liked at some point or another. Some guys were only amazing during certain short lived spans or segments in their career. Because of this my favorites change a lot as guys tire out or change for the worse...however there are some favorite eras that various wrestlers had that I'll never shake the love for.

MY FAVORITE WRESTLER RUNS OR TIMELINES
  • Steve Corino's run in the final months of ECW. The old school wrestler who just wouldn't die in the face of all the changing styles and trends of the 90s. It was amazing to watch this character unfold. Bloody as hell and the ballsy nature of him was just infectious. One of the last and most anticipated ECW champions
  • Foley's run in the 90's that went from one brutal match to the next until he was a champion. He was infectious and like Corino his tenacity to get back up captivated folks who were there. He was a great character of awkward hope filled dreams being fulfilled.
  • Owen Hart's heel run prior to Blue Blazer and his untimely end. I'd been gone from wrestling forever and I tune in to watch him vs Shamrock vs The Rock in a King of Kings 3 way match after King of the Ring. His performance and heel nature was incredible. I fell hard for this performer and loved him. He quickly became my favorite guy and to this day I have no doubt He'd have eventually been paired with the title run and could've carried that belt well. I still wish he had gotten a heel run vs the redhot 90's Jericho right after Y2J first broke into the WWE. I think it would've been great right after the Y2J vs HHH early run.
  • Shinsuke Nakamura's entire run as IC champion in NJPW. Just redhot fire and back to back incredible matches all the way till he left.
  • Early Rey Mysterio stuff from WCW. His early years prior to the loss of his mask were his best years and were inspiring. He made that entire division sizzle. So fast and so many crazy counters. Malenko, Eddie, Juvi, Psychosis, Kidman...just incredible runs vs so many. He elevated that division and opened the eyes of the world to high flying IMO. Still love those old matches.
  • NWA TNA Amazing Red from back in the era of THE SAT. I'm talking back when the X-Division belt first hit. I'm talking vs Low Ki and Jerry Lynn and Styles. Early TNA was amazing and Amazing Red was a big part of it. I truly wish that The SAT had stuck around with him. Things fell apart almost immediately upon the era of six sided rings, network deals and dudes like Kazarian/Bentley hogging the division.
  • Masato Yoshino's entire career. Speed Muscle was an amazing tag team but his title chase and runs in Dragongate were fantastic. I love this guy.
  • Katsuyori Shibata's entire career. My god was he great to watch. He was like Inoki reborn with strong style demons possessing him. Just monstrous and golden.
  • The original Mistico era that put Sin Cara in the crosshairs of WWE. Dude's run was fire in Mexico. Just back to back amazing matches filled with terrific style and many many counters. He wasn't always the botch fest he sadly became. Back then...no question was he one of the best things to see.
  • RVD's return to ECW run. So good. Him vs Sabu and Lynn and Rhyno. My God did he make things look impactful out there. Crowd was infectious and nothing was more original. Stellar years to behold.

Oersted

During the appearance, Stephanie discusses the women of WWE previously being labeled ‘Divas’, and she explained that the word was meant to be derived from ‘Divas of soul’, which is often what famous singer such as Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston are referred to as. She added, however, that push-back from social media is what lead to WWE rebranding the ‘Divas’ as Superstars, and she said the women in WWE are now a main focal point in the company and in the product.

Syder

During the appearance, Stephanie discusses the women of WWE previously being labeled ‘Divas', and she explained that the word was meant to be derived from ‘Divas of soul', which is often what famous singer such as Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston are referred to as. She added, however, that push-back from social media is what lead to WWE rebranding the ‘Divas' as Superstars, and she said the women in WWE are now a main focal point in the company and in the product.
tumblr_oji598zNrc1r1ult6o1_500.gif

shaowebb

Owen Hart was a NUGGET

And thats why he kicked your leg outta your leg lol.

I loved the guy. He could work any match with any guy. He just worked as a heel for me. So versatile. He wasn't a wimp or a cheap guy who couldn't win without cheating. He was a heel but he could legit counter anything he was put in and was the overlooked brother of a dynasty who legitimately could wrestle so well that it made you nod even with the heel promos that yeah...he was the better Hart in the ring. Hell his match vs Liger in Japan blows every Bret performance ever away in my eyes.

Every guy from that era who could wrestle like him was tried as a champ. Eddie, Benoit, Jericho...I have no doubt Owen's time at bat would've hit. I strongly feel he would've ran amazing feuds with Eddie and Y2J...Possibly Jeff Hardy or RVD as well later. It really hurts that he died during a low point in his career where he was getting shuffled off into an old gimmick that we all knew would've dropped soon. Guy was just so versatile and so fun in the ring.

Menome

Current Fave-Five:

1.) Braun Strowman
2.) Samoa Joe
3.) AJ Styles*
4.) Elias Samson
5.) Alexa Bliss

*On constant observation in case he decides to use a homophobic slur again.

Hex

Banned
I find it hard to say I have a "top 5" or anything similar. I have tons of dudes I liked at some point or another. Some guys were only amazing during certain short lived spans or segments in their career. Because of this my favorites change a lot as guys tire out or change for the worse...however there are some favorite eras that various wrestlers had that I'll never shake the love for.

MY FAVORITE WRESTLER RUNS OR TIMELINES
  • Steve Corino's run in the final months of ECW. The old school wrestler who just wouldn't die in the face of all the changing styles and trends of the 90s. It was amazing to watch this character unfold. Bloody as hell and the ballsy nature of him was just infectious. One of the last and most anticipated ECW champions
  • Foley's run in the 90's that went from one brutal match to the next until he was a champion. He was infectious and like Corino his tenacity to get back up captivated folks who were there. He was a great character of awkward hope filled dreams being fulfilled.
  • Owen Hart's heel run prior to Blue Blazer and his untimely end. I'd been gone from wrestling forever and I tune in to watch him vs Shamrock vs The Rock in a King of Kings 3 way match after King of the Ring. His performance and heel nature was incredible. I fell hard for this performer and loved him. He quickly became my favorite guy and to this day I have no doubt He'd have eventually been paired with the title run and could've carried that belt well. I still wish he had gotten a heel run vs the redhot 90's Jericho right after Y2J first broke into the WWE. I think it would've been great right after the Y2J vs HHH early run.
  • Shinsuke Nakamura's entire run as IC champion in NJPW. Just redhot fire and back to back incredible matches all the way till he left.
  • Early Rey Mysterio stuff from WCW. His early years prior to the loss of his mask were his best years and were inspiring. He made that entire division sizzle. So fast and so many crazy counters. Malenko, Eddie, Juvi, Psychosis, Kidman...just incredible runs vs so many. He elevated that division and opened the eyes of the world to high flying IMO. Still love those old matches.
  • NWA TNA Amazing Red from back in the era of THE SAT. I'm talking back when the X-Division belt first hit. I'm talking vs Low Ki and Jerry Lynn and Styles. Early TNA was amazing and Amazing Red was a big part of it. I truly wish that The SAT had stuck around with him. Things fell apart almost immediately upon the era of six sided rings, network deals and dudes like Kazarian/Bentley hogging the division.
  • Masato Yoshino's entire career. Speed Muscle was an amazing tag team but his title chase and runs in Dragongate were fantastic. I love this guy.
  • Katsuyori Shibata's entire career. My god was he great to watch. He was like Inoki reborn with strong style demons possessing him. Just monstrous and golden.
  • The original Mistico era that put Sin Cara in the crosshairs of WWE. Dude's run was fire in Mexico. Just back to back amazing matches filled with terrific style and many many counters. He wasn't always the botch fest he sadly became. Back then...no question was he one of the best things to see.
  • RVD's return to ECW run. So good. Him vs Sabu and Lynn and Rhyno. My God did he make things look impactful out there. Crowd was infectious and nothing was more original. Stellar years to behold.

Red was so good during this time, I think he could have been huge

We need to have a talk about RVD friend.

Benoit's a sore point. He was my favourite wrestler growing up, but when he did what he did I just stopped giving a shit about celebrity worship. If a person's a terrible human being I wouldn't list them on my fave 100 even if they're the best in a field.

That's understandable. I am still entertained by his matches, but I totally see where you're coming from. But what's wrong with RVD? lol

Fave Five:

1) Ibushi
2) Kenny Omega
3) ZSJ
4) Ishii
5) Takahashi

Naito, SANADA, Suzuki, and Tonga aren't far behind (Yano is my secret No.1) then in the WWE Braun, Joe, Ember, the Usos and the Fashion Police are my faves.

That's understandable. I am still entertained by his matches, but I totally see where you're coming from. But what's wrong with RVD? lol

I just feel if you see RVD vs Lynn it's a stunning match. However, you've already seen everything they have to offer and they never change it up. People like to shit on Cena for his move-set but RVD's matches are so much more limited, with that said he's one of the best at selling big spots.

shaowebb

Current in ring performers right now?

• Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Kenny Omega
  • Tetsuya Naito
  • Zach Sabre Jr
  • AJ Styles
  • Pentagon Jr

Remember though...divisions make a lot of difference. Some wrestlers like Nak, ZSJ, and Styles can go anywhere, wrestle anybody and it'll be golden. Others are amazing and having some of the best runs of their lives because the division they are in suits their style and they have a great selection of ring partners to highlight their strengths. Some talent gets lost in the wrong fed or division...currently I think the guys I didn't list as exceptions up there are red hot because they have found good homes for their style of ring work. NJPW and to a degree Lucha Underground are amazing feds right now because of this...so many talented guys fit the product they go for that were just passed over in other feds and their divisions have become littered with great talent built to stabilize the strengths of these folks.
Red was so good during this time, I think he could have been huge

Agreed. He was just fire out there. Again a case of right style for the right division at the right time. Guy was amazing and the TRIOS style of The SAT with Amazing Red was just beautifully fast and suited to rapid counters and high spots...things that Red excelled at. But a leg injury outside the company, an influx of talent that didn't wanna put over folks, and a loss of supporting cast left him alone and slower in a division that wasn't gonna go out of its way to push him anymore. Sad he fizzled out, but in the right division he was a heaven sent ratings machine built to make crowds go nuts.

They should've pushed TRIOS wrestling with lucha style tag rules of when one man leaves the ring his partner can enter to become the legal man. It was fast, and it was popular due to Red/SAT sets vs XXX and The Flying Elvises. With some more serious teams put together (perhaps an early Motor City Machine Guns with a 3rd?) it could've held viewers.

Menome

Never trust a man with Tommy Dreamer in his Fave Five.

From what I've read/heard, he's at least one of the good guys backstage, stamping down on the bullying if he sees it going on. That's enough for him to get the thumbs up from me.

Overall

1. Naito
2. Omega
3. Suzuki
4. Okada
5. ZSJ

5 would have been Shibata :'(

Just WWE:

1. Owens
2. Bobby Roode
3. Alexa Bliss
4. Samoa Joe
5. Braun or Nikki Cross

Anth0ny

There hasn't been a single Braun match where I came out of it thinking "That was a fucking sick ass match."

I can say that for all 5 of my top 5... from matches that took place over the last 5 days.

Menome

Oh man. Just checked my mouth out in the mirror and my tongue is luminous yellow.

If I die, OwensIsNow can have my array of wrestling .gifs, Zach gets my copy of The Secret History of Twin Peaks and SweeneyTom gets my Timothy Dalton poster-collection.

Beefy

Oh man. Just checked my mouth out in the mirror and my tongue is luminous yellow.

If I die, OwensIsNow can have my array of wrestling .gifs, Zach gets my copy of The Secret History of Twin Peaks and SweeneyTom gets my Timothy Dalton poster-collection.

What shit you been eating?

There hasn't been a single Braun match where I came out of it thinking "That was a fucking sick ass match."

I can say that for all 5 of my top 5... from matches that took place over the last 5 days.

Yeah, Braun's great but really thrives in the current WWE style of Focus On Moments

You don't remember the Matches, you remember the Moments. Like blindsiding Reigns off the ramp, or making Reigns run into the ambulance, or tipping another ambulance, or I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU

Forkball

I'm going to a DDT show tomorrow.
WFgXhir.jpg

○ KO-D Openweight Championship Match
Konosuke Takeshita (c) vs. Keisuke Ishii
○ KO-D Tag Championship Match
Irie Shigehiro & Higuchi Kazuyasu (c) vs. Ishikawa Shuji & Mad Poeley <Challenger group>
&#9675; DDT EXTREME Division Championship Match ~ Ladder Match
Sasaki Daisuke (c) vs Joey Ryan
&#9675; Special tag match
Masahiro Takanashi & Saki Akai vs Oishi Shinko & Saishin Ami
&#9675; Road to Ryogoku 4WAY Tag Match
HARASHIMA & Saka Takao vs KUDO & Seiko Sakaguchi vs. Akito & Diego vs Mike Bailey & MAO
&#9675; Hirata Collection A. T. & Gorgeous Matsuno Deportation Match
Takagi Sanshiro & Ohashi Toru & Hirata Collection A.T. vs Men's Dino & Antonio Honda & Oya Ken
&#9675; Tetsuya Endo vs Katsumata Kokuma
&#9675; Under Match
Iwasaki Takaki vs Shimomura Daiki

I'm gonna be honest... I don't know who any of these people are outside of Joey Ryan. Should be fun though. I'LL REPORT BACK

I'm going to a DDT show tomorrow.
WFgXhir.jpg

&#9675; KO-D Openweight Championship Match
Konosuke Takeshita (c) vs. Keisuke Ishii
&#9675; KO-D Tag Championship Match
Irie Shigehiro & Higuchi Kazuyasu (c) vs. Ishikawa Shuji & Mad Poeley <Challenger group>
&#9675; DDT EXTREME Division Championship Match ~ Ladder Match
Sasaki Daisuke (c) vs Joey Ryan
&#9675; Special tag match
Masahiro Takanashi & Saki Akai vs Oishi Shinko & Saishin Ami
&#9675; Road to Ryogoku 4WAY Tag Match
HARASHIMA & Saka Takao vs KUDO & Seiko Sakaguchi vs. Akito & Diego vs Mike Bailey & MAO
&#9675; Hirata Collection A. T. & Gorgeous Matsuno Deportation Match
Takagi Sanshiro & Ohashi Toru & Hirata Collection A.T. vs Men's Dino & Antonio Honda & Oya Ken
&#9675; Tetsuya Endo vs Katsumata Kokuma
&#9675; Under Match
Iwasaki Takaki vs Shimomura Daiki

I'm gonna be honest... I don't know who any of these people are outside of Joey Ryan. Should be fun though. I'LL REPORT BACK

Enjoy!

Top Bottom