• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Get word to Zach that now that I've finished it, Season 8 Simpsons is a massive drop in quality from 7. It's not bad, it's just not nearly as good.

Please let this Joe/ Brock match go more than 10 minutes

vs. Orton at SummerSlam: 11:45

vs. Ambrose at WrestleMania 32: 12:50

vs. Wyatt Family at Roadblock: 4:00

vs Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose at Fastlane: 17:38

So, Joe vs. Lesnar should go just over ten minutes.

UberTag

Get word to Zach that now that I've finished it, Season 8 Simpsons is a massive drop in quality from 7. It's not bad, it's just not nearly as good.
Any diehard Simpsons fan could have told you this.
Best seasons are 4 and 6. You can round out the Top 3 by picking your favorite between 3, 5 and 7. 8 is a clear step down. Classic era effectively ends with the pre-Scully holdover episodes scattered throughout Season 9.

There are still good episodes after that... but the consistency of quality is a thing of the past.

Syder

Kinda dumb how emotional about a title he didn't win clean and only happened because of am injury.
Owens

It's fucking fake

You're an actor and the title is a prop
This level of cynicism is just obnoxious
Imagine feeling like you accomplished something in predetermined sports

Imagine living that life
Yeah fuck him for making good money, enjoying what he does and being proud of it.

What a loser.
Are titles feeling like a shoot really that good for wrestling? If you can trick a performer into thinking he's accomplished something by booking him to win a fake Championship… instead of say, encouraging them to create good storylines and matches… I don't know, feels like a good way to get people to not air their concerns with booking if they get a title for a little bit.

I imagine traveling with LIJ is a lot like traveling with the NWO, or DX

tumblr_ol8xofvH551r177fvo1_400.gif

KoqlSfw.jpg

Any diehard Simpsons fan could have told you this.
Best seasons are 4 and 6. You can round out the Top 3 by picking your favorite between 3, 5 and 7. 8 is a clear step down. Classic era effectively ends with the pre-Scully holdover episodes scattered throughout Season 9.

There are still good episodes after that... but the consistency of quality is a thing of the past.
Whenever I see comments about the golden age I always see 8 and/or 9 included. Even here jabronies hold them in the same regard as 3-7. Maybe it's placebo, but it just feels different post 7.

Syder

Whenever I see comments about the golden age I always see 8 and/or 9 included. Even here jabronies hold them in the same regard as 3-7. Maybe it's placebo, but it just feels different post 7.
Some of my favourite Simpsons episodes are in Seasons 8 and 9.

Are titles feeling like a shoot really that good for wrestling? If you can trick a performer into thinking he's accomplished something by booking him to win a fake Championship... instead of say, encouraging them to create good storylines and matches... I don't know, feels like a good way to get people to not air their concerns with booking if they get a title for a little bit.

o_O

What?

A) I mean we're talking about Kevin Owens here, he has storytelling and match skills in spades.

B) There's nothing there that's treating the title like a shoot.

He's just proud of himself for having busted his ass and gotten recognition for it by being trusted as their champion.

Are you guys seriously that devoid of sentiment that you can't for a second understand why Owens might feel a bit emotional and proud of this, regardless of how it happened. This is getting literally absurd.

Shitting on a guy for being happy and proud. Get a grip.

Syder

o_O

What?

A) I mean we're talking about Kevin Owens here, he has storytelling and match skills in spades.

B) There's nothing there that's treating the title like a shoot.

He's just proud of himself for having busted his ass and gotten recognition for it by being trusted as their champion.

Are you guys seriously that devoid of sentiment that you can't for a second understand why Owens might feel a bit emotional and proud of this, regardless of how it happened.
I'm not talking about Owens specifically though. I'm talking about the culture in wrestling of treating the top title like a shoot.

I'm not talking about Owens specifically. I'm talking about the culture in wrestling of treating the top title like a shoot.

What in that video was treating the title as a shoot?

Like what are you even talking about.

Would you shit on someone being happy they won an oscar or an emmy?

This is all pretty pathetic TBH I was gonna share that video because I thought it represented a nice human moment in Owens' life and here some of y'all are acting like he's some king loser over it. Like if even this bothers you I go back to what I've always said... why are you watching? Like if you feel the need to criticize how they celebrate a title change backstage... maybe you should find something that actually makes you happy.

Nekofrog

Banned
Some of my favourite Simpsons episodes are in Seasons 8 and 9.

that's the thing. 3-7 is prime, prime gold era. but there are still golden episodes that come in in, 7, 8, and 9. it's just that after that after 7 they're a lot fewer. and by season 9 it's sparse

Syder

What in that video was treating the title as a shoot?

Like what are you even talking about.

Would you shit on someone being happy they won an oscar or an emmy?
I'll say it again, I wasn't talking about Owens specifically.

I'm asking the question; is that culture good for the business? We know people have literally killed themselves for that push.

The film industry is just like wrestling in that it incentivises killing yourself or ruining your health for Oscar-worthy performances.

People should have a healthy respect for the top title, yes, but why is it so odd to not expect people to go crazy for it.

Joe/Brock interview segment was great. '96 energy dripping from that segment. Love how it felt like 2 real people talking and responding to each other.

I'll say it again, I wasn't talking about Owens specifically.

I'm asking the question; is that culture good for the business? We know people have literally killed themselves for that push.

The film industry is just like wrestling in that it incentivises killing yourself or ruining your health for Oscar-worthy performances.

People should have a health respect for the top title, yes, but why is it so odd to not expect people to go crazy for it.

What culture? A brief moment of pride right after winning a title?

Are you honestly being serious about this?

I mean you can expect people not to get emotional if you want but doesn't mean you should shit on them if they do by making fun of their reaction to it or absurdly judging them.

Syder

What culture? A brief moment of pride right after winning a title?
If you're not interested in the debate and want to just talk about the Owens video, that's fine, I don't care how individuals react to their personal achievements whether that's wrestling championships or acting accolades, that's their business, but I don't know why you're so shocked that some people in here don't think that's a healthy attitude to have towards the title, given the history of wrestling has shown the negatives of such a culture.
wtzgU.gif

I've never understood the hate for that episode. Is it because the episode isn't that funny or because it tramples on the established canon? I think it speaks to fan entitlement.

Canon reasons, which always seemed a bit silly to me since the series has always played fast and loose with canon.

If you're not interested in the debate and want to just talk about the Owens video, that's fine, I don't care how individuals react to their personal achievements whether that's wrestling championships or acting accolades, that's their business, but I don't know why you're so shocked that some people in here don't think that's a healthy attitude to have towards the title, given the history of wrestling has shown the negatives of such a culture.
wtzgU.gif

I mean you clearly do care how they react since you've now implied being emotional/caring/prideful about winning the title is an unhealthy attitude...

Nor have you really explained how they treat the main title like a shoot....

What is your suggestion here to combat this whatever culture you keep lumping in caring about being champion into.

I mean you suggested they instead be prideful of good storytelling and match quality but that's just as likely to motivate them to kill themselves in the ring as getting congratulated for winning a title and feeling happy about it.

Maybe I'm just not clear on what you're trying to say, if so apologies.

I don't care what anyone says, that's a damn good episode.

I've never understood the hate for that episode. Is it because the episode isn't that funny or because it tramples on the established canon? I think it speaks to fan entitlement.
Just finished the ep. Besides the car gag, I didn't think anything else was that funny. And the canon thing bugs me. A 8 or 9 year investment in a character gets WWEd. To pop a rating!

UberTag

I don't disagree with you on this at all. The episode is underrated and boasts the best characterization of the entire series for Agnes along with some solid character work from Skinner, Edna and Marge. The eventual resolution was rather amusing as well... as was the callback when they pulled the same reset button stunt for Snowball II in Season 15's I D'oh-Bot.

The other non-Scully episodes from Season 9, incidentally, are The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson, Lisa's Sax, All Singing, All Dancing, The Joy of Sect, Lisa the Simpson and Simpson Tide.

XenoRaven

I only watch RAW in YouTube clips now but it seems like it's been good three weeks in a row. Power of June/July? Or maybe just power of Joe?

Syder

Canon reasons, which always seemed a bit silly to me since the series has always played fast and loose with canon.
Just finished the ep. Besides the car gag, I didn't think anything else was that funny. And the canon thing bugs me. A 8 or 9 year investment in a character gets WWEd. To pop a rating!
I don't disagree with you on this at all. The episode is underrated and boasts the best characterization of the entire series for Agnes along with some solid character work from Skinner, Edna and Marge. The eventual resolution was rather amusing as well... as was the callback when they pulled the same reset button stunt for Snowball II in Season 15's I D'oh-Bot.
I think the episode is good as it is, nothing special but not deserving of all the ridiculous hate it gets, especially considering how much the quality of the series tanked in later years.

I mean you clearly do care how they react since you've now implied being emotional/caring/prideful about winning the title is an unhealthy attitude...

Nor have you really explained how they treat the main title like a shoot....

What is your suggestion here to combat this whatever culture you keep lumping in caring about being champion into.

I mean you suggested they instead be prideful of good storytelling and match quality but that's just as likely to motivate them to kill themselves in the ring as getting congratulated for winning a title and feeling happy about it.

I do seriously question why anyone would watch wrestling if they think so little of the performers that they'd judge them as having an unhealthy attitude for being emotional about a title.

Maybe I'm just not clear on what you're trying to say, if so apologies.
There were mutiple people down on Owens' reaction. I don't care personally what he does backstage, I was playing devils advocate to your question of why anyone would dislike it. Maybe just fans should treat titles like they're real, not wrestlers. I think there are significant examples of people ruining themselves for a push; guys like Benoit and Eddie, and more recently, Shibata and Bryan, ruining themselves for the top spot.

Is what Jinder has done recently healthy given the history of wrestling?

I think the episode is good as it is, nothing special but not deserving of all the ridiculous hate it gets, especially considering how much the quality of the series tanked in later years.

There were mutiple people down on Owens' reaction. I don't care personally what he does backstage, I was playing devils advocate to your question of why anyone would dislike it. Maybe just fans should treat titles like they're real, not wrestlers. I think there are significant examples of people ruining themselves for a push; guys like Benoit and Eddie, and more recently, Shibata and Bryan, ruining themselves for the top spot.

Is what Jinder has done recently healthy given the history of wrestling?

You keep saying the wrestlers treat the title like it's real, but you've shown no proof of this.

Top spot isn't just a title, it's extra money, more TV time, main event slots, etc... If they stopped caring about the title they'd still care about all those.

Shibata would have killed himself in any major match not just a title match because Shibata clearly cares about match quality and Bryan would kill himself to work a hair vs mask match in CMLL because he's just obsessed with wrestling period (I mean his last injury came while he was IC midcard so) , none of that has anything to do with being emotional about winning a title.

If Jinder is juicing, and I really am not interested in that debate either, he didn't do it to be WWE champion, that that happened is beside the point, he did it for a push period, if there was no WWE title he'd still have done it for want of getting noticed.

Btw wish you had just let me know you were playing devil's advocate... that makes the conversation we were having make a lot more sense. That said I don't really like engaing in devil's advocate debates (nothing personal), so I think I'll just end this here.

Cheers and have a goodnight/morning/afternoon depending on wherever you are.

UberTag

It's especially absurd given that it's but two seasons removed from legitimate crap episodes that stunk up the house in Season 11 like Beyond Blunderdome, Saddlesore Galactica, Missionary: Impossible and Kill the Alligator and Run.

Ronin Ray

Finished night 2 of the g1 special and holy shit that main event was great. I'm fully on the New Japan bandwagon. I really enjoyed night 2 I just can't get over the whole Billy Gunn thing still.

It's especially absurd given that it's but two seasons removed from legitimate crap episodes that stunk up the house in Season 11 like Beyond Blunderdome, Saddlesore Galactica, Missionary: Impossible and Kill the Alligator and Run.

Saddlesore was fun, but Kill the Alligator and Run might be legitimately one of the worst episode I've ever seen.

Hex

Banned
Laughing about the top NJPW star going to watch Raw?
I don't see Roman at the dome to watch his betters, brother.

No, because WWE fires people on the spot.
Even Roman would not be unpunished
Are you really that stupid to even begin to build some Okada to WWE off of this? Really?
Okada and NJPW give no fucks they are secure

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the idea that Joe would have no chance vs Brock was already shit before, but this great build up they have had (props on the wwe for once) only makes it worse :(

Stall19

Okada is probably just staying to watch Nakamura the next night. He's been backstage at several wwe events as well. He makes too much money and is too pushed to want to ever leave New Japan.

Top Bottom