• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2004 NPD Video Game Sales Data (Wedbush Morgan Report)

Hero

A 'Smash Pack' of a Gamecube w/ SSB:M and an extra controller + memory card would probably do well.

I don't think I've ever seen my BB store have SSB:M in stock consistently. It sells out in the first week of us putting it out. Nintendo needs to drop it to 19.99.

AniHawk

Hero said:
Nintendo needs to drop it to 19.99.

I don't know. SSBM sold 50k again last month, after being at around 35k-40k for a while. It seems to come and go. I was gonna give them until summer, I think they'll do it in the fall or early next year. That way it can have sustained high sales into 2005 and 2006.

Hero

Yeah, it does sell well, I'm sure they're not complaining, but still.

At any rate, Nintendo NEEDS to do something with the 'Cube this holiday season. They can't expect just the 99.99 price tag to carry them.

In all honesty, I think a GCN + GBA (SP?) bundle for 99.99 (129.99?) would do the trick. Throw in a link cable, and a connectivity game (sweeten up Namco a little and throw in Pacman VS). That has potential.

Or bring back a free new game or GBP deal.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Hi Anihawk. Do you happpen to have the sales for Red Dead Revolver on Xbox and PS2 respectively?

Do you have the cummulative sales?

*crosses fingers*

AniHawk

boutrosinit said:
Hi Anihawk. Do you happpen to have the sales for Red Dead Revolver on Xbox and PS2 respectively?

Do you have the cummulative sales?

*crosses fingers*

Only US sales (LTD):

PS2: 227,686
XBX: 134,313
TOTAL: 361,199

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
AniHawk said:
Only US sales (LTD):

PS2: 227,686
XBX: 134,313
TOTAL: 361,199

AniHawk, I thank thee with much thankage

For your troubles, a picture of a pretty lady

Angela-f.jpg

You the man.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Li Mu Bai said:
I dunno, SSBM perhaps? Check the sales data.
It's the GC's best-seller and sells pretty consistently, yes, but I'm not sure it would drive bundle sales to people who didn't already want a GC, which is the target audience Nintendo seems to be having the most trouble with.

That's been one of the GC's core problems since the beginning: it's never really had a true killer-app. SSBM is a good game and a popular title, but it's no killer app. I'm not denying a SSBM bundle pack would sell better than the standalone GC currently is, but I don't know if it would make enough of a difference for Nintendo to lose the sales of the standalone SSBM SKU...especially since it's still selling quite briskly without the benefit of being PC.

I've said it before: Nintendo's not going to do any more price cuts or a GBA/GC bundle anytime soon -- definitely not anytime in 2004. They have the Metroid Prime bundle planned, and perhaps they'll cook up another collector's disc (ala Zelda) or preorder special (Paper Mario for Paper Mario 2, or Metroid Classics with Metroid Prime 2). That won't catapult the GC into second place this holiday, but it will keep the GC selling and software revenue flowing, and that's Nintendo's primary concern.

Think about it: is it really worth the lost revenue that would occur with a GBA/GCN bundle or SSBM bundle to tie or possibly pull a tiny bit ahead of Microsoft during the holidays (which would not even be guaranteed to happen)? The bottom line here is profit, not marketshare.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Anihawk... do you have US LTD for any of the following games?

Cubivore
Megaman Network Transmission
PN03
Harvest Moon: AWL (answered above - 168K)

Gradius III & IV
Silpheed: The Lost Planet
RType Final
Klonoa 2
Contra: SS
Harvest Moon: STH

Top Bottom