• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2004 NPD Video Game Sales Data (Wedbush Morgan Report)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
jarrod said:
Check your numbers again. GC is ahead over 3 million in Japan while XBox is 1.5 million ahead in the US (maybe close to 2 million with Canada), 500k-1 million across Europe and 500k in Asia/Pacific (outside Japan of course). "Without a doubt" you need a fact checker, both platforms are probably in a dead heat, or possibly a slight lead at best either way. It'll probably continue this way, though XBox will have one less year on the shelves which could see GC ahead in the end (like Genesis/SNES).

Also, the last company to throw in 2 free games was Microsoft. In fact they had to do it twice....

Speaking of Canada. Why can't we find someone to give us Canadian NPD figures? Just imagine a double dose of NPD goodness each month!!!

http://www.npdfunworld.com/funServlet?nextpage=pr_body.html&content_id=702

jarrod said:
No they need to get Arika cracking on Network Transmission 2.

ISAWTP

jedimike

More fun with numbers...

First half of 2003 (Jan-Jun)

Xbox= 944,394 GC= 721,322

We all know that Nintendo was forced into the $99 price drop so they would meet Fiscal Year sales expectations. They ended up edging the Xbox by over 100K for the year, but were still a million short of meeting company goals.

First half of 2004 (Jan - Jun)

Xbox= 1,370,793 GC= 713,905

Nintendo sales are basically equal with last years at this point, but does Nintendo have anything left in the tank to spur on sales for the Holidays? Bundling doesn't have nearly the effect as a price drop. MS knows this first hand.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
Bundling doesn't have nearly the effect as a price drop. MS knows this first hand.
I dunno, the JSRF/Sega GT bundle took everyone by surprise performance wise. The PS2 GT3 bundle was hugely successful also as has the Halo bundle been... I think it really just takes the right software. That said, I don't think Metroid Prime is the right software. :/

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jarrod said:
I dunno, the JSRF/Sega GT bundle took everyone by surprise performance wise. The PS2 GT3 bundle was hugely successful also as has the Halo bundle been... I think it really just takes the right software. That said, I don't think Metroid Prime is the right software. :/
Yeah...I don't know if there is even one GC title out there at present that could qualify as the right one to drive a bundle.

jedimike

jarrod said:

Bundles may be successful, but they don't have the same effect. Last year MS still had bundles. This year they don't have a bundle, but they had a price drop and they are 400k units ahead of where they were last year.

BeOnEdge said:
I wonder what nintendo will do this fall? they really have nowhere to go. it will be very interesting. 2 free games maybe? 3? sega tried 3 free with saturn in the end too. LOL.

Yes, because MS never did these...

B00006RH5L.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

XBOX-BUNDLE.jpg

7404850016_det.jpg

xbox-spring-bundle-hk1.jpg

Deg

Banned
The Xbox bundles have been quite good. Clone Wars and tetris last year, JSRF and SEGA GT the year before. The '2' free games does make a difference. Notice the emphasis on '2' :p

1 free game is old hat :p

Nintendo will be fine however.

More concerned about Activison.

jarrod

Banned
human5892 said:
Yeah...I don't know if there is even one GC title out there at present that could qualify as the right one to drive a bundle.
I think a Mario bundle would have more weight, Mario still has pull with casuals. Maybe have a combination of Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart or a Zelda syle Mario Collection (NES SMB1-3+64). Then again, a Mario Compilation might eat into sales of the Mario Advance series and the upcoming Mario 64x4 on DS.

It'd be nice if the upcoming Prime bundle had Metroid 1-3 thrown on a bonus disc.

jedimike said:
Bundles may be successful, but they don't have the same effect. Last year MS still had bundles. This year they don't have a bundle, but they had a price drop and they are 400k units ahead of where they were last year.
They just had the Halo bundle this spring.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jarrod said:
I think a Mario bundle would have more weight, Mario still has pull with casuals. Maybe have a combination of Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart or a Zelda syle Mario Collection (NES SMB1-3+64). Then again, a Mario Compilation might eat into sales of the Mario Advance series and the upcoming Mario 64x4 on DS.
Well, they had the Mario Sunshine bundle for a while there...I'm not sure exactly what kind of sales that drove, though. A classic Mario disc would sell greatly, but I don't think that would ever happen; as you said, the GBA ports just sell way too much for that.

Mario Kart seems like it might be a good idea, especially since it sold so well. Maybe they could throw in a Mario 64 port at the risk of cannabalizing the 4x4 version on the DS?

Memles

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! + Extra Mario Controller (The Exclusive Club Nintendo One) + GCN = $100.

That would be my move, personally.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
BeOnEdge said:
427k!!!!! i'm still on the floor from that one. good god. anyway, without a doubt, ms is #2 worldwide now. even though the end of this gen, japan will not help nintendo. put it like this. japan is 3 million ahead in GCs favor. US is 2m in XBs favor, atleast 1m in EU and another 1 in australia where GC is non existant. as long as US or EU keep XB as their 2nd choice console, the sales will always make up for MS dire situation in japan. BTW, i have reschedules the UPRISING 'til september. :) I wonder what nintendo will do this fall? they really have nowhere to go. it will be very interesting. 2 free games maybe? 3? sega tried 3 free with saturn in the end too. LOL.
dude, MS arent that far ahead, they are only ahead by about 180K, but tht gap is gonna increase due to Halo 2. Halo 2 aint gonna do shit to Sony but its really gonna hurt Nintendo and I'm not sure if Zelda GC can make up for gamecube sales by the time this generation ends. If MS does end up second, then I've gotta say congrats to them.

Anyway, thanks for answering my question about Japan/Asia/Australia sale numbers Jedimike

Izzy

Banned
Man, those are really surprising numbers. If Sony is kicking this much ass now, what will happen in the Fall, when MGS3, GT4 and GTA:SA launch?

jarrod

Banned
psycho_snake said:
Anyway, thanks for answering my question about Japan/Asia/Australia sale numbers Jedimike
So are Sony and Nintendo's Korea/Australia/China/Hong Kong/New Zealand numbers included or are those Japan only for GC/PS2/GBA?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I don't know but Xbox has sold 446,632 units in Japan since it's launch and I doubt that the rest of Asia would even manage to match that amount, let alone more than double it.
In Korea they are around 60-70k, don't have much clue about other regions, but if it's covered similarly as PS2, total probably doesn't break 200k.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
To clear some things up,Australia and New Zeald belong to Asia region according to MS.

According to MS interview in January thier installed base is around 50% higher then GC i.e for every 10 GCs there are 15 XBs in german households.
Also according to him they are also ahead of GC in whole of Europe,but no concrete numbers,doubt Nintendo pulled ahead since then.

BeOnEdge

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:
Your credibility went down after the uprising flop, Nintendo should sell 3 million consoles this fall($99.99) in the U.S. MS should pull 2.5 this fall and Sony could be around 3.5-4 million.

OH MY GOD!!!! MESSEGE BOARD CREDIBILITY AGAIN!!! OH NO!!! OH NO!!!! THE POSTERS WILL NOT LIKE ME!!! OH NO!!! who cares! LOL!!! :) if you think the GC will outsell the xbox this fall, YOU are the one who should be worried about ones credibility.

acklame

didn't bother to read through 5 pages of spin, denial, and some more spin

but looks like atari got driver3owned. weren't they expecting some absurd number from the title?

jarrod

Banned
Over the US holidays (Nov+Dec) I'd expect...

PS2: 3 million
XBox: 2 million
GC: 1.5 million
GBA: 3.5 million
DS: 1 million (supply restricted)

...most likely.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i think it'll more dependant on how the GC fares up thru october. the only reason it sold 100k this month was because of 4 swords IMO. without any other major titles til fall, the GC loses even more mindshare than it already has while the XB and PS2 keep the hits coming. that negativity for nintendo and positivity for sony and MS will carry christmas.

It'll be Sony, MS then Nintendo this Holiday. If Nintendo doesn't make some kind of move this holiday, i'd say they've just about given up on the GC because that's what it seems like now.

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
i think it'll more dependant on how the GC fares up thru october. the only reason it sold 100k this month was because of 4 swords IMO. without any other major titles til fall, the GC loses even more mindshare than it already has while the XB and PS2 keep the hits coming. that negativity for nintendo and positivity for sony and MS will carry christmas.
Er... keep reaching. PS2/Xbox aren't exactly bursting with major summer releases either, how do you come to the conclusion GC will lose enough mindshare in a insignificant period (summer) to actually affect the most important season (holidays)? Actually, Nintendo has a record of having the greatest gains in the 4th quarter (it's when they move something like 60% of their product).

Though really, your reasoning is invalid anyway considering GC has a few summer releases that rank as more important than Four Swords (Tales of Symphonia, WWE and Pikmin 2 being the notbale big exclusives, with solid multiplatform support like Madden, NCAA, Catwoman, SRS, Digimon, NASCAR, T3, etc).

NWO

SolidSnakex said:
It'll be Sony, MS then Nintendo this Holiday. If Nintendo doesn't make some kind of move this holiday, i'd say they've just about given up on the GC because that's what it seems like now.

That would be MS that's giving up on their console after this Christmas....Cube still has 2005 with a little thing called Realistic Zelda.....

And I don't really think Nintendo gives a fuck what position they are in the US if they are still rolling in the dough (minus EA) over everyone else. Just ask Sega which one is more important: profits or amount of consoles sold

"Er... keep reaching. PS2/Xbox aren't exactly bursting with major summer releases either,"

GTA, GT4 and MGS3 aren't major? You've got 2 of those franchises which take up the top 3 best selling games this gen. That's about as major as you can get. And MGS3 is huge too.

Matt

SolidSnakex said:
"Er... keep reaching. PS2/Xbox aren't exactly bursting with major summer releases either,"

GTA, GT4 and MGS3 aren't major? You've got 2 of those franchises which take up the top 3 best selling games this gen. That's about as major as you can get. And MGS3 is huge too.
He did say summer releases.

bheemer

pikmin tales and those other games you listed are all niche games. they might be great games (havent played any of them) but they only appeal to a small amount of people.

thats like me saying xbox has the blockbusters panzer dragoon orta. it was a great game, to very few. it doenst have the widespread appeal.

panzer tanked in sales as will tales and pikmin 2.

you have to compare guaranteed sellers like halo 2, gt4 and gta sa. gc has nothing this year that is like that.

metroid prime 2 will come but the first one while a good game didnt sell as well as it should have. hence i dont think the second will either.

Flatbread

Xbox sales as a percentage of PS2 sales in NA since june 2003

june 2003 38%
july 44%
august 50%
september 52
october 59
november 58
december 57
january 2004 57
febuary 56
march 67
april 1.58
may 86
june 61

so you see where the xbox is gaining, even this pass month was better than anything since febuary of 2004. Although PS2 is the dominant market, you have to be blind to not see the trend. The next 3-4 months should be interesting, as we will get some settling of where things are at before christmas.

I can see why alot of people thought the xbox would be closer this month, but that really was too much too soon in terms of what to expect. I think it will be around the march figure of .67 for the next 3 months.

more figures for thoughts

BeOnEdge

Banned
they dont need to be major releases jarrod. look at GCs top 10 without 4 swords. its pathetic. without some big nintendo game, the numbers are guaranteed to go back down until fall.

Link316

Banned
NWO said:
That would be MS that's giving up on their console after this Christmas....Cube still has 2005 with a little thing called Realistic Zelda.....

realistically Zelda won't do much of anything for the GC, given Nintendo's history of delays it probably won't make it out until the end of 2005/early 2006

Link316

Banned
jarrod said:
Er... keep reaching. PS2/Xbox aren't exactly bursting with major summer releases either, how do you come to the conclusion GC will lose enough mindshare in a insignificant period (summer) to actually affect the most important season (holidays)?

Spiderman 2 is pretty major imo, and even if you think there aren't any major releases helping the PS2 and Xbox gain during this period, they've still been accomplishing it through their hardware price cuts

BOE, I'm not really seeing the summer releases for Xbox that are making Nintendo lose mindshare. I probably shouldn't be making predictions (addressing the man who has egg on his face), but I'd say TOS outsells Sudeki in July and through the end of August.

From this moment on I'm going to stay out the prediction market, gaming is to unpredictable. I see alot of you discount MP2 and RE4 as big holiday games, I would even as far as adding Paper Mario as this years MK:DD as a Nintendo I.P.

This is my last prediction.

AniHawk

Link316 said:
realistically Zelda won't do much of anything for the GC, given Nintendo's history of delays it probably won't make it out until the end of 2005/early 2006

No one's expecting it to come out Spring 2005. I think everyone knows it'll be out Fall 2005. Besides, Nintendo hasn't given us a date, and by the time it reaches US shores, it will have been 3 years in development and planning.

And I don't think any Nintendo-developed game this gen has been delayed for more than two weeks.

jarrod

Banned
bheemer said:
pikmin tales and those other games you listed are all niche games. they might be great games (havent played any of them) but they only appeal to a small amount of people.
Pikmin 2 will outsell every summer XBox release.

bheemer said:
panzer tanked in sales as will tales and pikmin 2.
Early reports seem to indicate the opposite for Tales actually. And Pikmin's an EAD proberty, so at least 500k is assurred. ;)

bheemer said:
you have to compare guaranteed sellers like halo 2, gt4 and gta sa. gc has nothing this year that is like that.

metroid prime 2 will come but the first one while a good game didnt sell as well as it should have. hence i dont think the second will either.
I agree with that in terms of huge releases, though GameCube has a healthy lineup regardless this fall, even if it's missing a singular killer app. It'll do fine, not as well as last year or beat out XBox but people like BOE comparing the platform to Saturn is downright laughable.

BeOnEdge said:
they dont need to be major releases jarrod. look at GCs top 10 without 4 swords. its pathetic. without some big nintendo game, the numbers are guaranteed to go back down until fall.
Your reasoning is shit. Keep digging...

Link316 said:
Spiderman 2 is pretty major imo,
I'd agree. It's also on GameCube. BOE's whole argument hinged PS2/XBox succeeding in an area GC was lacking.

Link316 said:
and even if you think there aren't any major releases helping the PS2 and Xbox gain during this period, they've still been accomplishing it through their hardware price cuts
True, I'm not arguing summer hardware performance though, rather I'm arguing against the insane notion that GC's summer software lineup will somehow effect it's performance/mindshare this Christmas.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
jarrod, you are a sage. You beat me to many of those responses, as I was thinking exactly the same thing as I read through BOE's & especially bheemer's non-sensical ramblings. Pikmin a niche title? It's quite possible that he has no grasp of what this word means. 600k+ individuals seem to think differently. PDO should never be mentioned in the same breath as Pikmin sales performance wise, due to Pikmin boasting over a million+ between JPN & NA alone. TOS will tank? Similar to how FF:CC tanked right?

jarrod

Banned
Yep... I'm betting ToS breaks 300k and Pikmin 2 manages 600k before Christmas. Not huge numbers but well above niche and lightyears beyond Orta.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
jarrod said:
Yep... I'm betting ToS breaks 300k and Pikmin 2 manages 600k before Christmas. Not huge numbers but well above niche and lightyears beyond Orta.

Though jarrod, those numbers alone would push Pikmin 2 past a million, & TOS at 700k+ in NA & JPN. Those are indeed significant sales numbers.

Grubdog

Banned
GameCube + SSBM + Mario Kart + extra controller Multiplayer bundle for $129 would outsell Xbox...

I'm not sure if Pikmin 2 will sell as well as Pikmin did, in the US. Donkey Konga is a game everyone is underestimating, I predict that to be over 1 million in the US by the end of the year. ;)

AniHawk

Yeah, SSBM + MKDD would do the trick. Top selling multiplayer games on the system (and the two fastest selling games on the system).

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
BeOnEdge said:
OH MY GOD!!!! MESSEGE BOARD CREDIBILITY AGAIN!!! OH NO!!! OH NO!!!! THE POSTERS WILL NOT LIKE ME!!! OH NO!!! who cares! LOL!!! :) if you think the GC will outsell the xbox this fall, YOU are the one who should be worried about ones credibility.
I'm gonna agree, Xbox will outsell GC this fall. Sure, Nintendo have Metriod Prime 2 and some other games, but it's not gonna be enough to counter halo 2, unless Halo 2 flops, which looks very unlikely. Nintendo have to make a bundle, they could bundle up a GC with MP2 for $99.99, which would sell like crazy and could very well outsell Xbox. They could also bundle SMS and Zelda: WW or they could bundle a couple of Multiplayer games.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yeah, SSBM + MKDD would do the trick. Top selling multiplayer games on the system (and the two fastest selling games on the system).

Wishful thinking, although SSBM+an extra controller I find to be very feasible. (esp. due to MKDD's relative newness) But SSBM has been a very consistent cash cow for Nintendo since launch, even after going PC. Speaking of, remember how long it took to go PC? They may have to simply bite the bullet on this one. Throw in SFA for the mainstream graphic whores to sweeten/sour the bundle while they're at it.

Top Bottom