• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2004 NPD Video Game Sales Data (Wedbush Morgan Report)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
psycho_snake said:
oops, that looks wrong:p. does anyone know what its supposed to be?
it is not the first time i saw a number over 1 million for asia area. (1.2 million being the last one)

someone wanna do me a favor and post March/April/May/June 2002 numbers?

Lazy8s said:
SolidSnakex:

Spike, but not momentum shift against the Xbox... unless there's some reason for believing those sequels have some completely new appeal to bring in a new audience (plus the old audience, and beyond proportional/natural growth from the total userbase) that the prequels didn't have.

Why does the PS2 need momentum shift? It's back to outselling the Xbox on a regular basis and shows no real sign of changing.

And I think with how the PS2 sells it shows that you can't really judge who does and doesn't have the system. So with 3 big games coming up and with all of them set to have huge marketig campaigns, I could see a big sales spike for the PS2.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
If you take the numbers that JC10001 gave us and replaced that with the Japan/asia numbers for Xbox then Nintendo will have a lead on Xbox by about 811,000 consoles. If anyone can give me correct asia numbers than I can find out the real difference.

jarrod

Banned
DopeyFish said:
it is not the first time i saw a number over 1 million for asia area. (1.2 million being the last one)

someone wanna do me a favor and post March/April/May/June 2002 numbers?
Microsoft likes to call it Asia/Pacific so they can throw in Australia's 500k in press releases. Problem being, AU is usually included in most PAL reports also... it's like double dipping.

Odysseus

Banned
I'll eat some crow. PS2 did a lot better than I expected. My Xbox/GCN predictions were not too far off, but were still low.

Parents buying consoles for their kids that are of school for the summer? That might be the case, June was a good month last year but July slid considerably.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
jarrod said:
Microsoft likes to call it Asia/Pacific so they can throw in Australia's 500k in press releases. Problem being, AU is usually included in most PAL reports also... it's like double dipping.

"It's like putting your whole mouth into the bowl"
george.jpg

border

SolidSnakex said:
So with 3 big games coming up and with all of them set to have huge marketig campaigns, I could see a big sales spike for the PS2.
Sorry, no, that's not the way it works. Everybody interested in GTA/MGS/GT already has a PS2. Everybody interested in Halo already has an Xbox. Everybody interested in Metroid already has a GameCube. These franchises will not attract anyone new -- it's going to be a terrible Christmas for the industry. Like that episode of Tales from the Crypt where there is an escaped maniac in a Santa suit....

border said:
Sorry, no, that's not the way it works. Everybody interested in GTA/MGS/GT already has a PS2. Everybody interested in Halo already has an Xbox. Everybody interested in Metroid already has a GameCube. These franchises will not attract anyone new -- it's going to be a terrible Christmas for the industry. Like that episode of Tales from the Crypt where there is an escaped maniac in a Santa suit....

Lets get some sales numbers from October 2002 when people were claiming that everyone interested in GTA already had a PS2.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
border said:
Everybody interested in Halo already has an Xbox.

Perhaps you didn't hear. Halo sold 100,000 copies last month (which was the 30th month that it's been on store shelves). Clearly, everyone who wants/likes Halo does not already own an Xbox. Halo 1 is still selling systems. Halo 2 will do the same.

border

SolidSnakex said:
Lets get some sales numbers from October 2002 when people were claiming that everyone interested in GTA already had a PS2.
Who cares? You can always be right when you hedge your prediction by saying something like "sales will not increase beyond proportional/natural growth from the total userbase". So even if there's a spike in growth, these people will just chalk it up as "normal" growth. It's particularly stupid to get into these arguments around Christmastime games anyhow. There's going to be a big spike in sales no matter what, and you'll never be able to prove whether it's just the effect of the holidays or whether it's the effect of a hot new game (why it has to be one or the other is beyond me).

Mrbob

The hardware argument is boring. PS2 is gonna crush the other two ho hum we know this already.

The software argument is more intriguing! I still say Halo 2 is gonna beat out San Andreas in November and December. :D GTA:SA may edge out Halo 2 this Xmas because it has the end of October to sell as well. The Xbox has a smaller userbase which is a strike against Hallllo 2. But look at those sales of Halo. One of the best legs ever I have seen for a game. How is the GTA, GTA:VC, and GTA Double Pack sales holding up?

"OHH BUT THEY HAVE EACH SOLD 6 million copies each in NA"

Yeah so what there are 24 million PS2 owners and 9.5 million Xbox owners in NA. :p

"Yeah so what there are 24 million PS2 owners and 9.5 million Xbox owners in NA. :p"

Which doesn't matter, if you're talking about which one will sell more the answer is SA because it's going to be selling to a bigger base. You can argue how much percentage of that base it'll sell to and then you can argue HALO 2 pretty easily.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Lukas said:
who are all these morons buying a ps2 when it hasnt had like a single good game this year.......

yeah, especially since they're not allowed to buy older releases.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
SolidSnakex:
Why does the PS2 need momentum shift?
Because the point being argued is whether the comparative year-over-year sales between the two platforms will end tighter.

border:
You can always be right when you hedge your prediction by saying something like "sales will not increase beyond proportional/natural growth from the total userbase".
To the point, you could just compare yearly marketshares to see whether anything had enough of an effect at changing momentum.

jedimike

psycho_snake said:
so does MS's Japan/asia sale numbers include Australia or not?

Yes, MS includes Aussie for their Asian numbers, but they don't double dip as jarrod suggested. The numbers you have are right from MS's financial statements. You should have some updated Xbox numbers in the next few days. I believe MS releases their statements this week.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lisa Lashes said:
So has the GCN come in last place for the first 6 months of this year in hardware sales?
In the U.S.? Yes. And I seriously doubt that they'll be coming in second in the monthlies anytime soon, barring a price drop or an extravagant bundle deal.

Greekboy

Banned
AirBrian said:
Exactly. Isn't GCN also ahead in Italy?

Who cares??!! Do you guys have stats for Turkey and Cyprus too? It's too close to call between Xbox and GCN for worldwide totals. Quit looking sad by crying over individual countries in Europe!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Lisa Lashes said:
Who cares??!! Do you guys have stats for Turkey and Cyprus too? It's too close to call between Xbox and GCN for worldwide totals. Quit looking sad by crying over individual countries in Europe!

I don't think it's crying so much as it is correcting Lukas' gross misrepresentation of the facts.

Greekboy

Banned
human5892 said:
In the U.S.? Yes. And I seriously doubt that they'll be coming in second in the monthlies anytime soon, barring a price drop or an extravagant bundle deal.

That sucks for Nintendo because the $99 price allowed them to gain some momentum. But seing that they were losing money on the hardware at that price, can we realistically expect them to drop price again?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lisa Lashes said:
That sucks for Nintendo because the $99 price allowed them to gain some momentum. But seing that they were losing money on the hardware at that price, can we realistically expect them to drop price again?
Yeah, that's actually what I was thinking, at least in the short-term. I don't think the GC will see another price cut for a while. Special packages -- like the upcoming MP bundle -- or bundle-in software seems more likely. They could also offer up GC/GBA bundles, as someone else suggested, but that goes back to what you're saying about losing money on the hardware, and thus seems like more of an option for the distant future.

Any way you slice it, it really does suck for Nintendo that their $99 momentum didn't carry further.

human5892 said:
Yeah, that's actually what I was thinking, at least in the short-term. I don't think the GC will see another price cut for a while. Special packages -- like the upcoming MP bundle -- or bundle-in software seems more likely.

They need to bundle something new in with the GC. 4 Swords might work. If it's possible it'd help alot ot include a Metroid Prime 2 and the E3 RE4 demo. I don't see them doing another pricedrop but a bundle would be nice.

Mrbob

SolidSnakex said:
They need to bundle something new in with the GC. 4 Swords might work. If it's possible it'd help alot ot include a Metroid Prime 2 and the E3 RE4 demo. I don't see them doing another pricedrop but a bundle would be nice.

Gamecube
4GBASPs
4 LINK Cables
4 swords

$99

I'd buy one.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Mrbob said:
Gamecube
4GBASPs
4 LINK Cables
4 swords

$99

I'd buy one.
That's not enough.

Throw in Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 2, and somehow a GC port of Halo 2 and people might bite.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Good #'s for MS, Sick #'s for Sony... Nin... they like to do things their own way anyway so as long as they are turning a profit I don't think they much care about position.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
IJoel said:
PS2 =
vader.jpg

Xbox =
luke.jpg

GCN =
ewoks.jpg
So...Nintendo will help Microsoft, through the use of guerilla techniques like log-rolling and throwing rocks, overthrow Sony, who is actually Microsoft's father?

All kidding aside, I think many people would more likely see Microsoft as picture #1. ;)

AirBrian

Lisa Lashes said:
The people who think Europe = UK, that's who. Yes, UK might be half (or more) of Europe, but the point is UK =/= Europe.

BeOnEdge

Banned
427k!!!!! i'm still on the floor from that one. good god. anyway, without a doubt, ms is #2 worldwide now. even though the end of this gen, japan will not help nintendo. put it like this. japan is 3 million ahead in GCs favor. US is 2m in XBs favor, atleast 1m in EU and another 1 in australia where GC is non existant. as long as US or EU keep XB as their 2nd choice console, the sales will always make up for MS dire situation in japan. BTW, i have reschedules the UPRISING 'til september. :) I wonder what nintendo will do this fall? they really have nowhere to go. it will be very interesting. 2 free games maybe? 3? sega tried 3 free with saturn in the end too. LOL.

Greekboy

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
I wonder what nintendo will do this fall? they really have nowhere to go. it will be very interesting. 2 free games maybe? 3? sega tried 3 free with saturn in the end too. LOL.

I remember Sega being poor. I don't remember them turning profits and having something called the GBA. Nice try though.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BeOnEdge said:
anyway, without a doubt, ms is #2 worldwide now. even though the end of this gen, japan will not help nintendo. put it like this. japan is 3 million ahead in GCs favor. US is 2m in XBs favor, atleast 1m in EU and another 1 in australia where GC is non existant. as long as US or EU keep XB as their 2nd choice console, the sales will always make up for MS dire situation in japan. BTW, i have reschedules the UPRISING 'til september. :) I wonder what nintendo will do this fall? they really have nowhere to go. it will be very interesting. 2 free games maybe? 3? sega tried 3 free with saturn in the end too. LOL.
Oh, BeonEdge! You're so adorable!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
BeOnEdge said:
427k!!!!! i'm still on the floor from that one. good god. anyway, without a doubt, ms is #2 worldwide now. even though the end of this gen, japan will not help nintendo. put it like this. japan is 3 million ahead in GCs favor. US is 2m in XBs favor, atleast 1m in EU and another 1 in australia where GC is non existant. as long as US or EU keep XB as their 2nd choice console, the sales will always make up for MS dire situation in japan. BTW, i have reschedules the UPRISING 'til september. :)

And yet again BOE trolls Nintendo. If you are going to troll you may as well at least get your facts in order. A few corrections....

Its ~1.5 million in the US.
Xbox has not cracked a million units in Australia and they won't for quite some time.
At last check, the European difference was under a million units.

BeOnEdge said:
I wonder what nintendo will do this fall? they really have nowhere to go. it will be very interesting. 2 free games maybe? 3? sega tried 3 free with saturn in the end too. LOL.

And MS has done it 2 holidays in a row in the US, not to mention packing in ridiculous amounts of games in other territories.

BeOnEdge said:
427k!!!!! i'm still on the floor from that one. good god. anyway, without a doubt, ms is #2 worldwide now. even though the end of this gen, japan will not help nintendo. put it like this. japan is 3 million ahead in GCs favor. US is 2m in XBs favor, atleast 1m in EU and another 1 in australia where GC is non existant. as long as US or EU keep XB as their 2nd choice console, the sales will always make up for MS dire situation in japan. BTW, i have reschedules the UPRISING 'til september. :) I wonder what nintendo will do this fall? they really have nowhere to go. it will be very interesting. 2 free games maybe? 3? sega tried 3 free with saturn in the end too. LOL.

Your credibility went down after the uprising flop, Nintendo should sell 3 million consoles this fall($99.99) in the U.S. MS should pull 2.5 this fall and Sony could be around 3.5-4 million.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
JC10001 said:
And MS has done it 2 holidays in a row in the US, not to mention packing in ridiculous amounts of games in other territories.
Hahahah, I forgot about that, JC. Thanks for pointing it out, and for continuing the NeoGAF's proud tradition of owning BoE every day.

OG_Original Gamer said:
Your credibility went down after the uprising flop, Nintendo should sell 3 million consoles this fall($99.99) in the U.S. MS should pull 2.5 this fall and Sony could be around 3.5-4 million.

I figured it went down after his constant assurance to everyone that they Eyetoy was going to bomb in the US. :p

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
Check your numbers again. GC is ahead over 3 million in Japan while XBox is 1.5 million ahead in the US (maybe close to 2 million with Canada), 500k-1 million across Europe and 500k in Asia/Pacific (outside Japan of course). "Without a doubt" you need a fact checker, both platforms are probably in a dead heat, or possibly a slight lead at best either way. It'll probably continue this way, though XBox will have one less year on the shelves which could see GC ahead in the end (like Genesis/SNES).

Also, the last company to throw in 2 free games was Microsoft. In fact they had to do it twice....

Top Bottom