• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

stewacide

RandomVince said:
This.

It's the potential the game clearly has. LBP isnt just another game, it is a game that has every chance of being something special assuming it is marketed correctly and persistently. Sackboy is just too cute not to appeal to the same demographic buying Wii as their first console.

Exactly. That demographic already owns a Wii (or is thinking about one / trying to get one). If it was on Wii the cost of entry is the price of the game itself, on the PS3 it's a whole new system plus game, which is not going to fly.

Stumpokapow said:
2008:
Disgaea 3 August 26
Buzz Quiz TV September 23
NBA 09 The Inside October 7
SOCOM Confrontation October 14
Singstar PS3 2 October 21
Motorstorm 2 October 28
LBP October 2008
Resistance 2 November 2008

+PSN.

This post made me wonder....Is PSN (or XBLA or WiiWare) selling systems? I mean, obviously not just on the back of the platform itself, but I wonder if any considerable* amount of gamers look at one of the 3 and say "based on the service coupled with the games library, i`m diving in".

* asterisked to stop the flood of "I did, so the answer is yes" posts.

Woo-Fu

Banned
sykoex said:
I'm disappointed that BF:BC for PS3 didn't seem to sell close close to the 360's numbers. I'm imagining this trend will change in the near future i guess.

PS3 owners are more discerning when it comes to software: confirmed. :D

I mean, come on, you're at the store to pick up a game and you get to chose between MGS4 and BF:BC, which are you going to pick?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
tfur said:
From OP:

"While the attached media report does not include units bundled with hardware, if included MGS4 sold-through nearly 1 million units."

okay great but we don't have an actual number and those madden numbers for instance are single SKU and do not include collectors editions AFAIK, so really I guess I should say "Top single SKU software launches"?

Haunted

TTP said:
I think the nicer thing that comes out from these MGS4 numbers is proof that you can have holiday season level numbers in non holiday season periods.

I hope publishers take notice and stop ignoring 10 months out of 12 for their biggest releases.
Execs everywhere seeing the numbers: "Just think what MGS4 could've done in December!"

>_>

<_<

BruceLeeRoy said:
Didn't Ratchet sell something terrible like 75k?
It did? Shit, I thought it was more along the lines of the PS2 games (250 - 300k). That's the range I'm talking about. Sorry.

test_account

XP-39C²
gregor7777 said:
Army of Two really did 600k first month?

WTF
I think some other people have already answered on this question in this thread, but i want to answer as well :) Yep, Army of Two sold about 600k its first month on Xbox 360 :) I did a quick search on Google and i found the NPD data from the month (March 2008 to be precise) when Army of Two was released:

NPD said:
3. Army of Two—Xbox 360—EA—606.1K

10. Army of Two—PS3—EA—224.9K

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/army...software-sales-skyrocket-63percent/5328/19929

:)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DeaconKnowledge said:
This post made me wonder....Is PSN (or XBLA or WiiWare) selling systems? I mean, obviously not just on the back of the platform itself, but I wonder if any considerable* amount of gamers look at one of the 3 and say "based on the service coupled with the games library, i`m diving in".

Hard to tell. Tie ratio on all three systems appears to be from 0.6-2.0 or so for paid games, so I can't imagine it's a HUGE HUGE immediate factor... but I'd say as an ongoing factor the DD library is probably considered along with the disc-library for most savvy consumers.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Haunted One said:
Execs everywhere seeing the numbers: "Just think what MGS4 could've done in December!"

>_>

<_<

Like MGS4 would have been the only big December release right?

spwolf said:
eh, it is only possible system for it now... only system where you can have user generated content in the game actually.

Im talking about the game when it was pitched seeing as they tried to get Nintendo to publish it. . .not "now".

laserbeam

Banned
stewacide said:
Exactly. That demographic already owns a Wii (or is thinking about one / trying to get one). If it was on Wii the cost of entry is the price of the game itself, on the PS3 it's a whole new system plus game, which is not going to fly.

Especially as the US Economy dives. Little Big Planets primary feature is making your own content make no mistake. Theres just no way thats going to appeal to people who are casual just like RPG makers etc arent some run away success.

Little Big Planet has the problem of being a Nintendo Style game on a non nintendo system and sales will reflect that in the long term

CcrooK said:
It's too bad Sony did lose FF13 as an exclusive. This proves how big of a hardware impact it could of had in the long run. Still, I'm curious to see what kind of boost it will give Japan. Good numbers all around.
Wait, what? Exactly what can you extrapolate about FF13 from anything about June sales?

More to the point, how can you extrapolate anything positive?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Stumpokapow said:
okay great but we don't have an actual number and those madden numbers for instance are single SKU and do not include collectors editions AFAIK, so really I guess I should say "Top single SKU software launches"?
Then Halo 3 wouldn't be #1 because it had 3 different SKUs.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
sillymonkey321 said:
Ratchet's played out and LBP is kinda fresh though.

I think a lot of the core ps3 gamers are tired of 2d games, I know there's a lot of creation and cooperative play but I love 3d worlds. Ratchet was an exceptional game it just came out too early and the ps3's install base was not there yet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
starship said:
Then Halo 3 wouldn't be #1 because it had 3 different SKUs.

Halo 3's is definitely combined because that's the number that was presented to me. If anyone has a confirmed exact number of bundles sold I'd be happy to add it same if collector's editions aren't included in any of those other numbers.

Gaborn said:
Hey Stumpokapow, out of curiosity what'd Wii Play do in it's first month?

Haunted One said:

>_>

<_<

It did? Shit, I thought it was more along the lines of the PS2 games (250 - 300k). That's the range I'm talking about. Sorry.

Aight good I got
Haunted One down for: 300k
Me: 1 Million
The rest Gaf: 22

Awesome good to go.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'll reiterate- a top 20 would be just swell. So many games missing that should hit somewhere in there- GH:Aerosmith, Rock Band Wii, GTA..

Davidion

sillymonkey321 said:

That and LBP has a hell of a lot more of a gradual hype buildup, plus there'll be a lot more press exposure comes release time.

It'll sell better than Ratchet, imo. Decently healthy, but not uber-hit level stuff.

We'll see.

DeaconKnowledge said:

A vast number of launch perioid 360s were sold on Geometry Wars alone. That is not a joke.

stewacide

The Wii allows for user generated content in the form of the Mii showcase: it's a small first step, but in a perfect world LBP could have been the second.

Are there any DS games with YouTube-esq user-generated content sharing/rating?

Azrael

A Wii version of LBP would be gimped by the lack of a HDD, the low amount of RAM, and Nintendo's fear of kids and families being exposed to objectionable content. Nintendo probably wouldn't even allow content to be shared online.

Look at that, people buy games in the summer!

Take notes publishers! You don't have to try to cram every release into the fall/winter, how about the summer when people tend to have a lot of time to play games!!

Haunted

TTP said:
Like MGS4 would have been the only big December release right?
Hey, I'm all for a more balanced release schedule throughout the year instead of everyone throwing their best shot at the holidays and hoping theirs will stick. :/

It just won't be easy to change that line of thinking. Maybe Nintendo with their releases having insane legs instead relying on the first month alone are on the right track to do so.

dabig2

sillymonkey321 said:

Not to mention it was still kind of a "bad" time for the PS3 around the time Ratchet launched. And Sony had zero marketing for the title.

People are forgetting that LBP has already been getting pimped out by Sony for the last year and a half. They are going to push this title insanely hard when it comes close to releasing.

donny2112

spwolf said:
only system where you can have user generated content in the game actually.

homer_doh.gif

stewacide said:
The Wii allows for user generated content in the form of the Mii showcase: it's a small first step, but in a perfect world LBP could have been the second.

Are there any DS games with YouTube-esq user-generated content sharing/rating?

Azrael said:
A Wii version of LBP would be gimped by the lack of a HDD, the low amount of RAM, and Nintendo's fear of kids and families being exposed to objectionable content. Nintendo probably wouldn't even allow content to be shared online.

Blast Works says hi to a couple of those points.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dabig2 said:
Not to mention it was still kind of a "bad" time for the PS3 around the time Ratchet launched. And Sony had zero marketing for the title.
Which is really, really sad since Ratchet was such an incredible game.

onipex

tfur said:
From OP:

"While the attached media report does not include units bundled with hardware, if included MGS4 sold-through nearly 1 million units."

So are you are saying the number in the list should be 1 million, because that would mean Wii Sports and every bundled software with a console has to be counted too.

It's great to see PS3 hardware sales so high. I wonder if/when they will drop again. It would be nice to see the real effect of MGS4 without the bundle and various deals Sony had going to push PS3s. I guess we will never know.

dabig2 said:
And Sony had zero marketing for the title.

I saw many ads for RC online and TV.

Woo-Fu

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I really don't see a reason LBP will do above Ratchet's numbers.

Online community + easily accessed user-created content = very long legs.

It is why companies like id/valve/epic typically provide(d) all kinds of great support and content for their PC shooters long after release. Keeping that online community alive kept the games selling at retail.

Heck, I bought half-life 3 or 4 times just because I'd play a new mod, get tired of it, give/loan the copy out only to buy it again when a new mod came out.

LBP promises to have a near endless amount of new maps to play, and a built-in ranking system to help you sort the wheat from the chaff. As long as the core gameplay itself is entertaining it should have very long legs.

One other thing, if somebody wants to see a competitor to WiiPlay(in terms of attach), just convince Sony to bundle a real game with the dualshock3 at little or no increased cost.

phalestine

aka iby.h
dabig2 said:

People are forgetting that LBP has already been getting pimped out by Sony for the last year and a half. They are going to push this title insanely hard when it comes close to releasing.

Wait, are you talking about Ratchet here? cause that game was advertised pretty well, I thought. I saw commercials for it like every 2 minutes.

and pretty interesting to see Indian Jones lego doing the best on Wii, I guess third parties do sell on wii. :/

Azrael

stewacide said:

It's imposible to create objectionable user-generated content with Miis.

Even the most basic level editing would enable players to, for example, arrange platforms to spell out PENIS or N****** or into the shape of a swastika, etc. Nintendo might let you create your own levels in LBP, but they wouldn't let you share them in-game online. And those levels would be smaller and be far more limited in the amount of textures and objects you could place in them.

GavinGT said:
Teach me how to be both arrogant and ignorant at the same time.

Get into you local shop trends.. compile data... you will see what the console war is really about.. keep your ears open too.. i pretty much mastered it

Azrael said:
Nintendo already allows people to share content . . .thats what SSBB stage sharing is.

And I think people are looking at it more as a "had Nintendo published it for the Wii" and not as a "if they make a version for the Wii" case.

Woo-Fu said:
Online community + easily accessed user-created content = very long legs.

It is why companies like id/valve/epic typically provide(d) all kinds of great support and content for their PC shooters long after release. Keeping that online community alive kept the games selling at retail.

Heck, I bought half-life 3 or 4 times just because I'd play a new mod, get tired of it, give/loan the copy out only to buy it again when a new mod came out.

LBP promises to have a near endless amount of new maps to play, and a built-in ranking system to help you sort the wheat from the chaff. As long as the core gameplay itself is entertaining it should have very long legs.

One other thing, if somebody wants to see a competitor to WiiPlay(in terms of attach), just convince Sony to bundle a real game with the dualshock3 at little or no increased cost.

Blast Works 5 million copies confirmed.

Frillen

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Look at that, people buy games in the summer!

Take notes publishers! You don't have to try to cram every release into the fall/winter, how about the summer when people tend to have a lot of time to play games!!

Because games still sell the most during the holiday...

bloody pirate said:
Halo 3 would have sold more systems last year if the system wasn't puke green and actually came with the game

First sensible thing you've said so far.

For the life of me, I just can't figure out why MS hasn't stepped up on the hardware SKU side of things.

It's almost a certainty that as far as hardware and pricing is concerned, they're making money and just don't give a fuck at this point.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Haunted One said:
Hey, I'm all for a more balanced release schedule throughout the year instead of everyone throwing their best shot at the holidays and hoping theirs will stick. :/

It just won't be easy to change that line of thinking. Maybe Nintendo with their releases having insane legs instead relying on the first month alone are on the right track to do so.

Ah ok. :p

Top Bottom