• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
somuchwater said:
Am I the only person surprised at the PSP's numbers? Isn't that pretty close to double what they did in May? Why is no-one talking about that? Or is this just the expect GoW bump?

red gow bundled psp + 4 week month ->5 week month.

Jag22

Banned
WarLox said:
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

6xhbodg.gif
You do realize that's about 40k more units moved than last month without a price drop or system selling game release.

FrankT

BruceLeeRoy said:
Aight good I got
Haunted One down for: 300k
Me: 1 Million
The rest Gaf: 22

Awesome good to go.

Don't really have any estimates to give, but I do think both Fallout 3 and Fable 2 will outsell it for the month.

The Playstation 3 had a great month. It'll drop back down next month, of course, but from here on out the Playstation 3 should continue to outsell the Xbox 360 (sans a price drop from MS without Sony there to counter).

I think that MGS4 does prove one thing, though: PS3 can sell software. We've seen it with plenty of games now. MGS4 outsold MGS3 significantly in its first month. Square's decision may have been a knee jerk reaction because I honestly don't think releasing exclusively on the PS3 would have caused a lull in sales for FFXIII; MGS4 managed to outsell (or do about the same as) FFXII on the PS2 in its first month.

So, honestly, I don't buy Square's excuse that they had to switch over to the 360 in order to ensure great sales. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that some sort of moneyhats were involved.

evilone

EA Employee
Why does anyone think MS paid Square for FF13? Square should be paying MS for the opportunity to treble their potential market (and will via royalties)

'Paying' for a title only makes sense when it's exclusive, to compensate for lost revenue on other platforms.

Peter Dille interview from today:

Dille also addressed some E3 2008 news that alarmed many PS3 loyalists: namely, that Final Fantasy XIII is coming to the 360 the same day and date as Sony's console. "The game will be available on the PS3 on day one as well," he said, unfazed. "To me it's a little bit analogous to the GTA announcement. Microsoft spent a lot of money to get the development on their platform. And if you look at what happened in May, you could see there was a pretty even split between PS3 [and 360], so I'm not sure that it had the impact that Microsoft was banking on, to spend all that money to get a cross-platform game."

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasy13/news.html?sid=6194577

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
The Playstation 3 had a great month. It'll drop back down next month, of course, but from here on out the Playstation 3 should continue to outsell the Xbox 360 (sans a price drop from MS without Sony there to counter).

I think that MGS4 does prove one thing, though: PS3 can sell software. We've seen it with plenty of games now. MGS4 outsold MGS3 significantly in its first month. Square's decision may have been a knee jerk reaction because I honestly don't think releasing exclusively on the PS3 would have caused a lull in sales for FFXIII; MGS4 managed to outsell FFXII on the PS2 in its first month.

Like the 20GB going to $299?

FrankT

The Experiment said:
I think Microsoft did a good jon with securing a FF13 360 port. As for regrets, why would there be any?

You guys are just elated that a huge PS3 title, one of the biggest in Sony's arsenal, performed halfway decently. Now with MGS4 down, the only two huge titles left are Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII, which now is on 360.

Which brings up a good point as Yamauchi stated this week that GT5 may not roll out until 2010.

Karma said:
Like the 20GB going to $299?

It's only temporary. It's not a genuine, permanent price drop. The 60 GB SKU replacing it is still $350.

Further, the 80 GB MGS4 units are still being sent to stores probably throughout the next few months until the 80 GB w/o BC releases.

You may see the PS3/360 sell at around parity for the odd month, but overall for the rest of 2008 I expect the PS3 to sell more than the 360 in the US, and it will definitely retain its YTD lead over the 360 this year. I don't think that will ever evaporate.

sakuragi

Banned
evilone said:

Dille also addressed some E3 2008 news that alarmed many PS3 loyalists: namely, that Final Fantasy XIII is coming to the 360 the same day and date as Sony's console. "The game will be available on the PS3 on day one as well," he said, unfazed. "To me it's a little bit analogous to the GTA announcement. Microsoft spent a lot of money to get the development on their platform. And if you look at what happened in May, you could see there was a pretty even split between PS3 [and 360], so I'm not sure that it had the impact that Microsoft was banking on, to spend all that money to get a cross-platform game."

Its pretty sad that Microsoft had to spend money to make FF13 multiplatform, not exclusive mind you, while Sony didn't spend a dime to get it. ( if they really paid for FF13)

edit: Scratch the sad part, its fucking hilarious :lol

The Experiment said:
I think Microsoft did a good jon with securing a FF13 360 port. As for regrets, why would there be any?

You guys are just elated that a huge PS3 title, one of the biggest in Sony's arsenal, performed halfway decently. Now with MGS4 down, the only two huge titles left are Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII, which now is on 360.
Yeah I'm sure God of War III is going to completely flop...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
evilone said:

Except with GTA4 they very publicly announced the cash they spent and it seems pretty likely with FFXIII it was just a standard break on platform fees + dev support if anything?

They also just released their quarterly financials. If they spent money on this, they'd almost certainly have to report it, especially were it a lump-sum payment or advance like GTA4. Even were it not a lump-sum payment, it'd likely still be stashed into one of the expense categories on the balance sheet.

Also, you're quoting a Sony executive about Microsoft's business.

Jtyettis said:
Which brings up a good point as Yamauchi stated this week that GT5 may not roll out until 2010.

If they manage to get another GT game out this gen its going to be very late in the console lifecycle. Its the biggest first party franchise by far right?

Grats to PS3.

Grats to Wii. I overshot it in my prediction. :lol

I very undershot NDS. I didn't take into account GH Bundles. Didn't know about them until Friday.

What an awesome month for the PS3 and MGS4 though. Welcome to next gen, Gaffers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jag22 said:
You do realize that's about 40k more units moved than last month without a price drop or system selling game release.

4 week month -> 5 week month, and it had Battlefield BC and NG2 whereas last month it had nothing huge.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The money that Microsoft gave to Take Two is going to come back to them. It was basically a loan. I don't see the harm in that.

evilone

EA Employee
Stumpokapow said:
Except with GTA4 they very publicly announced the cash they spent and it seems pretty likely with FFXIII it was just a standard break on platform fees + dev support if anything?

They also just released their quarterly financials. If they spent money on this, they'd almost certainly have to report it, especially were it a lump-sum payment or advance like GTA4. Even were it not a lump-sum payment, it'd likely still be stashed into one of the expense categories on the balance sheet.

This is a senior lvl exec which is in the know. Do you think that sony was not aware of this deal??? I hope not. Everyone in the industry knows MS paid for this.

mood

Great numbers for PS3 and MGS4. I think PS3 will hold steady next month at around 300k. Good showing for NG2, I didnt know what to expect from that title but it should go on to do better than NG1 now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jag22 said:
GTA4 was a 360 exclusive? Damn.

He complained about 360 sales.

You compared them favourably to May (despite the fact that the per-week sales went down) and then said "there are no system sellers this month" (which implies that there were last month).

I mentioned NG2 and Battlefield, you complained that Battlefield is not exclusive. The closest thing to a system seller last month was GTA4, which was also not exclusive. So why is the fact that there are "no system sellers this month" relevant in a comparison to May sales? What were the system sellers last month?

360 Sales are down from May on a per-weekly basis despite the software in this month being higher profile, period.

FrankT

evilone said:
This is a senior lvl exec which is in the know. Do you think that sony was not aware of this deal??? I hope not. Everyone in the industry knows MS paid for this.

Sources have already stated that Sony did not know they were going to announce this beforehand, which is probably the reason it never got leaked in the first place.

Nobody knew this was coming.

Loudninja

evilone said:
Why does anyone think MS paid Square for FF13? Square should be paying MS for the opportunity to treble their potential market (and will via royalties)

'Paying' for a title only makes sense when it's exclusive, to compensate for lost revenue on other platforms.

Wow...

Agent Icebeezy said:
NG2 isn't going to move any systems.
Clearly, but there's no reason it shouldn't of been considered a potential system seller. It was the first new game for the system in an acclaimed franchise and received excellent reviews. And regarding overlap with the existing fanbase, the system doesn't exactly have many similar games. There's DMC4 and....?

Stumpokapow said:

Also also the quote doesn't fucking say anything about paying for FFXIII. He says the situation is "analogous" to GTA4, then talks about GTA4 for a while. The quote about spending a lot of money is in reference to GTA4.

Jag22

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

He complained about 360 sales.

You compared them favourably to May (despite the fact that the per-week sales went down) and then said "there are no system sellers this month" (which implies that there were last month).

I mentioned NG2 and Battlefield, you complained that Battlefield is not exclusive. The closest thing to a system seller last month was GTA4, which was also not exclusive. So why is the fact that there are "no system sellers this month" relevant in a comparison to May sales? What were the system sellers last month?

360 Sales are down from May on a per-weekly basis despite the software in this month being higher profile, period.

Games like Battlefield and Ninja Gaiden do not move systems. Do you understand what a system seller is?

evilone said:

Did MS pay for all those B level RPG's from namco and Square too?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
spwolf said:
so its only 3rd party that counts?

that makes r2, ms2, lbp, etc, less exclusive? :lol

Well, Sony and Microsoft fans have taught me Nintendo games don't count. Only third party do. :lol

sakuragi

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Sources have already stated that Sony did not know they were going to announce this beforehand, which is probably the reason it never got leaked in the first place.

Nobody knew this was coming.

State those sources.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sony P.R

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™), led by the launch of the highly anticipated Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 bundle, continued to experience tremendous momentum in June 2008, selling 405,488 hardware units – 84% higher than Microsoft’s Xbox 360 (according to NPD June 2008 sales data). PS3 year-over-year hardware sales growth exceeded 311% in June, with month-over-month growth exceeding 94%.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, exclusively for PS3, was the best-selling title on any platform in June 2008, with 774,647 units sold. More than 2.4 million software units were sold for PS3 in June, representing an increase of more than 300% from this time last year. (Software totals do not include software units sold as part of the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 retail bundle).

* The launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots kicks off the beginning of a blockbuster software line-up for PS3 in the back-half of the year, including highly-anticipated exclusive titles such as SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Confrontation, Resistance 2, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, NBA ‘09: The Inside and LittleBigPlanet to name a few. These monster titles promise to further drive PS3 sales into the holiday season and beyond.
* The PLAYSTATION®Network community continues to grow in popularity with more than 10 million registered accounts worldwide and 180 million pieces of content downloaded worldwide.

Fueled by enthusiasm for the launch of the God of War: Chains of Olympus PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) bundle, PSP experienced strong sales in June, with 337,356 PSP hardware units sold. This represents a sales increase of 85% month-over-month.

PlayStation®2 (PS2) also had a solid month in June, selling 188,798 hardware units, an increase of 42% from May. The popular console continued to experience strong software sales, with 3.9 million software units sold. More than 42.4 million PS2s have been sold in the U.S. as of June 2008.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

The PlayStation brand continued to generate impressive sales, earning $626.7 million in June.

· Year to date (Jan-June), the PlayStation brand generated almost $2.9 billion in revenue, representing an increase of 24% year-over year.

· PlayStation total hardware revenue was $265.5 million in June, representing a year-over-year growth of 90%.

· PlayStation total software revenue in June was $298 million, representing a year-over-year growth of over 52%.

CEO Perspective

"The PlayStation brand is truly hitting its stride on its long-term opportunity across all three platforms. Our strong June numbers serve as proof to the continued momentum of the PS3 and affirms that we’re exactly where we expected to be. This month’s success can be attributed to the exclusive blockbuster Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and we’re poised for continued growth into the back half of the year with a much anticipated line-up, including LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM: Confrontation, Resistance 2, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, and NBA ’09: The Inside. Additionally, the new PlayStation Network video delivery service will be a big driver for the PS3 and PSP, allowing consumers to extend their multi-media and entertainment experience.”

evilone said:

If this change was such open knowledge "in the industry," how come your extensive and detailed comments regarding FFXIII's current development status, preview schedule, and upcoming release date never mentioned it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jag22 said:
Games like Battlefield and Ninja Gaiden do not move systems. Do you understand what a system seller is?

I'm not sure you understand the flow of conversation.

Him: Wahhh 360 sales are bad.
You: They are not BECAUSE a) Sales are up from May and b) This is despite not having a system seller this month.
Me: Software this month is higher profile than last month, and sales are down from May.
You: NO SYSTEM SELLERS!
Me: Yeah, but you sort of implied there was a system seller last month when there wasn't if you use your definition for system sellers this month.

I accept that Battlefield and NG2 are not system sellers... but what was the system seller last month that makes it noteworthy that sales this month "are higher than last month" despite no system sellers (implying there was one last month).

PSGames

Private Hoffman said:

I think that MGS4 does prove one thing, though: PS3 can sell software. We've seen it with plenty of games now. MGS4 outsold MGS3 significantly in its first month. Square's decision may have been a knee jerk reaction because I honestly don't think releasing exclusively on the PS3 would have caused a lull in sales for FFXIII; MGS4 managed to outsell (or do about the same as) FFXII on the PS2 in its first month.

So, honestly, I don't buy Square's excuse that they had to switch over to the 360 in order to ensure great sales. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that some sort of moneyhats were involved.

It doesn't matter what the game could sell on the PS3 it matters how many sales they would be leaving behind due to no 360 version.

Zerachiel

Xisiqomelir said:
MGS4 >>>> GTA4 confirmed

re: Hardware moving powahhh, at least

GTA4 has convinced me that the idea of games significantly moving hardware adoption in their month of release is a fable. Most people don't buy a system for a game the month it comes out. They either adopt it earlier to take advantage of having it early, or wait until Christmas, the next time they have a lot of disposable income, etc.

Were it not for the bundle, PS3 sales would have been stagnant.

Jag22

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure you understand the flow of conversation.

Him: Wahhh 360 sales are bad.
You: They are not BECAUSE a) Sales are up from May and b) This is despite not having a system seller this month.
Me: Software this month is higher profile than last month, and sales are down from May.
Me: Yeah, but you sort of implied there was a system seller last month when there wasn't if you use your definition for system sellers this month.

I accept that Battlefield and NG2 are not system sellers... but what was the system seller last month that makes it noteworthy that sales this month "are higher than last month" despite no system sellers (implying there was one last month).

Saying there wasn't a system seller this month doesn't imply there was one last month.

Top Bottom