• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I think Home will be a better way to get the casuals hyped about getting the ps3, I could see thousands upon thousands of fat chicks in Home getting endless attention from undersexed nerd gamers.

Haunted

iby.h said:
Wait, are you talking about Ratchet here? cause that game was advertised pretty well, I thought. I saw commercials for it like every 2 minutes.

and pretty interesting to see Indian Jones lego doing the best on Wii, I guess third parties do sell on wii. :/
YES!

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ha this will probably not end well for me.
Don't worry dude, it's all in good fun anyway. :)

Sean

Banned
Console sales were right in line with my predictions, nothing surprising there. Good month for PS3 as expected - Sony went all out to have a good june (MGS4, 80GB BC bundle, 100$ gift card, etc) and it paid off for them. I totally underestimated the handhelds though.

SW numbers are a bit surprising, GTA dropping out of the top 10 already while MK Wii continues to have legs. NG2 did quite a bit better than I expected, it wasn't really hyped too much and got average reviews from the major outlets. Lego Indy did great too.

theBishop

Banned
Its impossible to say how any game is going to sell months away from release. Games sell on marketing at least as much as quality.

Jag22

Banned
dabig2 said:
Not to mention it was still kind of a "bad" time for the PS3 around the time Ratchet launched. And Sony had zero marketing for the title.

People are forgetting that LBP has already been getting pimped out by Sony for the last year and a half. They are going to push this title insanely hard when it comes close to releasing.
No marketing? The game had tons of commercials on TV last year.

bloody pirate said:
Halo 3 would have sold more systems last year if the system wasn't puke green and actually came with the game
Yeah, that was a joke of a cross promotion. "We are offering a Halo themed console for a limited time only.............but you have to buy the game separately."

stewacide

Azrael said:
It's imposible to create objectionable user-generated content with Miis.

Even the most basic level editing would enable players to, for example, arrange platforms to spell out PENIS or N****** or into the shape of a swastika, etc. Nintendo might let you create your own levels in LBP, but they wouldn't let you share them in-game online. And those levels would be smaller and be far more limited in the amount of textures and objects you could place in them.

I've seen my share of penis-Miis, etc. to know people will turn anything into smut :D

MM must have some system of moderating for this sort of things: either by hand or (better) some sort of voting system (e.g. if a level gets repeatedly flagged it's pulled)

Pachael

Even against MGS4, Nintendo rolls over Sony! So yeah, this console war's over and that's the reason we're going to get a one waggle future like it or not.

CoG

ShockingAlberto said:
I really don't see a reason LBP will do above Ratchet's numbers.

Well, there's 5x as many systems out there then when Ratchet shipped for starters...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
theBishop said:
Its impossible to say how any game is going to sell months away from release. Games sell on marketing at least as much as quality.

and we can be reasonably sure how much marketing most games will get, also don't you not like sales threads?

laserbeam

Banned
stewacide said:
I've seen my share of penis-Miis, etc. to know people will turn anything into smut :D

MM must have some system of moderating for this sort of things: either by hand or (better) some sort of voting system (e.g. if a level gets repeatedly flagged it's pulled)

MM even already said Objectionable content wont be tolerated in Little Big Planet so its a moot point all these people arguing as if its only a nintendo thing

CTLance

I am shocked and appalled that I've caught up with this months NPD thread after only six pages. What the hell is wrong with you guys? E3 fatigue?

Kidding aside, nice numbers for PS3&MGS4, let's see how long they'll stay that way. Legs are of the utmost importance if the PS3 wants to ever catch up. That goes for all future megareleases as well.

Wii and DS are ridiculous as usual. 700k without any new major releases outside of the holidays... insane. Something something 3rd parties something money on the table something. *Cough*

PSP continues to puzzle me. I just don't get how this handheld ticks.

evilone said:
No because MS paid for FF13. If this trend continues all the way to TGS then yes SE will be thinking differently.

Oh shit, how much did MS pay them? I missed that announcement.

Rekkapryde said:
Sony needs to find a way to do timed exclusivity for FF13 in North America.

That ship has sailed.

Ya'll just watch. Too Human is going to sell more than LBP, almost guaranteed. And then, when Ragnarok comes, mankind is not going to have a defense for it's crimes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rekkapryde said:

What "way" would that be that Microsoft couldn't also do (and has shown a greater willingness to do?)

Slurmer

Banned
let me know if that has been posted.
as far as moving consoles are concerned:
HALO 3: 527,800 from 276,700 = 296,100k systems moved
GEARS: 511,000 from 217,772 = 293,228k systems moved
MGS4: 405,500k from 208,709 = 196,791k systems moved

all three involve new SKUs (Halo 3 legenday, Arcade, MGS4 bundle) and Gears was out in holiday season.

I'd say MGS4 did pretty well for itself

USD said:
Wow, I totally missed GH DS at number 2. I guess Activision's happy they made it now.
It has nothing to do with why they hastily announced a GH DS sequel at E3. Nothing.

I'm flat-out impressed by the PS3 numbers. It's kind of odd to see it not so far behind the Wii (well, you know what I mean). So fucking glad MGS4 hit it big because it's a brilliant game.

CoG

Frillen said:
So the PS3 has sold 45 Million consoles world wide? That's news to me.

Yipes. I didn't realize Ratchet released 10/2007. For some reason I thought it was way earlier.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Slurmer said:
let me know if that has been posted.
as far as moving consoles are concerned:
HALO 3: 527,800 from 276,700 = 296,100k systems moved
GEARS: 511,000 from 217,772 = 293,228k systems moved
MGS4: 405,500k from 208,709 = 196,791k systems moved

all three involve new SKUs (Halo 3 legenday, Arcade, MGS4 bundle) and Gears was out in holiday season.

I'd say MGS4 did pretty well for itself

Gears = 4 week month after 4 week month, holiday
MGS4 = 5 week month after 4 week month, summer
Halo 3 = 5 week month after 4 week month, fall

sakuragi

Banned
Rekkapryde said:

I don't think Final Fantasy is much of a system seller in America as it is in Japan ( which is still exclusive to the PS3).

Bizzyb

Banned
Mario Kart selling only 300k and being sold out EVERYWHERE is the real story.

Total FAILURE on Nintendo's part.

phalestine

aka iby.h
evilromero said:
It has nothing to do with why they hastily announced a GH DS sequel at E3. Nothing.

I'm flat-out impressed by the PS3 numbers. It's kind of odd to see it not so far behind the Wii (well, you know what I mean). So fucking glad MGS4 hit it big because it's a brilliant game.

same, I actually had to double look to see if what I saw was true.

Competition is a good thing. :)

Ventron

PlayStation 3 405.5k
Xbox 360 219.8k

bridgetjones.gif

Wii 666.7k
Nintendo DS 783k

04. WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA 372.7K
05. WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 359.1K
07. WII MARIO KART W/WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA 322.4K

reggie_i_dunno-735186.jpg

01. PS3 METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUN OF THE PATRIOTS KONAMI 774.6K (Does not include bundles with PS3 hardware)

howardspasm.gif

evilone said:
No because MS paid for FF13. If this trend continues all the way to TGS then yes SE will be thinking differently.

You think that if the PS3 continues to sell this well (on the back of all the other MGS4-sized releases coming every month between now and then, presumably?) until TGS, they'll reconsider their decision to put the game on X360 while still releasing it on PS3?

Rekkapryde said:

Little late for that.

cakefoo

bloody pirate said:
Get into you local shop trends.. compile data... you will see what the console war is really about.. keep your ears open too.. i pretty much mastered it
Did you predict this month's NPDs?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bizzyb said:
Mario Kart selling only 300k and being sold out EVERYWHERE is the real story.

Total FAILURE on Nintendo's part.

Mario Kart Wii is going to pass MK Double Dash next month, and all MK games sell for years and years at 30k+ a month guaranteed.

I think Microsoft did a good jon with securing a FF13 360 port. As for regrets, why would there be any?

You guys are just elated that a huge PS3 title, one of the biggest in Sony's arsenal, performed halfway decently. Now with MGS4 down, the only two huge titles left are Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII, which now is on 360.

stewacide

Why does anyone think MS paid Square for FF13? Square should be paying MS for the opportunity to treble their potential market (and will via royalties)

'Paying' for a title only makes sense when it's exclusive, to compensate for lost revenue on other platforms.

lolwtf

Banned
01. PS3 METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUN OF THE PATRIOTS KONAMI 774.6K

1201478580884.jpg

04. WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA 372.7K

1190826483790.jpg

Am I the only person surprised at the PSP's numbers? Isn't that pretty close to double what they did in May? Why is no-one talking about that? Or is this just the expect GoW bump?

FrankT

evilone said:

The trend is clear, see Japan, Chart Track. While we may have to wait another month for NPD numbers it really isn't that hard to see if you look. SE isn't going to be thinking differently about anything this gen if you saw there comments yesterday.

Top Bottom