• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

somedevil

Dixie CarterVerified account
‏@TNADixie
Seeing amazing fan responses to the #Hardy contract signing on #IMPACTonPop. Keep them coming and I will re-post!

whut?

The video has 254,000 views and if they get 5 percent of those people to buy the show they would consider that a huge success. Not going to happen though.

UberTag

This is why I find it comical that Vince almost assuredly wants to give that rub to Roman Reigns, who never loses to begin with. The last time I saw Reigns lose sort of clean was when he ate a pin during that one Shield v. Wyatt Family match where Ambrose and Rollins were taken out early in the match and Roman just destroyed the rest of the Family most of the match.
That's what Vince does, though... and has always done. Instead of taking something like "the end of the streak", a clean feud win over the likes of Roman or Cena or a year-long undefeated streak for Rusev and giving them to someone who would actually benefit a hell of a lot from having them to effectively "make them" as Superstars, he instead gives them to folks who've already been chosen and decreed as superstars. The super-protected. The Cenas and Lesnars and Romans of the world.

The people who would actually benefit from something exciting or a meaningful win are instead granted "one not-really-clean win over Cena before he beats them 5 more times" or "winning the Andre the Giant battle royal" or "here's the Intercontinental title, now let me bury you repeatedly".

The reality is that Vince is "not interested" in building up new talent unless it's to feed people he's already made and to reinforce that "he was right" to have made them.

You're also 100% correct that people shouldn't be taking Owens winning the Money in the Bank briefcase as a done deal... even if it's the correct choice. Nobody had Sheamus winning last year and we saw how that went down. When in doubt, put the odds on the guy that is already getting paid the most money in the match. That's probably Del Rio.

Zach

It's almost like I have a divine mission of supporting the underdog in all walks of life.

I can appreciate that. Tell me more.

Not necessarily in response to Menome, but certainly off-topic and random: Should I read The Stand and/or Blood Meridian?

People call me sexist for saying that but she ruins EVERY storyline. One of the worst things to happen to sports entertainment. At least Linda knew how to make her character tolerable but her daughter, I just don't even. Heyman can't even own his own damn company.

With how Heyman ran ECW, he barely owned it.

Anth0ny

Their contracts were with Time Warner and not WCW, IIRC. So WWE didn't really inherit their deals. And since Time Warner was paying them a ton, it was better to just take some time off and get paid versus come back and take a cheaper WWE deal. I believe Booker T mentioned taking a big pay cut when he debuted. If Vince would have been more patient and waited for those deals to expire we could have had a way more star-studded invasion angle.

Bill was making 6 million bucks and they wouldve had to match his contract. Guys like Hogan and Nash were making 1-5 million to sit on their asses until their contracts were up. Would you go work for 365 days when you're getting paid the most you've probably ever made to sit at home? Lol. Wcw lost and won with those contracts.

Lol!

So money was the issue?

How many buys did the invasion ppv do again? Without any of the wcw superstars?

How many buys would Goldberg vs Austin at mania 18 have done? As Goldberg completely dominates everyone in his path for a straight year?

Vince could have easily matched their contracts, brought those fuckers in and had them paid after one big ppv buyrate

Fuckin hell

And here we observe the style of busking known as "Street Zigglering"

cKKYVT2.gif

Sephzilla

So money was the issue?

How many buys would Goldberg vs Austin at mania 18 have done? As Goldberg completely dominates everyone in his path for a straight year?

Vince could have easily matched their contracts, brought those fuckers in and had them paid after one big ppv buyrate

Fuckin hell

I'm pretty sure Vince would have had an onslaught of WWF guys asking for their payday if word got out that the WCW guys got to keep their WCW paydays.

Vince should have straight up not ran the invasion angle until the Goldbergs and Hogans contracts ran out.

RIP shoulders

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So money was the issue?

Fuckin hell

Well, Vince's goal was to bury all the WCW talent, so bringing in guys that his fans might cheer for wasn't something he was likely all that interested in to begin with.

I'm surprised how much I enjoy it, considering I was never a big Team Fortress fan.
I barely even play online FPS and this stuff is hooked into me reeaaal good.

A lot more wrestlers should go that route too.
I can't help but think if you're in something for the money and you chose years of life shortening agony as your choice then maybe you weren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

http://i.imgur.com/cKKYVT2.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Doesn't tell a story, it really is just like Ziggles.

somedevil

So money was the issue?

Fuckin hell

The show did 770,000 buys without the real big stars and bad build.

The problem was that Vince didn't want to upset the locker room and pay these guys huge amounts of money to give up their current deals and come to the WWE.

Back then it was not guys playing videogames and getting along. It was paranoia and fighting over keeping your spot. So when the WCW guys came in the WWE roster crapped on them and talked behind there back,

The angle had so much going against it to be a true success.

UberTag

Well, Vince's goal was to bury all the WCW talent, so bringing in guys that his fans might cheer for wasn't something he was likely all that interested in to begin with.
He had his hands full just trying to quell the masses chanting for Rob Van Dam seemingly non-stop for a number of months.

He had his hands full just trying to quell the masses chanting for Rob Van Dam seemingly non-stop for a number of months.

That one episode of Smackdown around No Mercy 2001 where he came out doing the RVD thumbs taunt to try and tease some dissension within the alliance probably killed him as much as when he had to do those yes chants.

I think it's hard to cheer against rvd lol. I think the only time they booed him heavily is when Steph walked out to be revealed as ECW owner.

E&C helping Jeff Hardy win? You know it's real.

klonere

Banned
Eita vs. Akira Tozawa from this year's King of Gate was entertaining, even though the video I saw was marred with audio and video sync problems. I didn't realize how badly bad production will knock me out of a match.

Still, when you get action like this:

You'll put up with some video and audio problems.

Eita vs. Jimmy Susumu is not marred by any audio or video sync problems, and it's a hell of a match full of great babyface fire from Eita and destructive offense from Susumu. Here's a taste:

Hyped to catch up on all the DG action. Waiting till my Chromecast gets delivered before I start watching again though, I wanna laze out on the couch instead of cooped up at the computer screen. Prolly gonna re-watch the whole 5/25 show from AJPW like that as well.

Dixie CarterVerified account
‏@TNADixie
Seeing amazing fan responses to the #Hardy contract signing on #IMPACTonPop. Keep them coming and I will re-post!

whut?

I asume that gif is sped up right?

Nope. This one isn't either. Speed is Dragon Gate's gimmick.

PLadjGf.gif

Menome

I can appreciate that. Tell me more.

My favourite film is Flash Gordon, not exactly a blockbuster or a indie thinkpiece.

My favourite album is Radiohead's Amnesiac, one of the middling-regarded albums in their discography.

My favourite games of the past three years have been Antichamber, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Life Is Strange.

When everyone I knew was playing Magic The Gathering, I was playing the VS System card game instead and attending UK tournaments with only five attendees.

My favourite character on the Tekken roster has only had three appearances, two of which are non-canon: Kunimitsu.

My favourite book is one that's been completely overshadowed by the film adaptation and 80s cheese nostalgia: The Neverending Story.

There's more, but it's late.

Zach

My favourite film is Flash Gordon, not exactly a blockbuster or a indie thinkpiece.

My favourite album is Radiohead's Amnesiac, one of the middling-regarded albums in their discography.

My favourite games of the past three years have been Antichamber, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Life Is Strange.

When everyone I knew was playing Magic The Gathering, I was playing the VS System card game instead and attending UK tournaments with only five attendees.

My favourite character on the Tekken roster has only had three appearances, two of which are non-canon: Kunimitsu.

My favourite book is one that's been completely overshadowed by the film adaptation and 80s cheese nostalgia: The Neverending Story.

There's more, but it's late.

You're a cool guy, Menome, but c'mon... Kid A, man.

Top Bottom