• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury sides with Hulk Hogan in his sex tape lawsuit against Gawker & awards him $115m

Status
Not open for further replies.
PGgTlt6.png

Xe4

Banned
Good. Fuck Gawker. Fuck Hogan too, for obvious reasons, but what gawker did was hypocritical, and a clear violation of privacy. Fuckers deserve to be reprimanded for it.

Can someone summarize quick the case?

Gawker published a sex tape of Hogan. They claimed it was within their first amendment rights to do so. Hogan claimed it was defamation or something. Gawker won. Hogan appealed, but filed the appeal in Florida in a jurisdiction where he is a local celebrity, owns a business, and responsible for a lot of the area's income and basically because of Hulk, he put that entire area on the map, so there was widespread speculation that he would deliver a crushing defeat to Gawker. Hogan won (just now). Gawker can appeal again, but it doesn't matter because in order to even appeal you have to post bond of $50m, and they don't have $50m and can't get $50m.

In short, Gawker is dead. It's finished. RIP

So Hogan does not need to work another day in his life.

Of course there will be appeals, and he probably wont ever see a dime because Gawker will file for chapter 11

Lawyers will get the rest. Hogan will be at Wrestle-Con selling his soul for $20 to shake hands with Wrestle-Gaf members.

Cat Party

I don't know how they do things in Florida, but I have to believe that amount gets slashed heavily by the judge before Gawker appeals. Insane amount of damages.

Kaladin

US sentencing is fucking hilarious. How do you even quantify a sex tape leak to 115M in damages.

Due to this controversy it will be very hard for Hogan to work in the capacity he usually does. The 115 mill is to cover the loss of income. It is very much in line with what Hogan might be worth in appearances and such over the rest of his life.

sephi22

US sentencing is fucking hilarious. How do you even quantify a sex tape leak to 115M in damages.
Sex tape showed him using racist language which got him fired from WWE. He wasn't the big merchandising giant he used to be back in the day, but I'm sure he was still making them some decent money and doing ok for himself.

Due to this controversy it will be very hard for Hogan to work in the capacity he usually does. The 115 mill is to cover the loss of income. It is very much in line with what Hogan might be worth in appearances and such over the rest of his life.
This

KingKong

Gawker published a sex tape of Hogan. They claimed it was within their first amendment rights to do so. Hogan claimed it was defamation or something. Gawker won. Hogan appealed, but filed the appeal in Florida in a jurisdiction where he is a local celebrity, owns a business, and responsible for a lot of the area's income and basically because of Hulk, he put that entire area on the map, so there was widespread speculation that he would deliver a crushing defeat to Gawker. Hogan won (just now). Gawker can appeal again, but it doesn't matter because in order to even appeal you have to post bond of $50m, and they don't have $50m and can't get $50m.

In short, Gawker is dead. It's finished. RIP

I think they could get 50 mil

23qwerty

no one gives a fuck about the sex tape itself, the only issue is the racist shit. not sure how you can reward him for that

diamount

Banned

I don't think he will even get 1 million, because undoubtedly Gawker will declare bankruptcy and I can't see them having enough assets to cover that amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom