• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just had to recover my PSN account, why?

Forth

Neophyte
I just tried to sign into my PSN account but it said I would have to recover my account.
I then had to change my password to get it back, I have SMS 2FA turned on so I haven't had any SMS requests.
What would cause this to happen?
Thanks.

Three

I just tried to sign into my PSN account but it said I would have to recover my account.
I then had to change my password to get it back, I have SMS 2FA turned on so I haven't had any SMS requests.
Thanks.
Somebody likely tried to login and failed or your email/pass combo used on other sites/apps might be out there and they're asking you to use a new unique one. To check if any of your email/passwords are out in the wild you can use a site like

Or chromes built in password manager which has a built in checker.

Forth

Neophyte
Hello, apologies for digging up an old thread but I don't have sufficient rights.
My issue is that my account which I created back on my PS3 has been permanently suspended since last Friday evening.
I called PSN CS and they have told me there's nothing they can do but escalate the case and that it's been suspended because of fraud.
I don't play online apart from Destiny 2 and I don't have anyone on my friend list. All of my privacy settings are set to only me and I also have 2fa turned on.
I haven't received any notifications that any attempts were made to sign in to my account.
Also the last two PSN purchases are showing as withdrawn from my bank account and the last code I redeemed was for the recent beta that came from playstation.
I honestly have no idea what's happened and what to do if they don't give me access to my account that has thousands of purchases and another three years of PS Plus membership.
Help please?

A.Romero

Hello, apologies for digging up an old thread but I don't have sufficient rights.
My issue is that my account which I created back on my PS3 has been permanently suspended since last Friday evening.
I called PSN CS and they have told me there's nothing they can do but escalate the case and that it's been suspended because of fraud.
I don't play online apart from Destiny 2 and I don't have anyone on my friend list. All of my privacy settings are set to only me and I also have 2fa turned on.
I haven't received any notifications that any attempts were made to sign in to my account.
Also the last two PSN purchases are showing as withdrawn from my bank account and the last code I redeemed was for the recent beta that came from playstation.
I honestly have no idea what's happened and what to do if they don't give me access to my account that has thousands of purchases and another three years of PS Plus membership.
Help please?
I'd say you have to wait until they resolve the case.

Thanks.
Let me ask you something, you don't use chrome and save your log-in info of your accounts on it, right? Chrome had a built-in issue where crackers could recover the hash code with your log-in info of saved accounts on chrome through the your cookies. A browser like Brave (still Chromium-based) has already solved this issue. Firefox doesn't have this issue as well. Even if it is not your case, I'd recommend not saving your log-in credentials and passwords on chrome.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Let me ask you something, you don't use chrome and save your log-in info of your accounts on it, right? Chrome had a built-in issue where crackers could recover the hash code with your log-in info of saved accounts on chrome through the your cookies. A browser like Brave (still Chromium-based) has already solved this issue. Firefox doesn't have this issue as well. Even if it is not your case, I'd recommend not saving your log-in credentials and passwords on chrome.
EDIT: Ignore me I clearly cannot read.

Last edited:
EDIT: Ignore me I clearly cannot read.
Not at all, I may understand if you got confused by the way I put it. I had one old PSN account that I had tied log-in credentials to my chrome browser and it was the only that got hacked. They disabled 2FA and tried to change the email. Good thing I saw my email notifications from Playstation in time before I had to recover said account. It's annoying because not even passwords managers are totally safeproof of tampering.

Forth

Neophyte
Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping the escalation team will revoke their decision or at least contact me so we can talk about how my account has been permanently suspended for fraud.
I'm certain it wasn't hacked and the account was flagged by an error but I'm amazed that this has happened and that I've not had access to my account for a week now.

This has totally opened my eyes to digital ownership and I'm now finished with it.

If it's genuinely an error i'm sure they will resolve it, but if you don't get a sufficient response, escalate to the CEO, it always gets a response that way.

Forth

Neophyte
Thanks, I'm and certain it's an error, I just hope their escalation team can see that too.
Also I'm unable to refund and purchases made in the last fourteen days and recoup any remaining subscription time.
The level one CS rep is unable to access my account too and I have a feeling that if they don't revoke the suspension that they'll just shut me down.
I was only able to get the phone number in an old Reddit thread because their online chatbot was pointless.
I can honestly say that this the worst customer experience I've ever had in my life.

Last edited:

Forth

Neophyte
I just received their decision today one month later after total radio silence and they're not restoring my account that they've permanently suspended for fraud.
This is an account I've had since PS3 with over one thousand games and loads of DLC too.
I don't play online apart from Destiny which I started about three months ago, my privacy settings are all set to only me.
Every purchase I've made has been with my debit card linked to my account and the last ten purchases are showing as withdrawn from my bank account. My last purchase was Concord deluxe edition pre order which I cancelled within fourteen days once I saw the negativity escalate.
They refuse to tell me what fraud was committed and it was a final decision and that's that.
What a crock of shit.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Depending where you live Sony might be bound to some laws requiring them to let you see what data of yours they hold. You could try writing to their Data Protection Officer to see why they are accusing you of crimes and withholding your purchases.

In the UK apparently it would be a "subject access request" and they can be done over social media. I don't know if America has them though.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I just received their decision today one month later after total radio silence and they're not restoring my account that they've permanently suspended for fraud.
This is an account I've had since PS3 with over one thousand games and loads of DLC too.
I don't play online apart from Destiny which I started about three months ago, my privacy settings are all set to only me.
Every purchase I've made has been with my debit card linked to my account and the last ten purchases are showing as withdrawn from my bank account. My last purchase was Concord deluxe edition pre order which I cancelled within fourteen days once I saw the negativity escalate.
They refuse to tell me what fraud was committed and it was a final decision and that's that.
What a crock of shit.
This is terrible.
Seek legal help I would also tag PlayStation,Sony on Twitter and as many social media places you can.

Forth

Neophyte
Thanks for the help, I don't use and have any accounts for any form of social media at all so I'm unable to connect through that.
But I'll try and gain access to the data that they have on me.
Thanks.

reinking

Gold Member
That sucks big time and I hope you recover your account. I have been playing on PlayStation consoles day one but the day they ban my account is the day they can fuck right off.

Z O N E

I hope nobody minds and I'm not breaking any rules but I linked this thread to a new X account I setup to try and get PlayStation's attention to my issue.

The only thing I think could have caused this that I pre-ordered Concord deluxe edition and received the friend beta codes which I shared on this forum. But I then cancelled the preorder once I saw all the negativity and direction of the game, could that have lead to the permanent suspension?

Hope you can get it all sorted but I'm pretty sure Playstation stopped using Twitter/X regarding any customer support for a few years now.

Top Bottom