• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice Department going after anyone who supports ISIS on Twitter/FB/social media

Status
Not open for further replies.
The greatest propaganda tool ISIS has in the US is the media. The amount of hysteria it produces is absurd and does nothing but induce fear and make people think ISIS is more of a threat than it actually is.

And this notion of making it illegal to say you support it is a dangerous road to go down. The legality of stating political ideas or beliefs should never be controlled by the government, I'm surprised so many here seem to agree with the censorship.

The double standard is also ridiculous when places like stormfront are allowed to exist who's members have actually committed terrorist attacks on US soil.

I'm sure it's hard for you to understand, but it takes a hell of a lot of discipline to support a peoples right to free speech, including bigots/idiots.

The KKK have beheaded, lynched, and burn a hell of a lot of people alive, should we jail anyone who openly support them?

The KKK? You have proof of any of this still happening?

And yes, anyone who supported them should be jailed.

I'm not exactly sure how bigots have free speech when they're punished for their opinions by society these days, just like ISIS supporters will be, and KKK supporters would if the KKK was still relevant.

But yeh you're right, its hard for me to understand and society should continue to allow supporters of terrorism to have their free speech as if that makes any sense.

dareacher

Banned
The greatest propaganda tool ISIS has in the US is the media. The amount of hysteria it produces is absurd and does nothing but induce fear and make people think ISIS is more of a threat than it actually is.

And this notion of making it illegal to say you support it is a dangerous road to go down. The legality of stating political ideas or beliefs should never be controlled by the government, I'm surprised so many here seem to agree with the censorship.

The double standard is also ridiculous when places like stormfront are allowed to exist who's members have actually committed terrorist attacks on US soil.

i am curious, how much of a threat do you feel isis actually is? all these videos are fake? all these people dying fake? we should let them run rampart because they are not a big deal? The media are reporting on facts that are happening , not creating stories. Sometimes they are spun around to scare people but they are still true.

way more

I'm sorry but Benj was a moron in that regard. Let's have no security and completely liberty, that'll work out for everyone.

The bigger a society gets, the more restraints it needs lest it falls into chaos.

He never actually said that. He said, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

And that wasn't even about rights vs security. He was saying they should allow a colonial assembly to raise taxes even if the local governor didn't want to.

I don't think that's what propaganda is nor do I see hysteria or fear when I look around.

RELAYER

Banned
But yeh you're right, its hard for me to understand and society should continue to allow supporters of terrorism to have their free speech as if that makes any sense.

If you consider human history and the historic behavior of governments, it's easy to understand why some people might be uncomfortable with the government deciding who is and isn't a supporter of terrorism.

i am curious, how much of a threat do you feel isis actually is? all these videos are fake? all these people dying fake? we should let them run rampart because they are not a big deal? The media are reporting on facts that are happening , not creating stories. Sometimes they are spun around to scare people but they are still true.

When did I say any of that is fake?

I'm saying ISIS is not a direct threat to the US, but the media would have you think they will be attacking the mainland in months. Here is a pretty good article on it http://www.thenation.com/article/181880/no-isis-not-threat-us

Trago

The KKK? You have proof of any of this still happening?

And yes, anyone who supported them should be jailed.

I'm not exactly sure how bigots have free speech when they're punished for their opinions by society these days, just like ISIS supporters will be, and KKK supporters would if the KKK was still relevant.

They still have rallies and such to this day proclaiming white supremacy. They are protected by free speech. Now, of course I disagree with them, but the group and their supporters should not be prosecuted. It's their right to be able to do so.

Their relevance has fuck all to do with my point.

Dude Abides

Banned
Seems like it fits in the fire in a crowded theater exception. But also seems like it could be abused.

It does not fit in the exception at all.

Shouting fire in a crowded theater is making a (1) statement of fact that (2) is very likely to cause (3) specific and identifiable people to (4) immediately do something dangerous.

Tweeting ISIS is great is expressing (1) a political opinion that (2) may or may not cause (3) persons unknown to (4) do something dangerous at some unidentified point in the future.

The two situations are nothing alike.

dareacher

Banned
When did I say any of that is fake?

I'm saying ISIS is not a direct threat to the US, but the media would have you think they will be attacking the mainland in months. Here is a pretty good article on it http://www.thenation.com/article/181880/no-isis-not-threat-us

but its not about attacking america imo. Its about the long term problem this will turn in for the whole world if left unchecked. And to be honest , 2 terrorist attack did happen in canada in the last months, 1 in france....might not be the mighty usa but sure as hell seems like the free world to me.

They still have rallies and such to this day proclaiming white supremacy. They are protected by free speech. Now, of course I disagree with them, but the group and their supporters should not be prosecuted. It's their right to be able to do so.

Their relevance has fuck all to do with my point.

Your first post stated the KKK have beheaded, lynched, and burned a hell of a lot of people alive, and now you're arguing that they have hate rallies.

Relevance comes into play when you compare a group who has hate rallies while not causing any harm to anyone since the FBI has effectively shut them down, versus a group who actually beheads/burns people alive.

Trago

Your first post stated the KKK have beheaded, lynched, and burned a hell of a lot of people alive, and now you're arguing that they have hate rallies.

Relevance comes into play when you compare a group who has hate rallies while not causing any harm to anyone since the FBI has effectively shut them down, versus a group who actually beheads/burns people alive.

Maybe it's a bad example to you, but it's not the government's place to decide if you should go to jail over something like this. It's very much against free speech.

I don't like bigots, but people silencing them should be a bigger concern to you and me.

Saudi Arabia lashes, beheads and stones people regularly in public and yet I don't see any criminalization of speaking in support of them.

dareacher

Banned
Maybe it's a bad example to you, but it's not the government's place to decide if you should go to jail over something like this. It's very much against free speech.

I don't like bigots, but people silencing them should be a bigger concern to you and me.

so if i get this right , bigots, potential killers , terrorists, hate propagandists = i dont like
people silencing them = big concern?

what am i missing here?? its a sad day when we lost such total and complete confidence in the people governing us.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This isn't for casual support, this is for propaganda.
Quite a different matter.

esms

so if i get this right , bigots, potential killers , terrorists, hate propagandists = i dont like

what am i missing here?? its a sad day when we lost such total and complete confidence in the people governing us.

You should never have complete confidence in the people governing you. Distrust and skepticism is key to a healthy democracy.

dareacher

Banned
You should never have complete confidence in the people governing you. Distrust and skepticism is key to a healthy democracy.

oh i 100% agree with you....but there is a difference between not having commplete confidence and what i am seeing here. Hey look those people are spreading hate, encouraging behadings, recruiting our kids to do so....Gov tries to stop them , people reactiong : fuck gov is trying to take control again and thats bad....just sad is all. as i said earlier , damn if you do , damn if you dont.... the day they do reach our shores and create an even bigger problem , people will condemn the gov for closing their eyes.

"There are massive problems with what you'r doing, they are wrong"

vs

"I'm in support of killing anyone like you and divine retribution will fall on your head soon"

Not all speech in America is free, if it incites violence it's a no no. On some level, I'm okay with silencing the outright ignorant, like anti vax and climate change deniers, but society isn't at the level where that wouldn't cause massive issues, so I'm fine with just stopping hate mongers.

esms

oh i 100% agree with you....but there is a difference between not having commplete confidence and what i am seeing here. Hey look those people are spreading hate, encouraging behadings, recruiting our kids to do so....Gov tries to stop them , people reactiong : fuck gov is trying to take control again and thats bad....just sad is all. as i said earlier , damn if you do , damn if you dont.... the day they do reach our shores and create an even bigger problem , people will condemn the gov for closing their eyes.

It's because rhetorical support and material support are two drastically different things. One is stupidity, the other is a legitimate crime. Speaking out in support of a terrorist group will earn you an addition to countless watch lists, but it shouldn't earn you time in a federal prison.

Trago

It's not that I've lost complete confidence in the government, the problem is that this government we have now has absolutely demonstrated that they can abuse their power.

dareacher

Banned
It's not that I've lost complete confidence in the government, the problem is that this government we have now has absolutely demonstrated that they can abuse their power.

well rest assured they will be leaving office soon?
people fail to see we dont live in the 80s or 90s. This world we created is so SO much more complex than it was no less than 15 years ago. Governing in the age of the internet is not as simple as it seems. Governing in the age of terrorism is not as simple as it seems either.

What constitutes as "supporting ISIS"?

This looks like a way to get people to agree on it while it's used mainly for non-ISIS related cases. Why? Let's be realistic. This isn't just for ISIS. You have to be downright foolish to think this will be applied to ONLY the group known as ISIS.

What?? But the last time the US government eroded the civil liberties of it's citizens in order to fight "terrorism" worked out so well! After the wonderful Patriot Act was passed, we never had any more problems whatsoever with violent Islamic extremist- oh wait...

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
CNN should be first on the list. That network is basically an ISIS mouthpiece at this point. All day every day ISIS news.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Uhm, have I entered bizarro world where I'm the one arguing that something involving the internet might be government overreach? I would really need to know more about how specifically "support" is defined before I would be comfortable with this. People come out in support of murders and criminals, organized and independent, all the time.

Fugu

The issue of whether or not to prosecute based on speech alone is an incredibly sticky wicket unless you're some kind of hardcore pragmatist, but I think that it's pretty clear that this restriction on free speech -- as that's what it is -- is fairly unreasonable because it comes down to drawing ideological lines in the sand, which is about the most dangerous, Orwellian restriction imaginable.

Of course, it's also worth noting that supporting a group that rapes and pillages is not the same as raping and pillaging and furthermore is not the same as saying you're going to rape and pillage. It's so far removed from the act itself that, while deplorable, it's bizarre to define it as criminal.

riotous

Banned
It's really more of a "there are some specific cases where the law can be broken" not "anyone who supports ISIS on Twitter/FB/social media" kind of answer.

The actual talk is here:
http://www.c-span.org/video/?324471-2/assistant-attorney-general-john-carlin-cybersecurity

WOULD YOU CONSIDER CRIMINAL CHARGES AGAINST PEOPLE WHO ARE KIND OF PROLIFERATING ISIS SOCIAL MEDIA SITES WERE INVOLVED IN THE ISIS SOCIAL MEDIA PRODUCTION FLEX >>

YES. YOU NEED TO LOOK AT THE PARTICULAR FACTS AND THE EVIDENCE IS. BUT THAT BRINGS THE USE OF THE MATERIAL SUPPORT STATUTE SO THIS SHOULD WHEN WHEN THERE'S A DOZEN TERRORIST GROUPS AND YOU ARE PROVIDING YOUR SERVICES TO THAT TERRORIST GROUP EITHER BY PROVIDING AN ACTUAL MATERIAL, MONEY, TECHNICAL EXPERTISE OR YOUR SELF, THESE ARE CASES THAT WE HAVE AND WILL CHARGE UNDER THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM AND THAT APPROACH I THINK YOU SAW IN 2012 ABOUT 27 COUNTRIES WERE PART OF THE GLOBAL COUNTERTERRORIST FORM THAT PRODUCED SOMETHING CALLED THE ROBOT MEMORANDUM OF BEST PRACTICES. WHAT TYPE OF LEGAL CODE SHOULD BE ON THE BOOKS SHOULD ENABLE YOU TO BRING THE CHARGES BEFORE SOMEONE COMMITS A TERRORIST ACT AND WHAT I THINK YOU HAVE SEEN SINCE THEN IS THE ADOPTION BY NEARLY 20 COUNTRIES OF THE CRIMINAL CODES TO ADDRESS THE CYBER CONDUCT, SOME BOTTLED AFTER THE MATERIAL APPROACH AND USE ALL IN THE FALL THE UNPRECEDENTED UNANIMOUS APPROACH AT THE UNITED NATIONS THROUGH THE SECURITY COUNCIL AND THE SAME COUNTERTERRORISM GROUP TO TALK SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE PROBLEM OF THE FOREIGN TERRORIST FIGHTERS WITH INTERNATIONAL AND IN OVER 90 COUNTRIES CONTRIBUTED THE FIGHTERS TO SYRIA IRAQ REGION AND THAT PART OF THE APPROACH TO STOPPING THE ALL TOOLS APPROACH WOULD BE MAKING SURE THAT THE NATIONS HAVE ON THEIR BOOKS COMING OUT THEY ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE ON THE BOOKS STATUTES SO THEY CAN TAKE A CRIMINAL ACTION TO PREVENT CITIZENS IN THEIR COUNTRY TO JOINING THE FIGHT BEFORE THEY BECOME A BIGGER RISK.

Kettch

Eh, I don't think I like this. The furthest I might be comfortable with making illegal would be the production of propaganda in support of a terrorist organization. Not the sharing of it. Propaganda is designed to prey on people. I'm also not particularly comfortable with the justice department getting to decide what's a terrorist organization and what isn't, so I'd like to reserve the right to at least be able to discuss things (ISIS is obviously scum, but I'm sure you can see my concern). The absolute minimum of what needs to be preserved is the ability to advocate that an organization is removed from their list.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure I understand this line of thinking present in this thread.

Just try watching the channel and you'll see what I mean. ISIS throws out a new video and CNN rolls clips of it all day. Almost as if ISIS has it's own news network to promote themselves. I was not really being serious about CNN being first on some kinda jail list lol but rather just pointing out the ridiculousness of the network and how it relates to this.

jtb

Banned
I don't like this at all and I find the endless parade of "good"s on the first page a little disheartening.

It's really more of a "there are some specific cases where the law can be broken" not "anyone who supports ISIS on Twitter/FB/social media" kind of answer.

The actual talk is here:
http://www.c-span.org/video/?324471-2/assistant-attorney-general-john-carlin-cybersecurity

Right, that's what I'm getting from it. It's a bad precedent to set in modern times, even if ISIS does suck and supporting them could be considered dangerous.

But they've really said no such thing. This is the quote their basing everything off of.

Carlin was asked at the conference whether he would “consider criminal charges” against people who are “proliferating ISIS social media.”

His answer: “Yes. You need to look at the particular facts and evidence.” But Carlin noted that the United States could use the material support law to prosecute “technical expertise” to a designated terrorist organization. And spreading the word for ISIS online could count as such expertise.

It was a question asked off the cuff at a conference and doesn't seem to be anywhere near as broad. And I also question if the underlined is inserted by the Daily Beast author because that's quite a leap from the "material support law" cited by Carlin

Everything else is pure color by the Daily Beast inserting the quote into a context that it wasn't offered up in.

Just as I said here. This is a horribly written story that completely goes against what was said.

YOU ARE PROVIDING YOUR SERVICES TO THAT TERRORIST GROUP EITHER BY PROVIDING AN ACTUAL MATERIAL, MONEY, TECHNICAL EXPERTISE OR YOUR SELF, THESE ARE CASES THAT WE HAVE AND WILL CHARGE UNDER THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM

This is not what the Daily Beast article claims. The author pretty much made up a policy himself and pretended the FBI said it was policy.

This is NOT voicing support for ISIS. That's not who they are going after (though your likely to be put under watch. )

Cronox

Banned
Supporting ISIS online already comes with consequences - getting on a list of people that's monitored by feds of some organization or another. If you don't think a precedent such as this could be abused in the future you have no perspective at all. We see laws meant for anti-terrorism used against regular citizens nearly daily, and you don't think this would be a bad idea? Please.

Luckily, the article says that there is push-back, and hopefully what Mr. Carlin won't get his way on this matter.

Edit: even if the article was written poorly and 1st amendment rights aren't in danger, I'm still appalled by the support it has in this thread.

I don't like this, it's pretty fucking Orwellian.

Getting closer and closer to thoughtcrime.

ISIS is intellectually and morally repugnant, but if we're going to selectively press charges against hateful rhetoric... well, that's not a good road to go down if we're aspiring to be a free society.

im not sure why people are talking about precedence

pretty sure people have been arrested for treason before

understand that twitter isnt just a forum of communication, its their recruiting platform youre actively helping them get more members

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
It's the fucking USA. We have killed many, many more women and children than ISIS could ever hope for. Pretty sure we have even killed some ISIS women and children! Everyone that supports the USA is a piece of shit.

Because that's all the United States does, right? Unlike ISIS, the USA is not a terrorist organization, but instead a massive country with both good and bad qualities. The fuck is good about ISIS?

esms

Because that's all the United States does, right? Unlike ISIS, the USA is not a terrorist organization, but instead a massive country with both good and bad qualities. The fuck is good about ISIS?

I would feel pretty terrorized by the US if I lived in Pakistan.

Frog-fu

Banned
Seems like it fits in the fire in a crowded theater exception. But also seems like it could be abused.

Some asshole shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre can directly lead to injury to other people. It's not quite the same with people being transparent about shitty organisations they support.

The Westboro Baptist Church are the scum of the earth, and yet they have a right to be as hateful and moronic as they want to be, because that's the kind of society we live in, one that doesn't silences oppition and censures dissent - or rather, that's the society we supposedly live in.

I understand the desire to deny ISIS and its supporters a platform, because they're lunatics, but if we decided to pick and choose what is and isn't okay to say to the point you can't be open about your personal views or organisations you support, that sets us upon a slippery slope I am not comfortable with.

sk3

Banned
Clearly what America needs is more people in prison.

Ya'll are fucking crazy for supporting this thoughtcrime bullshit.

This isn't really anything new, see: the Red Scare. Any support of Communism was seen as treason essentially.

Though, I guess you could argue that this is different, because this "scare" could prove legitimate. Anyone spreading ISIS propaganda is pretty damn suspicious in my eyes.

dareacher

Banned
Some asshole shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre can directly lead to injury to other people. It's not quite the same with people being transparent about shitty organisations they support.

The Westboro Baptist Church are the scum of the earth, and yet they have a right to be as hateful and moronic as they want to be, because that's the kind of society we live in, one that doesn't silences oppition and censures dissent - or rather, that's the society we supposedly live in.

I understand the desire to deny ISIS and its supporters a platform, because they're lunatics, but if we decided to pick and choose what is and isn't okay to say to the point you can't be open about your personal views or organisations you support, that sets us upon a slippery slope I am not comfortable with.

Obviously , because its a 'slippery slope' you feel its ok (not ok in the sense that you support it but more that they have the right to do it)for those people to recruit kids to become killers, propagande terrorism,rape , murder etc....

then what do you propose? we let them go....see where it leads? see what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom