• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 6 - The Final Showdown - Olyphant & Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Whole episode was centered around an interplay between the past and the future. I think after meeting with Winona last episode, Raylan has finally gotten it into his head that he needs to let go of the past and focus on the future. That's my initial reaction at least.

Can't wait for next week. (preview spoilers)
Finally seems like we're going to get some more Wynn Duffy

Edit:

-Sepinwall's review

IronRinn

Whole episode was centered around an interplay between the past and the future. I think after meeting with Winona last episode, Raylan has finally gotten it into his head that he needs to let go of the past and focus on the future. That's my initial reaction at least.
I guess he meant he didn't care where the interred his mother either, then? Seemed like a bit of a sharp 180, but I guess it would go along with your interpretation.

Niraj

I guess he meant he didn't care where the interred his mother either, then? Seemed like a bit of a sharp 180, but I guess it would go along with your interpretation.

Yeah, I don't know, I was kind of surprised by that too. Maybe we'll get some insight in some of the post-episode interviews.

I wish Garrett Dillahunt had had more to do. I liked what we got of him, but it didn't feel like enough. Maybe that's just me.

-EW: 'Justified' postmortem: Mary Steenburgen talks about Katherine Hale's loyalty

-Yahoo TV: 'Justified' Postmortem: Graham Yost on the Dungeon, Death, and Real Harlan DJ

Yeah I thought with his discussion with Winona, that Raylan was ready to move on and the only unfinished business left is Boyd.

Still, I thought it was a pretty creative way to show Raylan coming to terms with Arlo and their ugly history. After all that anger and hate that Raylan harbored over the years, he realized there wasn't anything left to hate except an empty shed. So in the end, I felt that he was apathetic towards the graves because the past is really just the past for him now. (well except for Boyd)

Can't wait for next week. (preview spoilers)
Finally seems like we're going to get some more Wynn Duffy

some more Wynn Duffy in a speedo :p

Niraj

Yeah I thought with his discussion with Winona, that Raylan was ready to move on and the only unfinished business left is Boyd.

Still, I thought it was a pretty creative way to show Raylan coming to terms with Arlo and their ugly history. After all that anger and hate that Raylan harbored over the years, he realized there wasn't anything left to hate except an empty shed. So in the end, I felt that he was apathetic towards the graves because the past is really just the past for him now. (well except for Boyd)

some more Wynn Duffy in a speedo :p

Yeah, good stuff. You should read the Yahoo TV postmortem, they talk a bit more abou that. There are some mild spoilers for upcoming episodes but nothing earth shattering.

Well, it's what we all wanted, deep down inside :p

That was an outstanding episode of television right there. The dialogue in this show, goddamn, there's nothing else like it on tv nor has there been since Deadwood abruptly ended. Gonna miss this so much in 5 week's time.

Phenomenal episode.

Boyd has to die and Ava's probably gonna go with him. The point of no return has officially been past. Someone with common sense, me, would take that 100k + the woman I love and jet. Hell, let me be Ava for a second, 50k and I'm gone too maybe...well in terms of being a criminal in Harlan, Co. that kind of money would be good enough.

Right now, in this episode those two have made their bed and they're gonna have to sleep in it. Play with fire too many times and you'll get burned.

You two fools have an out and you're sticking around. The demise is going be something for sure.

What a fantastic episode. I don't know what I'll do without Justified in my tv rotation, the writing and characters gone forever :( just like deadwood, won't be another one like it ever.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Lucky enough to have my birthday on Justified day this year :D Hope it's a really good one.

Happy Birthday Niraj!

"This is bullshit. You shot me in the back."

"You wanted to get shot in the front you shoulda run toward me."

Incredible.

"Harlan...hell of a place to make your fortune"

Nice catch!

Can't believe there's only 5 left. Holy shit.

;__;

I'm going to have separation anxiety for sure.

It'll be tough not having the show around anymore, but I'm always happy whenever a show doesn't overstay its welcome, plus there are so many other great shows on TV that I think I'll manage

tTmLRVu.gif

Niraj

Happy Birthday Niraj!

Incredible.

Nice catch!

;__;

It'll be tough not having the show around anymore, but I'm always happy whenever a show doesn't overstay its welcome, plus there are so many other great shows on TV that I think I'll manage

Thanks man :) yeah I'm glad it's going to end before it potentially got stale, but the Justified-Mad Men two punch is gonna be rough :(

KUpYXJT.jpg

"I don't see you pulling thrillseeker holdups with a Born To Lose tattoo on your chest", oh Ty Walker, you not only quoted De Niro from Heat but went out like him too.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Mad Men series finale is on my birthday, both shows are going to be gone for good by the end of May. But at least Hannibal comes back in early June.

Fantastic episode, I honestly didn't expect Walker to go out like that so early, I was expecting at least another episode of him.

Raylan is playing things a little fast and loose, setting up bait for Boyd like that.

Niraj

Happy birthday dude. i missed this post earlier, and i also just realized that the Justified finale airs on my birthday

Thanks dude, and that's a killer present there.

The Mad Men series finale is on my birthday, both shows are going to be gone for good by the end of May. But at least Hannibal comes back in early June.

Fantastic episode, I honestly didn't expect Walker to go out like that so early, I was expecting at least another episode of him.

Raylan is playing things a little fast and loose, setting up bait for Boyd like that.

Mad Men finale is going to be amazing.

Wheres the episode 9 preview?

http://www.fxnetworks.com/video/411165763800

- Matt Zoller Seitz's review for NY Mag:
There are a lot of complex and slightly fuzzy (or obscured) agendas happening in the final stretch of this series. Why did Avery allow Raylan and Boyd to personally accompany him into the basement while he retrieved the reward money, if not to tantalize Boyd and perhaps set him up for some kind of ambush should he continue with his plans to steal the loot? (“You sure you want me to take that bait?” Boyd asks his frenemy. “'Cause this fox goes for that rabbit, it’s all over, Raylan.”) Is Katherine only sleeping with Avery to set a trap to nail the man she thinks is responsible for her late husband’s death? Or is there real affection there, and does that engagement ring mean something to her? Did Avery give her the ring as a “keep your friends close, your dead ex-partner’s wife closer”–type maneuver? Or does he mean it when he says he loves Katherine? Is he so keen on building a weed empire on Harlan’s arable land that he’ll give up everything else, including Katherine, to get it? Who was the snitch? (The show is holding that fact in reserve like a secret ace card, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s Wynn.) Every surviving major character is obsessed with something. The only obsession that doesn’t seem unhealthy and self-destructive is Ava’s. (She just wants to get out of town and start a new life, with or without Boyd.)

Even characters who think they aren’t obsessed seem obsessed. Raylan thinks he’s acquired a new clarity, but maybe he’s just focused his doggedness rather than transcended it. There’s still a chance that Raylan’s story could end in bitter irony rather than in triumph or sweet relief; he’s a mean sonofabitch, and he’s never been all that good at reading and understanding himself. “I do like happy endings,” Boyd sneers at Raylan. “Well, this is one of those classic stories where the hero gets his man, then he rides off into the sunset,” Raylan says. Boyd laughs in his face: “Well, maybe it’s like that other classic, where a guy chases a whale to the ends of the earth till he drowns for his troubles.”

For all his signs of emotional growth, is Raylan still more Captain Ahab than George Bailey? The jury’s still out. While Justified doesn’t flaunt its psychological acuity like some other TV dramas, it’s always been hip to the fact that people don’t always know why they do things — and that sometimes they think they’re doing something for one reason when something else is really driving them. You could argue that Raylan doesn’t really need to personally get Boyd — his colleagues could do that without him, in theory, anyhow — but the fact that he’s boiled all of his law-enforcement activities down to one task (get Boyd) and made everything else an adjunct of that (including nailing Avery, Katherine, Wynn, and their affiliated goons) seems like a sign of progress. He’s not acting like a man with a death wish anymore. He wants to live. A little bit, anyway. “I want to live again!” George Bailey prays on the same bridge where he’d tried to kill himself. But that Searchers shot keeps me wondering. In theory, everything Raylan is doing right now is geared toward pushing him toward a quiet life as a family man, but at the end of The Searchers, Ethan Edwards doesn’t get to go inside the house. He walks away towards the horizon (into the sunset, per Raylan’s description), and the film closes the door on him.

“I gotta admit, there’s a small part of me that’s gonna miss this when it’s over,” Raylan tells Boyd.

“Well, don’t eulogize the past till the future gets its turn,” Boyd replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
After so many shows have gone out with a whimper recently, it's great that one of my favorite shows is finishing strong. Last season was a pretty big mess, but they've definitely recovered.

I honestly don't know what direction things will go.

Pretty sure I just watched a top 5 Justified episode. All around amazing dialogue.

To top it off they quoted Heat which is funny since I called that this season would basically be Justified: Heat Edition in last season's thread.

I gotta admit, there's a small large part of me that's gonna miss this when it's over.

Pretty sure I just watched a top 5 Justified episode. All around amazing dialogue.

To top it off they quoted Heat which is funny since I called that this season would basically be Justified: Heat Edition in last season's thread.

I gotta admit, there's a small large part of me that's gonna miss this when it's over.

Seriously, I love the show and enjoy the Justified Crew we have here in this thread.

Not a big fan of the 'using real people as inner voice of deceased' trope in shows at this point, but
Arlo
being back for one last round was an excellent call-back. It seems like they are dealing with them in a short story manner. Have the normal plot go forward, while tying in an older element.

Also, about shotguns, about what's still coming:
shotgun in Ava's house, shotgun in Given's house, shotgun that was used to kill Boyd's brother, shotgun that was used to kill the plot-related snitch guy... so, unless I'm mistaking a metaphor of disarmament for setting something up, either Arlo was the guy who shot him or even the snitch, or somebody is gonna get shotgunned at the end of this.

I mean, maybe it's just a coincidence because there are so many guns in this show anyway, but that word -shotgun!- seemed to be all over the place in this episode in a more than coincidence manner, and I know what Chekov's gun is, so that stood out to me.
Or did miss Arlo shotgunning somebody in past seasons (kinda think I did)? I don't have them fresh in my memory, so I wouldn't know. But if so, that would be the link in a 'everything comes in three's' reference, not a reference forward or to a plot element. In which case it's just a nice detail, for a specific effect, but doesn't mean anything other than telling us "here be shotguns"

It's also strange how sympathetic both Choo-choo and Walker seemed at the end. And that Moby Dick reference and the ending. Hmm.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What an episode. I'm not sure there's any show out there that can mix the tension and humour like Justified, Mad Men comes close.

Shame to see Walker go, but I'm glad he got an awesome semi-final line.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just dawned on me, is the season 6 lady doc brown's wife from BTTF3?

Niraj

Have some plans later, but hoping to be back before the episode airs. If not, hold down the fort without me ;_;7

Top Bottom