• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 6 - The Final Showdown - Olyphant & Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

I'm not a fan of Raylan going out without his badge and stuff. It doesn't make much sense regarding his character. Yes. He's been known to bend the rules a bit but he's never just gone by himself. It feels forced so there's eventual retribution against Raylan for his actions.

Yea I'm not buying this. What possible reason did he have not to go back to Lexington after it's abundantly clear that the lawyer (and even Art) are wondering about his involvement in the matter. Yes, he has to catch Boyd and Ava and recover the money but there's no reason to give up the badge and go rogue. It definitely feels like forced drama being injected into a story that really doesn't need it at this point.

kirblar

Yea I'm not buying this. What possible reason did he have not to go back to Lexington after it's abundantly clear that the lawyer (and even Art) are wondering about his involvement in the matter. Yes, he has to catch Boyd and Ava and recover the money but there's no reason to give up the badge and go rogue. It definitely feels like forced drama being injected into a story that really doesn't need it at this point.
Because they're (Rachel and Raylan) both fucked and they know it.

Has Shea Whigham been on the show before?

Could have sworn he was, but it's entirely possible I'm mixing it up with the other 100 shows I've seen him on.

RangersFan

Wait Shea Whigham was in this episode? Why can't I recall seeing him? Who did he play?

Also great episode. Really like how this season has picked up going in towards the end. Also good redemption for Mikey. Wynn will live through this series, yes!

From Yost's interview with YahooTV:
Q: Vasquez pushed the theory that Raylan was in bed with Ava to steal the $10 million. Obviously, it sets it up where Art needs Raylan to come back to the office, and again, he won’t. He leaves his badge in the car with Earl when he abandons him for the marshals to come collect. Art says he’ll be the one coming after Raylan. What’s Raylan’s mindset?

A: Well, he’s going to do what he’s got to do, and if it means no longer being a marshal for this period, then that’s what he’ll do. He doesn’t want to tarnish the badge, so he’s going to leave the badge behind. But he has got to find Ava before anyone else does, especially with Boyd in the wind. Now he’s got two very dangerous people who want to get Ava, torture her until she gives up the information of where the money is, and then kill her. So that’s his job, and he’s not going to go back to Lexington and as Raylan would put it, take himself off the board.

My professor was at a conference today so I managed to plow through the season from the second episode onwards. Wynn's reaction to losing Mikey got me more emotional than I ever thought it would. No character is wasted on this series. I'm going to miss it so much.

Zaph

Yup, I don't know about this story. Yeah Raylan has done some questionable shit for a LEO, but he exists in a fictional world where he's constantly up against larger than life violent, organised criminals with little backup. In context, Art, Rachel and the lawyer really exaggerate how much of a loose cannon Raylan is. And this whole storyline of refusing to return to Lexington then dropping the badge just builds on that misguided development. If seems like a very forced way to put time pressure on everyone and then get them all in the same place.

I saw Raylan refusing to go back as completely within character. I mean he orchestrated a Mob hit against Nicky Augustine to protect his own, and there was that time when he went off to confront the Bennett Clan on his own despite Art saying he'd have to go at it alone. He did the same thing when he went up against Quarles.... So idk why you guys are acting like it's out of character.

I saw Raylan refusing to go back as completely within character. I mean he orchestrated a Mob hit against Nicky Augustine to protect his own, and there was that time when he went off to confront the Bennett Clan on his own despite Art saying he'd have to go at it alone. He did the same thing when he went up against Quarles.... So idk why you guys are acting like it's out of character.

I think it was more that those previous examples were set up a little better. This episode was moving at a pretty high rate of speed, and not stopping to answer questions all that much, either. Here's Zachariah, because of course he's there, you knew he'd be there, so here he is. We're not gonna explain it, really, and we don't really have to. Here's Markham, he just bought a shit-ton of cops. You know he's rich as shit, you know he buys people, so he just bought some. It's not even much of a leap, so we're not gonna stop down and explain it, because again - we don't really have to, and you're having too much fun racing to the end of the story with us, right?

The last few episodes have been playing to me VERY much like how I read the end of a Leonard book - I'm just FLYING to get to the end, and sometimes I skip little details because I'm going so fast, and it's not like Elmore spent a lot of time getting flowery anyway, or slowing down to make sure the exposition was all in place.

Raylan coming to the crossroads where he's like "I gotta put my badge on pause, I guess" just wasn't really worked up to all that well. And the way it played out was pretty nonchalant, on top of that. But both the people telling the story and the majority of the audience seems way more than willing to forgive it, because we're so close to the end and we gotta get there without taking a foot off the gas.

Which makes it all the more important they stick this landing because if they don't, stuff like this is going to sour a little upon looking back at it.

MisterR

Yup, I don't know about this story. Yeah Raylan has done some questionable shit for a LEO, but he exists in a fictional world where he's constantly up against larger than life violent, organised criminals with little backup. In context, Art, Rachel and the lawyer really exaggerate how much of a loose cannon Raylan is. And this whole storyline of refusing to return to Lexington then dropping the badge just builds on that misguided development. If seems like a very forced way to put time pressure on everyone and then get them all in the same place.

This isn't the first time Raylan has done this shit.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
"You know what he did?"
"Historically, or on a specific day?"

lol

Raylan is dead serious

Top Bottom