• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 6 - The Final Showdown - Olyphant & Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm glad the show is going out before it gets bad. Last season had sniffs of a sharp decline, but they stabilized well at the end of that season and throughout this one.

I don't think it took a downwards path per se. From everything I've seen, the writers had to deal with the unexpected departure of an important actor, which left them SOL. It's not easy to run a show with such finely crafted writing when one of its cogs disappear.

I know the show won't ever get the type of following to have something like the Phantom Edit done to it, but half a good season could probably be made out of Season 5.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
It's pretty hard to track down.

here's a picture, though.

pronto_james.jpg

lol nice.

Man, I'm so not ready to say goodbye to this show. And then to think that Mad Men ends only about 5 weeks after this. Sad times.

I know man :( total bummer

That Harlan Roulette clip he had embedded in there was so strange without the music.

I don't mean to dog-pile on it. In fact, at the time I didn't really read threads or reviews on the show at the time so my opinions my own and not part of any hatetrain. I just remember getting to a point where I gave up on it for probably 5 or 6 episodes at least. Decided to slog through them though and was glad I did because I did enjoy the last few episodes.

I didn't know S5 hate was a fully formed thing until I was really getting into this last season and started following threads and looking forward to reviews.

Sheroking

I didn't know S5 hate was a fully formed thing until I was really getting into this last season and started following threads and looking forward to reviews.

I mean, even Season 5 is only weak relative to Justified's own curve. It would have been a solid season on a lesser show.

But when what you get is only "good" on a show that's normally "great", you're going to find disappointed fans.

- Quartz: A eulogy for “Justified,” the most underappreciated drama of our time
To say nothing of its uniformly excellent writing and acting, Justified was, perhaps more than any other show, one that knew precisely what it was and what it wanted to accomplish. It was always perfectly comfortable in its own skin, and despite a few missteps along the way, it refused to be anything other than its strange, funny, verbose, serpentine self.

Based on a character by the late novelist Elmore Leonard, Justified told the story of Deputy US marshal Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant) as he is reassigned to his hometown of Harlan, Kentucky after shooting a criminal in Miami—the result of his fabled quick draw. Raylan’s childhood friend, Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins), has grown into a criminal mastermind of sorts, a silver-tongued chameleon as Alan Sepinwall aptly calls him, a man who is always 10 steps ahead of everyone else and can talk his way in or out of any situation imaginable. The two men share a witty rapport even as they remain enemies—they both know they share a history, that they’re two sides of the same coin, two kindred spirits who will always have Harlan running through their veins for as long as they still draw breath.

Olyphant and Goggins were both born to play these roles, assisted in no small part by the deft writing of creator Graham Yost and his team of scribes. They, too, stormed out of the gate with a serious advantage, having the writings of Elmore Leonard—who liked the show and frequently consulted with the producers until his death in 2013—from which to derive ideas.

IronRinn

I can't believe today is the day. Girlfriend and I followed Sepinwall's advice and rewatched the pilot last night. Really glad we did. Not only was it cool to see all the things mentioned that they eventually touch upon over the course of the series, but it reminded me of why we got into the show in the first place. Great pilot.

Christ, seeing the difference in ratings for the penultimate episode of this and the penultimate episode of the unending stream of drek that was Sons of Anarchy is just infuriating.

I don't think it took a downwards path per se. From everything I've seen, the writers had to deal with the unexpected departure of an important actor, which left them SOL. It's not easy to run a show with such finely crafted writing when one of its cogs disappear.

That's been bothering me for awhile, actually. Especially since it happened again this year with Garret Dillahunt. If you're hired to do a show, expecially a show as well known (comparatively) as Justified, you know what you're getting into. It's not like they signed you and then said, "surprise, you're here for three years!" It's a 13-episode season. Suck it up and drive on, ffs.

Maybe part of it is that they get paid more per episode than many people get per year so I feel like they're being babies about it.

IronRinn

That's been bothering me for awhile, actually. Especially since it happened again this year with Garret Dillahunt. If you're hired to do a show, expecially a show as well known (comparatively) as Justified, you know what you're getting into. It's not like they signed you and then said, "surprise, you're here for three years!" It's a 13-episode season. Suck it up and drive on, ffs.

Maybe part of it is that they get paid more per episode than many people get per year so I feel like they're being babies about it.

With Dillahunt, I was under the impression that he and they knew he would have to leave and they wanted him to do the part anyway. Maybe I heard incorrectly, though

Edit: Someone feel free to correct me. I can't find anything about him leaving prematurely.

With Dillahunt, I was under the impression that he and they knew he would have to leave and they wanted him to do the part anyway. Maybe I heard incorrectly, though

Edit: Someone feel free to correct me. I can't find anything about him leaving prematurely.
That's correct. They knew he had limited amount of time before going back to his other projects, so they wrote the role with that in mind.

Did not know that, I just saw an article that said he had to leave so they had to hastily write his exit. It reminded me of Baptiste/Gathegi so I was miffed. Especially since I really liked his character.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Did not know that, I just saw an article that said he had to leave so they had to hastily write his exit. It reminded me of Baptiste/Gathegi so I was miffed. Especially since I really liked his character.
I think it was a combination of the both. They wanted Dillahunt but when they started negotiating with him, they found out about the limitations on his time, so they had to kill his character earlier than originally planned and wrote in Boone to fill that spot.

IronRinn

I do agree with you. I really liked Walker and wish we had had more time with him. (I really like Boone, too, for that matter, but Walker's exit still felt a bit premature).

I think it was a combination of the both. They wanted Dillahunt but when they started negotiating with him, they found out about the limitations on his time, so they had to kill his character earlier than originally planned and wrote in Boone to fill that spot.

This is probably what wound up happening.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm getting Popeye's tonight, some proper fried chicken to feast on while watching the finale. Seems right.

I wish I had a closer Popeyes :(

Going to read all the articles on this page. I really do hope more people check this show out once it's done.

- THR: 'Justified' Cast and Creator Share Their Favorite Deaths
Goggins

Margo's death, season two, was pretty epic. I just thought that whole run with the love she had for this little girl, the daughter she never had, was just beautiful. Things that I've been involved with, and people who have reached their demise at my hand, are things that stand out to me; Boyd actually hasn't killed too many people. Devil (Kevin Rankin), was so gut-wrenching. I thought the surprise of Johnny's (David Meunier) death, was a bit of a shock — it was a bit of a shock to me when I read it. Quarles' death was pretty insane. I thought last year the 21-yard rule when AJ Buckley's Danny landed on that knife in the pit. I couldn't believe that when I read it; that was crazy! The most violent for me, the hardest because of the feeling behind it, was Lee Paxton (Sam Anderson). He was just sitting there, and he says, "Small town never forget." And [Boyd] just lays it out that I'm about to come there and put this gun, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're going to be vilified as a person who commits suicide for the rest of your reputation in this community. It was horrible! I don't know how many times Boyd and Wynn Duffy (Jere Burns) could be sprayed with blood! (Laughs.) I mean, it's the same shot. It's always just the same shot! I think it's happened three or four times. The death with the cigarettes?!

I felt replacing Dillahunt with a less professional, more psychotic henchman was incredible though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
CHOO CHOO

Ausiello:

Tonight’s Justified closer is an immensely satisfying bookend to the pilot, not to mention one of the best series finales ever.

(vague spoiler-ish comments)
There are at least two great surprises (one of which literally made my jaw drop), a handful of wonderful callbacks and, in the great tradition of this fine show, several do-or-die sequences that will have you biting your nails completely off and spitting them across your living room into the fireplace where no one will find them until next winter when it’s time to resume log-burning.

YPRFRg0.gif

I just finished re-watching the first episode. It's amazing how fully formed the show was when it came out of the gate. All the elements that would go on to define the show were already well in place. There's a couple of great moments between Raylan, Boyd and Ava that I hope get callbacks tonight. It really helped get me hyped for the finale tonight.

Top Bottom